Faith

Mormon women seek blessings of priesthood, not authority of priesthood, LDS women leaders say

Comments

• klangton Akiachak, AK
    April 5, 2013 4:33 p.m.

It will be interesting to watch this issue possibly "evolve' over the next years and decades.

• sally Kearns, UT
    April 5, 2013 4:39 p.m.

We've lived in many different areas of the U.S. It amazes me how many women consider being a RS President to be the highest calling in the church for women. They actually rank callings on their level of importance in their eyes. The lowest callings are cub leader and leading music in sacrament meeting. I have been informed by mothers all over the U.S. that it was my responsibility as a cub scout leader to make sure their child received their awards. They had more important callings in other organizations. They did not have time or interest in such a silly program. From my experience, I would say many women are into titles and authority. In Utah it is used to promote themselves in the employment arena. With womens lib, women are more competitive with each other. The idea that they are loving and kind is not really the norm. Why is it so difficult for women to even do Visiting Teaching? They pick and choose who they will visit and not. I would give 30% to the loving and kind group.

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    April 5, 2013 5:00 p.m.

klangton

What do you mean? Do you think that the church is going to "evolve" and let women hold the priesthood? What do you mean by your comment?

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    April 5, 2013 5:04 p.m.

The Rank and File female members of the LDS Church share a diversity of opinions on the issue priesthood ordination of LDS women. It will be interesting to see if the Des-News staff interviews Kate Kelly the founder of the "Ordain Women" movement. The Salt Lake Tribune addresses this topic in their paper today. What caught my eye in the Trib article was the issue of female member retention. Would giving women (young and old) greater leadership responsibilities keep them active? Thats a hard call.

Fellow readers sharing your opinions are welcome.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2013 5:15 p.m.

I think that the male leaders of the LDS Church (at least those in the leading councils of the Church) really do have a firm grasp of how to incorporate women into the Church leadership. It never has been, and never should be, about what title a woman holds; the issue is mutual participation. Mutual participation at all levels (as has been exemplified in the article above, viz. the missionary decision) is the goal. In the LDS Church, you take what there is to offer (and there is a lot), and you leave behind all the petty wranglings for titles and authority to other populaces. The Church is not built on the backs of men; the Church is not built on the backs of women; the Church is built on the backs of those who do what they are called to do and further the work. Gender never limits the amount of work you can do in the Church.

• m.g. scott clearfield, UT
    April 5, 2013 5:23 p.m.

Quote from article: "I think that if people could sit in those councils and realize how into the details our brethren are, how aware they are of individuals, of issues, of trends, of things that are taking place that really affect families......."

In the last couple of years or so, this country has moved toward many "trends" and "issues" that are far from what would be considered acceptable to LDS principles. I will be watching closely this weekend at General Conference to see if the brethren are going to address any of these issues and advise how we as LDS should respond to them. The world is changing so rapidly and affecting us so dramatically that the typical Conference talk that tells us about the young boy Joseph Smith ect. is not going to cut it. We need leadership and answers to many of the vexing questions of the day. I hope some of the General Authorities who speak to the Church have been so inspired to give us such.

• klangton Akiachak, AK
    April 5, 2013 5:29 p.m.

Evolve is an English word with various synonyms: develop, change, grow, progress, advance, go forward, etc.

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    April 5, 2013 5:43 p.m.

klangton

I am aware of the definition, I was responding to your comment. How will this issue evolve?

• youtefan Bountiful, UT
    April 5, 2013 6:00 p.m.

I believe you see it any way you choose! Their point in my eyes is that their opinions are are highly regarded and respected because they were called by God to preside over their organizations! I believe all callings have God's hand in them! The test is how you accept them and how you regard them! I am sad that you feel otherwise!

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    April 5, 2013 5:56 p.m.

I loved the line about how equality doesn't always mean sameness. We have equal value in the church and home. I've been an organist nearly all my life, and I value my calling as much as anyone in the church and I devote hours each week to practicing and improving my skill, so that I can provide a better spiritual experience in meetings through my music. I think some of the most inspired women I know, are those who choose the music each week for sacrament meeting. That is a calling I value as much as any calling in the church.

• Supporting LDS Church Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2013 6:03 p.m.

