Cougar nation rejoices in NIT second round win, roasts TV announcer Bill Walton

Comments

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 25, 2013 7:13 p.m.

Game is on ESPN 3, not ESPN

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    March 25, 2013 9:20 p.m.

Not a surprise. BYU is a much better home team.

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    March 25, 2013 9:17 p.m.

actually it was on espn news on tv and espn 3 on the internet

• higv Dietrich, ID
    March 25, 2013 9:29 p.m.

I only seen 2nd half, Bill Walton promoted BYU and the State of Utah. Didn't seem to say much about game at hand though.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    March 25, 2013 9:33 p.m.

Congratulations BYU on another great NIT win - BYU is now 8-0 all time in NIT home games!

Good luck Wednesday!

Go Cougars!

• TonyaLee TUCSON, AZ
    March 25, 2013 9:38 p.m.

Is this game going to be rebroadcast? I don't get ESPNNews, so couldn't record it.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 25, 2013 9:44 p.m.

When Carlino plays like this, BYU is a different team. Congrats on another great win. BYU the only WCC team still playing - who'd of guessed it.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    March 25, 2013 9:46 p.m.

Awesome game - makes one wonder why BYU looked so horrid for the last quarter of the season.

Did you notice during all of Bill Walton's praise of everything related to the state of Utah, BYU and Utah County, that he mentioned how Jimmer "stars" on the Sacramento Kings. Considering Walton's understated style of commentary, and strict avoidance of hyperbole, that should quiet all the Jimmer naysayers.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    March 25, 2013 9:48 p.m.

BYUTV will broadcast it at 10 if you get that station. Probably with different broadcasters though. Walton talked good about Utah and BYU had some add though probably didn't talk much about game at hand.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    March 25, 2013 9:51 p.m.

TonyaLee

The BYU-Mercer game is being rebroadcast on BYUtv at 10pm MDT according to the BYUtv website.

• lloyd braun ogden, utah
    March 25, 2013 9:59 p.m.

Coug Fan In TX
    I'm not sure what your post means, but they're in the NIT, not the NCAA. That's maybe why they're still playing. Weber St. is also still playing, but I'm not flaunting that about. Good for BYU to win at home in the cozy confines of the Marriott Ctr. Let's not get too carried away comparing them to the other WCC teams. BYU got 3rd. Gonzaga and St. Mary's were better teams as proven by beating the Cougs twice.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    March 25, 2013 10:06 p.m.

Southern Miss beat La Tech 63-52.

BYU plays NIT quarter-final game in Hattiesburg on Wednesday.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    March 25, 2013 10:39 p.m.

That was the most complete game BYU has played this season. 21 assists, only 8 turnovers (2 during garbage time) and balanced scoring. For the most part they played like a team. It really is true--as Carlino goes, so goes the team.

Mercer is no slouch. They are a very good shooting team. they came out the 2nd half hot as a pistol, but the Cougs fended off their runs, finishing strong. That was a fun game to watch. Both teams played well.

As nice as Bill Walton was to BYU and the State of Utah, he still gives me a headache. The guy just can't shut up.

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    March 25, 2013 10:59 p.m.

After watching all 3 Pac-12 tourney games listening to Bill Walton, I was so happy to listen to him broadcast the BYU game tonight. NOT!!!

Listening to that guy makes my ears bleed.

• cal cougar camarillo, CA
    March 25, 2013 11:01 p.m.

It was nice to see such few turnovers and such a rebound advantage. That was key to the game. It took what would have been a close game and made it a blow out. Great job. Keep up the good work in Mississippi( I learned how to spell that in grade school really fast).

• EastCoastView Spartanburg, SC
    March 26, 2013 12:05 a.m.

BlueCoug:
    I like your enthusiasm, but unfortunately we are not undefeated in all our home NIT games we have ever played. I was there in 1982 when we lost to Univ of Washington. (Nice to finally get pay back.)

• joseywales Park City, UT
    March 26, 2013 12:27 a.m.

Walton is tough to listen to, but Clark Kellogg is worse for me. He knows his stuff no doubt, yet he talks to hard, it's like he is forcing his words out. Nantz talks calm and smooth and then comes Kellogg with his garble. Yikes!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    March 26, 2013 8:11 a.m.

If I wasn't a Cougar fan, listening to Bill Walton last night would've been very painful to say the least. But since I'm a fan, well, I couldn't stop giggling! He may have gone overboard in his zealous to praise and promote BYU basketball and the state of Utah but it was still music to my ears to hear such praise. It's not often that BYU get such glaring praise on national tv. Granted some obviously were annoyed but that's too bad.

As for the team, I'm just happy as a lark to see them come together finally, especially Carlino. That kid is truly the key to the team. When he's hot, Davies and Haws don't have to do as much, and good things will always happen. Let's hope they keep on rolling!

Go Cougars!

• agarrett PROVO, UT
    March 26, 2013 10:19 a.m.

@CougFaninTex
    Santa Clara is also still playing aren't they?

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    March 26, 2013 10:56 a.m.

It was fun to see Bill Walton back in the Marriott Center; I'll have to watch the replay to hear what he had to say about the game, but he's always entertaining.

Last time I saw Walton in the MC, he was carving up Weber State on his way to leading UCLA to another NCAA tournament championship.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    March 26, 2013 12:44 p.m.

DSB- "strict avoidance of hyperbole"? Oh my, love your sense of humor. "Hyperbole" is Bill Walton's middle name! Gotta love his enthusiasm, though.

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    March 26, 2013 1:03 p.m.

BYU is playing its best basketball right now. Davies, Carlino, Haws have really stepped it up.
    Zylstra,Austin and Cusick have also contributed. It was an exciting game last night. Southern Miss will be a tough game but they get to play and perhaps they can win. It is certainly the way to finish the season after the horrible performance in the WCC tourney.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    March 26, 2013 4:05 p.m.

BYU could do well with an undersized Soutthern Miss. team. I watched their game and they are good but very beatable. If BYU can run the floor and control the boards I give it to BYU.

• Billy Budd Saint George, UT
    March 26, 2013 7:51 p.m.

I watched the replay. I turned the sound off. Not as good as listening to and watching the play by play, but much better than listening to Walton bloviate.