Family

Blind 16-year-old stuns with national anthem (+video)

Comments

• Instereo Eureka, UT
    April 18, 2013 4:48 p.m.

Very inspirational!!!

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    April 18, 2013 5:03 p.m.

Wow.....brought many tears of joy listening and watching this young girl. She's going to go places and being blind will not stop a voice like that. Bless her heart for her courage and superb musical talent.

• Blue AZ Cougar ,
    April 18, 2013 5:01 p.m.

Headline of the article: "Blind 16-year-old stuns with national anthem"

I don't get that. Why does it matter if she's blind? Does that impair one's ability to sing? Why not just say "16-year-old stuns with national anthem"?

That being said, she has an amazing voice, very talented young lady.

• KG South Jordan, UT
    April 18, 2013 5:33 p.m.

Umm... not that it really matters, but that is the University of Kentucky, whose nickname is the Wildcats, not Kansas, whose nickname is the Jayhawks.

• ksampow Farr West, Utah
    April 19, 2013 1:16 p.m.

Amazing, as Instereo and suzyk#1 said;
    to Blue AZ Cougar: While I understand what you are saying, it doesn't hurt to notice and compliment someone who has overcome extra challenges. Being blind has nothing to do with musical talent, but I am sure it does make life in general and accomplishing great things like this a bit harder. I admit I know nothing about how reading music works for the blind. (Is there a Braille technique for writing music? She may have learned just by listening, I don't know.)

• Blue AZ Cougar ,
    April 19, 2013 2:15 p.m.

@ ksampow

Point taken, I get what you're saying. And yes, there is actually a Braille technique for reading music -- it's actually pretty amazing to see someone play the piano while physically reading sheet music with one of their hands. That said -- I don't know how to read music, but I can still carry a tune. You don't have to know how to read music to sing well.