I sustain the Lord's church, His ways, His teachings. He reveals through the prophet and I sustain the prophet.

I don't imagine the Lord's kingdom is one of "social movements" with people propagating to persuade their Lord to govern differently. He is our Lord and governor and we follow Him. These decisions are not ours to make. Pondering is something in our nature that we inherited from our Heavenly Parents. However, expressing "I wish it were differently" is something we should carefully consider before we voice in front of others who ponder and struggle with issues. I believe we can best benefit from focusing on the Savior in our daily doings while pondering sacred things in private.

The LDS Women Leaders are absolutely correct in that these women want the blessings. This is a good desire. Any woman pondering such things ought to focus on such blessings and how they can bring them into their lives. I only hope that any 'movement' will lead to bettering of lives and not disputes.

Women have motherhood and child bearing responsibilities.
    Men have fatherhood and priesthood responsibilities.

I know there is wisdom and purpose in this design.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    April 5, 2013 6:41 p.m.

In all reality, women have authority over the most important asset in this Church; to wit, the children of the covenant. They give them life, they raise them up from babies to adulthood, hopefully in the gospel. Generally, a righteous mother raises righteous children. The father does have the priesthood, which is ideal in a family, but his priesthood would avail him naught if he didn't have his wife for time and eternity. These protesters who want for LDS women to receive the priesthood have little knowledge of the eternal purpose of the priesthood. A man and a woman joined in marriage in the holy temple become eternal companions; he and his wife are co-equal partners and each has his or her life and challenges in their families and in the Church as it is God's plan. After all, this plan was authored by God in the Garden of Eden wherein He tasked Adam to earn his bread by the sweat of his brow and Eve to have children. God never said that one was better than the other, God wanted them to work together. It is the same today.

• Bloodhound Provo, UT
    April 5, 2013 8:10 p.m.

I don't think the Church needs to give the priesthood to women to keep them active. When I attend my ward, there are plenty of active, involved women in the congregation. Probably a few more women than men are there each Sunday. When I'm at the temple, women sometimes outnumber men two or three to one. So, I think female involvement is pretty good. I believe we should be concerned about what's going on with the men. That said, the LDS Church seems to have more men in their pews on Sundays than many other Churches. I suspect their responsibilities in the Priesthood make them want to be more responsible and involved. God and the prophets know what they are doing. These social movement Mormons will never be happy with the Church. They judge the Church by the philosophies of the world instead of judging the philosophies of the world by the values of the Gospel.

• shimmer Orem, UT
    April 5, 2013 8:23 p.m.

Supporting LDS Church

Motherhood should not be considered the equalizer when it comes to women not having the Priesthood, because any worthy man can receive the Priesthood whereas not all women have the opportunity to be mothers.

• DistantThunder Vincentown, NJ
    April 5, 2013 10:54 p.m.

What a difference in makes in the lives of poor women who are working to keep food on the table and a roof over the heads of their family to share that burden with an honest hardworking husband who is willing to bear the brunt of overwhelming circumstances instead of running off to the bar, or running off to be with another woman. Through the gospel man is taught to feel the weight of responsibility and leadership in a healthy whole-some way that supports the family in it's most difficult times. Watch when a father who loves his family walks through the door, and kneels down to receive the embraces of his young children. The world teaches men that they are burdened and hen-pecked as committed fathers and husbands, but the gospel of Christ tells men to submit themselves to God and be the example in their family. That's real leadership. Men can be taught to step up and lean into the role of family leadership.

• Supporting LDS Church Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2013 11:12 p.m.

I hold the priesthood. I don't feel 'above' anyone for it and there is no inequality in my filling this role, a mother filling another, and a woman without children filling a completely different role. We are all equal in God's eyes and I know this to be true. Faithful members of the church know that there is no inequality in the Lord's kingdom. That is what I know of this matter. I will share my knowledge but do not wish to dispute fine points. Make no mistake, I can argue my beliefs, including this, 5 different ways if I felt it was right. I have spent too much time arguing really. But for this it is best that I simply share what I know to be true and not contend.

If you would like clarification on this or any other doctrine, you can inquire as I once did. But if you want to ask for answers, I'm really not who you ought to ask. If you aren't looking for answers then you'll have either made up your own or perhaps you inquired and received an answer. In any case, I wish you well.

