Utah

Teen boy struck by car while crossing street in Kearns

Utah auto-pedestrian crashes have increased, new report says

Comments

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    March 12, 2013 8:38 a.m.

Kids walking to school in the dark is caused by.....?

Right, some governing entity moved our clocks forward by 1 hour.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    March 12, 2013 8:41 a.m.

Actually moving the clock forward isn't the real problem that children are walking to school in the dark.

The problem is that it was moved forward TOO SOON.

Spring does not begin until the 21st of March.

• Standingd Davis, UT
    March 12, 2013 10:34 a.m.

IandC,
    moving the clocks forward this passed weekend actually provides a lot more light at the time these kids were going to school. I would bet running across street not in a cross walk /trying to beat traffic.

• Danny Chipman Lehi, UT
    March 12, 2013 11:14 a.m.

Light levels weren't even mentioned in the article. The blame lies with the impatient, inconsiderate person(s) who decided, "Hey, I don't want stop or even think about why this car in front of me may have stopped; I'll just go on my merry way!....Uh-oh.........."

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    March 12, 2013 4:34 p.m.

Hopefully this young man is able to recover. That's an awful price to pay for crossing the street outside a crosswalk.

I hope the local City decides to actually install a couple crosswalks, now, and help avoid some of this risk in the future. In fact, if I lived there I'd go to a City Council Meeting and ask personally that it be done and done right away.

• Alaskan Coug Anchorage, AK
    March 12, 2013 4:38 p.m.

RE: Standingd

Moving the clock forward like we did this weekend DOES make it darker in the morning when these kids are walking to school. (Although I personally think it is stupid to keep moving the clocks forward each spring and back each fall- but that is another discussion).

BUT I suspect the light or dark didn't have much to do with this.... Jay-walking as these kids were doing is always risky. I hope they are issued tickets for the jay-walking. When we act act in a risky manner we can't control the outcome.

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 12, 2013 5:16 p.m.

fact check - the accident wasn't caused by any of the cars. It started with four teens who disregarded cross walked and walked out into a dark street. Why do we blame the drivers when it's the kids that were in the wrong place. The first driver stopped in an area where other drivers didn't know what to expect and they had to swerve around him.

Parents, teach your kids some responsibility and respect the laws. Even the simple ones like using a crosswalk. Common sense could have prevented this from happening.

• Bruce T. Forbes Kearns, UT
    March 13, 2013 5:17 a.m.

There are several problems with the stretch of 5400 South between Cougar Lane and 5600 West. One, drivers beleive it to be a dragstrip and drive accordingly while applying makeup, shaving, and texting - I have see it all daily in the 13 years I have been catching a bus on 5400 South and Leprechaun Lane. Two, all high school students north of 5400 South are expected to use a single crosswalk at Cougar Lane. Very poor, lazy, and thoughtless city planning. Three, everyone trying to use the bus to get to work has no safe place to cross the street to catch an eastbound bus. I literally must allow a minimum of ten minutes just to cross the street at 5400 South and Leprechaun Lane. A safe crosswalk (with flashing lights!) is very badly needed somewhere between Cougar Lane and 5600 South. I challange the Kearns Council to come watch traffic with me in the morning - and to see how much time is added when working adults trying to catch a bus have to walk to 5600 West or to Cougar Lane to cross the street to catch their bus.

• Chuck E. Racer Lehi, UT
    March 13, 2013 7:11 a.m.

Regardless of who is to blame, this accident would NOT have happened if Daylight Savings Time had not been started this week. It ought to at least be pushed back to the first week of April like it used to be.