Utah

Proposed non-discrimination law won't be heard on Senate floor

Comments

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    March 11, 2013 1:37 p.m.

My ancestors thought it was immoral for a black and a white to get married. Mr. Reid thinks it's immoral to treat homosexuals fairly. My ancestors and Mr. Reid share the same deformity of conscience.

• The Utah Republican Alpine, UT
    March 11, 2013 3:09 p.m.

The church is on record in support of discrimination protections AND YET the Republicans in the legislature can't bring themselves to vote for it.

This isn't a Mormon thing. It's a bigotry thing. It's about fear of the "other," and our legislature needs to find the moral fiber and become decent, loving, human beings.

• Lagomorph Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2013 6:30 p.m.

When will people realize that guaranteeing rights to an oppressed minority that the privileged majority routinely enjoys is not giving the minority "special rights" but is merely guaranteeing them the equal rights that they should already have? It's not elevating them above, it's lifting them up to the same level from a hole.

How disappointing that the full legislature will not hear the bill. Kudos to Sen Urquhart for shepherding it this far.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    March 11, 2013 9:26 p.m.

Glad I didn't hold my breath, but this is exactly what I expected would happen.

• ticoloco Tooele, UT
    March 11, 2013 9:45 p.m.

I don't think will be a wise thing to give more rights of what they already have, like all citizens they also enjoy equal rights, what else more they want to have. If the Utah senate pass this bill many of this senators won't be re-elect.

• FatherOfFour WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    March 12, 2013 6:50 a.m.

"SB262 would prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity in housing and employment practices."

Well we definitely don't want that. We want to be able to refuse housing and/or employment to gays because that is what we've been taught.

"The law would not apply to small businesses, college dormitories, religious organizations or businesses owned by religious organizations."

So it wouldn't affect a majority of the businesses in Utah, but let's not bring it up for a vote anyway.

@The Utah Republican,

Supporters of this bill worked with the LDS church for more than a year but were still not able to get support for an anti-discrimination bill.

• ThornBirds St.George, Utah
    March 12, 2013 8:57 a.m.

Anyone really surprised that this law would never be put into place in this state now?
    No, of course not.
    The next generation will take care of this. Their thinking is much different and more accepting than their parents and grandparents.
    Utah will be a different place.
    Just wait and see.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    March 12, 2013 11:09 a.m.

"Someone is going to have to demonstrate to me in a satisfactory way that
    being homosexual,
    being black,
    being handicapped,
    being Jewish,
    being old,
    being a woman,
    is not immoral," he said during last week's committee hearing, "because as long as I feel that way, I cannot advance policy that frankly encourages the societal acceptance of something I believe is immoral."

-------

Aw yes, playing the bigotry card using the old morality excuse.

Jesus said live everyone
    Treat them kindly too
    When your heart is filled with love
    others will love you.

• IJ Hyrum, Ut
    March 12, 2013 11:59 a.m.

Open Minded Mormon,
    Don't confuse love for everyone with acceptance of that which is sin.

With that said, unless there is somethiing in this bill that I don't see, I don't see why it would not pass. There is nothing immoral about giving equal housing and employment rights to each and every person. I find it repulsive that there even needs to be a bill for this.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2013 4:39 p.m.

@IJ
    "Don't confuse love for everyone with acceptance of that which is sin."

There's a difference between basic human dignity and acceptance...

"I don't see why it would not pass. There is nothing immoral about giving equal housing and employment rights to each and every person. I find it repulsive that there even needs to be a bill for this."

...and you understand that difference. The thing is many in the legislature do not.