Utah football notebook: QB battle is 'very close'

Comments

• Hondo Scottsdale, AZ
    April 12, 2013 12:38 p.m.

Utes fans should be concerned. As the saying goes, "if you've got two good QBs, you've got none."

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 12, 2013 1:02 p.m.

Hondo,

Are you concerned about the QB situation down there in WACistan? How many good QBs do you have? Because by the tone of your last comment, it sounds like you have only just the 1. Utah had only 1 good QB back in 2011 and 2012, and we didn't do so hot. You must be absolutely freaking out right about now. You're looking down the barrell of about 5 months of sleepness nights. Poor Indy-WACer.

• Hondo Scottsdale, AZ
    April 12, 2013 2:09 p.m.

To be fair, Whittingham probably learned how to be overly optimistic when he was down in the bubble during his playing days. That being said, Duckhunter is right about the Utah QB situation.

In order to do anything better than 4-8, Utah fans better hope that Whittingham is acting like there is a QB battle only to push Wilson. Surely a heavily recruited Sophomore with PAC-12 experience is heads and shoulders better than a nobody from rural WI that didn't get any offers from any teams, right?????

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 12, 2013 2:36 p.m.

Duckhunter:

"...now he is telling us a sophomore coming off a pretty average season and a walk on no one wanted are both 'upper echelon' qb's in the pac12,...I can't wait for your 'frantic and emotional' reply."

Well it sure didn't take me long to hear YOUR frantic and emotional reply. Your time stamp indicated a 37-minute difference, but considering my post was delayed by the moderators, it was actually a lot sooner than that. Whittingham said "MAYBE even upper-echelon". "MAYBE"!

Now here's what the Pac-12's ESPN writers had to say about Wilson:

"Of course, Wilson was a true freshman last year...it's worth noting that his efficiency rating was better than Washington State's Jeff Tuel and Connor Halliday and essentially equal to Washington's Keith Price...He's got potential...The Utes might surprise some folks." -- Ted Miller

So it would appear that Whittingham isn't the ONLY one who thinks that Wilson "MAY BE" an upper echelon QB in the Pac-12. If a "true freshman" playing only 1/2 a season is drawing comparisons to upperclassmen like Tuel, Halliday, and Price, he can't be THAT bad.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    April 12, 2013 3:49 p.m.

Oh what fun it is to read a Utah story then read the frantic troller posts that follow!! Sheer entertainment!

Go Utes!!

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 12, 2013 4:42 p.m.

I for one hope to see Utah get back in the qb business. I will say this, after watching both teams scrimmage, it is true that Utah has two pretty equal qbs battling it out; however, BYU's top three are so much better than the Utah qbs, they are out of their league. Not even close. Hill, Olson, and Mangum were hitting receivers in stride over and over on deep bombs down the sidelines, not to mention hitting crossing and out patterns on a consistent basis. I don't think that is how we should judge the Utah qbs simply because it is spring. What counts is what they do in games, and like I said earlier, I hope Utah finds a good one.

• Hondo Scottsdale, AZ
    April 12, 2013 5:22 p.m.

Koog1,

As a BYU fan, you spent your precious time watching Utah scrimmage? Furthermore, you viewed each scrimmage without bias? I find that hard to believe.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 12, 2013 5:30 p.m.

It's funny that utes think they can beat good teams. they never beat good teams.

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    April 12, 2013 5:59 p.m.

Hondo:

Objectively, can you really say you think Wilson has better skills than Hill? I'm a Ute fan through and through, but having watched both I'd much rather have Hill. I've not seen Schultz, but I've seen plenty of Wilson, dating back to his high school days. He's okay, he's who we've got, so he's who I'll be cheering for, but objectively, HIll is both a better passer and runner. Also, Harbaugh's a better judge of QB talent than either of us, and he recruited Hill to Stanford. If you think it's impossible to watch both scrimmages without bias, then your own bias is glaring. C'mon, man!

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 12, 2013 6:28 p.m.

Hondo,

There are a lot of things you don't know. And yes, for reasons I will not mention on here, I spent time at both scrimmages; on the field. What can I say other than both scrimmages were fun and very beneficial. Oh, and did I mention, I hope Utah is able to have a very good qb this year and in the future? You should pay more attention to my posts. I do not dislike Utah, I dislike Utah "fans" who are haters. Big difference.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    April 12, 2013 7:10 p.m.

I want shulz to get the job. Wilson looked fair at best. IMO

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 12, 2013 9:51 p.m.

Spokane Ute,

It is very close between the two qbs. Whoever the coaches choose, you can take solace in the fact that you have a solid backup. Wilson is very good. He just needs to work on accuracy and timing with the receivers. His footwork is solid and where he lacks in his ability to read defenses, he will make up with his patience. He doesn't seem to get rattled too easily. Stuff that can be worked on and he could really come out looking good this fall. Shulz is feisty and has heart. To step in and challenge Wilson says something.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    April 13, 2013 8:59 a.m.

79Utes wonders "Objectively, can you really say you think Wilson has better skills than Hill?"
    Pessimistically, I'd take the QB who is not coming back from a season-ending knee injury. Ute fans thought Wynn's shoulder was good to go. Cougar fans should pay close attention to whomever the number 2 quarterback is. They may see a lot of him next year.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    April 13, 2013 9:11 a.m.

@ Cougar1,

"I do not dislike Utah, I dislike Utah "fans" who are haters. Big difference." Amen to that, brother! And that goes the same with BYU fans who act the same way towards the Utes. There's just no excuse for that and I wish it would stop. I especially loathe those who posts insincerely just to solicit hateful responses.

