Utah Utes football: Star Lotulelei's NFL career path appears back on track

Comments

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2013 2:26 p.m.

Star is an animal.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 20, 2013 2:55 p.m.

I just don't get it. Why not give full credit - Star did "over 30" reps. True. But how many others did over 30? I would venture - many. But Star did 38. That tied for the most number of reps by any (?) defensive lineman (?) at the combines! Quite a difference in reporting! Also Dunn did a sub 4.4 in the forty. True. But again how many did that. Although I have not seen a definitive time - the times I have seen (in the 4.1+ second range) are among the fastest in the nation for draft prospects.

Way to go to minimize their accomplishments!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2013 3:14 p.m.

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    March 20, 2013 3:13 p.m.

As a BYU fan, I can't wait to see Star tear up the NFL. Good Luck Star!!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2013 3:19 p.m.

With another #1 draft pick, several more guys drafted, this will take the number of guys recruited by Whittingham and drafted over 20.

Gary Anderson had a 1 or 2.

Bronco 0.

That's right. Bronco has yet to RECRUIT and have DRAFTED a single guy.

Whittingham has over 20.
    Saban has over 20.
    Les Miles has over 20.
    Steve Spurrier has over 20.
    Chris Peterson has over 20.
    Bronco? 0

The future of football in Utah,

Is UTAH.

Go make those tens of millions Star!

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    March 20, 2013 4:09 p.m.

Chris B

You amaze me. Why do you even feel the need to mention BYU on a ute article?! Are you that insecure? If you really had moved on you wouldn't even mention us. I've asked this before but you never answer. Why the hatred towards us?

Anyways good luck Star! I will be rooting for you! Good luck to all the utes trying hard to make it. Doesn't matter you recruited you! Go Utes! Go Aggies! Go COUGARS!!!!

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    March 20, 2013 4:57 p.m.

Chris B, what are you using as your defintion of "drafted by"?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2013 6:17 p.m.

Wookie,

I re-read my post an I don't see where I said "drafted by". So I would love to respond but you will have to make sense first.

I would argue part of a good coaches job is to recruit kids and help them get drafted. I am simply pointing out that whittingam has a great record at recruiting kids and developing them to the point they get drafted. Gary Anderson did the best with the little time he had obviously. Just reminding byu fans their coach has yet to have a single kid he has recruited been drafted.

Again, please show me where I said "drafted by" an I would love to respond.

Go get that money star!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 20, 2013 7:14 p.m.

Chris B

With all of this talent why did the Utes stay home for the holidays?

Is getting these guys to the NFL more important than winning college games?

• TFUDD SLC, UT
    March 20, 2013 7:19 p.m.

@Chris

As a Utah fan i think you are just embarrassing the Utah program and us as Utah fans. Take your negativity elsewhere

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 20, 2013 8:34 p.m.

Best of everything to STAR and all of the Utes in the draft.

Chris, keep doing what you do. I've got your back.

Go Utes!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    March 21, 2013 12:08 a.m.

I love Star, BOTH on-AND-off the field....He deserves everything positive coming his way, everything.

To byu fan talking bowl games, check it out--

UTAH missing their 1st bowl game since '02 says alot about what level our program is on--1st bowl game missed since '02--WOW....In this current BCS Era ['98-Current], UTAH and byu both have reached 11 bowl games....However, while byu is a staggering 6-5, UTAH has struggled to achieve a 10-1 mark, including 2 BCS Bowl Games and 2 resounding BCS Bowl Game victories, Top-2/-4 finishes, 2 undefeated seasons, brutally curb-stomping byu multiple-years, BCS-Status, etc.

Remember the following--3 straight, 4 of 5, 8 of 11 and the overall record by a landslide, 56-34-4=Owned.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    March 21, 2013 8:14 a.m.

Star is the Man. What a great player, and a great person. How 'bout a 4.2 by Reggie Dunn? Holly Cow that's moving. I hope the best to all the Utes moving to the NFL. Something tells me this years class will do just fine.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 21, 2013 9:39 a.m.

If star's heart is truly fine then he will be a stud in the NFL. He is so big and strong that he is going to demand double teams for the next 10 years. Hopefully it works out for him and his health allows it.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    March 21, 2013 11:23 a.m.

Article quote: "All-America return specialist Reggie Dunn headlined a group of 22 former Utes participating in Pro Day. He ran a personal-best 4.22 in the 40."

A 4.22?

Now THAT is SMOKIN' in anyone's book!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 21, 2013 12:04 p.m.

@BleedCougarBlue

No chance he ran those times for real, hand held times are not accurate. I'm sure he ran great times but no chance he ran 4.2's

• fender Washington, UT
    March 21, 2013 11:05 p.m.

Duckhunter

NFL combines have used electronic timing for a number of years. It involves a hand timed start, but an electronic (laser) recorded finish. That time is typically .01 to .02 faster than an all electronic time. Not perfect, but it does allow for more accurate comparison of the athletes.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    March 21, 2013 11:15 p.m.

@ sammyg

Lack of execution. And no.