• jeanie orem, UT
    April 6, 2013 1:00 a.m.

M.g.scott - you may very well be disappointed in conference. Mostly the brethren teach principles and then *we* apply them to the world's complex issues.

Bloodhound said,"These social movement Mormons will never be content with the church." This is true. I am not sure why these same emoted ideas flare up every few generations and parade about as if it's not all been said before. It is sad to me to see the next generation of supposedly forward thinking, "evolving" LSD women believe their ideas are new, bold and untried. They will be met with the same answers as they were just 30 years ago. I think some women get bored and need something to keep their blood pumping.

• Just a Question ,
    April 6, 2013 2:50 a.m.

I really believe these women to be sincere. I also believe the 12 Apostles and First Pres. to be sincere and striving daily for humility. But just because people have sincere and good intentions doesn't make them right and infallible. This entire piece felt contrived (wether intentional or unintentional) and it was a masterful piece of propaganda: three women try to convince the female viewers that there is no "power" or "authority" problem as they take direct council/orders from a men-only upper management. The piece seemed like it was engineered as a Jedi-mind-trick, waving their hands infront of viewers saying "Women don't want the priesthood, women don't need the priesthood," while the viewers watch with their hearts, listening to the soothing and and inspirational voices and repeat blankly "women don't want the priesthood, women don't need the priesthood." Problem solved.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    April 6, 2013 5:19 a.m.

"I don't imagine the Lord's kingdom is one of "social movements" with people propagating to persuade their Lord to govern differently."

Except that by saying that, you're ignoring most of the history of change in the church. Most famously, the Word of Wisdom came about because of a plea from Emma Smith. The membership of the Church had wanted the 1978 revelation long before there was a serious effort to study it and change it. FHE came about because of grassroots efforts.

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    April 6, 2013 7:09 a.m.

Content aside, I find the rapid response by the Church interesting.
    Some issues fester for years and get no official attention or explanation.
    Why are some issues addressed immediately and with great authority while others are not?

• Fern RL LAYTON, UT
    April 6, 2013 9:01 a.m.

I would love to see a Mormon woman as POTUS if she were politically moderate and fiscally conservative, but within The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I would not like to see teenage girls being required to pass the sacrament.

• John C. C. Payson, UT
    April 6, 2013 9:17 a.m.

With or without the priesthood, the most powerful people in the Church, or in any home, are those who live up to the standards revealed in Doctrine and Covenants 121:34-45. Allow me to risk some paraphrasing.

Few men who have priesthood authority conferred on them actually use it right. They're more about status than service. They hypocritically hide their own sins, then wonder why they can't make their home or church organization work right. That's just how most men are. They need to learn from women how to be patient, gentle, meek, kind, knowledgeable, unselfish, and loving. Persuasion trumps commands. A proper priesthood father cares more about the comfort and interests of his wife and children than his own, and is desperately aware of his need for God’s help to look past his own selfish appetites.

Women and children will only trust their loyalty to a father or priesthood leader who proves by his actions that he subordinates his own interests to theirs.

• Allen Salt Lake valley, UT
    April 6, 2013 10:08 a.m.

How will the church evolve? In a general way, towards more leadership rolls for women as well as for men. Women holding the Priesthood is only one path that the church could take in its evolution. Decreasing the age of women missionaries, as well as for men missionaries, is a recent change. Another change, a very recent change, is the creation of leadership councils in each mission and the inclusion of women missionaries in that council. We will see other changes occur in the church, not changes in doctrine but changes in policy.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 6, 2013 1:24 p.m.

Take a look at the photo that accompanies the 'church leader challenge' article. Seek the blessings, ladies, but it looks like there's a pretty thick glass ceiling.

• m.g. scott clearfield, UT
    April 6, 2013 5:01 p.m.

Re: jeanie

Agree. However, my point was more about teaching these principles and using them in todays world. I heard Elder Bednars talk today. Clearly THAT was what I wanted to hear from an Apostle. (And without being presumptious, an Apostle who because of age will likely be around for a long time to come.) It was very easy to "Read Between the Lines" of Elder Bednars talk and I'm glad he did not shy away from undoubtedly offending some who heard it. Also I thought President Packer talking about the dangers of too much "tolerance" was a great point, and one to ponder. Bravo to the Lords spokespersons for speaking up so powerfully.

