Faith

Ask Angela: I'm an everyday Mormon in Utah — do I matter?

Comments

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    April 20, 2013 6:21 a.m.

I like the response to the letter. Credibility is all we have, how competent is something you protect. Sure lairs cheaters and thieves won't be respected or trusted. That is earned. To be taken for granite is a complement.

• bountifulmomofsix BOUNTIFUL, UT
    April 20, 2013 7:46 a.m.

Right on Angela! Sounds like your reader is having a little humility issue. We definitely ALL sinners but hopefully we are not all trying to repent of the worst kinds of sins. The church's 12-step program for people with an addiction is an awesome resource for every member of the church. After all, we all sin and we all might even have 'addictions' that we are not aware of until we dig deeply and honestly into our personal lives. Do we have an addiction to gossip? Overeating? Under eating? Electronics? Shopping? the list goes on. "Cast the beam out of our own eye first".

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    April 20, 2013 7:52 a.m.

One of the wonderful things about the parable of the Prodigal Son is that we can fill in the "rest of the story". I like to suppose that after the father's counsel to his older son, the "good guy" repented and welcomed his brother. That's what he would have done if he followed the example of the Savior, the true "Elder Brother". Could it be that Christ deliberately left this story a bit open-ended, master teacher that he was, so we could ponder an acceptable conclusion?

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    April 20, 2013 8:17 a.m.

It does not matter were one lives at. It can be in Utah or it can be at the farthest reaches of the planet. We are all Gods Children. I just Have to say the only thing that matters is we work out our own salvation. Something that really rubs me the wrong way is how everything is wrapped around the inactive and then the active is Oh their ok they never miss church. I have never missed church drive 30 miles one way to go. Yet have never in the past 15 years ever had my home teacher over or even my wife have a visiting teacher over. Yes my neighbor who wants zero to do with the church gets home teachers visiting teachers. even though they never enter the door. One thing I want to know is when do the active matter? when do we stop rewarding bad behavior? seems that to get attention from the church i need to go inactive fall way and then maybe I will matter.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    April 20, 2013 8:38 a.m.

"I’ve noticed that members put a large emphasis on diversity and being different."

Seriously?

Could it be that those that are diverse or different get the attention because they don't fit the mold?

Get a tattoo. That will get you noticed.

• JonathanPDX Portland, Oregon
    April 20, 2013 8:49 a.m.

In the poem "Desiderata" there is a line which reads: "If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself."

You may not think you matter, You live in an area where you and others live the gospel on a daily basis. But what if the example of your strength and righteous living was the very thing helping someone else to make the choices for living righteously as well?

You may not realize it but everything you do that reflects your desire to do Heavenly Father's will causes ripples which may be small when they spread from you, but as they travel they build in magnitude and power and become a great source of light and strength to others around you.

So never think you do not matter. Every one of us matters. We are Children of God.

• Hagothsen Las Vegas, NV
    April 20, 2013 8:56 a.m.

I'm a recently returned prodigal son, born, raised and living in sin city. Despite being born "in the covenant" of "goodly parents", I forsook The Lord for 2+ decades. I'd give ANYTHING to start over, and remain true to the faith throughout my entire life. I'd give ANYTHING to have been a "Good Guy". One can always choose to sin, but one cannot choose the effects of sin. Life, even as a "Good Guy" is hard enough, no? I promise you, you don't want the added heartache of serious sin. Repentance has blessed me profoundly, and like Alma, I am "harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more." But my family thinks I'm nuts, and doesn't share my faith, in large part, because of my poor example. Nevertheless, like the prodigal son, I know that my faithful brother (Good Guy) will receive all that our father has. As the other, unfaithful son, I look to another parable to find comfort, as an 11th hour worker in the vineyard. Regardless, I know His ways are just. I trust in Him. I'm thankful for the Good Guys that show me the way.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    April 20, 2013 9:15 a.m.

To a degree, even the best of us are Prodigal Sons who need the atonement.

• Wrauny San Marcos, CA
    April 20, 2013 9:19 a.m.

With all the inspirational stories in the church, I always felt the need to be or do something amazing. I realized that I could be amazing in small ways: be a good husband, father, brother, son, neighbor, home teacher, etc. There's greater fulfillment when you don't make it about yourself.

