NFL draft: BYU's Ziggy Ansah taken at No. 5 in the 2013 NFL draft

Comments

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    April 25, 2013 6:57 p.m.

Congrats Ziggy, from unknown to tied for the highest draft pick ever from BYU in a few short months. Quite the story.

• technonerd7 orem, ut
    April 25, 2013 6:59 p.m.

Congrats Ziggy! Hope you have an awesome and great career in the NFL!

• nielsen American Fork, UT
    April 25, 2013 6:59 p.m.

You go ZIggy! He's going to be awesome in the NFL. Can't wait to watch him play.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2013 7:05 p.m.

I like the comment: Ziggy is the Ansah!!!" Cougar becomes a Lion!!!
    Biggest problem is I am going to miss watching him progress at the Y.
    More missionaries to Ghana!!!
    I wish Ziggy all the best and Hope he can bless his home land with his success here.

• USNGary South Jordan, UT
    April 25, 2013 7:05 p.m.

Proud to see Ziggy go so high. Wish he would have gone to Cleveland. Don't really want him learning from Suh. Dirty player

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    April 25, 2013 7:40 p.m.

Wow, suddenly I'm a Detroit fan, best wishes Ziggy!

• SSmith Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2013 7:50 p.m.

Way to go Ziggy! Hey, I thought Star was supposed to be high on the list too.

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    April 25, 2013 7:56 p.m.

Congrats to Ziggy!

• USNGary South Jordan, UT
    April 25, 2013 8:01 p.m.

Wish Ziggy would have gone to browns. Awesome to have such a great NFL player introduce him

• Striker Omaha, NE
    April 25, 2013 8:23 p.m.

So much for some other team of some other school predicting their player would be #1 overall! Hilarious.

To be drafted from the lips of one of the all-time greats makes this story even better. He is living the football player's dream. I can't get over what a neat moment this is for him and for BYU.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    April 25, 2013 8:39 p.m.

RE: Striker

No need to talk smack here... Star was a stud and will make an immediate impact in the league. He slid a little--probably due to the heart condition--but he was still a top pick and will have an amazing career. Congrats to both Star and Ziggy.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 25, 2013 8:41 p.m.

• 86&90UTE Holladay, UT
    April 25, 2013 9:13 p.m.

Congrats to Ziggy! He is a beast! Interestingly, he will be wearing former Utah standout and Detroit Lion Luther Elliss's former number, No. 94, for the Lions!

• joseywales Park City, UT
    April 25, 2013 10:09 p.m.

Striker- It wasn't us Ute fans saying that Star was a potential #1, it was the national media. When ESPN, or whoever starts saying something, it then becomes easy for others to pick up on it and start saying it as well. Still, not participating in the combine for medical reasons, and being a 1st round pick is still quite the accomplishment. Honestly, in the first few rounds some players can go a little higher or lower because teams have different needs. Notice that there were a lot of linemen taken, and few skill positions in the first round this year. Congrats to both Ziggy and Star!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    April 25, 2013 10:43 p.m.

" It wasn't us Ute fans saying that Star was a potential #1, it was the national media. "

Are you kidding me? I don't know how many Ute fans either told me personally or that I read stated he'd be #1. Just plain idiocy. The guy was good, but his senior season was not as stellar, and would no way have been #1. People surely fell prey to the media, but most fans do. I was surprised he went so low, but thrilled to see Ziggy go so high. Just glad I don't have to listen to your fans spouting all that ridiculousness anymore. Ziggy going very high will help that too.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    April 25, 2013 10:43 p.m.

2013 NFL Lottery...

Round 1:

#5 Detroit Lions DE E. Ansah BYU

#14 Carolina Panthers DT S. Lotulelei Utah

Nuff Said.

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    April 25, 2013 10:48 p.m.

Congrats to both Ziggy and Star! I believe both players are going to make an impact for their respective teams.

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    April 25, 2013 10:52 p.m.

I have been a Lions for for 30years plus. I am thrilled!

• Stop The Nonsense El Paso, TX
    April 26, 2013 12:04 a.m.

As a BYU fan, I am absolutely thrilled for Ziggy! I am also very excited for Star, and hope that his heart condition has been corrected so that both players can have long, successful careers. I will be rooting for both of them to succeed. I hope we all can avoid the smack talk about draft order and just enjoy the fact that both schools had picks in the top 15 of the 1st round. Incredible!