• DHan Syracuse, UT
    April 6, 2013 5:04 p.m.

If all that matters is your "status", you're doing it wrong.

• Cowboy Dude SAINT GEORGE, UT
    April 7, 2013 8:03 a.m.

Under the direction of the Priesthood, women do have authority. Why are women not ordained? I don't know, but women do things without ordination men can not do such as redeem the dead and receive the highest covenants of the temple.

For over 150 years LDS women have given discourses and prayers in congregations and have been "Set Apart" by the laying on of hands to perform Church callings by authority of the Priesthood.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    April 7, 2013 8:33 a.m.

We are watching evolution before our eyes. Soon 50% or more mission calls will go to women. There are more male missionaries because their missions are 25% longer.

I expect there may be women only mission districts and perhaps female District Leaders leading these districts. Local congregations and families will perform the baptisms. Other than baptizing, women will be called with the same authority to serve.

As Allen said above, these are not changes in doctrine, just in (policy)or administration of the doctrine.

• GemmaB Mercer Island, WA
    April 8, 2013 12:06 p.m.

Having read the pleas of many faithful LDS women, I find that the majority of LDS women asking for change are not asking to hold the priesthood at all. They're not asking for any doctrinal changes, but changes to traditions found in the church.

I was so pleased to see women saying the prayer at conference. I admit to wondering about that for years, as having the priesthood has nothing to do with saying a prayer at conference. That is not a doctrinal change but a welcome change in "how things have been done." This and with the announcement of the new mission leadership council that will include women warmed my heart because it feels like the current leadership is open to hearing the pleas of these faithful LDS women.

I believe the gospel of Jesus Christ includes equality for men and women, but some of the traditions of the church began in a different time when women held a different place in society. Not DOCTRINE, but TRADITIONS.

And at some point, can I be listed on the church records as a co-Head of Household with my husband instead of being called merely "spouse"?

• Polly Ranchester, WY
    April 8, 2013 12:49 p.m.

I am a "just" a chorister but have never felt that I was not important...nor even less important than the Relief Society President. As a woman in The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I am as important and as worthwhile as I make myself to be. My Heavenly Father loves me no matter what. I can make him proud or I can sadden him...it is up to me. I have no desire to hold the Priesthood...but I do hope that I can UPHOLD the Priesthood. Our Priesthood leaders show respect to the women of our unit by trusting and asking for their opinions and ideas. I am a strong woman and feel that I can add a lot of wisdom and experience to our unit.(if asked)

• Paul in MD Montgomery Village, MD
    April 8, 2013 3:40 p.m.

junkgeek,

It is true that some changes in the church were instigated by questions, etc, from members. But the Word of Wisdom is a good example. Emma went to Joseph. What did Joseph do with that? Did he just change the rules, or write his own new set of rules? No, he considered the matter, then took it to the Lord, and the Lord gave us the Word of Wisdom.

I believe the same is true of every change in church doctrine. And some changes that people want will never happen in the doctrine of the church. Our will can never supersede the will of the Father. God does not take direction from man or woman, and anyone who believes He does need to give serious consideration to his eternal prospects.

• chinookdoctor PASADENA, CA
    April 9, 2013 1:05 p.m.

Motherhood and the priesthood administration of church affairs are not the same, and never will be. The fact that 15 men head this church without any equal female leadership is inconsistent with the words of God that all men and women, bond and free, black and white (read that in spiritual, not skin color terms) are loved and respected by Him. That means that the culturally derived bans on priesthood for people of African descent and women are inconsistent with God's plan--the latter is part of an ancient semitic culture. Those who propagate it in the church are following their own culture, not Christ's doctrine. I am an active member of the church, married in the temple, returned missionary, full tithe payer, mother of five (4 who died), and working woman. How an I disqualified from commenting? This isn't a social movement, it is a recognition of God's ways over the philosophies of men. No scriptural support exists for any priesthood ban, including this one, that has ever existed in the church. Study and pray about it, when the Prophets do that, we'll see a change. One doesn't have to leave the church to agree.

