Brad Rock: Ziggy or Star? NFL scout makes the call

Comments

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    March 28, 2013 10:12 p.m.

“These kids would be the two most talented kids on USC’s defense,” the scout said. “On a lot of teams, really. They’re the real deal. They’re better than anyone at Texas, better than anyone at Oklahoma, better than anyone in the Big 12.”

Love that quote! I don't really care who goes higher, I just want both of them to do really well in the NFL and be safe. Listened to both of them on video and they both seem like great guys outside of their athletic ability. Good luck to both of them!

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    March 29, 2013 12:11 a.m.

Both of them qualify as a certain "comment lurking whinner's" Sunday School Boy. Nice young men with Sunday school qualities. Seems the cream does rise to the top.

• Go Utes! Springville, UT
    March 29, 2013 6:34 a.m.

I loved watching Ziggy play, what a talent. But Star has proven himself just a little bit more. I am not by any means an expert but it seems that teams do not draft a project player like Ziggy in the top 10, it is just to risky, to much money to stake on potential. spots in the top 10 are for guys like Star who can come in am be a starter and every down player right off the bat. it will take Ziggy a season or two to really hit his stride i could see him going in the middle of the first round and being a huge success in a few seasons with some training under his belt.

• Sandyclaws Salt Lake City, UT
    March 29, 2013 8:05 a.m.

The experts seem to be projecting Ziggy in the first 5, not getting past Detroit at #5. Star somewhere in the top half of the first round. Best wishes to both of them.

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    March 29, 2013 9:01 a.m.

I liked the quote by the scout saying they would be the best on USC's defense and all of the Big 12. Especially the Big 12 part. I just think it's funny he said USC because I mean, did he see their defense last year? :P not ragging on Ziggy or Star in anyway! just think the quote is funny. Go Star! Go Ziggy! Go COUGARS!

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    March 29, 2013 9:26 a.m.

Comparing Star with Ziggy is like comparing apples to oranges. Sure, they both play defense, but their positions are completely different. This article is kinda goofy. Why don't they compare similar positioned players? It would be like comparing Ty Detmer to Steve Smith, both terrific athletes, but different positions. I wish both players health, safety, and peace in this life.

Go UTES!!

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    March 29, 2013 9:41 a.m.

Ziggy is very raw, but his work ethic, his amazing athleticism and his desire is going to give him what he needs to make it big in the NFL. I am excited to see who he is going to play for, and to watch his career in the NFL. As for Star he is going to be great too, I just wish he would have stuck with his original commitment to BYU. As good as BYU's defense was last year, just imagine if Star was on that defense. It would have been the best in the nation. Good luck to both players.

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 29, 2013 10:11 a.m.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    March 29, 2013 10:29 a.m.

Good luck to both players.

• Irrelevant Provo, UT
    March 29, 2013 10:45 a.m.

@Go Utes!

"I am not by any means an expert but it seems that teams do not draft a project player like Ziggy in the top 10, it is just to risky, to much money to stake on potential. spots in the top 10 are for guys like Star who can come in am be a starter and every down player right off the bat."

interesting, the thing about the draft is you never know what kind of kid you're going to get. I remember a kid going number 1 in 2005, he had a lot of hype and everyone thought he was the real deal. As destiny would play out a certain man named Aaron Rodgers, taken number 24, would prove to be a much better player than this number 1 kid.

All I'm saying is ya its a gamble spending millions on a kid with just potential, but sometimes the risk is worth the reward. Both of these men will do great things in the NFL if they work hard and keep their feet on the ground.

What ever happened to the prized Glenn Dorsey from LSU? wasn't he projected to be a pro bowl kid right away?

• Go Utes! Springville, UT
    March 29, 2013 11:47 a.m.

