Former Cougar Heaps atop Kansas' spring depth chart at quarterback

Comments

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    March 5, 2013 2:34 p.m.

As a BYU fan, I only hope for the best for Heaps. Good luck.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2013 2:37 p.m.

I hope Heaps lights it up this year. With a quality coach and with BCS quality teammates around him, even a 1-11 Kansas team is a significant from his prior team.

Side note:

A 1-11 Kansas team beat byu and usu in recruiting.

I guess when recruits can pick to go play with Heaps on a 1-11 BCS team or a WAC team, the choice is clear.

Good luck this year Heaps!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2013 2:37 p.m.

When a guy leaves a program to go to a 1-11 Kansas program, speaks volumes about the team he left.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    March 5, 2013 2:49 p.m.

I bet Jake loves playing with other players who were more than 2 stars out of high school. And if you don't think stars matter, go look up how many stars the average Alabama player has and how many the average indy/WAC player has.

• aunt lucy Looneyville, UT
    March 5, 2013 3:39 p.m.

While I consider myself a Bronco supporter, it's only true every coach has wins and loses and the Heaps situation certainly has to be one of Bronco's greatest loses to date. Not sure how good the kid is cause stars don't quarantee production, but touchdown passes aside, the way this marriage ended for BYU and Heaps is regretful. Wish the kid nothing but the best!

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 5, 2013 3:44 p.m.

Heaps and the cougars runnin rampant through what would of been the new BCS AQ MWC in 2013! OMG! What a concept! Hindsight's 20/20. What do think Holmoe and Bronco?

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2013 3:44 p.m.

Hope he has a successful career in Kansas. I expect him to do the best he can.
    Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    March 5, 2013 4:29 p.m.

Wow. You guys are just gushing, aren't you.
    Quite pathetic, really.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    March 5, 2013 4:47 p.m.

This falls under the category of "who cares?" No, I didn't read beyond the title of the article. This guy left the Cougs program 1 1/2 years ago. If anyone is still interested in Heaps, they can access info. on him from the Manhattan, Kansas papers.

• But seriously folks! Pacific Northwest, WA
    March 5, 2013 5:01 p.m.

Chris B,
    I wonder if you watched Heaps play, EVER? If so you would see why he was not a good fit for BYU. He wanted to be the whole team and he did not use good judgement. BYU requires both teamwork and smarts.

• TheCrow American Fork, UT
    March 5, 2013 5:28 p.m.

Ken, very insightful. "if you don't think stars matter". I noticed Tennessee was ranked #9 in 2010 (6-7), #13 in 2011 (5-7), and #17 (5-7) in 2012 by Rivals. Good thing they're getting all the "stars"... its really been paying off. Should we go on? Maybe it is you who should think about whether "stars" matter. It is a combination of many things. Rankings, coaches, environment, etc. I know you are looking for a reaction ( i guess I just gave you one), oh well.

• Spider Rico Greeley, CO
    March 5, 2013 5:49 p.m.

Uh, he transferred to a 1-11 team because he lost his starting position. Der

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    March 5, 2013 5:59 p.m.

Who in the PAC 10.2 has been so nice to you? (Hint: It wasn't Colorado.) Who in Logan has been so nice to you. (Go Aggies!)

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    March 5, 2013 6:03 p.m.

Programs win when they have coaches that know how to leverage the strengths of their players, above their normal ability to perform (e.g. Lone Peak basketball). Who knows what Heaps could have done with a knowledgeable OC and QB coach. I wish him well and hope BYU stops hiring guys that look good on paper.

• airliner Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2013 6:06 p.m.

Heaps was smart to leave.

Bronco's pride in sticking with the LB at QB will have long lasting effects on BYU's mediocrity.

Move to independence: strike 1

Transfer of a potential All-American QB - this should have never happened at BYU, of all places: strike 2

Firing/forcing out your entire offensive staff, in other words, "passing the buck": strike 3

BYU football is like Utah basketball, once great, but now irrelevant.