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    April 20, 2013 11:13 a.m.

In the words of President Utchdorf, "Lift where you stand" brothers and sisters. It took me many years to learn this lesson. Your personal relationship with God is much more important than your calling.

• GeorgieBaby DENVER, CO
    April 20, 2013 11:20 a.m.

'The Good Guy' makes an excellent observation about our culture, and the response turned into a "Prodigal Son" commentary instead of addressing the point he is making. I feel his observations valid for discussion, and that we shouldn't minimize it by quoting scripture and moralizing.

Growing up in Utah as an adolescent, it seemed that those who promoted themselves well, were popular, or were highly connected received the most attention in our Mormon culture. I've learned that this also extends into adulthood, and have observed it to be a strong element in the media messages the church sends out. My favorite messages are from those who are humble and sincere, not self-promoting.

I consider myself a "boots on the ground" member of the church. I'm on the front lines. I had a long period of inactivity in the church. I'm a single, middle-aged female with no children. Most of the time I feel that I don't fit into the culture. However, I would prefer to be known not for my period of rebellion and struggle, but for my ability to take the lessons learned from that period to minister and serve.

• Nanakat SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 20, 2013 11:31 a.m.

In all ways we are the prodigal son. We have all fallen away from our Father's House. The "faithful son" in that parable is a reflection on those of us who feel we are not prodigals. None of us have earned our way home yet, none of us have been faithful all along.

The only truly faithful son is our Savior, and He does not begrudge our Father's love for us as prodigals. We have to remember that, as we were told in general conference just this month, our Heavenly Father WANTS to forgive us.

I'm with Hagothsen in remembering that no matter when we repent and decide to strive to return Home, we will be welcomed and loved, not just by our Heavenly Father, but also by His Only Faithful Son. The sooner we do it, though, and the sooner we stop thinking of ourselves as the "faithful" ones, the greater our blessings will be in this life, and the greater and sooner will be our joy - in part because we will also, as we become more like our Savior, join in the celebrations of others who have been able to return.

• GeorgieBaby DENVER, CO
    April 20, 2013 11:51 a.m.

My second thought I'd like to share has to do with comparing ourselves to the prodigal son. Those of us who have gone through a period of inactivity or who are converts to the church sometimes label ourselves as the prodigal son or daughter.

We need to remember the context in which Jesus gave the parable. He was answering questions and speaking to lawyers and politicians about the law. While we can take many meanings from parables, I sometimes think we categorize ourselves incorrectly or assume that we cannot be restored to receive eternal blessings through incorrectly interpreting this parable. The Atonement of Jesus Christ can restore ALL things. We know this from scripture and the words of living prophets.

I feel that we should look past the prodigal son label and remember: Alma the Younger and the Sons of Mosiah were members of the church that had strayed and were persecuting the church whose course was corrrected. King Limhi and his household were converted from great wickedness unto light. Paul persecuted the church and was called to repentence. Even the Brother of Jared was reminded by the Lord that he had slacked off in his devotions and worship.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    April 20, 2013 12:23 p.m.

Perhaps more important is not does one matter, but does one make a difference.

• sharrona layton, UT
    April 20, 2013 12:30 p.m.

RE: Twin Lights, the best of us are Prodigal Sons who need the atonement. True,
    For God so loved the world that he gave his one and Only Son, that “whoever believes in him” shall not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16 NIV).

Sinners are attractive because they are loved; they are not loved because they are attractive. God’s love does not dependent upon our achievements, nor can we ever earn our salvation. Martin Luther.
    We’re not sinners because we sin. We sin because we’re sinners. In (Psalm 51:5) Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

(Psalm 51:17). a” broken and contrite heart.” The word for "contrite" means To be bowed down with the awareness of our spiritual bankruptcy.

Eph 2:3b: "We were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind."

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    April 20, 2013 2:15 p.m.

