Utah Utes football: Whittingham pleased as Utes enter final 2 weeks of spring ball

Comments

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    April 9, 2013 10:38 p.m.

Looking forward to the season this year. Hopefully there's some consistency at QB. Good to hear that the D-Line is deep and that they have some talent. It's impossible to replace a player like Lotuleilei and having the Kruegers bail definitely caused some concern.

Cautiously optomistic that this year will be much better than last.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 10, 2013 7:07 a.m.

So the Utes have had a few days off from camp and today its reported that Whit now sees some progress looking at the film from last week.

Hmmm, I'm getting a different vibe from the 'tribe'.

It's worth repeating that as recent as only yesterday dedicated Ute fans were saying the following... from the other article:

"11-25 for 146 with 2 picks. Yuck."
    "yet we lost 3 starters off last years terrible line."
    "None of his Spring numbers have impressed me,"
    "We have too many issues on both sides of the ball to be a great team"
    "We lost a LOT of top Defensive players last year to graduation, and have some additional projected starters already out of the lineup due to injury."
    "I hope that when season comes they will be on the same page"
    "Many questions on defense, a lot of injuries right now."

I enjoy the 'frantic and emotional' state of Ute football.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2013 8:01 a.m.

I'm liking what I see from the team this year. K Whitt said all along it would take several years to change the program to be able to compete for Pac 12 championships. However, K Whitt knows what it takes to take this program to top 5 finishes and undefeated seasons, because he's already been part of a coaching staff that has done it twice.

I have faith he'll take this program back to where we belong.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 10, 2013 9:31 a.m.

"EXTRA POINTS...Senior Karl Williams has joined sophomore James Poole and junior Lucky Radley on the depth chart behind starter Kelvin York at running back."

Is that really an "extra point"? Hadn't he ALWAYS been on the depth chart with Poole and Radley behind York since York joined the team? Wouldn't an "extra point" be something like "Karl Williams moved to #1 on the depth chart, ahead of York, Poole, and Radley?"

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    April 10, 2013 9:38 a.m.

Of course whitt is going to say that his team is improving... What else is he going to say? This means absolutely nothing. I don't want to sound negative now... I do believe in coach whittingham and my utes... Just saying that this "improving" business is all coach speak and means absolutely nothing.

• RedBlood Bountiful, UT
    April 10, 2013 9:49 a.m.

I was up in one of the suites at Rice-Eccles stadium yesterday and was able to watch about 30-60 minutes of practice. Although it was from a far things really looked nice. I was especially impressed watching Brandon Cox throw, and run the ball. He is truly dual threat and could be a very special QB in the future. There was a ton of yelling, screaming, and generally pumped up players and coaches and the offense was obviously up tempo. They were hustling to the line and executing plays faster than I have ever seen at Utah. Of course there is coach speak and ups and downs. Much of our problem last year was at QB. The one thing Whittingham has been saying that is absolutely true is that we no longer have a QB issue. Travis Wilson is 6'6" and approaching 240. Conner Manning, Brandon Cox, Adam Schultz, and others, are in the pipe line. I am optimistic and think the Dennis Erickson factor will yield at least one or two more wins this year. We will need to go bowling or Whittingham will experience something he has never experienced, i.e. being on a hot seat.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 10, 2013 9:53 a.m.

Naval Vet, what it meant was that he's moved into a 3-way tie for #2 behind York instead of a solid #4 behind all of them.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2013 12:01 p.m.

When did Jason Whittingham become a D End?

• ekute Layton, UT
    April 10, 2013 12:26 p.m.

@sammyg

Up on The Hill, we enjoy the frantic and emotional state of the jealous haters.

Go Utes.

• Gone fishin Murray, UT
    April 10, 2013 12:43 p.m.

4 interceptions is good? For the U defense maybe. It will also be good fo opposing defenses. Utah will struggle at QB position this season and pretty much end up where they did the last two years. The PAC 10.2 will be a lot tougher this coming football season so nothing will change in the standings.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    April 10, 2013 3:24 p.m.

