Dick Harmon: Matt Carlino leads BYU bomb attack on Mercer in second round of NIT

Comments

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    March 25, 2013 11:01 p.m.

9 assists and 6 1/2 rebounds. I like those stats better than the points from 3's. And he is a master passer in the transition game. When he is dishing it out well, good things happen. You can bet he won't be underestimated next game.
    Haws had his usual productive offensive performance. I still say if he were more patient, and let the game come to him more he would be even more productive and valuable to the team. Overall, though, I thought the team passed the ball really well tonight which resulted in high percentage shots.
    The game was officiated pretty tight, also, which favors BYU. Is it my imagination or is the officiating really different outside the WCC?

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    March 25, 2013 11:02 p.m.

Congratulations BYU on a great team performance - all of the starters were impressive. When Matt is playing well, the whole team seems to play well.

Good luck in Mississippi on Wednesday!

• MarkMAN West Columbia, TX
    March 26, 2013 6:02 a.m.

So very nice to see BYU win and finally play like they could. Too bad that SR wasn't around this year. That make the big difference third scorer not lose more than 3 or 4 games go deep into the NCAA tourney player would have been with them all year. Sometimes just having one more consist player can make the huge difference.

Mark

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    March 26, 2013 7:44 a.m.

Beautiful, just beautiful! Wish they played like that the whole season, especially during the WCC tournament but I'm glad to see them finally putting it together. It is so fun to watch them now and I hope they'll continue to roll. Yes, it's not the NCAA but they don't seem to mind and we sure don't either. They're having so much fun and that's all that matters.

Go Cougars!

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    March 26, 2013 8:59 a.m.

This tournament has really been fun to attend. Thanks BYU for only chargin $10 per ticket anywhere in the MC (except courtside).

Carlino has the ability to make the long pass that surprises the defense when it is hauled in for a layup. Maybe Bronco could use him.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    March 26, 2013 9:50 a.m.

Good article that I agree with. I guess the issue I have with Mr. Harmon is the timing of his critical analysis: "Carlino’s wandered around this season as a mystery man for Rose. Some nights he’s on fire. Some nights he’s been missing in action. He’s played in streaks, putting on heroic performances and then disappearing." This is a correct statement, but why don't we read this type of analysis during the season? Looks like there's a tendency to pile-on after the fact. Regardless, let's hope Carlino keeps rubbing that rabbit's foot because it's working!

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    March 26, 2013 10:56 a.m.

Re the WCC officiating, I agree that they really allow rough play. The NIT refs were calling fouls and it made for a cleaner game. As for Carlino, he's a sophomore, as is Haws. We'll miss Davies, but those two guys are only going to get better.