BYU basketball to host Mercer Monday

Comments

• HP in Georgia Atlanta, GA
    March 20, 2013 10:07 p.m.

My wife and I are graduates of Mercer University, and our daughter went to BYU. Naturally, we all are excited about the Monday matchup.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    March 20, 2013 10:18 p.m.

FHE at the Marriott Center Monday night!

Go Cougs!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    March 21, 2013 12:07 a.m.

BYU is going to blow that poor little team out of the water.

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    March 21, 2013 7:23 a.m.

This is where it end's

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    March 21, 2013 7:35 a.m.

I watched part of the Mercer versus Tennessee game and Mercer is for real! Not saying BYU can not beat them but BYU will need to play like they did against UW to do it. Of course beating a Pac12 team is not that hard.

• bribri86 Phoenix, AZ
    March 21, 2013 7:37 a.m.

Two For Flinching

Mercer beat Tennessee...I wouldn't put a notch in the win column for BYU just yet. Remember San Diego? Remember San Francisco? I hope BYU wins, but as inconsistent as they have been this year, I'm not chalking up an automatic win against anyone.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    March 21, 2013 7:56 a.m.

A wolf in sheeps clothing. BYU BEWARE! Do not look past these guys.

BYU Nation now is the time to show support and fill the Marriott Center. If we have less than 18000 I will be diapointed. Should be sold out. Take the Family for a FHE of a lifetime. Does not happen too often. We have the fan base and I know for a fact there is NOTHING going on that night other than FHE. So Students and Fans now is the time to RISE and SHOUT!!!! I wish I could be there. If there are some really cheap flights count me in.

GO Cougs!

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    March 21, 2013 8:18 a.m.

Mercer is for real so BYU would be wise not to overlook them; they beat Utah State in a post season tournament in the Spectrum last season.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    March 21, 2013 8:18 a.m.

Mercer has a dang good team; should be a good game. Good for BYU to be playing post season ball. Oh, and GO GONZAGA!

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    March 21, 2013 8:26 a.m.

I watched the Mercer/Tennessee game almost in it's entirety. I was very impressed by Mercer's play. It was smart and patient. The teams will match up well. I think the advantage for BYU will be that Mercer has to travel, mercer will have less rest between games, 4700 feet elevation and a large (hope for 22000) BYU crowd.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 21, 2013 8:55 a.m.

Butler has proven that non-power conferences schools can make it to the championship. Congrats Mercer on beating Tennessee. Congrats BYU on beating Washington. Kentucky falls. Florida St falls. Maryland falls.

I have not watched Mercer play, but looking at their players, games and stats; this is a scary match-up. I hope we pack the Marriott, but for those of us outside of Utah, it's great having the game on ESPN.

Go Cougs!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    March 21, 2013 9:00 a.m.

@bribri86,

I don't think TFF is a true BYU fan. I think he's one of those trolls who thrives on making outrageous comments just to stir up hate and ridicule. If he is a fan, then he's exactly the reason why BYU is constantly being hated, ridiculed, and portrayed as arrogant.

I saw the Mercer/Tennessee game and I wouldn't say BYU will blow them out. BYU better bring out their A game or it's going to be a long night. Mercer is that good!

Go Cougars!

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    March 21, 2013 9:23 a.m.

CougFaninTX

"More non-power conference schools in post season play, and more non-power conference teams beating the "big six" conferences. Is it time to get rid of the term "power conference" in basketball?"

Not just for basketball, it's time to get rid of the term "power conference" for all sports.

2012-13 Learfield Sports Directors' Cup Division I Winter Standings
    As of March 21, 2013

#24 BYU
    #71 Utah

Just sayin'

• RR_Xing San Diego, CA
    March 21, 2013 9:49 a.m.

Mercer won at the Spectrum last year over Utah State; the Marriott Center is a tough place to play as the visiting team, but I'll bet Mercer is pumped about the chance to play spoiler again.

• Veracruz Brentwood, CA
    March 21, 2013 10:40 a.m.

@HP in Georgia--
    Wow! What a connection. Who are you pulling for?

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    March 21, 2013 10:59 a.m.

It was time to do away with the term power conferences a decade ago... At the very least the Pac-12 is not included in that discussion because their last championship came in 1997... That is 16 years ago and this year won't change it... 17 years and do I hear 20? I do indeed... It will be at least 2018 before the Pac-12 even dreams of winning another basketball championship on the men's side of things. :) Basketball is not a 'major' contributor to the false claim of Conference of Champions... UCLA had a good run in the 60's and other than that it was one here and one there and that about sums up their NCAA basketball success! So, football and basketball are not where they are best at... I don't know when that will change. Probably not for as long as presently constituted... I don't know what all the hoopla is about membership there!

