Jordan High parts ways with boys basketball coach

Comments

• markymark HERRIMAN, UT
    April 1, 2013 11:14 p.m.

They must have been looking for any little reason to get him out. Lesson learned, if you don't have a new spot don't tell everyone your leaving. I heard he was putting in for the Bingham job, maybe he thought he was getting that.

• rph Arlington, VA
    April 2, 2013 6:25 a.m.

"That, coupled with the fact that freshman will attend all Canyons District Schools next fall, led to the move."

What does this sentence even mean?

• pb Vernal, UT
    April 2, 2013 7:08 a.m.

Bottom line! Don't tell people you are leaving, that's a no brainer

• Proud to be American West Jordan, UT
    April 2, 2013 8:50 a.m.

He never told anyone he was leaving. That is a smoke screen and is untrue.

• Uncle Sam West Jordan, UT
    April 2, 2013 10:43 a.m.

The comments about him leaving are untrue. He was planning to stay put so that is an incorrect quote by the principal.

• YforLife draper, UT
    April 2, 2013 11:19 a.m.

need some stability in the program? Geertsen has run the most fiscally and academically successful program at Jordan High, probably ever. To say that it is even relevant that there are teaching positions that need to be filled when Geertsen is indeed already a teacher and wasn't planning on changing that AND the position on canyons school district it says teaching optional... so are they really looking for a teacher? NO. They are trying to push out a coach who has developed a successful program that teaches our children the fundamentals of life. Cheating and lying is NOT part of Geertsen's philosophy because of that he loses his position. Bush-league.

• YforLife draper, UT
    April 2, 2013 11:29 a.m.

And to clear up that little rumor Geertsen had no intention of going to Bingham. He never even applied.

• RiderZoey Sandy, UT
    April 2, 2013 12:48 p.m.

Rob Geertsen is a good man and GREAT coach. I am an outsider looking in, however, some of the super league boys I coached played for Geertsen at JHS. He mentored these boys about life's valuable lessons far beyond the basketball court. He taught them service in the community and he was genuinely concerned for their overall success on and off the court. His record speaks for itself. My dad always said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Geertsen is a class act! He taught by example: passion, discipline, respect and leadership. Sorry to say, but JHS, this is your loss.

• Downtime Saint George, UT
    April 2, 2013 1:30 p.m.

Hopefully, the Bingham and Snow Canyon boys' coaches are next. Horrible, horrible examples for our young men.

• ParkCityAggie Park City, Ut
    April 2, 2013 1:48 p.m.

Best of luck Rob! I know you'll land on your feet!

• Diggerfan55 ,
    April 2, 2013 2:26 p.m.

As a parent of a former basketball player, I am just sick about this decision! Coach Geertsen is the best thing that has ever happened to that school. I have never seen a coach run a more all-around first class program! My son achieved his first ever 4.0 GPA with him as a coach, he challenged him both on and off the court to be the best he could be. I hope that the current parent base understands what a huge loss this is for their boys!

I am confident that Coach Geertsen will land on his feet if he ever coaches again. There has to be a million principals out there that would take a coach with high standards that is also an excellent coach.

Huge loss for Jordan High School.

• DiggerDad Sandy, UT
    April 2, 2013 3:10 p.m.

The current parents are well aware of the loss and are not happy about it. Coach has done an outstanding job with these young men. He understands that basketball is not the future of most and prepares them for life. More then can be said for a majority of the High School sports programs in the state.

It does not sit well with me, that's for sure!!

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    April 2, 2013 4:03 p.m.

High school sports in Utah crack me up. I've never seen so much drama in high school coaching changes than in Utah. Such changes are a blip on the news radar screen elsewhere.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2013 4:27 p.m.

SC Reader....what did you say? And who are you to judge, your state is $150 billion in the hole......maybe if parents cared more about educating, academics and success in California, you wouldn't be broke?

• plyxply SLC, UT
    April 2, 2013 5:20 p.m.