• Levin Hightstown, NJ
    March 5, 2013 6:27 p.m.

So. Cal Reader, you are probably more likely to hear about Heaps in Lawrence, KS than in Manhattan, KS. Unless, of course, there's a Chris B at KU.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    March 5, 2013 6:50 p.m.

Looks like Jake Heaps still stirs a lot of passions in Provo. Its nice to see that most people here are wishing him all the best, though.

Jake does a lot of things well. It will be interesting to see if the red shirt year helps him move up to the level everyone expected of him out of high school.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2013 7:08 p.m.

@ TheCrow

I think your argument is a little over simplified. Yeah their record is unimpressive, but keep in mind they the Vols are playing against similar caliber recruits every week in SEC play. Stars aren't the end-all-be all, but they aren't 100% meaningless either.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    March 5, 2013 8:19 p.m.

Jake should be happy he left since he wouldn't even be 4th string now with the quarterbacks we have.

• Mount Olympus Salt Lake, UT
    March 5, 2013 8:23 p.m.

Even a top recruit will struggle if he goes to a place without good coaches.

• Born in Provo Logan, UT
    March 5, 2013 8:28 p.m.

I wish Heaps all the best. I still think he would have been better off red-shirting a year and staying the Y. Resilience means that you bounce back from getting benched. Hopefully he has learned some of that in his time off. He throws a beautiful football; I saw it firsthand. I would still take Riley's heart over Heaps' arm.

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 5, 2013 8:47 p.m.

At byu, he would of been a Super Star, under Lavell. At Kansas, he will have the last laugh.

• hoghead sandy, UT
    March 5, 2013 8:57 p.m.

And a zero star recruit will become a top 10 NFL pick with great coaches. Just ask Ziggy. Great call Mount Oly.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    March 5, 2013 9:47 p.m.

All comments except one wished Jake Haps well with Kansas. The other comment was negative about BYU. You guessed it - Chrissy B.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    March 5, 2013 9:58 p.m.

I think they will give Jake a chance even if he does not field punts in practice. I think they want a quarterback who can throw and that is Jake. I wish him great success. He's going to be a star.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    March 5, 2013 10:21 p.m.

He seems pretty cool.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 5, 2013 11:26 p.m.

hoghead
    sandy, UT

---------

One player drafted in 3 years. At that rate you just might pass Colorado's talent level.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    March 6, 2013 6:30 a.m.

I wish Jake all the good fortune at Kansas. Have a great career, Jake!

• shorts Payson, UT
    March 6, 2013 6:35 a.m.

I hope Heaps does really well at Kansas. Win the Big 12.

• guitarboy South Jordan, UT
    March 6, 2013 6:48 a.m.

toosmartforyou OWNED Chris B. Love it.

But seriously folks! was right: "BYU requires both teamwork and smarts."

I am a Jake Heaps fan and supporter. I think, his freshman year, when he was driving BYU down the field at RES on that last drive, he was going in for the kill, and Robert Anae's decision to shut down that momentum and attempt a field goal was probably the wrong move. However, coach did what he thought was best. Jake Heaps did what he thought was best, and what that was included Heaps' decisions next season that lead to a 54-10 drubbing of BYU after Heaps gifted three touchdowns to Utah. Utah fans who today claim Heaps was too good for BYU, after trashing Heaps in 2011 for the 54-10 debacle, are living in a whole new level of delusional denial.

Any good team requires teamwork and smarts. If Heaps has learned this, he can help Kansas become stellar. Nobody relevant denies Heaps' stellar abilities. If he finally learns teamwork and smarts, and stops throwing un-catchable bullets, disingenuous people may forever wrongly think BYU coaches didn't do it right when Heaps was there.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    March 6, 2013 6:49 a.m.

Maybe he's finally grown up. If so, I hope he does well. Immaturity never does well and that was a lot of what his problem was when he was at BYU. We all have to go through growing pains and I hope he has done that. I wish him the best.