Irrelevant:

Thank you for proving my point; Alex was drafted to start right away, there were growing pains due to the flux in San Francisco's organization and poor offensive line play but in the end Alex did just fine, he helped bring the 9ers back to relevance. Aaron didn't play for several seasons after being drafted, He was mentored by Favre in a solid organization and he came in when he was needed. I can guarantee that if Rodgers was taken by SF in 2005 he would not have been any more successful than Alex was.

Let me restate my point. the top 10 spots are generally reserved for immediate starters, players that are more polished and more NFL ready. Ziggy, while he has a huge plus side is not an every down player right now. Star is but his heart condition is probably enough to make his stock drop to the 10-20 range, which is where i think ziggy will end up as well.

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    March 29, 2013 11:55 a.m.

@Irrelevant

Good point in comparing Rodgers and Smith, the #24 vs #1 pick. Of course it's a little more complex as Rodgers was drafted by an excellent team and learned behind Brett Favre until ready to step in and start. Smith was drafted by a terrible team with many pieces missing and had a different OC every year. I'm sure Rodgers would have struggled too as a 49er.

In the 2011 NBA draft the Kings picked two point guards, one with the 10th pick and another with the 60th pick. We all know which player ended up being the better NBA point guard as they continue to play for the same coach, with the same teammates in the same organization.

Good luck to both of these young men.

• news j Salt Lake City, UT
    March 29, 2013 7:13 p.m.

They are both great success stories and both will become excellent NFL players. Good luck to both of them. I predict two top ten picks.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    March 29, 2013 8:59 p.m.

@GoUtes
    "But Star has proven himself just a little bit more"

Problem is that Star has proven some things that the NFL doesn't like, for example his penchant for taking plays off and not always giving his all. That is something the scouts love about Ziggy and they've commented on his motor quite often.

it will really come down to team need and who's picking but I suspect Ziggy's upside will be just too hard to pass up. Guys like Star come along every draft and a team doesn't need to waste a high first round pick to get a good NT.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    March 29, 2013 9:01 p.m.

Predicting the draft is a whole like predicting individual games or entire seasons. It's basically a very efficient way of making yourself look silly. All we know for sure is that both players are incredibly good at what they do and draw a lot of interest from scouts. Star is what we expected him to be coming out of high school, Ziggy caught everyone by surprise. Star could to #1 or could fall to mid-first-round. Ziggy might go at #5 or fall to the second round. Who knows? I doubt the team that drafts each knows today and probably won't decide for sure until mid April.

I haven't hear whether Star has been invited to New York for draft day. Does anybody know?

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    March 30, 2013 11:44 a.m.

Re: elkute "It seems that STAR hit some flat spots in the last year or so, while Ziggy has been up and coming since he walked into bronco's office. I see Ziggy going in the top 10 and STAR in the top 20. Go Utes."

Perhaps the level of competition had something to do with that. Going up against the likes of USC's offensive line is not quite the same as NM State's.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 1, 2013 9:43 a.m.

@imacaman

You guys sure have a lot of excuses. Keep giving them to us I suppose.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 1, 2013 4:14 p.m.

Duck is right. Nothing but excuses except I guess for scoreboard when they play us.

• Proud Ute ,
    April 1, 2013 4:54 p.m.

Duckhunter

Highland, UT

You guys sure have a lot of excuses. Keep giving them to us I suppose.

Who's "You guys" and who's "us"? here?
    Seems both red and blue are cheering the young men on with civility.
    Does that really get your knickers in a knot?
    Here's your tissue......

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 1, 2013 7:48 p.m.

@proud ute

I wish him well also, but it was one of your fellow utah "fans" that tried to make excuses for his performance claiming if star had lesser perfomrance it was because he faced "better" competition. In otherwords he was making excuses. I enjoy utah "fan" excuses and hypocrisy, it is fun stuff.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 2, 2013 11:12 a.m.

@imacanman

It doesn't appear that the scouts are all that concerned with who each player played against, only excuse making utah "fans" like yourself seem to think that is smoe kind of an issue.

LOL!