Utah

Paragliders worry mining at Point of the Mountain will clip their wings

Comments

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    March 10, 2013 6:50 p.m.

There is always this nasty problem of property rights. Perhaps the hang-gliders could come up with sufficient money to buy the quarry?

• estudiante GRAND RAPIDS, MI
    March 10, 2013 8:46 p.m.

My thoughts exactly, carman. Buy the quarry. Surely it's for sale.

• Prodicus Provo, UT
    March 11, 2013 12:25 a.m.

I'm appalled by the attitudes many Utahns express towards those who are trying to preserve the beauty and resources of our state. When all our mountains have been reduced to gravel pits and open-pit mines, when all our valleys have been reduced to asphalt, and when our air is an opaque poison, how many of you will still want to live in that wasteland?

You folks who are saying "Free Market! Property Rights! Those solve everything!" are conveniently forgetting that one of the main reasons Geneva Rock is tearing the world down is because our tax dollars are paying them to do so. We spend a ridiculous amount of money on road construction in this state - in the top 10 per capita nationally, having more than doubled in the last six years, despite our otherwise small state budget - and less than a third of that is paid for by gas taxes. This creates a demand for gravel, asphalt, and concrete that is much higher than it would be in a free market. Politics has created the problem, and it demands a political solution.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    March 11, 2013 6:32 a.m.

Utah is always looking for ways to draw tourists to the state. Utah ought to consider buying this land and then including it in its tourists advertisements. Gravel and dirt can be gotten most anywhere. A world class jumping off point isn't that common.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 11, 2013 7:43 a.m.

I'm surprised that the hang gliders are not classified as a public nuisance, especially so close to a federal highway. When driving north on I-15 they are a huge distraction to driving.

As a driver on gov't subsidized roads I believe my rights are such that I should be able to drive on a public road without the distraction from an activity fraught with so much danger.

I want a fence so my driving will not be distracted before the thought of the gov't buying the Geneva quarry for this minority group or better yet... let's just tax hang gliding and let them fund their own playground and the fence I want.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    March 11, 2013 8:38 a.m.

@ carman there's nothing to buy, it's a gravel mining claim, rented, depleted of it's profitable resources, then returned to the people when the resource is no longer.

Profit first, Utah's Environmental Plan.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    March 11, 2013 9:24 a.m.

Hang gliding at point of the mountain is operating on borrowed time anyway. It's only a matter of time before some inexperienced hang glider encounters an unexpected wind shift and lands on I-15 where he gets run over by a semi or a minivan. At that point the governor will step in and make it illegal.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    March 11, 2013 1:56 p.m.

Brave Sir Robin
    San Diego, CA

9:24 a.m. March 11, 2013

============

That's ridiculous.
    They've been flying off the potm since 1971.

Maybe we should just bulldoze the Torrey Pines gliderport in your neighborhood -- same difference.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2013 11:49 a.m.

Normally I am pro business but I tend to side with the hang/para gliders on this one. Just because its there does not mean we have to exploit it to the maximum. It is not like Point of the Mountain is the only gravel location in the entire state. One question pops up on the radar, what are the restoration plans for POTM after Geneva has leveled, dug and mined every square inch? Will they leave it to the legislature to fund the restoration? And, how will removal of so much terrain and elevation effect the prevailing winds and weather currents for Draper, Lehi and area. If the venturi effect of the narrows is altered how will the two wind generators on Camp Williams fare? Is Geneva liable for the results of the mine, mine, mine philosophy (apologies to the seagulls in "Finding Nemo").

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    March 15, 2013 5:41 a.m.

Don't have much interest in hanggliding myself. But I am wondering why all the fuss? Yes, the sport has been there since the 1970's. But the mountain has been drastically cut back from the 1950's forward, with no appreciable effect on the wind. I-15 used to be a highway 91 cut through a very narrow point--only a four lane highway with a stripe down the middle. It was drastically cut back in the '60's to make room for the divided lanes of 1-15. Didn't affect the wind much, as near as I can tell. Where is the science to back up this claim?