Utah Utes basketball: Utes defeat No. 19 Oregon, 72-62

Comments

• Arm of Orion Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 9, 2013 2:29 p.m.

Never thought that this would happen nice win UTES!

• lloyd braun ogden, utah
    March 9, 2013 2:37 p.m.

Great win for the Utes. I really hope the Utah program can get back to where it was. I love to cheer for the Utes. Great job.

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 9, 2013 2:41 p.m.

Awesome! Great day for the seniors. Good job Coach K, Good job team. Definitely a program going in the right direction. Generates excitement for the tournament and for next season. Go Utes.

• Jordan Lynchburg, VA
    March 9, 2013 2:42 p.m.

Go Utes! I wish I was there to watch it in person! That was a great game against a good team!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 9, 2013 2:41 p.m.

Great way to finish the season for the team, the fans, and particularly the seniors players.
    You can certainly see the growth of this team from the beginning of the year until now, which adds a ton of credibility to the job Coach Krystowiak is doing.
    I'd love to see this team get at least one win in the conference tourney, two would be a tall order (would most likely face a hot Cal team). But then again, Utah did just knock the number one team in the conference off their perch!
    The future on the hill looks bright. I'm not predicting things to be too different next year, but hopefully they'll see some more progress and then add a couple more pieces to the puzzle and be a true conference competitor by the 2014-15 season.
    Proud of the guys today ... Go Utes!

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    March 9, 2013 2:45 p.m.

Big thanks and congrats to these Seniors and best of luck in Las Vegas. What a win!

• Duckhunted provo, UT
    March 9, 2013 2:53 p.m.

Chris,
    You gave Oregon 3 extra points.... MMM Any Chris bashers ready to comment? I didn't think so!!!

• Mount Olympus Salt Lake, UT
    March 9, 2013 2:56 p.m.

Great job Utes.

Utes beat at least 2 tournament teams this year (Oregon and Colorado).

Not sure that any other team in the state beat any teams that will play in the big dance.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    March 9, 2013 2:57 p.m.

Nice weekend...

Nice win(s)...

Go Utes!

• Duckhunted provo, UT
    March 9, 2013 2:57 p.m.

Oh didn't Chris also predict what team in Utah beat a top 25 team?
    mmmmm more silence!

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    March 9, 2013 3:00 p.m.

Great game Utes! Got up by 14, gave a little, but broke Oregon attempts to come back. Well done! Nice to see everything coming together for next week's tournament!

• AntelopeValleyUte Palmdale, CA
    March 9, 2013 3:03 p.m.

This is a good victory for Utah! Good job guys! Great way to finish off the season! Whether Oregon has been a legit top 25 team the last half of the season, Utah was able to get a victory against a ranked opponent. They just need to build on this momentum for next year! Go UTES!!!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 9, 2013 3:04 p.m.

Great win, way to close out the season! At the start I thought Utah could pull off a 16 win season.

Utah was soundly beaten in 6 of the 30 games, all were PAC-12 games. In 7 of 8 games we lost in the final minutes, 3 of which we blew double digit leads deep in the second half.

So finishing 13-17, with 11 new players, shows that overall we are on the right track.

Go UTES!!

• FB Fan #2 Grantsville, UT
    March 9, 2013 3:10 p.m.

From this BYU Fan, good job Utes! What an amazing Senior night for the team!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    March 9, 2013 3:09 p.m.

Obviously Oregon choked, looking past the Utes. But Utah took advantage of it. I can understand why every team Utah played would be tempted to look past them. Eventually those attitudes catch up with you. What was the attendance figure for the game.....anyone know?

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    March 9, 2013 3:10 p.m.

I had a blast at the game with my boy. We're both horse now. Great progress Utes! Thanks to all the players for a their hard work this season. Special thanks to the Seniors. Big pat on the back to Jason Washburn. Thanks for being a faithful Ute through the hard times.

• Cedarcreek320 Star Valley Ranch, WY
    March 9, 2013 3:12 p.m.

Good job Utes. A team based in Utah finally beat a ranked team this year!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 9, 2013 3:20 p.m.

@toosmartforyou

-----------

No that's not obvious at all. What is obvious by your weak "attendance" smack your team choked last night and now you're even more bitter today.