• Rita52 ANN ARBOR, MI
    April 9, 2013 2:09 p.m.

junk, there was massive attention and prayer about the extension of the priesthood to all worthy men long before 1978. President David O. McKay was struggling and pleading with the Lord about it in the 1950s. And there had been efforts even before that. This was not a new topic for the Church, nor were the leaders ignoring it until "forced" to address it by the Civil Rights activism in the late 1960s. Pres. McKay said he was told by the Lord to wait. When the Lord wanted it to happen, it did. Argue the timing with Him.

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2013 10:32 a.m.

The women that want the priesthood power are thinking "equal equal" not "different but equal". I mentioned this on fb the other day and another poster told me in the world she "lived in" everything was "equal equal". Really? If we both have a candy bar, and you have your favorite, and I have mine, is there a reason for either of us to feel shortchanged over having our favorite and not exactly the same as the other person has.

The power of the preisthood that men hold, and the power to create that women hold, are meant to work hand in hand. Sure they are different, but equally important.

Even the scriptures point out that we are to be "equally yoked".

• Ed Meyer Kanab, UT
    April 10, 2013 10:46 a.m.

I'm a convert to the LDS faith and sometimes I have questions. The Sisters in this article did a great job expressing their perspective on the equality of women in the Church. Sometimes I think about whether, since women are allowed to serve missions, they might at some point serve as a bishop, stake president, member of the Quorum of the Twelve or even as Prophet. However, I know that this is not, nor should it be, the current practice in the LDS faith. The reason it should not currently be the case is that the Lord has not told the Prophet that it should be. Will this happen in the future? I have no idea. However, blacks now hold the Priesthood so perhaps that day will come. I have confidence that our leadership in prayerful consultation with our Heavenly Father will make the right decision at the right time as they have in the past. I'm not going to worry about it though my personal belief is that the LDS faith would not have survived to this day without the good works of our Sisters.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2013 11:14 a.m.

I've always said that we are preparing for His return. On that day, there will be no "hyperventilating" over social issues, political agendas, defamation accusations, gender-equality debates or marches/parades.

What you think personally about anything won't matter much when darkness covers the earth and the moon changes color.

My guess is "humility" will rule the day. We will get "over ourselves" and our petty issues pretty quickly.

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    April 10, 2013 3:38 p.m.

The question that seems asking is what decisions would be different if women were priesthood holders? The video answers that with showing the input is there, with the respect. Works that way not only in the councils these three women sit on, but locally as well. In practice the local RS President is as involved and indeed usually more influential in the affairs of a ward. The Primary Presidency is entirely female. The YM/YW are essentially split 50/50. Mission presidents serve with their wives, as do the temple presidencies -- sharing teaching, training and speaking duties. Inside the temple you'll know that women are officiating ordinances. In a paid clergy, sure if women couldn't hold priesthood they'd not be paid; or being discriminated against, paid less and so forth. It is a lay church where women are participating and running things in most every facet. So again, exactly what would be gained or be different if women held the priesthood? Those who understand the restored gospel and the workings of the church know the answer to that question is nothing.

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    April 10, 2013 4:47 p.m.

Well said, USA Lover, well said.

A healthy dose of humility would serve many of us well. How dare any of us think we can presume to know more of how the Church should be run than God.

• Vince here San Diego, CA
    April 11, 2013 9:42 a.m.

Shimmer,

I agree with you - motherhood and a number of other justifications are used as a way to "show" that women should not hold the priesthood. However, none of these justifications are scripturally based.

In fact, it is just the opposite. Both the Old and New Testaments and anthropological evidence show proof that women were called and - as it should be the restoration of all things, is not the priesthood one of them?

The ban of women from the priesthood comes from a different source other than Biblical authority - such as Medieval orthodoxy and Puritan ideologies.

• vern001 Castle Rock, CO
    April 11, 2013 12:18 p.m.

I think LDS women don't necessarily want the priesthood, but many do want a greater say in church affairs. And since many meetings where decisions are made only involve priesthood holders, you see why some women feel left out.

And there are definitely callings that are traditionally male or female that don't have to be. Why must the primary president always be a woman? There are some great dads out there who would be outstanding in that calling. Why can't a woman be Sunday school president?

