Utah Jazz get rolled by Thunder to lose their playoff spot

Comments

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    April 10, 2013 12:25 a.m.

It's really the same old story. The Jazz are just not at the level of the better teams in the NBA. In fact the Jazz are probably about an average team. It's frustrating to watch the team go flat on the court while Corbin justs folds him arms and lets it happen. The OKC coach will call a time out anytime the Jazz would make even a small run just to settle the team and get them back on track. I would love to see how the Jazz would respond with a coach that will take control when needed, call a time out and do a little coaching.

• financenco Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2013 6:54 a.m.

It seems to me that the older players may be too old to keep up with the youngsters to really make a difference here. Or there is heart lacking in key folks, that want to be all-stars, but aren't. I think we may be lacking in talent, not a land mark point there, but with the lack of talent, there seems to be lack of heart, and lack of court awareness. That is teh big difference. So either the coach isn't stressing it, or the players aren't listening. When you are fighting for a playoff spot, you don't throw sloppy inbound passes. You make those passes, as if your life depended on it. In this case, it is your playoff life. If you are going to build youth, and you need veterans to show the yongsters how to play, you need to find older players then, that understand the game enough that the youngsters can learn from, and not learn bad habbits.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    April 10, 2013 7:20 a.m.

@ Americanvet

Scott Brooks made the comment to David Locke yesterday before the game that even if Phil Jackson were coaching the Jazz, their record probably would not be any different than it is. He meant that as a compliment to Coach Corbin.

Though I am not a big fan of Ty, I think the Jazz are rebuilding. So many fans complain and whine. At least the Jazz are competitive while they rebuild. Great effort against OKC. They held OKC to 39%. They lost to the second best team in the league. The Jazz were not flat. They simply lost to a better team that also had a lot to play for.

That said, I would like to see the Jazz hand the reigns over to the young core next year and add a good free agent.

• fortydam OREM, UT
    April 10, 2013 7:56 a.m.

Jazzledazzle well said! They want to see the youth on the court because their isn't much else to cheer about on this team. Hayward and Carroll played like terrible rookies against a much better team. Phil Jackson wouldn't coach this team, because he and Riley both said they would never coach a team they didn't get to had pick. Corbin's record with this bunch of misfits is right in line with Sloans in all of his rebuilding years, look it up. Sometimes this Corbin thing sounds more like an Aryan brotherhood witch hunt. The thunder are one of the best teams in the league, Corbin has very little to work with, and in my humble opinion he has been doomed since day one with the ghost of Sloan and his outdated offensive schemes hanging over him like these blogs do. I'm not a Ty fan either, but he hasn't had the tools Phil Jackson ever had.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    April 10, 2013 8:27 a.m.

I am excited to see our young core take over the reigns next year. I hope this off season Lindsay can come up with a pass first, play making point guard to lead this team. I also hope Corbin will be replaced by a coach who is more defensive minded and will play the best players that give us the best chance to win reguardless of their age or veteran status. Kanter, Burks, Favors and Hayward need to all be getting 30 plus minutes next year and we need a coach who will see that they do. In my opinion.

• Hugh G. Hater Swat Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2013 8:37 a.m.

Rebuilding since 1999.

Nothing will change as long as team management allows the same old formula of placing
    all of the teams hopes on aging veterans and rookies who get limited development time.

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    April 10, 2013 8:42 a.m.

Do you really believe Scott Brooks would get on a Utah Jazz radio program and make any negative comments about any Utah Jazz coach, or player? You can also go ask Big T, Bollerjack, and Harpring about Corbin and they will all give you the same song and dance. They might believe differently privately, but they won't say anything negative on the air.

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    April 10, 2013 8:44 a.m.

I would have liked to see Evans play some minutes. He has the speed and length to keep up with OKC. Jazz are just not quick enough against a team as athletic as OKC. They played good enough defense but they were very slow and tentative on offense. Thunder have the pieces to win it all, a very good team.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    April 10, 2013 9:04 a.m.

I believe if Corbin was a good coach we would just know it. We wouldn't need to rely on Scott Brooks or David Locke to tell us about it.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    April 10, 2013 9:21 a.m.

The number 5: Favors blocks, turnovers from Milsap and Williams. The bench for the Jazz was really hurting. With Kanter, Williams, and Burk available; I believe that the Jazz would have won. Unfortunately and with kudos for the effort, it is time to bring out the "zamboni machine" and get ready for hockey. Just whom do you think that CBS is rooting for between the Lakers and Jazz? Jack Nicholson and all of Hollywood will be there. So, the Jazz need to do some heavy evaluating with their ten free agents. Once again, the cry is "wait till next year".

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    April 10, 2013 10:49 a.m.

It boils down to when the Jazz are hitting 3's, and outside shots in general, they win. When they are missing shots, they lose. Every team has both good and bad shooting nights but the difference is that good teams play defense all the time. The Jazz are not defending well so if they are not shooting the ball well, they are going to lose. The Jazz do have players that have the ability to play defense, but good defense needs to be players helping each other out and that's not happening. Why, I blame it on poor coaching. These players could be coached to play defense but it's not happening. Watch the team play and decide for yourself, rather than listening to interviews on the radio where you only get the politically correct version. I used to get set up on blind dates and I asked are they pretty? Well, they have a great personality! That meant they were ugly. Corbin also has a great personality!!

• John Wicks Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2013 11:42 a.m.

