Opinion

Increase security for cancer patients, say no to HB391

Comments

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    March 13, 2013 3:24 p.m.

Obamacare is not the answer.

• Steve Cottrell Centerville, UT
    March 13, 2013 3:53 p.m.

Makes one wonder why we elect the people we do!

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    March 13, 2013 4:31 p.m.

Research has clearly established that states where Medicaid is expanded have seen a reduction in mortality rates. The point is not debatable.

This issue has transcended the governmental philosophy debate to become a morality issue. There's really no way to dodge this fact.

Raise my taxes if we need to pay for it. People not being able to get cancer screening and treatment is simply immoral.

It's mind boggling that such a wide segment of society who call themselves disciples of Christ can turn their backs on people in need and oppose this initiative, when private charity (an essential part of our society, certainly) has been given an ample opportunity to fill the need, and come up woefully short.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    March 13, 2013 6:39 p.m.

Look.....I'm not a fan of Obamacare either; but - that is an argument for another day, another time.

When we can afford to spend money on "keeping the wolves" out of Utah, or devote millions to LOSING arguments to the feds on "taking back" federal lands; we have GOT to be able to allow the severely economically disadvantaged to get basic medical diagnosis/care.

I personally think we can do something better than Obamacare; but not today. These disadvantaged folks, through no fault of their own are caught in the crossfire between Repubs. and Demos. bickering.

Its' issues like these when the Republican controlled (my affilliation BTW)legislature doesn't even allow poor people to get basic healthcare that may, very possibly, put the Demos.back in charge of state government!

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    March 14, 2013 12:25 p.m.

This is another article filled with half truths. The government cannot prevent people, rich or poor, fat or thin, black or white, from getting cancer screenings. If you want/need a cancer screening you can always pay for it. The poor already have charitable hospitals and government programs that give them health insurace (this covers screenings).

All this does it allow those who don't want insurance to get care for free.

• Ruby.Bowring United Kingdom, 00
    March 16, 2013 1:33 p.m.

I have to confess to not understand how a country so foreward thinking still operates a health system which relies on people buying health care insurance. I know our system in the UK is not perfect but I am so grateful to the National Health System which means that if ever I become sick the last thing I have to worry about is can I afford the treatment.