Utah

About Utah: The ski bums next door

Comments

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    April 29, 2013 5:04 a.m.

My spouse and I are retired too, in the same age range with the "ski bums." We don't ski. We look after rentals that belong to my parents (ages 91 and 92), help my dad by doing back up for his farm related tasks, and visit grandchildren and their parents in four states (none in the one where we live). We have little side diversions such as gardening and overseeing the building of a mountain "Bed, Shower and Beyond Our Budget" structure. In May my husband will squeeze in involvement with three Eagle Scout projects relating to the moving of a historic cabin from one small town to another (a much too long story). This morning I'll be ordering a new tractor tire my dad plans to install on an ancient and beloved tractor, a "to do" on a list with a dozen other details. Lee Benson, that is a nice article, and I'm betting you can find a lot of "retirees" that aren't sitting in the TV room. Sometimes I wish I had retired to a ski area.

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    April 29, 2013 7:20 a.m.

Welcome to Utah Chuck and Paddy!!!

This is the greatest place in the world!

• luv2organize Gainesville, VA
    April 29, 2013 8:46 a.m.

Sounds like they managed their money well so they could live the dream! Congrats!

• Betcha Waltham, MA
    April 29, 2013 9:20 a.m.

I loved reading about these great people, WOW, I love skiing, my husband is about to retire, but does not ski, so I don't know what he will do, as for me, I will hit the slopes, and Utah is in fact the greatest snow on earth. Welcome to Utah!!

• Upson Downs Sandy, UT
    April 29, 2013 9:39 a.m.

The downside of these out of staters retiring to Utah is that often they want to change the State of Utah to be like the State they are getting away from. Now we just have alot of extra people who want to change a "Pretty Great State."

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 29, 2013 11:07 a.m.

They made it work and they're living the dream. Great story.

• roberto Moses Lake, WA
    April 29, 2013 7:38 p.m.

Dang! I'm jealous!!!

• JKR Holladay, UT
    May 7, 2013 10:48 a.m.

Awesome column! I'd like to ski with these guys.