Hmm. Call me surprised that the BYU fan (sammyG) is critical of Ute fans using some critical thought and tempering expectations rather than swallowing every bit of coach speak as gospel truth.

The D-line is in trouble, and the O-line is looking good as a result. There are some huge question marks that need to be addressed by the opening kick off.

• Reasonable thinker Murray, UT
    April 10, 2013 5:14 p.m.

Sammyg is spot on. I have been around university athletics to know that we can't believe everything the coach says, although it is his job to flower things up so people will continue to buy tickets. I think we are in for the same as the past two seasons.
    Chris B, you are an eternal optimist. Don;t get your hope up too high or you will be in for a big let down. The PAc 12 will be a lot tougher this year.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    April 10, 2013 6:09 p.m.

@ sammyg "The paradox of Ute football... believing what Whit says or believing the stats and what fans 'see' and say. I enjoy the 'frantic and emotional' state of Ute football."

And what is the paradox of BYU football? Being told that you are a national brand yet you lose to the lowly Utes 80% of the time? Sammy, it's called "coach speak". Look no further than Bronco vs. Y fan comments about Riley Nelson last year.

• ekute Layton, UT
    April 10, 2013 6:12 p.m.

Me thinks the advantages of recruiting in the Pac12 and the consequences of going independent are going head to head on 9/21. It could be another 54-10.

I see Utah getting at least 6 wins and going bowling.

byu will be lucky to get 5 wins, most likely 4.

Go Utes.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 10, 2013 8:40 p.m.

ikute

To what may I be jealous of, certainly not any men's sports programs at the U.

I get a kick out of seeing the many comments from U guys and you get all frantic and emotional with me re-posting a few of U're comments. That's pretty funny.

Here's another special comment from one your own I forgot to share.

"I just don't know if we can trust what our coaches tell us anymore"

That kind of sums it up. What Whit and company have done for these past two seasons is pretty amazing isn't it? Says one thing and something else is really going on. Need I remind you about the Jordan Wynn fiasco?

I think the fans are spot on this season in their observation of Spring camp. A lot of unknowns, a lot injuries, and numbers don't lie.

Yes, there is cause for concern in Uteville. Have fun with it... I am.

• ekute Layton, UT
    April 10, 2013 9:14 p.m.

@sammyg

Insecurity leads to jealousy, hate and name calling. Since you have no confidence in your own team you resort to trolling on the Ute boards. Instead, why don't you jump on the wagon and enjoy the ride. Many good things to come for the Utes and their Fans in the Conference Of Champions. Go Utes.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 10, 2013 10:05 p.m.

ikute

Obviously you're one of those intolerant types that can't stand a different viewpoint from your own and then you resort to the typical mantra of calling people haters and invoking this stupid jealousy rant when you know it does not exist.

As to your comment about 6 wins and bowling, maybe you feel it but people that are paid to analyze sports for a living say the following:

"Fighting for scraps in the Pac-12 South is already going to be tough enough if you aren't from Los Angeles or the great State of Arizona. But for a team like Utah, which welcomes Pac-12 North favorites Stanford and Oregon to the schedule for the first time since joining the league, it makes things exponentially tougher."

Yep there's a certain vibe going on. Deal with it.

And yeah, I'm certainly jealous of Ute Conference of Champions accomplishments and I absolutely hate U of U gymnastics, the women's run in the WNIT, Star, Jordan, Alex Smith, Coach Whit, etc.

Makes sense to me. Geesh.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 11, 2013 11:21 a.m.

"We have the best QB situation in the country" - kyle whittingham 2005

LOL!

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2013 11:57 a.m.

Duckie,

Why don't you run off and go scout your Lone Peak little league teams so you can tell stories about what a kid was like in 7th grade, and save your LOL!s for Robert Anae interviews.

We know you can pull 2005 quotes out of a bag because 2005 is nothing compared to 1984.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 11, 2013 12:36 p.m.

@rbn

That post obviously affected you deeply. I'm pleased.

