NCAA tournament: David Stockton returns to the arena where his father was an NBA legend

Comments

• Meadow Lark Mark IDAHO FALLS, ID
    March 20, 2013 7:02 p.m.

I think David looks a lot like his father. I wish him the best of luck in the NCAA.

• Nuschler SAN MARCOS, CA
    March 20, 2013 7:35 p.m.

Great article about one of the area's legends, but what does the author's reference to Gonzaga as a "non-BCS conference" school have to do with basketball?

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    March 20, 2013 8:21 p.m.

John and his wife will be watching this time. BCSis for college football and it will end after this year. Good luck ZAGS.

• fever30 Bountiful, UT
    March 20, 2013 8:42 p.m.

Any Stockton will always be warmly welcomed back to Utah

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 20, 2013 9:02 p.m.

Sounds like a hard working guy who demands much of himself, and expects no favoritism.

I am not a big basketball fan, but I am a huge fan of John, and now David, Stockton for being great people and role models.

Good luck, and thanks for the memories!

• Herby Hurricane, UT
    March 20, 2013 11:22 p.m.

BCS is for football, not basketball.

• Barney Google Beaver, UT
    March 21, 2013 7:29 a.m.

Stockton the last of NBA class

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 21, 2013 8:07 a.m.

"And to return to the place where the legend performed his mastery of the game for nearly 20 years only adds to it."

Michael, the Delta Center opened in 1991, and Stockton retired in 2003. Hardly near 20 years.

"BCSis for college football and it will end after this year."

Yes, the common term in basketball is a Power 6 conference, and it is significant when a team outside of those 6 conferences gets a 1-seed. And while the format of the BCS in football will change after this year, the inclusion of those conferences in the format will not change.

• ericNorCal San Jose, CA
    March 21, 2013 9:24 a.m.

David's Aunt or John's Sister-in-law who is a nurse-mid wife helped to deliver 2 of our babies is Los Gatos, CA. Our baby born on election day Nov 5th 2002, David's Grandpa was terr.Gov of Alaska, Mitt Romney won on the same day. My laboring wife still will not forgive me for talking Jazz basketball all night with the nurse until the baby came. She is a big fan too. She has a Jazz flag out front and a baby boy cartoon of two Jazz players a #12 and a #32 in here office autographed. No sorry, that was the first baby who came out posterior so we had more time to talk Jazz basketball. I keep telling the nurse I hoped that her brother-in-law retired that year. He did, there's so much more than basketball. It is about the family and John Stockton had that position covered too. We had a son and I wanted to called him Stockton my wife said NO, I said ok, because it is all about the family. We have 4 kids but the last two came with a Stockton family assist...

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    March 21, 2013 9:36 a.m.

Good luck David. It is nice to see the son of a star who is a well-rounded person and working hard for they achieve, and not have an entitlement mentality. I wouldn't expect anything less from John and his wife.

• Little Andy Tremonton, UT
    March 21, 2013 7:37 p.m.

I think it is hard for any famous persons kids. Kids may look a little like him and have a few of his traits, but there will never be another John Stockton..

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    March 24, 2013 1:55 p.m.

I love to see cougie fan's get so emotional when the BCS is mentioned. Hate to break it to you but BCS is referenced all the time in basketball. Even after next season when the 4 team playoff starts for football. The BCS conf. will still be referenced to all the time and will always come into play for the few major bowls oustide the 4 team playoff.