To: Hagothsen: I truly sympathize with you and your struggle to feel good about yourself and the decisions you make. We must be in command of our own choices and not our families. It is between us and God. I, too made terrible choices and my family had a difficult time with that. I was excommunicated(of which I deserved) but through "The Miracle of Forgivesness" by Spencer W. Kimball, fervant prayer I was found worthy of rebaptism. Elder Marvin J. Ashton told me that we don't make "dumb" mistakes, they are careless mistakes. There are still times when I beat myself up for being less than perfect but as I continue to fervantly work on overcoming my weaknesses I find that I feel less angry at myself and my testimony has grown remarkably. It is between us and the Lord and He is always there for us whether good or bad. We can't live our lives by others opinions....only through the Atonement of Jesus Christ will peace come to our soul.

• milojthatch Sandy, UT
    April 20, 2013 2:43 p.m.

I think LDS culture needs to get over the "Utah Mormon/Non-Utah Mormon" thing. It serves no purpose but to split us up. I'm from Los Angeles, CA and went on a mission to Mississippi. My trainer there was from a small town in Utah and he made me feel like such a worthless person for being from LA. He'd tell me things like "LA Mormons aren't really Mormons" or "The church is only it's truest in Utah."

I started to grow a dislike for all things Utah as a result. What I've come to realize however is that these feelings, both mine and his and feelings like these others in and out of the state of Utah in the church may hold, only hurt us as a people. The church is ment to be a united front. Each one of us matter to God the same. Yet many of these mean spirited feelings seem to stay alive on both sides. It is time we as a people put these feelings to bed.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    April 20, 2013 3:50 p.m.

"My trainer there was from a small town in Utah and he made me feel like such a worthless person for being from LA. He'd tell me things like "LA Mormons aren't really Mormons" or "The church is only it's truest in Utah."

How do you think he felt about or treated Non-Mormon in Utah.

• formetoknow PAYSON, UT
    April 20, 2013 5:01 p.m.

Something tells me that Good Guy is having a little fun at the expense of Miss Angela Trusty and all of those commenting on this. It is obvious satire.

• william e. kettley SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 20, 2013 5:48 p.m.

I heard a prayer offered by a humble brother in stake conference once in which he asked the Lord to "bless him with patience with those who sin differently than he." We are all prodigal at some level, and knowing we live in a telestial place here in mortality, and cannot achieve absolute perfection, need to be tolerant of those in this condition, as we all sin and come short of the Glory of God. We are more alike than we are different, and should act as such with each other.
    William Kettley

• byu rugby Crystal Lake, IL
    April 20, 2013 6:57 p.m.

A few months after returning from a mission, I found myself visiting a ward in Utah (I was raised in Oregon). I was asked at the beginning of a young adult Sunday school class to introduce myself. I mentioned my mission, being an eagle scout, and impending attendance at Ricks. Two voices from the back of the room said flatly," We all are, your nothing special." I looked around and every person in the room just shrugged, including the married adult couple instructors. Says everything you need to know about Utah Mormons.

I have never visited Utah when I have not had multiple experiences of a similar nature. Best thing that could happen to the church is for the brethren to move headquarters out of the state.

• jeanie orem, UT
    April 21, 2013 12:13 a.m.

BYU RUGBY - We all have our warts, Utah Mormons and "mission field" Mormons alike.

• mustangllb64 CERES, CA
    April 21, 2013 4:25 a.m.

I tend to agree with milojthatch that the LDS culture needs to get over the "Utah Mormon/Non-Utah Mormon" thing. I too, am from CA and have felt that "some" of the Utah Mormons have a chip on their shoulder because they tend to think that they are "closer to God" because of their residency status. It has, in some ways, caused me to think that in order to become a true Mormon, one needs to move out of Utah in order to experience life. Specifically out of the Salt Lake valley. It tends to make me believe they live a sheltered life.

I have been a member since the age of 11 when converted into the church with my parents, never went on a mission because I didn't feel ready, struggled greatly with inactivity, committed sins worthy enough to go through a repentance process with the bishop, yada yada yada. What matters is not where you've been, but where you are in life and where you are going. I feel my testimony is much stronger because of my experiences. We all sin. Just don't judge me because I sin differently than you.

• mustangllb64 CERES, CA
    April 21, 2013 4:47 a.m.

Now I feel that I am stronger than ever, I have come back into the fold and never once have the members of my ward ever looked down on me. I try to use my experiences to warn others not to make the same choices that I unfortunately made. I even have my temple recommend back.