• Sheriff Andy Taylor Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2013 1:08 p.m.

RBN-

It's best not to feed the troll. But if you must, bring some heat man! I don't even know what you were trying to say. Mocking the Lone Peak team? That's almost akin to mocking their NC, if it were real.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 11, 2013 1:43 p.m.

Can't wait for Red White game, in particular seeing what Brandon Cox can do.

Go UTES!!

@Ducky and sammy

Speaking of saying one thing, and doing something else...

"The [Cougar] offense has plateaued with the existing leadership, after Anae’s six seasons on the job, we want consistent production, not every other year or every third year."
    -- Bronco 2010

I wonder which Bronco you both believe, 2010 or 2013?

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 11, 2013 2:27 p.m.

I respectfully disagree, Ragnar,

The Utah d-line has consistently been a staple at Utah for years. From Elliss to Soliai, Fifita, Ma'ake Kemoeatu to the Krugers, Star and many others. If there is one place where Utah reloads, it is the D-line. While 3 of the starters left, the guys replacing him got a lot of reps. Outside of Orchard and Reilly, they may not be household names, but I'm confident the D line will be just fine.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 11, 2013 3:29 p.m.

@sherrif gomer pyle

rbn is like most utah "fans", he can dish it but he can't take it, and to be honest if that is a sample of him "dishing it" he needs some work.

LOL!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    April 11, 2013 3:46 p.m.

Here kitty kitty kitty! Like kittens to a bowl of warm milk, the trollers come "flocking"!! GREAT entertainment!!

Go Utes!!

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    April 11, 2013 3:42 p.m.

pocyUte,

I hope you are right about this year. You are right about usually reloading, but the losses on D-line are big. I just don't see how the line can't take at least a small step back for at least the early part of the season. Star was so good, that the whole line could lean on his play. That won't be possible this year. It is a big concern for me considering how inconsistent the LB's have been the last few years.
    I think the talent will eventually show, but I don't put too much faith in how well the O-line is looking right now.
    I am usually with you, and the D-line is basically of no concern. But I have a bad feeling about replacing 3 starters, 1 being a generational talent. I overstated saying they are in trouble, but it is something I will be concerned about until we play somebody decent.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 11, 2013 8:04 p.m.

Ragnar,

I agree with you, especially with the LBs being shaky. It's time they stepped up and really sated having an impact. The d line certainly has to prove themselves, but I think they will. That said, I'm glad we have 2 non conference and 3 home games to start the season.

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    April 11, 2013 8:46 p.m.

I think somewhere in the middle of these comments is about right. The Utes may take a step backward on the D line but I think the O line will be much improved and, as a result, the whole Offense will be better. Wilson wil be improve and I'm excited to watch Jake Murphy and Dres Andersen. I don't think the Utes will be in Pasadena but I don't think 8 or 9 wins is out of the question. By the way, Sammt G and Duckie, How is BYU doing this spring? some of us support our own teams instead of constant trolling. I've not seen one BYU article nor do I care.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    April 12, 2013 9:54 a.m.

Hopefully a good Spring will lead to a good fall. One thing is certain; BYU will lose to Utah; it's a lock and a given!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 12, 2013 11:02 a.m.

Here's a quote from whittingham, reported in the trib today, about the qb "situation" at the u.

"Whittingham boasted Thursday the Utes might have two of the quarterbacks in the "upper echelon" of the Pac-12."

Really? The "upper echelon" of the pac 12? wilson and schulz? LOL!

And utah "fans" criticize Bronco's proclamations. I've already documented on here what his last claim about his "qb situation" being the best in the country.

LOL!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 12, 2013 11:10 a.m.

I'm not worried about the defense, even with a mediocre season last year they kept us in most games. Like road games against ranked teams Utah State, UCLA, and Oregon State. It's the offense that hasn't been able to deliver in those games.

The talent on the defense is much better than the offense, as proven by the number of NFL draft picks. So the defense should be just fine. I am just hoping that the offense finally comes through this year and raises it level of play.