Utes finish season with four wins in last five games

Comments

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 18, 2013 8:16 p.m.

"Although CBI officials gauged Utah’s interest in participating, Krystkowiak said that no telephone call came after the NCAA and NIT announced their field and things trickled down."

So I stand corrected, and was misinformed. I still would have rather not had Utah participate in the CBI, however. It costs the school more money they'd likely get from ticket sales if they pay for a home game, and better time could be spent in the recruiting field for the coaches and recovering from bumps and bruises and working on individual game by the players.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 18, 2013 11:17 p.m.

"...my sources are personal acquaintances within the athletic department, so no I won't cite specifically who said it."

Gotta love those personal sources, huh?

"It costs the school..." Yeah right...

And here I thought the U was flush with cash from the glorious conference association. To even suggest that the U would turn down such an opportunity when it could gain some much needed media traction is pretty ridiculous. An invite would have been a huge windfall on several fronts, priceless at any cost for the current two years of disappointing results in the PAC10.2

But it didn't happen, and on the BYU story we have all these disgruntled Ute fans or BYU haters returning to knock BYU for being in the NIT. And if the Utes had gotten their 'moral victory' invitation to the CBI or CIT it would somehow have been anointed something greater than BYU.

Are we done yet with the spin?

About the article... I thought Coach K's comments were quite appropriate and honest.

• But seriously folks! Salt Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2013 9:24 a.m.

WOW, to not even receive an invitation the the CBI or CIT? Someone please tell me how this is better than the NIT? I guess membership in the mighty PAC 10.2 is not all it is cracked up to be. Does anyone know how many PAC 10.2 teams did not receive any invitation at all to any post-season tourney?

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 19, 2013 11:32 a.m.

As a Runnin' Ute fan I'm satisfied. The season ended on a high note. Excited about the future of the program.

Lot's of hating and ranting from the tds fans.
    sammyg, I didn't see a single post from you under the byu article, yet you're over here trolling under a Utah article.

Are you guys Jealous? Paranoid? Worried, knowing that your programs are in danger of collapsing if this independence-wcc thing don't work out?

• phantomblade Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 19, 2013 11:57 a.m.

"Utes finish season with four wins in last five games"

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2013 12:18 p.m.

Great ending to the season. There is definately a lot of things to look forward to for the U. I think the venom and spite from BYU fans speaks for itself and is probably the best evidence that the U is on the way back from a historical low quicker than expected.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2013 12:48 p.m.

Utah had a strong finish to a season that had them projected to finish dead last in conference play. Of course it would have been nice to win a few more games that's what you play for but realistically, the Utes exceeded most expectations.

I'm looking forward to the next few years to Utah basketball as I believe coach K and his staff have the program headed in the right direction. I think next season might be a little better than this one, but hopefully within two years he can get the Utes back into the NCAA tournament.

This team never gave up and played some of their best basketball against the toughest teams in the league. The future looks bright up on the hill.

Go Utes!

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    March 19, 2013 1:02 p.m.

Phantom blade
    "Or, from a more realistic view, the Utes finished 5-5 in their last 10 games, a slight improvement from their overall 15-18 losing season - their sixth losing season in the last eight years."

Enjoy it while it lasts. Actually, it might already be over. We're back and it's going to be tough to accept. You folks couldn't win with class and Jimmer iis gone.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2013 1:33 p.m.

Gonefishin,
    Maybe we should look at the reason so many BYU fans are on Utah pages. Look no further than Crissy B. If somehow the Utah fans could silence him/her things would be much more civil.
    Additionally, I remember many BYU fans congratulating Utah on their wins in the tourney but not one positive thing to say from Utah fans about BYU's NIT bid. I guess it does not go both ways.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2013 1:40 p.m.

gonefishn

"I think the venom and spite from BYU fans speaks for itself and is probably the best evidence that the U is on the way back from a historical low quicker than expected."

Finishing with your 6th losing season in the last 8, with only 13 wins against D-1 opponents, is a pretty low standard for "improvement".

U seem to be living with this delusion that last year was simply a momentary dip in the program; the truth is, Utah's basketball program has been a train wreck for most of the last 8 years - 14-15, 11-19, 18-15 (CBI), 25-10 (NCAA, one-and-done), 14-17, 13-18, 6-25, 14-18 - overall 102-137.

--------

ImaCaMan

"We're back and it's going to be tough to accept."

If that's what you call "back", LOL!

Washburn, Martin, and DuBois will all be gone next season, so another "rebuilding" year, in the never-ending rebuilding project on the hill, is inevitable.

At the current pace, the Utes won't even finish with a winning conference record until 2016.

2012 - 3-15
    2013 - 5-13
    2014 - 7-11
    2015 - 9-9
    2016 - 11-7

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 19, 2013 1:47 p.m.

Who's ImaCaMan?
    Who's back?
    "You folks couldn't win with class."... What?
    Jimmer???

GO UTES!

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    March 19, 2013 2:08 p.m.

Down Under- "I remember many BYU fans congratulating Utah on their wins in the tourney but not one positive thing to say from Utah fans about BYU's NIT bid." Congratulations. I hope that makes you feel better.

If you congratulated me for my team making the NIT, I would think you were joking. I usually reserve post season congratulations for at least making the NCAA tourney. Congratulations on an improvement, like the Utes have been making, is nice. But, congratulations for not making the NCAA tourney, after a nice multi year run? That's odd.

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 19, 2013 3:05 p.m.

@Down under

"not one positive thing to say from Utah fans about BYU's NIT bid"
    You guys are matched up against a team from our Pac12. Go Huskies!

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 19, 2013 3:09 p.m.

@ImaCaMan
    Sorry man, I misunderstood your post.

Go Utes!

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    March 19, 2013 4:21 p.m.

The Utes did have a nice little run to end the season and they played well at times during the rest of the season, but this program is a long ways away from actually being a serious competitor for a conference championship.

Losing Washburn, DuBois, and Martin would leave a huge hole for a good team to fill, and the Utes aren't anywhere close to being a good team.

Coach Krystko seems to have the program on the right track, but it's going to take a lot more work to climb into the upper half of the conference.

• Whatsnu Sandy, UT
    March 19, 2013 4:34 p.m.

Magna Ute Fan

"If you congratulated me for my team making the NIT, I would think you were joking."

You're correct in the sense that accomplishments are judged according to expectations

Even though both teams were undergoing rebuilding seasons,

- for BYU, book-ending six straight 25-win, NCAA tournament seasons, with 20+ win NIT seasons was a bit of a downer.

- for Utah, a 20+ win NIT season would have been a monumental success.