I have never cheered for the Lions (because of Suh), but I like Ziggy a whole lot more than I dislike Suh so will now cheer for the Lions whenever they aren't playing the 49ers. :)

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2013 1:27 a.m.

I am thrilled that both Ziggy and Star went high in the draft. We'll have to see how well they do. Now I might actually have a reason to watch the Lions on Thanksgiving Day!

Now, to settle something:

--------------------
    @poyman
    Round 1:

#5 Detroit Lions DE E. Ansah BYU

#14 Carolina Panthers DT S. Lotulelei Utah

Nuff Said.
    --------------------

Current players in the NFL:
    BYU 8 (now 9 with Ziggy).
    Utah 22 (now 23 with Star).

Nuff said

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    April 26, 2013 1:52 a.m.

Congrats to Ziggy! Such a cool story.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    April 26, 2013 7:02 a.m.

Into the football abyss Ziggy goes. Goodbye Ziggy, it was fun while it lasted.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    April 26, 2013 7:32 a.m.

Ziggy you are not in Kansas any more.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 26, 2013 7:32 a.m.

Here let me try this again...

Congrats to Ziggy! Can you imagine the dreams that young boys and girls now have back where Ziggy came from in Africa? What a story, what an inspiration to them and to everyone in the world.

Congrats to Bronco, BYU football, BYU, etc.

And congrats to Star as well, another 'first rounder'.

Hope that doesn't ruffle some feathers and meets the politically correct politeness standard.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 26, 2013 7:40 a.m.

Striker is correct, why pretend otherwise? utah "fans" wrong again and this one undoubtedly hurt.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    April 26, 2013 7:41 a.m.

Congratulations, Ziggy! I hope your meteoric progress in football continues.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    April 26, 2013 7:47 a.m.

as the old saying goes - you can't teach speed and Ziggy has it - lots of it!! Speed is why he was drafted #5 by the Lions. It is unheard of to have a guy his size with his speed. Many compare him to former great Bruce Smith. Ziggy can be a good - even great - NFL player if he stays healthy and continues to progress. He will have to get a bit bigger and stronger and he will have to be a quick learner but all those are within his grasp. He is smart - he is coach able - he is humble and most of all he is a great overall athlete.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    April 26, 2013 8:33 a.m.

Congratulations to both Ziggy and Star! Both great kids and outstanding ambassadors of their respective institutions! May they both shine in the NFL and have very long careers.

For Ziggy, the ideal scenario for him is that he would thrive and be wildly successful in the NFL and then someone writes a book about his amazing story and make it into a movie. That would truly be something, wouldn't it?

Go Ziggy! Go Star! May fame and it's attached millions never corrupt you! And may more missionaries find more Ziggys and bring them to BYU. I'm loving it!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 26, 2013 8:35 a.m.

THis just proofs Bronco is a great recruiter and coach, to discover this talent so long ago.

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    April 26, 2013 8:42 a.m.

UTE FAN -

We went for years when it was the opposite. I don't care one way or the other.

Congrats to Ziggy and Star. They will both represent their respective schools and their common church well.

Nuff said

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    April 26, 2013 8:43 a.m.

Utes Fan

Number people who care (except for the beside themselves with jealousy kids on the hill):

ZERO!

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    April 26, 2013 8:52 a.m.

I've been an unfortunate fan of the Lions since Scott Mitchell and Barry Sanders played there. I can say this, I was totally bummed that Ziggy went to this train wreck of an organization. The Ford family knows they will make money regardless of the product they put on the field and they make terrible decisions. Management has been so poor there and player development has been non-existent. Ziggy deserves and needs a better organization than Detroit. Just look at how the Detroit "fans" (thanks for that one Duckhunter) are reacting the pick. Detroit is the worst situation for Ziggy.

• sls Columbia, MO
    April 26, 2013 9:02 a.m.

Detroit coaches knew what they were getting in Ziggy. I think they (and Ziggy) will come out looking good.

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2013 9:21 a.m.

@utes fan,

This story is about Ansah and his draft status. Take a deep breath and refocus. Unfortunately, "Nuff said" seldom comes true.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    April 26, 2013 9:24 a.m.

Duckhunter - Why would Utah fans be upset? The Panthers is a great situation for Star to join. He will be an instant starter bookended by two great young Defensive Ends, a 4-3 scheme, a very good young linebacker behind him and a team that already has great connections with the Utah program (Smith / Gross) and a polynesian / LDS connection there with the kid from Stanford. I see nothing but good from this. Doesn't hurt at all. Star will be great there.

