Utah

West Jordan considers banning youths from buying spray paint, some markers for graffiti

Comments

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2013 9:19 p.m.

I wish vandalism never happened but this isn't the best way to prevent it. If someone wants to shoot 20 people at a school, they will obtain firearms. If they can't legally, they will obtain firearms.

If a teenager wants to spray graffiti, they will obtain spray paint. If they can't legally buy it, they will steel it, take it from their parents, convince parents to buy it for a "project" or "art class" or who knows what else. If spray paint is unavailable, they will find alternative methods to cause graffiti.

The best way to prevent isn't to pass laws to outlaw something. The only reason the "make it illegal" method is popular today is because as a society our moral values are broken. We need to change as a people. More laws don't change people, people do. We need to actively serve each other in our communities.

• Utah_1 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2013 9:19 p.m.

There was a reason that the legislature didn't pass a bill trying to do something similar. A person is innocent until proven guilty. 2012 SB 107 failed.

The materials have a perfectly reasonable use.

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    April 25, 2013 9:18 a.m.

How many teenagers do you know that walk around public property with a can of spray point for a legitimate use?

Regardless, there is a defense for legit uses. If you can deter the casual taggers, you have save already saved yourself a bunch of trouble, clean up costs, and the associated crime that comes with graffiti.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    April 25, 2013 9:45 a.m.

@I know it I live it I love it

I don't think anyone would disagree with you that the root cause here is degradation of society. The problem is, what can we do about it? You can't force society to change, and lawmakers can't legislate it either. So they do the next best thing: Legislate the tools away from the perps because they CAN do that.

So while the best way to prevent something might not be to outlaw it, that is the best thing that we have the means to do. When you find a way to make wholesale changes to society in general, let us know.

• mornixuur Layton, UT
    April 25, 2013 12:24 p.m.

Spray paint doesn't vandalize buildings. People vandalize buildings.

Besides, criminals will still get spray paint elsewhere.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    April 25, 2013 1:15 p.m.

Ummm,
    Let me see if I get this straight....

Banning spray paint to innocent law abiding youths will somehow stop graffiti,
    when,
    Banning assault weapons to KNOWN criminals and KNOWN mentally unstable won't stop massacres.

I just DON'T get it?

• No One Of Consequence West Jordan, UT
    April 25, 2013 1:56 p.m.

I am now embarrassed to live in West Jordan!

We have elected officials and public officials who believe that young people who can obtain cigarettes, alcohol and illegal drugs are not resourceful enough to get paint and markers.

Or, worse, they believe that the electorate will believe they have actually done something of value with this ordinance.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    April 25, 2013 2:21 p.m.

They'll make their own spray devices...

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    April 25, 2013 2:23 p.m.

Instead of taking away the paint, how about providing the teens a canvass to do the painting?

• sally Kearns, UT
    April 25, 2013 2:55 p.m.

Chances are good the teens live in the neighborhood unless they have access to a car. Unless they wear gloves and totally cover up including shoes, it would not be difficult to locate whoever is doing it from the paint spray. Of course it would require cooperation from parents, unless they are also involved. Some parents would call this entertainment.

• Faded Glory Taylorsville, UT
    April 25, 2013 4:08 p.m.

I know of a group of neighbors including myself who are willing to volunteer to remove graffiti within the city and do it under the supervision of a city official. But now the lawyers got involved and had to weigh the risks of grown adult men doing something productive versus something they understand better such as passing an ordinance. This will have no effect on curbing this problem but it may, in their own way of thinking, feel they did something productive. Useless!!!

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 25, 2013 4:50 p.m.

I think it is a great idea. It should be implemented statewide. What reason does a youth need spraypaint anyways? If it is for legitimate use then a parent can come with them to buy it. Most kids will probably realize it isn't worth the trouble and give up. On the other hand, I bet many of the tagger are adults anyways. The tagging in Salt Lake valley is so ugly, and I will report any thug I see doing it.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    April 25, 2013 5:37 p.m.

@mornixuur
    @airnaut

You are right!

We should punish the bad guys.

Jail time with forced labor, until they have enough hours cleaning up enough vandalisnm to serve Justice.

Same with guns, misuse illegally, receive serious punishment.

Perhaps corporal punishment needs to brought back?

But don't punish and regulate the good guys.

It;s really simple isn't it?

• Midvaliean MIDVALE, UT
    April 26, 2013 8:12 a.m.

There is enough spray paint in their parents garages that this won't make 1 dent in the graffiti problem. Take Traxx to Midvale 10 minutes away, buy paint and come back. I dare say there might be more graffiti than normal due to a backlash or "lets show them" mentality.
    Placing the burden on business is not a good idea. It reminds of how TSA might handle a problem, completely ineffective.