I used to think that those who were "born in the covenant" had some special status, but even they can sin. I was proven wrong. My ex-wife, who comes from a very strong multi-generational LDS family in my area, chose to apostatize and turn her back on the church, thus forcing me to divorce her. I sincerely hope that someday she will choose to repent and come back to the fold, even as I did. Fortunately, my in-laws have been very good to me, not taking sides, but doing their best to set an example on how to live a Christ-like life. I am still invited to family functions, which has been a great blessing unto me. Yet, she chooses to stay away.

I thank the Lord daily for the atonement. We are all prodigals in some way or another.

• Sandee Spencer Longwood, FL
    April 21, 2013 7:18 a.m.

To Dadof5sons:
    Where it may be true that those that are struggling are assigned the more proactive, faithful and regular home and visiting teachers you can do more a lot to help the situation. Have you tried inviting your home teachers over for dessert on a Sunday night and inviting them to share a message? Has your wife called her visiting teachers and told them 2 or 3 days and times she would love them to come by for a quick visit? We have no way to know why those that are assigned to serve our families are hesitant: perhaps they are shy, super busy, unorganized with their calendars. But we can do a lot to make it easy for them to come and in doing so bless their lives as well as ours. Perhaps there was inspiration in the assigning of the home teachers and visiting teachers to your family and YOU just need to make a bigger effort for it to happen.

• Sandee Spencer Longwood, FL
    April 21, 2013 7:21 a.m.

I'm thinking perhaps your introduction sounded braggy which incited the negative responses. A better introduction might have mentioned that you are from Oregon, excited to be visiting Utah and so happy to meet some new people. When the focus is about us and our accomplishments (even when asked to introduce ourselves) our response can be off putting. But when we have a desire to meet and like others they generally reciprocate.

• residualblue Chubbuck, ID
    April 21, 2013 8:41 a.m.

I for one have no problem with the "Utah Mormon" thing. I rejoice in the goodness of those who've repented and returned, and those who in obscure and exotic places have found the Church and thrive in its glow, even when the world around them is oblivious to it. There is a sort of stigma with the "Utah Mormon" image, but so what? Utah Mormons are great! They're generous, they're kind, they're eager to serve, and they have the coveted opportunity to live in a place where the Gospel is prevalent. I was born in Utah, but I haven't lived there since I was two. But when I visit I enjoy basking in the warmth of the people there. There are horror stories, to be sure. But they're few and far between. As long as there's no looking down the nose at outsiders (I rarely meet them), I say enjoy it! Just a thought. Keep calm, and Utah on!

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    April 21, 2013 8:50 a.m.

Let me take a totally different look at this:

We (followers of Christ) are at war with evil (followers of Satan)
    We joined the crew of the SS Kingdom of God (Warship not Cruise ship)
    We have only one Captain, Christ.
    We aren't just passengers, we are supposed to be working crew. Some take their obligations seriously. Some don't.
    Some plot the course the Captain gives. Some pump the bilge.
    War is won not with battles but with logistics. (Supplies that win the war)
    If you want to help the Captain win the war, fight the ship from where you are assigned not from where you want to be. And supply logistics.
    What do we supply? Faith.
    Everytime some one goes to church in Utah it strengthens a member in Japan. Everytime you pay tithes in Payson you build a bunker in Vancouver. Everytime you pray you strengthen a youth in Africa. Home teach and a missionary tries harder. Visit the sick and you help a relief society president.
    Everyday member is winning the war with logistics. Faith
    If we all stopped supplying faith this ship would sink.
    We all aren't generals.
    We all are supplying faith.

• its2hotinaz Saint David, AZ
    April 21, 2013 10:10 a.m.

There will always be times we may feel that way. Just another one of the adversary's tools.

When I feel like that I like to listen to Michael McLean's song called "I'm Just One of the Ninety and Nine". He sings of not being the one who strayed and basically kept at least a loose grasp of the iron rod. It then goes on to say that we are His and He values us every bit as much as all of His other sheep. He will still hold us in His embrace and we can feel His love when we seek Him as much as anyone else.

It is worth looking up.

• theshadowknows Salt Lake, UT
    April 21, 2013 4:15 p.m.

I attended a stake general priesthood meeting where the speaker was from California. He commented that he had no idea if he would have stayed so solid if he had not had so many opportunities to serve. One of his bottom lines was expressing a lot of respect for those of us who lived here and just didn't have as much opportunity.