Star landed in a great spot. But you might be right the Utah "fans" may be unhappy, but real Utah fans (no quotation marks) are very happy about where Star is headed.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2013 9:54 a.m.

Congratulations to Ziggy!

• U 90 Corona, CA
    April 26, 2013 9:59 a.m.

Duckhunter,

You attempt to morph every discussion into a Utah vs. BYU debate. If I read an article about the Dalai Lama in the DesNews I wouldn't be surprised to see you posting your opinion that the Dalai prefers BYU over Utah. Give it a rest. Why can't you just be happy for both Ziggy and Star without trying to stir the pot. Must be a sad way to spend your days.

As for this Ute, good luck to both players... hope to see them both make a pro bowl one day.

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 26, 2013 10:03 a.m.

I came on here to congratulate both Star and Ziggy, but man, BYU fans make it so hard for me to congratulate them at anything. Come off your pedestal for just a minute and simply congratulate these young men for their accomplishment.

Both of these guys have such cool stories... Ziggy coming from Africa to play b-ball, and Star out of competitive football and working for a moving company. I can't remember ever hearing of 2 guys coming from no where so fast and rising to the top. AWESOME!

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2013 10:03 a.m.

Congrats to Ziggy and good luck (except against the Packers).

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2013 10:21 a.m.

@54-10
    I always try to be positive for the team I support and not say anything negative about other teams. I try and look for something to appreciate about others rather than doing the "my pop can beat up your pop" thing. I have waited a long time to appreciate your view point and finally we have something to agree on. You can't be all that bad a guy if you love the "Pack." Congratulations to Ziggy and may the Packers rule.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    April 26, 2013 10:21 a.m.

@ the Striker rant.... "Are you kidding me? I don't know how many Ute fans either told me personally or that I read stated he'd be #1. Just plain idiocy.... Just glad I don't have to listen to your fans spouting all that ridiculousness anymore."

WOW dude you need some therapy. That anger is getting the best of you. Take a deep breath and lay down for a few days

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2013 10:58 a.m.

@Sportsfan
    "Once again, a la Jimmer, the limelight shines brightly on BYU, and our friends on the hill are left with nothing but whiny spin."

*shrugs* I have no reason to be upset that teams didn't have a high need for the position Star plays, especially when Floyd (the guy ranked first at the position on Kiper's board) fell all the way to 23. Likewise, Ansah was ranked #2 at his position and was taken 2nd among that position because teams had a higher need for it so earlier teams drafted them. They're both great athletes and it's great that both of them will have the opportunity to shine at the next level.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    April 26, 2013 11:03 a.m.

Congratulations Ziggy!! A great ending (or should I say beginning) of a great story!!

Star and Ziggy will represent our state well for years to come. Proud of you both!!

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    April 26, 2013 1:00 p.m.

UU32

"In retrospect, would you rather of had Jimmer go to a good franchise and a great situation later in the draft where he could have had more success or still go higher in the draft to the Kings?"

Utah fans didn't have any such reservations when Alex Smith was picked #1 - even though Alex was the 2nd best player at the position most needed by the team that picked him.

• Monk Pleasant Grove, UT
    April 26, 2013 1:19 p.m.

Who (or what) is Ziggy Ansah?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 26, 2013 1:22 p.m.

@uu32

Yes this hurts utah "fans". chris b is in agony, naval vet is nowhere to be seen, howie has retreated into his shell, and myriad other utah "fans" are complete no shows.

This is because their entire self worth, their self confidence, their value as a person, is tied up in the fantasy that utah is superior to BYU in all things and all ways. When something like this occurs it is a gut punch to them, especially when they had been saying star would be the #1 overall pick for so many months leading into last season and yet he dropped to the middle of the 1st round, and then to add insult to injury a BYU players went so far ahead of him, top 5 actually.

Now for me, I don't care, I hope they both do well, but it is agony for utah "fans", sheer agony. And that is funny to me. We can all be assured that if the opposite had occured those same ute "fans" would be on here blabbing about it instead of hiding and agonizing.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2013 1:59 p.m.

@bradleyc
    UTE FAN -

We went for years when it was the opposite. I don't care one way or the other.

Nuff said

@SportsFan
    Utes Fan

ZERO!