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    March 9, 2013 3:28 p.m.

My, my, my- the haters are going to have a tough time with this one. All we've heard are comments about how Utah hasn't shown any signs of improvement over last year. Looking forward to the spin after this.

Good thing we weren't playing the mighty Toreros!

Great game. GO UTES!!

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    March 9, 2013 3:39 p.m.

@lloyd braun

Serenity now!

• GO_COUGARS! Provo, UT
    March 9, 2013 3:45 p.m.

My fellow byu fans promised me that utah could never beat a good team so this headline must be a typo! Oregon isn't nearly as good a program as San Diego obviously plus the refs made us lose so they probably helped you win.. Playing in the Huntsman Center doesn't help because I heard its not very good either. Did you hear that Gonzaga is in our conference? Go cougs

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    March 9, 2013 4:05 p.m.

Fantastic game for the Utes today! The Huntsman Center was rocking. Biggest crowd of the season. The only drawback were the ridiculously long lines at the concessions. I don't think they were planning on such a large crowd.

So happy for Washburn and the other seniors. Congrats to U all! First in-state team this season to beat a Top 25 team!

Make some noise in Las Vegas next week! GO UTES!!!

• FB Fan #2 Grantsville, UT
    March 9, 2013 4:08 p.m.

@GO_COUGARS!

Oregon would have dominated San Diego. Let's face it, our Cougars lost to them and beating a ranked team is a big deal. Give credit where it's due! :)

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    March 9, 2013 4:13 p.m.

Good win for Utah. Actually fantastic. Too bad BYU lost because now all the bad mouthing will begin. Uteology and toosmartforyou already have started.

I will say this. Both teams had some very good days and some very bad ones. So neither team can do much crowing. Utah ended well but started very poorly. BYU the opposite. Both will suffer heavy losses when the seniors are finished. Utah will get a game or two more, and BYU may get the same.

Then it will be wait til next year for both teams. With that comes a hope that the new guys can patch the holes and turn into a Washburn and/or a Davies very quickly.

Good luck to Utah in their conference tourney and to BYU if the NIT comes calling.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    March 9, 2013 4:17 p.m.

Great job, Utes!! Playing in an elite conference like the PAC 12 has had growing pains, like we knew we would (Five PAC 12 teams are projected to get into the NCAA tournament). But we're slowly getting back to where we belong. And today was huge, denying Oregon the PAC 12 title.

@too"smart" for you

Do you need a tissue?

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    March 9, 2013 4:21 p.m.

Part II for me.

I rest my case about bad mouthing. This is a perfect example. Not sure who hates whom in this comment.

"nosaerfoecioveht
    NSL, UT

Good thing we weren't playing the mighty Toreros!

Great game. GO UTES!!"

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 9, 2013 4:21 p.m.

alternate:

"Too bad BYU lost because now all the bad mouthing will begin. Uteology and toosmartforyou already have started."

Actually, Uteology commented 5-minutes before toosmartforyou, and made no mention of the Y at all. It wasn't until AFTER toosmartforyou started it with her minimization of Utah's win that Uteology "responded". Don't be such a hypocrite. The badmouthing on this thread was initiated by your crowd.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    March 9, 2013 4:23 p.m.

I don't log in much anymore to these boards but I thought this W merited a hearty congrats to the Utes. The seniors, Washburn in particular, deserved a game like this. Nice win!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    March 9, 2013 4:27 p.m.

Moe evidence the PAC is a conference below the WAC, MWC, WCC.

BYU, Utah State, and Weber would contend well.

Highly over rated.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 9, 2013 4:48 p.m.

worf
    Mcallen, TX

Moe evidence the PAC is a conference below the WAC, MWC, WCC.

------------

That's not evidence, that's just your opinion. Actual evidence shows #5 MWC, #6 PAC, and #10 WCC according to USA Today.

Another bitter Cougar!! LOVE IT!! Please keep your "obvious" and "evidence" coming!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    March 9, 2013 5:05 p.m.

@ Uteology

I said nothing about the other team last night in this blog. Obviously a 13 - 17 record is great for Utah fans. I'm just wondering out loud how many seats were sold to see them get a great upset of Oregon. I hope many, but I wouldn't bet the rent on it. A good upset is only worth so much in the grand scheme of things. Other than TV stations in Salt Lake City, don't expect anyone else to even notice.