@ Duckhunter

Reggie's official times were 4.22 and 4.26. I don't know if he will be drafted, but those are still ridiculous times; hand held or not.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 22, 2013 10:33 a.m.

@fender

This wasn't an NFL combine, it was a pro day at utah and these were hand held times. I believe he ran fast times, I do not believe he ran 4.2's.

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    March 22, 2013 11:29 a.m.

@duckhunter... there is a chance he ran those times for real. It is entirely possible that he is the fastest player in the draft. What about those times make them impossible? I'm not saying those times are 100% accurate, but you can't tell me with a straight face that there is "No chance." Unless you are delusional of course.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 22, 2013 1:21 p.m.

@unreasonableute

Here are the fastest times ever record in the 40 yard dash since the implementation of electronic timing.

Chris Johnson 2008 RB 4.24
    Marquise Goodwin 2013 WR 4.27
    Jerome Mathis 2005 WR 4.28
    Jacoby Ford 2010 WR 4.28
    DeMarcus Van Dyke 2011 CB 4.28
    Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie 2008 CB 4.29
    Stanford Routt 2005 CB 4.29
    Trindon Holliday 2010 WR 4.29
    Fabian Washington 2005 CB 4.29

That is with the benefit of doing it electronically. Dunn's times WERE NOT done electronically, they were done by hand held stop watch. In short I am sure he is very fast but no I do not believe he ran those times for real. Frankly almost no one can run that fast.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    March 25, 2013 9:09 a.m.

AZUTE1

To Utah fans boasting about Utah's "bowl success":

If Utah's bowl teams had really been as successful as you pretend they were, why haven't the Utes managed to crack the AP Poll more than FIVE times during Utah's entire history - your big brother has finished in the AP Top 25 SEVENTEEN times.

Top 25 Finishes during the Bronco/Kyle era
    Bronco - FIVE
    Kyle - three

Top 15 Finishes
    Bronco - THREE
    Kyle - one

Kyle had one great year in 2008 and very little before or since.

It's laughable that a team with one of the projected top picks in the upcoming draft, and with all of those other draft picks that Naval is constantly beating his chest about, couldn't even beat a lowly WAC team to qualify for a bowl.

Losing/bowl-less seasons
    Bronco - NONE
    Kyle - one

Losses to 10-loss teams
    Bronco - none
    Kyle - TWO

With a couple of lucky wins 2010 and 2012, Kyle took a slim 3-5 head-to-head lead, but Kyle trails Bronco in overall wins, in conference championships, in bowl games, and in Top 25 finishes.

• Hegdehog Bountiful, UT
    March 25, 2013 11:15 a.m.

@TFF
    ""Utah's Reggie Dunn impressed scouts by running a personal best 4.22 in the forty."

If that time is official his "personal" best is also an NFL record. Nice job Reggie!"

Since when has any time coming from Utah ever been "official"? Handheld stopwatch times done by a players own school are about as reliable as heights of players listed in the media guide. At Utah 40 times get fudged even worse.

Handheld stopwatch times in the 40 can be off by as much as .27 seconds. This potentially puts Dunn's personal best in the 4.4 range, which is still outstanding.

Utah's major league obsession with 40 times and the need they feel to fudge them in order to feel better about themselves reminds me of playing high school basketball and how badly they fudged the height of players in the media guide trying to appear bigger and taller. I was 6'5 1/4" and yet they listed me 6'7".

That level of insecurity in people makes me laugh, but it's really sad and pathetic when you think about it. Are we going to hear next that Star ran a 4.35 forty?

• Hegdehog Bountiful, UT
    March 25, 2013 11:29 a.m.

@Sammyg
    "With all of this talent why did the Utes stay home for the holidays?

Is getting these guys to the NFL more important than winning college games?"

It's certainly a sign that Kyle is out of his league coaching in the Pac12. When you take a step back and look at the trend since the 2008 season the utes are definitely trending downward.

Most people (except ute fans) predicted Utah would settle in somewhere near the bottom of the Pac12. "Become the next Wash St" was a common prediction I read. It looks to be coming true.

This next season figures to plummet the program even further with Stanford and Oregon on the schedule. Early pre-season forecasts are calling for the utes to finish 3-9 around (give or take a game).

if Kyle's still cranking out NFL talent but can't get them to play competitively it will certainly look like he's in over his head. I wonder how many 3-9 seasons it will take for ute fans to re-assess their feelings whether the move to the Pac12 was a good one after all. BCS Bowls vs last place Pac12 finishes?

• BlueNtheFace Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    March 25, 2013 12:33 p.m.

Wow. Reggie Dunn is the fastest human on earth! 4.22.

He and his agent are also selling ocean-front property in Arizona....

Good luck to Star. He'll tear it up in the draft now that the diagnosis has been downgraded to non-chronic status.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 25, 2013 1:44 p.m.

@Hegdehog

"Are we going to hear next that Star ran a 4.35 forty?"

Almost. naval tried to tell us he ran 4.65 when the truth is he ran about a 5.3, that's only almost a second faster than the truth.

LOL!