Utah

Police shoot, kill Sandy man following I-15 crash

Comments

• AFWife Syracuse, UT
    March 30, 2013 12:35 p.m.

Why do the police need witnesses to contact them if they think they were right to kill the driver? Perhaps they should do their own police work and find what businesses along that route have video surveillance they can ASK to use.

• joy Logan, UT
    March 30, 2013 7:40 p.m.

AFWife they are doing their job, gathering witnesses.
    I pray for this family and all involved. Easter will never be the same for them.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    March 30, 2013 8:24 p.m.

I didn't know the consequence for speeding and not showing amy weapon was to be tazed and shot dead.

Tell me there was NO possible other way this could have ended...

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 30, 2013 8:47 p.m.

LDS Lib- Second guessing the cops may be great fun, with lots of "what if" options to be reflected upon at leisure.

However cops are doing the best they can, as human beings, but with good training usually make the right (and legal- as evaluated by the county attorney) choices. Life and death decisions with only a few seconds to decide are difficult to make. Hesitation can cost a cop or innocent civilian their life.

Anyone who is really unhappy with how cops do their job needs to get off their keyboard and into the ranks of the cops where they can do the flawless job they demand.

• skiddly Herriman , UT
    March 30, 2013 9:29 p.m.

It seems like a lot of these speeding episodes that used to end in a guy taken to jail, are now ending in "shoot first, ask questions later". When did the cops become judge and jury? Seems pretty over the top.

• Nosea Forest Grove, OR
    March 31, 2013 8:11 a.m.

I am more fearful of encounters with law enforcement than I am of comfronting any criminal--it seems that more citizens are dying at the end of police gunfire, often over very trivial matters and no weapons on the citizens, than in actual criminal activity. Something has gone really wrong with law enforcement over my 40 years of witnessing it. From even minor traffic tickets I have gotten, it seems like they are trained to be the enemy to the public, rather than serve the public as they used to do.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    March 31, 2013 8:28 a.m.

Skiddly: Maybe it's a result of everyone now possibly having a gun on their person, and the fact that this gentleman was coming at the officers "aggressively" and tasers didn't work on him and he kept approaching aggressively - and just maybe the fact that the officer just shot in Texas, who only survived by luck and a bullet-proof vest, who was making a simple traffic stop, and it happened to be the fugitive from here in Colorado who murdered a prison chief and then shot this police officer 3 times before he could pull his own gun. Maybe that's why!

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    March 31, 2013 8:48 a.m.

I do not think the police intended to shoot this guy. BUT if you chase a guy and try to stop him for nearly an hour doing over 100 mph which is like driving a legal weapon at those speeds and he does not stop. Then he crashes and comes at you and you ask him to hault and he does not, and then you taser him and he does not, I would assume he will not stop at any cost. Who knows if he has a gun or a knife. I think it matters not now. So what do people want? The cops to then risk their life and family for a guy who is obviously gone off the deep end? I think most of us would have done the same thing. Too bad his family has to suffer for his actions but I think the police (based on the info given) did the right thing. Too bad he had to die. My question is why did not one let alone 2 tasers not stop him?

Sad story and God Bless his family. And it is not easy for the policeman that shot him either.

• K Mchenry, IL
    March 31, 2013 12:22 p.m.

It was that he approached officers in a threatening way after nearly killing scores of people with his car.