If the church wishes to attract more members, it will have to address this issue.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    April 12, 2013 5:54 a.m.

I'd much rather have women in authority. They're better organizers and make sure things get done. Men "hope" things get done.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    April 12, 2013 9:15 a.m.

This is the "issue de jour" in our society. The role of women within the family as well as leadership roles in both church and state. The Democrats have their version of the truth. Teilhard de Chardin has his. As a Republican voter and Navy vet, I would hope that the Republicans can come up with a viable solution or else they will fade just like the Whigs before the Democrats split into the major parties of today.

• Kay K USA, UT
    April 12, 2013 11:47 a.m.

My two cents: The doctrine concerning men holding the priesthood wont change. Men have the authority to command and direct through the priesthood while women have the responsibility to be a co-partener with God in bringing children into this world and raising them with love and faith. Look at it this way, we as members of the LDS church are taught that the family is the basis of all creation; it is the reason we are all here. Within the family unit, the father (priesthood holder) is the "head" of the home, but the woman is the "neck." She can, in an indirect way, be part of the priesthood authority. While she does not hold it, she can help and encourage her husband make those critical family decisions that require the use of the priesthood.

Some women in the church may feel disgruntled because they cannot hold the priesthood, but I think it is important to remember that even if women cannot hold the priesthood, they can be an influence for good and help make those important decisions.

Behind every good man is a great woman.

• kosimov Riverdale, UT
    April 12, 2013 3:07 p.m.

Re: Just a Question - First of all, what is the question? Second, while you are entitled to your opinion about how the video was presented, you have taken another step and shared that with others and maybe influenced some in a negative way, so I thought I would ask YOU a question: suppose, as you say, the presentation was a bit stiff and didn't sound as smooth or professional or personal or whatever, as you wished it to. That is OK. Are you sure there is some negative, subversive reason or purpose behind that? Or could it be that the women, not being used to making videos to be seen by millions of people, are not as skilled at acting as they are at leading women in the Church? So, they wrote a script to follow. In reading their script, that they wrote, perhaps they, like so many others of us, tended to read the script instead of acting it out. Then, it sounded a bit "wooden", a bit like it was not spontaneous. This is just as possible, as is the idea that they had a nefarious purpose behind their video and didn't sound animated.

• kosimov Riverdale, UT
    April 12, 2013 3:41 p.m.

The reason some are confused or unhappy about why women don't hold the Priesthood is because we are trying to make the Church into just another worldly organization, such as the UN. For one thing, when this order was established, survival was a daily battle, so we were organized based on strength, size, child-rearing, etc. Now, we don't need that for survival, but it still is the best way according to God. The world denies even the existence of God and thus, ignores His wishes and instruction, which means the selfish desires of men and women trump God's wishes.

In the Church, we still believe in God and do His will. Women do not hold the Priesthood to be free to provide the 24/7 care which God requires for family, though they are still needed for leadership. Sometimes men are gone for long hours and days due to Priesthood office. Women could not do that and obey God. Just because we have a society which gets by without giving children and family the 24/7 care of women, doesn't make it OK. God does not compete for attention!

• kosimov Riverdale, UT
    April 12, 2013 5:58 p.m.

(1)Male and Female have always existed as separate genders, hence, we were created here with the same differences. It is vital to remember that we have been taught by revelation that this is crucial to all the plans of Heaven for us. We cannot support making men and women "equal", or in other words, "the same", in ways not intended by God and remain His people and support His plan and Will.

We also know that (2)Lucifer/Satan is working diligently to destroy this relationship because it would also harm and eventually destroy the family, even more than current efforts to take children from families and give them to the state. The more he can do to make women unhappy being women, and get them to work to become like men, and vice-versa, the "happier" he is, and the worse off we are. This is only the first step to destroy God's will; worse things will happen next.

I am not opposed to women seeking parity in jobs, etc. But the Priesthood is "ordained of God" and cannot be altered by "man's will" - or women's!!

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2013 6:50 p.m.

Dennis: There's lots of ways I'd rather have done things in my life. When I learn to give up the way I want to do something and do it the way the Lord wants me to, I am much more successful. Fortunately this isn't our church. Unfortunately, more people are forgetting that.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    April 14, 2013 12:24 p.m.