I'm not the least bit bitter. 20 - 11 is certainly light years ahead of 13 - 17. Maybe you're thinking basketball is scored in the same manner as golf. Oops, not even close; it's like bowling. Speaking of bowling....(never mind).

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    March 9, 2013 5:10 p.m.

@ Naval Vet

I didn't minimize Utah's win. I said they got an upset and that upsets are born out of someone looking past their opponent. In case you aren't aware, a 13 - 17 team having defeated the #19 team is an upset---no one would put money on it happening, especially the #19 team.

Just face the facts: Utah was way under .500 this year. An upset is only worth so much. That having been said, I am happy for the Utes. Just recognize it wasn't the same as winning the conference championship game. It's like the Jazz squeaking into 8th place in the playoffs; an achievement, but nothing particularly glorious. Ute fans are gushing like they suddenly discovered oil.

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    March 9, 2013 5:19 p.m.

Utah upsets #19 Oregon and BYU loses to San Diego snapping their NCAA tournament appearance streak. It was a good weekend!

Way to go Utes! Hopefully this team can make a splash in the Pac-12 tournament next week.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 9, 2013 5:23 p.m.

I try to keep my comments objective, unlike some Ute trolls who only comment on BYU articles based on hate and bitterness, not objectivity.

Congrats on a great win. After a tough five or six years, it must feel great to get a win like this. I don't think Oregon is the powerhouse that some thought they were early in the year, but they're still a good team. This will likely knock them out of the Top 25 and drop them a couple of seeds in the NCAA.

From a BYU fan who has enjoyed a great five or six year, I admit it was a painful year losing to teams like San Diego (2X) and San Francisco. I'm holding out hope for the great recruiting year we had and we should be back to 25+ wins in 3 or 4 years.

I think both the Utes and Cougs will have similar years next year to what they had this year. Losing four of your best players will be tough to replace.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    March 9, 2013 5:28 p.m.

@ GoRed

No, I don't need a tissue.

I'm grinning as I read these comments about the "mighty" Utes. And there was a stab at the 'other school' from someone saying they were happy they weren't playing the other opponent. So your fans are just as bad, not being gracious winners at all (with a few exceptions).

Look at the article about the other team's loss and you'll see what I had to say about that. I'm just being factual, which Ute fans seems to not be able to do. You can't show me one post where I ever said the Y had a great BBall team this year. And you can't see where I ever said the Jazz were the best thing going, either. The whole basketball scenario in Utah this year leaves a lot to be desired. And that includes the Utes as well. It's a pity fans feel so warm and fuzzzy about a 13 - 17 team and that other teams seem to lose in the final 2 minutes several times.

Bad year all around.

No tissues required for me. Maybe you, other than this game, for the season.....?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 9, 2013 5:37 p.m.

@toosmartforyou

----------------------------

Nope. Upsets happen when the underdog out plays the favorite. Overlooking an opponent is just opinion.

Specially considering the fact the at Oregon it was "trailing 30-22 to Utah at the half, Kazemi made an impassioned locker-room plea... Kazemi's speech resonated with his teammates, and No. 19 Oregon took charge midway through the second half to beat the Utes 73-64 on [February 9, 2013]."

So no idea why you would think Oregon would OVERLOOK Utah in Salt Lake when they struggled to beat us at Eugene.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    March 9, 2013 6:15 p.m.

@ Uteology

Just my opinion. I have officiated basketball for many years, as well as watching, so I form opinions based on experience. And "on any given day" proves to be true over and over again. But if Utah had played them 10 times do you think Utah would have won more than 5 this year?

I don't think Oregon came into SLC to lose, or were afraid of the Uters, do you? For whatever reason, Utah did indeed outplay them. Oregon could have stayed up too late, not been focused, been distracted thinking about PAC 12 Championship, NCAA Tourney, etc. Doesn't matter though, does it? Perish the thought, they could have even overlooked Utah. Again, doesn't matter. It doesn't make Utah the better team except for the day the game was played. And that happens to be the day it counted this half of the season. So congrats to the Utes.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 9, 2013 6:17 p.m.

toosmartforyou, yes, the "overlooking" excuse is extremely weak. And per your inquisition, the attendance was 11,628, which I believe is the second highest attendance of any PAC-12 game this year. Little ways to go to pack the house, but an electric atmosphere with a good crowd to watch a really impressive performance.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    March 9, 2013 6:31 p.m.