@Hemlock
    @utes fan,

-----------------------

I wasn't starting the smack talk. I was just responding to the smack talk started by BYU fan "poyman" who posting the following:

@poyman
    Round 1:

#5 Detroit Lions DE E. Ansah BYU

#14 Carolina Panthers DT S. Lotulelei Utah

Nuff Said.

Fact: Yes Ziggy went ahead of Star in the draft.

Fact: Yes I am thrilled for both.

Fact: Utah has twice as many players as BYU in the NFL draft.

Fact: I was responding to the first smack posted by BYU fan "poyman" by just stating a FACT that indeed Utah has more than twice as many NFL players as BYU.

Don't let the FACTS bother you.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    April 26, 2013 2:11 p.m.

Snack PAC - Yes, in retrospect it may have been better for Alex to go to a team that actually had a functioning offensive line and a stable coaching situation - even if that meant him not going #1 in the draft. He made the best of his tough situation and then was beat out by the tattooed gazelle from Nevada. He's in a decent situation now in Kansas City and hopefully he makes the most of it. It would be interesting to get Alex's honest opinion on that one -- I bet he would still say going #1 is better because he made more money. I think basketball is a bit different in that regard because there isn't as much disparity between the pay of picks and where they are picked - the big money is made after the rookie contract. High NFL draft picks can make a boatload in signing bonuses in contract #1.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    April 26, 2013 4:33 p.m.

@ Duck

If Chris B and Navel were wondering if they've gotten in your head- they just got their answer. LOL!

Some people are happy for these kids while others seem to take pleasure in college kids getting diagnosed with heart conditions I guess, to each his own.

Congrats to both these kids on their success. Ziggy especially has an amazing story, and every fan I've talked to from the U seems to be very happy for him. Best of luck to both, and way to represent the state!

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2013 6:03 p.m.

#5, a gentleman and a scholar. Congrats Ziggy.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 26, 2013 6:47 p.m.

nosy

Bad form insinuating anyone took any pleasure in Star's health problems of recent.

Several of you Ute "fans" take the cake for the stuff is dished out on these boards.

You could have simply said congrats and moved on and most of us would have appreciated it but you didn't.

Your sincerity is lacking.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 26, 2013 6:58 p.m.

Congrats Ziggy and Star. My only regret is that Star never got to play for BYU despite initially going there. Those of you trying to make this about the BYU Utah rivalry, give it a rest...this is about two good guys that have huge potential. I wish them both best of luck.

• joseywales Park City, UT
    April 27, 2013 1:15 a.m.

Striker/duckhunter- you guys really don't understand football do you? While most people on here get it, you don't. Each team has unique needs, therefore they will take the player they feel helps them most. What number you are in the draft is only some sort of "win" to you guys because your guy was a few numbers ahead. Maybe let's wait a few years and see where they end up, hopefully they are both kicking butt with their respective teams. Simply being drafted high guarantees nothing, you guys should know that, you've been spouting about how horrible Alex is/was, and he was #1.

Also, you guys know this but won't admit it. Star's stock fell when he was unable to perform at the combine for medical reasons. Whether he would have been the top pick like many college football reporters thought in the early season, we'll never know, but like I said previously, nothing wrong with being a first rounder whatever the number.

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    April 27, 2013 1:38 p.m.

joseywales

"Each team has unique needs, therefore they will take the player they feel helps them most. What number you are in the draft is only some sort of "win" ..."

So all of the chest pounding we've seen for YEARS from Utah fans bragging about Alex Smith being the #1 overall draft pick was really nothing but a bunch of hypocritical hooey?

Thanks for clarifying that.

• joseywales Park City, UT
    April 27, 2013 11:59 p.m.

Mussing- please point out where I said or pounded my chest. We all know that the chest pounding came from a select few guys. The Y side has a few of these chest pounders too. The rest of us live in the real world and don't feel the constant need to "one up" the other. Maybe it's maturity, I'm not sure what you call it.

I thought it was awesome that a kid from Utah was the #1 pick, but you never saw my name attached to a post pounding my chest about it. As I stated earlier, different teams, different needs. I think both players will have an immediate impact on their respective teams.

No hypocrisy here.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    April 29, 2013 9:56 a.m.

"Veritas Aequitas

Fruit Heights, UT

Ziggy, picked higher than Manti. Who would have thought. Who is the star? Good luck to all..."

Kyle Van Noy will be picked higher than Manti as well barring a catastrophic injury. But, no one can take the entertainment value that family (Te'o) provides and will probably continue to provide away. What jokers they are