Utah

Random drug testing gets preliminary nod from Davis School Board

Comments

• ignoranceisbliss Salt Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2013 11:16 p.m.

Great, the ones who test dirty can become social outcasts and turn to drugs right before they turn sui
    cidal. Great idea.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 20, 2013 7:52 a.m.

Random testing does have some deterrence value, as well as the punitive actions taken against those who test positive.

However, this should not be applied to just athletes, but to all students. AND TEACHERS.

And, while we are busy testing people, every welfare recipient should be tested as well.

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    March 20, 2013 10:05 a.m.

I have a problem with concept of "random" drug testing. Do the terms probable cause or unreasonable search and seizure sound familiar to anyone? Do teenagers have the right to refuse to submit to such intrusions? If I say, as a teenager, "I am not using Drugs or Alcohol on my word of honor" and that is not good enough for school officials to allow me partipate in Sports, why even allow me to go to that school? Because I'm an Athlete and in Student Government I am under suspicion? This brings up the issue of Equal Protection as discussed under the U.S. Constitution. Why don't they also Drug Test the Chess Club or "C" Students?

For an Adult now, do employers have the same right to demand "random" drug tests or as employees we have waived our basic rights for a bi-weekly pay check as a condition of employment?

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    March 20, 2013 11:01 a.m.

IMHO, having the Students sign a contract to allow Random testing is not enforceble. High School are be definition legal minors. Minors cannot legally sign or be bound by these putative "legal" contracts. If there were a cause for school "civil disobedience" this meets the criteria. Therefore, kids I would encourage you to contact the Utah chapter of the ACLU and learn what your rights are. Please remember, Tyranny flourishes when good people look away.

• Dektol Powell, OH
    March 20, 2013 2:36 p.m.

No way, unless you first start random drug testing of School Board members, administration, faculty and staff. Don't single out the Students.

• joseywales Park City, UT
    March 21, 2013 10:50 a.m.

Having been close to two separate incidents, at two different schools, I like the idea of the tests and this is why. At one school, my family and friends kids were part of a team that had several members that were drinking, smoking, and at the very least doing marijuana. It was common knowledge to everyone, even coaches. However, they kept saying that unless the kids turned themselves in, or admitted to using, their "hands were tied" so, these boys were allowed to keep playing. The incident at my kids school went very differently, when brought to the coaches and administrators attention, they felt that witness testimony, especially that of non-teammates, was enough to enter into the first stages of disciplinary actions. I think it was a 5 game suspension for first offense. The kids were told they could be tested, or they could come clean. All but one admitted to using. The one dissenter was actually arrested a week later trying to sell to an undercover. Weird how Karma works...