Too Smart, wrong O about nobody outside of SLC noticed. I was watching the UCLA vs. Washington Game on CBS and they mentioned that Utah was beating Oregon a couple of times as Oregon would have won the PAC 12 Title had they won and UCLA lost. Then, later, during the Louisville vs. Notre Dame game, they mentioned it again. ESPN also had it on the top of their page as they tend to track Top 20 teams. The people in Eugene also noticed, quite certain of it. Have anymore trite comments?

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 9, 2013 6:46 p.m.

Gee thanks to some of you byu fans for admitting that the Runnin' Utes are coming along...slowly. As apposed to the cougs spiraling down to one and out in the...wcc?

Tell us more about Moe. lol.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    March 9, 2013 8:07 p.m.

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 9, 2013 8:37 p.m.

@talkinsports

The Ducks are still one of the favorites to win the Pac12 tournament and they will be ranked before they start dancin'. Tell us Moe.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 9, 2013 9:18 p.m.

talkinsports

"After losing to Colorado and Utah, the Ducks won't be ranked, so the Utes still haven't beaten a team that will be ranked in next week's rankings."
    ___________

Sounds like someone's not very happy about a 3rd place finish in the terrible WCC. Or was it the embarrassing early departure from the WCC tournament that's got you all worked up?

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    March 9, 2013 9:22 p.m.

@too "smart" for you

You should quit while your behind.

• OCoug Ogden, UT
    March 10, 2013 12:44 a.m.

Great win for the U program, may it only continue to move in the right direction against the USC Trojans.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    March 10, 2013 11:11 a.m.

motorbike

"Sounds like someone's not very happy about a 3rd place finish in the terrible WCC."

Disappointed in some of BYU's losses, but most BYU fans realized early on that this was a rebuilding year for the Cougars and very few expected to finish ahead of Gonzaga or Saint Mary's this year.

#69 BYU(21-11) > #171 Utah(13-17)

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 10, 2013 12:53 p.m.

talkinsports

"Finishing 3rd in the WCC is certainly MUCH BETTER than finishing one game out of the basement in the PAC 10.2."
    _________

Agree to disagree. I'd rather Utah take 12th place in the PAC-12 than having to compete in the WCC. Sorry, but I'd lose all interest in watching U of U athletics if that was the competition they faced day in and day out. I honestly have to give props to you and the other cougar fans that are still hanging in there.

• RU Serious Washington, UT
    March 10, 2013 3:56 p.m.

Enjoyed the comments so far. "Trolls" a name over used and well, something a 14 year old bully on some social network might use. An official of basketball games using this credential to impress the readers on this thread on his knowledge of basketball. Are you not supposed to be insuring that the game is conducted according to the rules. Why in fact are you even noticing any other aspect of the game. Oh wait, the majority of officials believe the fans pay money to watch them ref. congrats to both schools on their successes this year. May all the Utah schools continue improving and providing us with great entertainment.

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 10, 2013 5:40 p.m.

You byu fans make LOL. The fact is...just being a permanent member of the Pac12 is better then winning the wcc on occasion. But you guys wouldn't know either way.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    March 10, 2013 11:13 p.m.

This was a great win for the Utah basketball program. Great way to finish conference play and a perfect way to send off the seniors.

I'm very happy for Washburn to go out with back to back victories and knocking off the number 19th team in the nation in the process. That guy has been through more than probably every other player in college basketball. Three coaches and more turn over with teammates than I can count and the guy had a great attitude through it all. He also improved his game over the years.

I really don't get all the comparisons between the PAC12 and the WCC. The PAC has 5 teams projected to go to the NCAA tournament and has traditionally been a top rated conference in the nation. The WCC has traditionally been a 1 bid conference just like it most likely will be this year. Byu should have stayed in the MWC but if they did that they probably would have finished 5th or 6th. Might be hard to admit, but the y would have only finished a spot or two above Utah if they were invited to the PAC12.

Go Utes!