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    March 21, 2013 11:05 a.m.

Hope Haws and Davies can bring their A games, and that someone else like Zylstra or Carlino steps up again. BYU could be very surprised in this one...

• sls Columbia, MO
    March 21, 2013 3:52 p.m.

• oldtimeftballer Salt Lake City, UT
    March 21, 2013 5:14 p.m.

re : True Blue

I wouldn't brag about anything that says I am #24 in something.

I am a BYU fan and think thats silly. We arent in the Top 20 of hte Cup and have ZERO points in the Winter period, but we are better than you Utah.

That attitude is what makes people think BYU fans are idiots. Just sayin.

• slcftball Salt Lake City, UT
    March 21, 2013 5:20 p.m.

re: Jke 2010

understand trying to knock something we arent a part of. But I am sick of dumb fans giving us BYU fans a bad name. PAC 12 a bad conference? Utah will be a bottom tier team there with the occasional flare up, but cmon.

Nicknamed the "Conference of Champions," the Pac-12 has won more NCAA National Team Championships than any other conference in history; the three schools with the most NCAA team championships belong to the Pac-12 (UCLA, Stanford and USC, in that order). With Arizona State's softball title in 2011, the conference won its 400th NCAA Championship.

400 Jake.

• Y's little brother Sandy, UT
    March 21, 2013 5:49 p.m.

otfbr

"...[the Cougars] have ZERO points in the Winter period, but we are better than you Utah."

That's not even debatable.

Utah had ZERO points during the Fall period and since the Cup is a cumulative award, BYU holds a substantial overall lead in the 2012-13 Director's Cup standings:

#24 BYU - 255.5 points
    #71 Utah - 121.5 points

Now who looks foolish?

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 21, 2013 6:33 p.m.

@oldtimeftballer

I rub shoulders with many BYU fans just like you and thebigsamoan. It's my opinion that you guys represent 99.99 percent of the BYU fans. The back and forth on the comment boards is fun but it's nice to have a down to earth comment once in a while. That said...You know...Go Utes.

• OCoug Ogden, UT
    March 21, 2013 6:45 p.m.

Looking forward to the match-up. Didn't watch the game, so I'm curious if Mercer has quick aggressive guards? If they do the Y tends to have problems with teams like that. Either way its nice for the players to get another game and gain more experience.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    March 21, 2013 11:13 p.m.

@ thebigsamoan

You are mistaken. I am a fan of Utah, and I am not trying to stir up controversy. My honest opinion is that BYU will easily handle Mercer.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    March 22, 2013 8:00 a.m.

@ TFF,

My apologies! I stand corrected, yet I still question that BYU will have an easy time against Mercer. They are indeed very good, and I hope BYU won't underestimate them. Anyhow, here's hoping you are right. I'd love to see the Cougars advance in their tournament.

@ sls,

"It was disappointing that Tennessee didn't win the first round game with Mercer. It would have been much more exciting to bring an SEC team to the Marriott Center, since they are all afraid to come to Provo during the regular season. Has anyone heard of Mercer outside of Georgia?"

I understand your sentiment, but if Tennessee had won, the game would've been at their place, not the Marriott.

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    March 22, 2013 8:41 a.m.

thebigsamoan

Tennessee is hosting the Women's NCAA Tournament first and second rounds, so even if Tennessee had won, the game would still have been played in the Marriott Center.

Mercer doesn't have the name, but I do believe they'll be a tougher matchup than Tennessee would have been.

• Swishfrom3 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 22, 2013 9:29 a.m.

I agree w old timer

I think Jake is saying the Pac12 isn't good in basketball and football. He is digging for something. Yea, Oregon and Stanford finishing in the Top 5 is horrible. Stanford and Oregon aging inn4 straight BCS bowls is awful. Utah that BYU didn't beat last year got run over in the PAC12. BYU would be worse than Utah in the PAC12.

As a BYU fan, I see us sliding more to the middle as a non factor in any sport. Utah is already there. BYU can't even make the nCAA tourney, and has never even sniffed the great 8 in 30 years, yet alone no prayer of a Final 4. And a BCS bowl will never happen playing Idaho State.