Let everyone of these losers walk except for Kanter, Favors and Burks. Corbin,lindsey and Harpring should also get the shoe.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    April 10, 2013 1:00 p.m.

@ American Vet

I see where you are coming from. He did not make the comments on a radio show. It was actually "off the record." Him and David Locke are friends and were talking before the game. Locke said he did not think Brooks would mind him sharing that.

@Hugh G Hater

The Jazz are not the Jazz from the glory days, that is for sure. However, the Williams-Boozer era and a run to the WCF is not rebuilding.

The Jazz are what they are. A small market team. It is not likely they will win a championship anytime soon, if ever, but I take pride in a team that plays in this market and is as competitive as they are. Their success is as impressive as the Lakers 3 peats. The Lakers should be winning titles with their pockets, and curb appeal. I will say I want a Utah Jazz championship so bad that if I had 3 wishes I'd use one on that.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    April 10, 2013 1:02 p.m.

@ B Russ

Read my comment again. I am not a Ty Corbin fan. He is not the worst coach but certainly not the best. I prefer the Jazz bring someone else in. However, I do think Brooks has a point and was genuine with his of f the record comment. No coach could do much more with the Jazz than what they are currently doing.

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    April 10, 2013 1:21 p.m.

The biggest problem the Jazz have is their inconsistency. They simply do not give a consistent effort every game.

They were able to give a great effort on the road against Golden State and it won them the game. Then they come home and lay an egg. Pathetic effort, very little intensity. This team is a disappointment because they have the players with potential to be better. Does it come down to the coach?

• LAJazzFan Los Angeles, CA
    April 10, 2013 2:17 p.m.

I'm not going to play the pollyanna role here as I am not happy with coaching or various players this year either. However, last night when it was announced that GS Warriors clinched a playoff berth, it was pointed out that it was only their 2nd in 19 years!

We should either be grateful that the Jazz are still relevant, or hope that a long, cold basketball nuclear winter isn't upon us.

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    April 10, 2013 4:43 p.m.

@LAJazzFan
    I agree with your comments. I really believe we will not see "a long basketball nuclear winter" because I don't believe Greg Miller is committed to keeping the team here like Larry was. I'm afraid a few bad years with declining attendance will put an end to a franchise in Utah. I will be pretty devastated if the teams gets sold and moves out of state.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    April 10, 2013 5:51 p.m.

@fortydam and Jazzledazzle

do you really believe...Corbin has nothing to work with in Utah?...first of all...if you were paying any attention...how many games did it take for Corbin to realize...that Alec Burks can play PG with Hayward?...how many games did it took for corbin to bench marvin williams?...i dont think the great Phil Jackson would take that long...heck...even Nate Mcmillan would be able to evaluate his players...as well as Frank Vogel of Indiana...would have turned this team around...the problem is...Corbin is afraid to limit Big Al's minutes due to Defense...unless our coach is Thom Thibodeau...who can develop a scheme so that big Al wouldnt look like a 9 yr old on D....so to be honest...i wont put much anything on the words of a coach who choked during last years finals...

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    April 10, 2013 5:53 p.m.

@JazzleDazzle

just to add...im sure Scott Brooks made the comment...so that he would not say something bad against corbin...its out of respect....but a different coach would have made this a team....heck...Scott Skiles would whip them up to shape in his first year alone...but the problem with scott skiles is that he pressures his players to much that after a year...players wouldnt respect him anymore...but he will get the most out of anyone....

• GSnow20 Vernal, UT
    April 10, 2013 10:49 p.m.

@JazzleDazzle

Jermaine Jackson, Janet Jackson, Jessie Jackson or even Mickey Mouse could have coached this team and their record wouldn't be much worse. If Scott Brooks is saying Ty Corbin is the same caliber coach as Phil Jackson, the Scott Brooks may need to get a psychological evaluation.

• fortydam OREM, UT
    April 12, 2013 8:04 a.m.

Kakashi, I'm not a Ty fan. I did hear Pat Riley talk about not coaching again unless he could pick his team. That team included at least a couple all stars and a dominating center like Alonzo Mourning. Likewise Jackson comes out of retirement when the stars align in LA. I'm not sure you could teach the triangle to Jefferson, he can't even rotate off of the pick and roll on defense. Corbin doesn't have that much talent to work with. Jefferson kills them on defense, and is a ball stopper on offense, yet Favors has been an up and down player because of his age. As great as Burks has played at times, he has stunk it up other times. Marvin can't shoot in this offense because he is a slasher, hard to slash when you post up big slow guys in the middle. Marvin has played stellar defense on some tough guys too. Hayward has his moments, but still can't finish and turns the ball over too much. I've been made at Corbin all year, but in hindsight he has a bad mix to work with. cont.

• fortydam OREM, UT
    April 12, 2013 8:19 a.m.

In 04/05 Sloan had Bloozer, Running in mud Okur, Mr hustle Harpring, give me a chance Humphries, I was an All star AK, I will be a star Bell, and I can shoot if I get something from the post Giricek. Sloan posted a awesome 26 win season with that group. I think Corbin isn't any worse than Jerry. If fact it's the same offensive sets. Jerry would pull his players at exactly the same time every game, it didn't matter if they were hot or not. Sloan had plenty of seasons with similar records to this one, why wasn't he roasted. He never won a title, and got blown out of the first round plenty of times. I think Corbin has done a fairly good job with all of the very young up and down talent that has. My point was that Jackson or Riley wouldn't even attempt to coach a team like this.