Jordan's administration is a complete joke. They allow cheating in their other programs and look the other way when parents are assaulted by coaches, yet fire an honest, upstanding, good role model.
    Someone really needs to look into Jordan high school and what really goes on there. Perhaps when the Canyons school district finishes trying to open up their castle in Draper they'll realize what a train wreck Jordan high school has become.

• markymark HERRIMAN, UT
    April 2, 2013 7:23 p.m.

RE:Downtime

Bingham has already fired there coach and hired another one.

• Speak English - USA West Jordan, UT
    April 2, 2013 8:12 p.m.

Huge group of parents and players at the school board meeting right now supporting their basketball coach. Stay tuned!

• InsideView Draper, UT
    April 3, 2013 10:09 a.m.

I had a son play for Rob for one year (his second year at Jordan). My son really respects Rob and looks up to him. Even though I do not agree with some of his basketball coaching styles I have to say that I have come to respect him for his hard work and the time he puts into the program. I have learned that his first objective is the boys he coaches. That is quite obvious. I agree with previous posts that someone should look into the athletics at Jordan. I have a sneaking Hutch (whoops) I mean Hunch that the athletic director at the school is behind letting Rob go. I think Hunter is out for himself and has a motive behind what has happened. I would like to get the comments from the athletic director on this.

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2013 12:00 p.m.

Facts of the matter are that the Jordan high basketball program never lived up to the talent level at the school during Geertsen's tenure. In the last 5 years, both the football program and the baseball program won state championships while the basketball team struggled to make the state playoffs. There are as many "good kids and scolars" on those programs yet they win.

Time for a change.

• ErnieMc TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    April 3, 2013 1:58 p.m.

Agree with Carnak.

• ErnieMc TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    April 3, 2013 2:12 p.m.

Lots of "good kids and scholars" in all the sports programs at Jordan...most coaches do a great job of that. Looks like they finally solved the mystery of the "Geermuda Triangle" where, over the years, many of the state's highly talented players, with promise, enter and end up not moving to the next level or even being successful in HS. Whether it is from quitting, transferring or just suffocating in that program. I see a lot of supportive comments, which is great and obviously came in a coordinated effort from this year's crop of parents once this article broke, but you would get a way different story from any of the previous players "with promise" and their parents who don't care anymore and certain aren't out proactively looking for this article. Bottom line is that coaches should adapt and leverage the talent they have, not force some slow, clunky system that have proven unsuccessful year after year, down everyone's throats. It's about the kids, not the coach! BTW, don't get too excited about this year’s success. HS basketball in UT was way down this year except for Loan Peak obviously.

• YforLife draper, UT
    April 3, 2013 4:03 p.m.

I completely disagree with Carnak.

How many of those players on the football and baseball team are IN BOUNDARY kids who are supposed to go to Jordan? Let's be honest here. There teams are comprised of recruited out of boundary kids from all over the Salt Lake valley and in regards to the football team kids from California. Anyone can win a championship team with a super-league team. The basketball team from this past season won more wins than any other in the past 30 years at Jordan... and all of the kids are zoned for Jordan High.

• Diggerfan55 ,
    April 3, 2013 4:52 p.m.

Question for Ernie. Do you know who the second highest scoring basketball team was in all of 5A this year? Only national champion Lone Peak scored more points per game than this team.

I doubt either of you saw a game this year, but the "slow, clunky" style of play that you are referring to is definitely not Jordan.

I hardly ever post, but it is hard not to ignore comments that are totally off base.

The answer to the question is Jordan. 66.6 PPG trailed only Lone Peak in points per game. I guess you better check your facts before you post.

• Proud to be American West Jordan, UT
    April 3, 2013 4:56 p.m.

Slow down style of basketball? Did you see Jordan play this year? They were one of the highest scoring teams in the whole State of Utah! I loved their style of play this year!

• playwhereyoulive SLC, UT
    April 3, 2013 5:54 p.m.

Hey Carnak, my screen name says it all. How good do you think Jordan football and baseball would be if we went to that sort of a system? Yeah, well below .500.