We are a mediocre program in football and bball and I just need to face that fact and change my attitude.

• youtefan Bountiful, UT
    March 22, 2013 10:37 a.m.

Our PAC 12 teams all cane out on top yesterday! Strong first round showing!! Now I'm just say'n

• WisCoug MOUNT HOREB, WI
    March 22, 2013 11:52 a.m.

To those saying you watched the game and think Mercer is for real, I also watched the game and must assume their winning has hidden their weaknesse from your memory.

Mercer is not a goo rebounding team. There were a couple of possessions where Mercer allowed Tennessee to collect multiple offensive rebounds (one with 3 or 4). In the end Tennessee gathered 19 offensive rebounds and outrebounded Mercer 40 to 29.

Additionally, Tennessee turned the ball over 11 times while Mercer only collected 1 steal. More about Tennessee's carelessness with the ball than Mercer's stellar D.

Two players for Mercer fouled out including their tallest contributing player (in 19 minutes). Do that again and Davies will go off.

BYU is not good enough this year to just show up and beat anyone this year (ask them about San Diego), but I definitely expect the elevation to play a factor. In Mercer's only other game at elevation (against Denver in December) they got beat by nearly 30 points while managing only 40 (on 35% shooting). I think you have to expect BYU to win, but they certainly can't afford to look ahead.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    March 22, 2013 1:42 p.m.

Swishfrom3

Gotta love all of these supposed "BYU fans" who suddenly appear on this blog, identify themselves as a "BYU fan," and then immediately start hating on BYU, while curiously using the exact same "talking points" that the usual suspects have been using for years.

Do these BYU-hating Utah trolls really think they're fooling anybody?

The truth is, they're bitterly jealous that an off year for BYU is still MUCH better than anything Utah has done since long before the Utes joined the PAC.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    March 22, 2013 3:16 p.m.

WisCoug: Now that you mention those weaknesses, especially the rebounding, I remember those problems with Mercer. I think that the Cougs have an advantage because of those things I note in my post -- including elevation, but I didn't want anyone blowing off Mercer. I was impressed by the Bears ability to get the ball inside and they had 16 assists -- 7 from their guard.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    March 22, 2013 7:26 p.m.

The only games BYU's next opponent, Mercer, has lost to since January were two games to Florida Gulf Coast, 60-57 and 88-75. If you don't already know who FGCU is, check out their latest victim - #2 seed Georgetown; FGCU also beat #2 seed Miami earlier this season.

• Swishfrom3 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 22, 2013 7:44 p.m.

What makes u think I am a Utah fan? I said they are mediocre and they got run over in the PAC.

And Utah will be lucky to make a bowl again this year

That being said, someone please probe to me that bYU isn't a mediocre program in BBall and football...

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    March 22, 2013 8:00 p.m.

@Scott Farkus
    "This is where it end's"

Did you know the bully's name in the movie "Christmas Story" was Scut not Scott? Just thought you'd like to know.

As for the game on Monday, I agree that Mercer is going to be a dangerous opponent. They have a lot of confidence and we don't play with a lot of effort or energy very consistently. I hope every player that showed up last game decides to show up again Monday, also it would be nice if the bench showed up as well!

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    March 22, 2013 11:13 p.m.

Swishfrom3

"What makes u think I am a Utah fan?"

Despite your lame attempts to appear otherwise, it's blatantly obvious.

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    March 23, 2013 3:40 a.m.

youtefan
    Bountiful, UT your comment about none of the pac12 teams losing is not exactly true UCLA got beat by 20 points by a lower ram=nked team and Colorado also got beat so i suggest you really find out the facts before you post untruths.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    March 23, 2013 9:20 a.m.

"The only games BYU's next opponent, Mercer, has lost to since January were two games to Florida Gulf Coast, 60-57 and 88-75"

In January, they lost to 3-win Kennesaw State, 14-win Jacksonville State, and 11-win Northern Kentucky - all road losses. FGC and Mercer were the only two teams in their conference with winning seasons.

I saw the game vs. Tennessee, and Tennessee did not want to be there. They had no fan support and it was so quiet there. Tennessee's defense was not good. They looked like they had no interest in the game. Mercer is good, but BYU is a far better transition team and I think BYU will beat them. There were a lot of Mercer fans there as the two schools were not far from each other. Mercer doesn't know this BYU team like they knew Tennessee. You won't see the same game vs. BYU. Fans will show up and the environment will be challenging for Mercer this time.