I hate the Utah/mission-field thing...work hard to be worth it no matter where and I work to damp that one down no matter what. I visited Boston a few years back and did a temple session there. The officiator treated me like a visiting authority. I tried to be very gracious and thank him and respect him...who probably faced a lot of challenges. We do too... "right here in River City."

We all fall short of the mark. To say we haven't sinned is ... well think about it.We're all prodigal and we all have issues. These are typical issues...there are so many more.

This is not something to break a sweat over.

• terra nova Park City, UT
    April 21, 2013 6:34 p.m.

In the grand sweep of eternity, you don't matter much. Moses discovered this after his vision of the universe was unfolded: "for this cause I know that man is nothing, which thing I never had supposed." (Moses 1:10)

• donn layton, UT
    April 21, 2013 8:22 p.m.

RE: SLCWatch. The captain of their salvation… (Hebrews 2:9 KJV ). "captain"=(G. archēgos), the author or source, of Christians' salvation.

@ What do we supply? Faith." No, Hebrews 12:2, looking unto Jesus [is], the author and finisher of our faith.

“God does not reward the Christians according to the success of their labor, because that depends on himself; but he rewards them according to the faithful labor which they bestow on his work.”(1 Corinthians 3:8 NLT), Or a good apple tree produces good apples.

,…Work hard ”to show the Results of your Salvation”’ obeying God with ’deep reverence’ and fear.(Phil 2:12 NLT) .

• Utexmom Flower Mound, TX
    April 21, 2013 8:43 p.m.

Having grown up in Utah, I have to admit that I rarely felt just like another Mormon who wasn't noticed. In fact, I felt like I was noticed too much. It was more like there was a stigma with following the gospel all of the way. It seemed like there was a set way to parent, a set way to act (there is definitely a social correctness in Utah). Pressure to parent in spiritually weak ways or you were weird. Pressure to sin without going all of the way. Pressure to follow the people instead of the Spirit of the Lord. Actually, a lot of this pressure came from within my own family there. So, maybe my experiences were not like other people's experiences. Utah is definitely different in different cities, wards, and families.

• dancencj bakersfield, CA
    April 21, 2013 8:50 p.m.

i can understand completely how the good guy feels. i think it is natural to feel this way and i think any member of the church where ever they live, can not honestly say they have not felt this way at one time or another. i have seen many strong youth be passed by because the leaders don't have to "worry" about them. i have seen strong wonderful members that serve others with all their heart go un-noticed because leaders don't have to "worry" about them. out of those two groups i just mentioned, i have seen some slip through the cracks because they have felt un appreciated. i think we as members need to remember everyone needs a word of appreciation from time to time. we need to learn to help the "one" with out losing most of the "99." i think as far as cultures are concerned not only do we need to embrace them but they need to embrace ours too. i think the problem some people have is that it seems we have to embrace other cultures at the expense of ours, not with ours.

• milojthatch Sandy, UT
    April 21, 2013 9:09 p.m.

"How do you think he felt about or treated Non-Mormon in Utah."

I have no idea JoeBlow. Either way it doesn't really matter. That is between him and God. I strongly believe how we treat people says a lot about who we are as a person. All I'm going to worry about at this point is how I treat others and sometimes, I need to do better.

• byu rugby Crystal Lake, IL
    April 22, 2013 3:21 a.m.

So, according to the individual who posted after me, when an individual is visiting Utah, they are supposed to act very humble, not look anyone in the eye, and hope not to bring any attention to them selves?

Really? As a covert to the church making their first solo trip to Utah, I was nervous as all get out to be standing in places where the very first saints had build the church. What did I get? Rude and thoughtless comments.

The blessing in disguise is that once I graduated transferred to and graduated from BYU 8 years later, I got out of the state as fast as I could and, have only come back for business. And then, I have fun acting like an ignorant gentile, so the locals will at least treat me with common courtesy!

If you want evidence of the difference between Utah Mormons and the balance of the church, get a set of ward building plans. In Utah, the buildings are designed and build for 11% activity. In the balance of North America they are built for 80% activity. Again,"Tell me all is well in ZION." Go ahead!