I do hope the Utes dominates all their opponents except against the Cougars! I can't wait for that game to happen. Hope it'll be an epic game with my cougars coming out on top!

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 13, 2013 9:18 a.m.

SoonerUte,

That is a very good point. Which is why I have paid close attention to Ammon Olson this year, who appears to be every bit as good as Hill minus the experience as a starter.

bigsamoan,

Amen. I love to talk football and I love a little friendly banter with my friends who are Utah faithful. Maybe that is what some Ute and Cougar fans are really trying to do here, however when done in writing the translation seems to be lost. I realize that.I also realize that some are just trying to be haters.

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    April 13, 2013 10:39 a.m.

Re: 79 Ute

Your gushing over Hill is interesting. From the the brief look we had of him last year he looked like another all run, no throw QB, not much better than his predecessor. I don't care how good he was in HS, this is the big time. Well, in BYU's case, kinda big time sometimes.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 13, 2013 12:01 p.m.

ImaCaMan,

Good point. He showed some serious skills in his passing game this spring. The question is, will it translate onto the field this fall? I hope so. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that we had an o-coordinator who kept running the option and a running backs coach whose specialty was the option. Maybe with Anae and Atuaia we will see what Hill is really capable of.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    April 13, 2013 2:35 p.m.

The 4th string BYU QB is better than these guys.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 13, 2013 2:40 p.m.

@naval

So you post a reply at the same time you whine to the moderators to remove my post.

LOL

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    April 13, 2013 2:41 p.m.

On Hill:
    On Wilson:
    Size and experience are on his side but I will wait to see if there truly is an improvement in arm strenth. Arm strength and accuracy were not awful but you expect a guy of his stature to really sling it and fit the ball into smaller windows. Has he developed enough mentally to have the coaching staff take the training wheels of the offense. Lets see what Wilson can do, if the Utes do not throttle up the offense don't plan on bowling.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 13, 2013 3:13 p.m.

79Ute:

"Harbaugh's a better judge of QB talent than either of us, and he recruited Hill to Stanford."

It's true that Harbaugh did not recruit Wilson out of high school, whereas he DID recruit Hill. However, it's ALSO true that when Wilson was being recruited out of high school, Harbaugh was coaching the 49ers. Do ya think that might have had something to do with it?

And speaking of Harbaugh's recruiting, Hill was recruited back in 2009. Know who ELSE was recruited in that same class? 4-star QB Josh Nunes; Stanford's starter until he got injured. Hill was being recruited as Nunes backup. No wonder he transfered to the Y.

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    April 13, 2013 3:36 p.m.

It's funny how BYU fans post about things like "who has the best________"...

I'm happy to say you've got the best QB...as long as we keep beating you 3 in a row...8 of 11...

You can even have the best kicker if you want...(white flag waiving)...

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 13, 2013 5:36 p.m.

@79Ute

----------

Hill has better skills? He's a dual threat QB, so I'll give him that but is he a better passer?

Hill's QB rating is 122 with only 3 games @Boise, Utah State, and Hawaii.

Wislon's QB rating is 122 with 7 games including @ULCA, @Oregon State, etc.

Pretty even to me.

I think all of Ute Nation has had enough with an injury prone QB over the last 3 years, so no way I would take Hill over Wilson.

• Proud Ute ,
    April 13, 2013 8:20 p.m.

At the very least, our young, inexperienced OC didn't make any dumb mistakes to jeopardize Wilson's safety as opposed to than their young, inexperienced (and recently thrown under the bus) OC's handling of Hill.
    The young man appears to be a fine athlete, a class act and deserved better.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 13, 2013 9:37 p.m.

"On Hill:
    I know it is a relflex for Y fans to annoit their qb as the second coming of Steve Young every April but the fact is Hill is coming off a serious knee injury along with other problems. Hill is very athletic but uses that that athleticism at the expense of his read progression. He locks onto his primary reciever or takes off running way to early. Hill's test will come as teams not named Hawaii specifically game plan for him."

gonefishin,

Please provide a comment from the last 3 years where a Y fan has declared the second coming of Steve Young. Just one from each year....

As for Hill, time will only tell if his knee will be an issue. I hope it is not, but if it is, no worries. Olson looked very good this spring, as did Hill, although Hill never saw time in the spring game.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    April 15, 2013 9:14 a.m.

@ cougar1

I hope you are right with feeling that both are good QB's. I'm just not sold on Wilson for the reasons stated. Mainly I don't recall him throwing the 50+ yard bomb and stretching the field last year. I guess we shall see. Thanks for the response and civil dialogue; always a classy and welcome move. Take Care!

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    April 15, 2013 10:56 a.m.

@Spokane Ute

Thanks and I agree with what you say about Wilson not stretching the field. Another point of interest, after watching some highlights of Manning, when he shows this fall, he may end up being the best qb on roster. He is very impressive. All the football geeks I talk to every sunday can't seem to say enough good things about him.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    April 15, 2013 10:17 p.m.

It's actually kinda fun to read this story and the posts it generated. I'm not going to debate whose apparent starting qb is better. And what is beyond debate is this - your trolls are a lot more vicious, prolific and useless than ours.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    April 16, 2013 7:39 a.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad

Amen Bro!

• ApacheNaiche PINETOP, AZ
    April 16, 2013 7:30 p.m.

The Utes still need a QB.