There's a disease of whining spreading through out the country.

For people who disagree with church policy, --just leave.

• JanSan Pocatello, ID
    April 14, 2013 5:09 p.m.

I grew up in the ERA era.
    The way it was explained to me as I was just beginning my teenage years was that God had two great and sacred gifts. He gave one to women(bearing children) men (Priesthood). Each came with stress and heartache and pain... each came with wonder and beauty and eternal realities.
    Soooooooooo the way I see it - when REAL men start giving birth to babies then I will start yelling about things being UN-equal! For now... we stand equal in God's eyes and that is good enough for me.

• haggie Visalia, CA
    April 15, 2013 2:42 p.m.

Junkgeek,

Wrong on the Emma Smith/Word of Wisdom story. Take a look at the Joseph Smith paper's series. You will be enlightened or at least educated.

One telling story, however, in my humble opinion is the widely documented story of the Lost Manuscripts. Joseph pled with God, and my understanding is that Heavenly Father basically said, "Since you won't listen to me, go ahead". Not that I think He will say that regarding the priesthood, but just to point out that Heavenly Father will accomplish His work in spite of our grumblings.

Bottom line is that this is or it isn't the work of our Savior. If it is, your kicking against the pricks so to speak. If it isn't the Saviors work then men will change it.

I believe it is His work. So it will be what He wants it to be.

• Kate Hutch Kenmore, WA
    April 15, 2013 3:45 p.m.

Sally from Kearns....it is not 'women's lib' that caused the competitiveness.' THAT has always been the case. Who is the MOST religious. Who is the MOST pious. Who is the MOST important. There is a pecking order, which is why women are likened to chickens. There are many sayings that call women words that mean 'hen.' Watch Cranford, a PBS historical production. It has always been so.

• Kate Hutch Kenmore, WA
    April 15, 2013 4:06 p.m.

I read as many comments as I could. The arrogance of the men in Utah drove me to move away 25 years ago. The idea that men are 'letting' women do anything is just wrong. Woman are human beings who are just as intelligent and capable as men to lead. Nobody has to 'let' them, unless you live in Utah. I quit subscribing to this news feed...but suddenly it appeared again in my mail. The Mormon Church is reaching out because the number of women is diminishing. It's not rocket science. The rest of the country shakes its head at Utah's strange ways and how you think men 'let' women do ANYTHING. Equal is equal. One does not lord over another. How arrogant can you be?

• Kate Hutch Kenmore, WA
    April 15, 2013 5:48 p.m.

You people in Salt Lake City and surrounding area sure do find a lot of ways to make excuses for something that is outright wrong. The stories you tell yourselves about Heavenly Father and what Heavenly Father wants....well...how do you know? A human told you! You don't actually know what "Heavenly Father" wants, because Heavenly Father does not speak. A man just says what he wants to see happen...and you all act like it is divine. When you elect a woman or a black person to a position of power in your church, you might have something to talk about. Mitt got more people to look at your state and the way you do things. Turns out, most Americans don't agree or like it. Your numbers are shrinking and you would not be reaching out if your money supply was not shrinking also. Eventually you will have to face the realities that everybody else faces. White males just are not superior. We don't believe you any more.

• Gregory Hill Richboro, PA
    April 16, 2013 7:34 a.m.

Isn't one of the blessings of the Priesthood the opportunity to be considered for leadership positions within the Church (serving as a Bishop or as a Mission President)?

Since sisters in the Church cannot hold the Priesthood, they cannot serve in so many leadership callings. I think we brethren in the Church, if we are honest with ourselves, will gladly concede that many of our sisters, wives and mothers have leadership skills that equal or surpass those we possess, and those that are possessed by our brothers and fathers.

I believe that the Church is led by messengers of the Lord, and I would never seek to counsel them. But I see nothing pernicious in an organization of faithful sisters who ask the Brethren, respectfully, to consider whether the restriction on conferring priesthood authority on sisters is truly the Lord's immutable law, or whether it is a culturally-inspired practice that can and should change, as the Genesis Group did when so many of us thought that the denial of Priesthood to black Africans was the law of the Lord, and would probably not change until the Millenium.