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    April 22, 2013 10:07 a.m.

Good guy - If you really want to screw up on the same level as some of the "prodigal sons" have, you're welcome to, but I doubt any of them would recommend it. They're coming back because something on that other track didn't work.

• Random Redlands, CA
    April 22, 2013 11:46 a.m.

Everyday, your bishopric thanks you for being you. They appreciate the stalwart, the ones who show up, the ones who have faith -- even if it's just the faith to show up and hope. I was born in Utah, left when I was 18, and I can tell you, there is a huge difference in the attitudes of those in and those out. There are good people all over, but sometimes, we have to peel back the social expectations to find the good; some of us carry the cultural expectation heavier than others.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 22, 2013 12:27 p.m.

“I haven’t sinned"

Well first off, anyone who considers themselves in that category definitely has some pride sins going on.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 22, 2013 12:39 p.m.

The letter writer should be careful what he wishes for. Those who are "different" (like the liberal who didn't serve a mission that I was) have a tendency to get a lot of negative attention.

• Hagothsen Las Vegas, NV
    April 22, 2013 1:16 p.m.

@suzyk#1 :) Thank you for the uplifting words.

RE: Utah vs. Non-Utah Mormons
    I too have felt spurned by some in Utah because I was from Sin City. However, there is no way I would believe all, most, or even a great many, would actually feel that way. We Non-Utah Mormons would sin, by painting the entire state with that same ugly color. Let us all follow the words of President Lorenzo Snow, and "examine OURSELVES, hold communion with OURSELVES in the secret closet, to ascertain how WE stand … before the Lord." Or as President Uchtdorf puts it, "(Not) judge, because (we) sin differently than you." Just as we all have different gifts from God, we all will have different struggles to overcome as well. Indeed, we are all prodigal sons and daughters.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    April 22, 2013 1:51 p.m.

There are only 2 people whose notice you need in this life; 1) Yourself so you can ponder your weakneses and work to overcome them and 2) - your Father in Heaven to help you through the atoning gift of His Son.

When it's all said and done, if it's right with those 2 - you'll be One with Him and that's the ultimate goal. That should make you feel special, except it'll be real gratitude and not the praise of men.

• raybies Layton, UT
    April 23, 2013 8:25 a.m.

Faithfully living the standards of the church, without need for drama and recognition is creating power and strength of character in you. Believe it. My wife is one such saint. She didn't realize her strength until a drug-addled neighbor who eventually succumbed to her tragic life pointed out just how much strength she had. At first it really bothered my wife, until she realized that while her friend was busy "partying" and engaging in "riotous living" my wife was at home alone, was never asked to go on dates, she did her duty, probably bored a lot, missed out on a lot of opportunities to be popular. But come twenty years later and she had five well-behaved kids and a strong home life, while her friend had a chemical dependency, lost custody of her children, and eventually wandered into traffic and got hit by a car late at night.

Never regret doing the right thing. That steadiness and quiet unassuming life is more valuable than you know.

• NMEEERCL Houston, TX
    April 24, 2013 11:35 a.m.

I agree with BYU Rugby. I've visited a couple of times and unfortunately both times we have been met with a very condescending attitude and greeting or lack there of. A lot of us in Houston really feel appreciative of the fact that we do not live so close to our General Authorities or a temple on every block or surrounded by those who are supposed to be of the same flock. We feel that living a distance away really helps us in clinging and developing a testimony and it really helps to bring our ward family closer to one another. Sometimes being in the middle is not best if what you are surrounded by if the flock you are in the middle of is not moving in the right direction.

• alabama moundville,hale, AL
    April 26, 2013 2:36 p.m.

I have attended BYU. I have also lived in the "mission" field, the Southern United States, for most of my life and I am in my 50's. I miss the fellowship of members, since I am the only member in the town where I live and have to drive 30 miles to church. Seldom do I run into a member of the Church in my daily work life. We are all God's children. It is a blessing to live in Utah. It is also a blessing to live in the mission field. Bloom where you are planted. You are all my brothers and sisters and while I may not agree with all that you say, I dearly wish I had the chance to fellowship with members more often. I thank God that I can connect with members on the internet, such as this. Every member is a missionary no matter where they live. We all serve a purpose, whether in Utah, or elsewhere.