Faith

Close cousins surprised to be called to the same Mormon mission (+video)

Comments

• bjspack Orem, UT
    March 14, 2013 8:17 a.m.

I can already picture people saying it, "Wait you both have the same first name and last name?"

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2013 9:11 a.m.

How cool is that? And to top it off they're going to the best mission in the world.

• Mom to 6 Charlottesville, VA
    March 14, 2013 9:23 a.m.

Congratulations to both of them. My daughter will be serving in the Milan mission as well. She leaves May 1st and is very excited to serve there.

• Informed Voter South Jordan, UT
    March 14, 2013 10:22 a.m.

Twin brothers in my stake were both called to the same mission in Italy many years ago. One of them was re-assigned to another mission when it became known. Hope this doesn't happen to these cousins.

• feickertmd Colorado Springs, CO
    March 14, 2013 10:45 a.m.

Auguri anziani!

Going to the second-best mission (viva Roma!)

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    March 14, 2013 3:24 p.m.

My best friend and I served in the same mission and we saw each other only one time. Just because they're in the same mission doesn't mean they'll see much of each other.

• Juice Box Eureka, UT
    March 14, 2013 7:04 p.m.

How is this news? People get assigned the same missions to their "friends" or family members all the time. Slow day in the newsroom?

• SundanceKid27 OREM, UT
    March 14, 2013 8:18 p.m.

A "Mormon" mission. I am really glad that was clarified in the headline. Because I would've been super confused if it wasn't clarified.

Why does Deseret News use mormon?

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    March 14, 2013 9:39 p.m.

The sheer numbers of missionaries going to Italy is exciting. The fact that the Rome Italy temple will be finished during their mission makes it clear what The Lord's purpose is in sending so many to Italy during such an historic period in the church and temple building.

redcorvette- My black vette will still eat your redvette for brunch.

SDkid, I"ve seen the DN make simple assumptions in the past and people like you jumped all over them because they assumed that the LDS were the only ones to use a certain word or phrase. I'll take clear and concise reporting any day.

Juiced-so how slow was your day if you saw the title, watched the video (you know you did) and then took time out of your slow day to comment? Whew! time for a nap eh?

• Calbrode Vernal, Ut
    March 14, 2013 9:44 p.m.

Served for a couple of months with a close cousin while on a mission. We lived next door to each other for a couple of years even be fore the mission. It turned out to be one of the greatest blessings I have ever received.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    March 15, 2013 8:21 a.m.

Our son and his dear friend and cousin had the same thing happen to them about 14 years ago. They were born a few days apart (a week or so after their parents hiked to the top of Cedar breaks and took pics of two pregant Moms who finished the hike...hoping to start labor :)). Then they were called on the same day, to enter the MTC on the same day, both headed for Nagoya, Japan. Both served successful missions and are active, faithful husbands and fathers...still making their parents very proud.

• vaase ,
    March 15, 2013 11:15 a.m.

They might be zone leaders, snd
    my sister were,in neighborting zo nes. Yes, my sister was a zl. Ap perform theirvab

• Semper Fi Bakersfield, CA
    March 15, 2013 10:10 p.m.

Congrats, cuzins! What a special time you will have and memories forever.

Thank you for a special story for these families.

• OnlytheCross Bakersfield, CA
    March 16, 2013 1:24 p.m.

Che meraviglia! May the cousins enjoy their shared love of Italia.

For the 6 who liked the rude barb from Eureka, here's a Eureka moment for you: A slow news day for some is a special report for others. Get your own news outlet and monitor your stories' popularity on your own dime.

For Christians: This is something we all rejoice over- the Calling of Christ to share His Good News with a lost and dying world.
    For the Non-Believers: You're on the wrong site.
    For the Mormon bashers: Why are you here?

For Biblical Followers: We can disagree over theology and have reasoned, polite debates. Disparaging other denominations joy over their personal treasures is not what Jesus calls us to do, is it?

Complimenti to the new missionaries. Grazie for sharing your bel momento.

• iNKSpot Wilsonville, OR
    March 16, 2013 8:27 p.m.

My mission actually had a pair of brothers who served briefly as missionary companions. Both subsequently served as mission presidents.

• anjb provo, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 9:32 a.m.

Same thing happened to my brother and cousin. They are best friends, and my cousin got his call about 6 weeks before my brother, and went into the MTC 6 weeks before my brother. Only difference is my cousin is Spanish speaking and my brother is English. We'll see if they are ever companions (cousin already in the field, brother will be there in about a week!)