I only saw Jordan play twice this year. They played an up tempo style of basketball that I enjoyed watching in their tourney finale against East and Utah signee Parker Van Dyke and I also saw them against West Jordan when they beat West Jordan by about 20. In both games I enjoyed watching a solid high school point guard who fed a good high school post. They had good role players around them and that is why they had success. Most impressive to me was the way that their team had a chemistry about them that I believe helped them overachieve this year.

I was shocked to see this article, Jordan High let a good coach go for no reason. Why would anyone want to coach? It's crazy.

• Frankness TALLAHASSEE, FL
    April 3, 2013 6:52 p.m.

Some good arguments on both sides here. I didn't know coach but I know Hunter, like and trust him. Something doesn't add.

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2013 7:14 p.m.

.... yet he has no job.

• bw00ds Tucson, AZ
    April 3, 2013 11:44 p.m.

As a teacher in the secondary public school system for 17 years, I have come to the conclusion that the way administrators think is a mystery of life. Totally. Their decisions often are illogical and violate any principles of common sense. I swear, to get an administrator's degree (and why does one need a degree in this?), they put them through a transmogrifier which changes their thought patterns. And unless you know the dynamics behind the transmogrifier, you will never know how an administrator thinks. Like this one.

• Unbelievable West Jordan, Utah
    April 4, 2013 11:35 a.m.

When you're 2-10 vs Alta and 3-9 vs Brighton, during six seasons, that doesn't bode well, for any Jordan coach against their rivals. Didn't hardly sniff a region title in six years with only three state tourny appearances, having won only one game (1-3 overall). Jordan teams seemed to always peak early, every season, then fade as the rigors of the season wore on.

Geertsen accomplished many other great things, as has been mentioned throughout the story and comment section. His teams looked good and represented their school well. They were in the community, serving both the young and the old. Their Holiday tournament was second to none.

Geertsen is the kind of guy you would want to influence your son, a player's coach, but in this buisness (coaching) it's dog eat dog, the bottom line is that winninig is going to win out, every time, unfortunatley. It's that way at every level of life, from marbles, to jacks, to hopscotch.

I feel for both in this story. The coach, because he is loved and reveered, along with the administrator, who wants to try something different.

Best luck to everyone affected/involved.

• playwhereyoulive SLC, UT
    April 4, 2013 12:42 p.m.

"Winning is going to win out every time". Wow. What a statement. I guess then by that measure every single coach with a losing record in all sports should be fired after they are given 3-4 years? (Keep in mind Geertsen was 74-57 at Jordan, I just tallied it up and saw it in another article.) Let me ask you a question. Which coach in the State of Utah has the winning-est record in the last 20-25 years in Utah that has NOT been fortunate enough to have a D-1 player go through his program? Go look it up, I will be curious to hear the answer to the question. I have not looked it up, but I bet the answer is the same guy you are writing about.

• Proud to be American West Jordan, UT
    April 4, 2013 12:43 p.m.

"it's dog eat dog, the bottom line is that winninig is going to win out, every time, unfortunatley"

Are you being serious with this statement? In college and professional sports, I would agree. In high school sports? No way.

Jordan was 17-7 this year, their winningest season in 30 years. They had a 7-3 region record. These facts directly combat your statement, which I believe to be ridiculous.

And we wonder why high school sports are so messed up right now.

• Scandrus Cedar Hills, Utah
    April 4, 2013 10:06 p.m.

When coaches don't win championships and are fired they always point out academics and running a clean program, those things should be a given, winning at a high level is what keeps them employed.

• Uncle Sam West Jordan, UT
    April 5, 2013 2:52 p.m.

Scandrus what you are saying makes a lot of sense to me. So if you are a coach that builds your program around academics, teaching the kids life lessons, and serves the community you should plan on winning some games to keep your job.

Oh wait, Jordan won 17 games this year. That is the most wins in 29 years at the school in basketball. Jordan has not won a state championship in basketball since 1984. Yeah I know they won the state championship in football, but basketball is drawing from kids that live in their boundaries. So you can't really make a comparison there.