• Jim1027 St. George, UT
    March 6, 2013 6:58 a.m.

Nobody was higher on Jake when he entered the BYU program than I was. He was doing well his freshman year, but as a sophomore his true self was exposed.

Here's why he was benched, in no particular order:

1. He didn't organize practices for his guys in the off-season.
    2. Although he threw a nice ball, it was the same fast-ball from an distance. He didn't know how to throw a soft one that the receivers could catch from ten yards when they were open.
    3. He avoided contact and even got out of the way on a pick and just let the guy run past him to the end zone. He totally lost the team then.
    4. He quit. Now, you can say the BM or BD weren't good coaches but Ziggy didn't quit, even though he wanted to do so 50 times. Neither did any of the other QB's.

You can ask about any of the team if the above is true. They quit following him. If he can overcome those deficiencies he will make his own luck, and I hope he will.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    March 6, 2013 7:33 a.m.

I agree, Chris. It might say something like "I don't want to play anywhere I'll have to actually compete for the starting job." When you jump to a 1-11 team without a strong incumbent QB, you're not exactly telling everyone you have high expectations for yourself.

And no-one knows for sure, but I don't recall any of the traditional "quarterback factory" schools clamoring for Jake's services after his sophomore year. If my logic is off, someone please correct me. I have a feeling I'll be waiting for awhile.

• wazzup Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 6, 2013 7:57 a.m.

That's a novel idea. 2 QB's taking all the reps in spring ball. Whereas at BYU, 4 or 5 are vying for the QB spot in Provo again! Same nonsense that drove Heps from BYU in the first place. The last similar experience was a disaster. Some people never learn

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    March 6, 2013 8:22 a.m.

Good analysis, Jim1027. I think you are spot on.

When Heaps first arrived, there was no bigger fan of his than me. But the 54-10 debacle and the getting out of the way of the interception returner turned me. That is when I knew he didn't have the heart to be a big time QB, no matter what his talent level was, which by the way, didn't turn out to be so great in game situations.

Maybe he has developed some maturity and courage since he left BYU. I hope he does well this year. I'll be checking up on him.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    March 6, 2013 8:47 a.m.

@toomixedupforyou "Chris B, you should be really high on Heaps because he literally gave you a 54-10 victory in Provo, all by himself. No wonder you like him sooooooo much."

Classic, no matter what the situation is cougie fan's have excuses. Every loss is either given to the other team, the refs fault, a player that shouldn't have been playing, coaching mistakes, etc. In the entire history of the Y the cougies have never lost a game because the other team is better in the eyes of most cougie fans.

54 - 10 and that was one guy's fault, right? Heaps was playing QB, RB, OL, D, and all the special teams, right? Also I'm sure you probably don't know this since you had a bag over your head walking to the car. Heaps didn't play the entire game Y fan's hero (at the time anyway) Riely Nelson came in and he was destroyed by our D even worse.

Stop making excuses and just give credit where credit is due for once. It's very poor sportsmanship not to give credit to the better team after a loss.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 6, 2013 9:55 a.m.

Good luck to Jake. Coach Weis was unable to win at ND with highly ranked players so he was fired. Kansas may have lesser opponents than ND had so he could succeed, but Kansas also does not have the offensive line, receivers or running backs that Weis had in South Bend. His 1-11 season was not a good omen and switching QBs may not be the only change needed.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    March 6, 2013 10:13 a.m.

Chris B -

Bottom dwellers love each other.

As for Heaps:

There are usually two things that motivate someone - they either see the light, or they feel the heat. In this case, Heaps felt the heat. It's do or die time for him. We'll see how this plays out. Good luck Heaps.

• Harry-T Davis, UT
    March 6, 2013 10:26 a.m.

I can't believe that the BYU coaching staff (Bronco and Doman) would allow Jake Heaps, a top recruit, to ride the bench behind Captain Chaos (R. Nelson) and eventually leave the program. Okay, Heaps may have not preformed the best during the beginning of the 2011 season; however whose fault was that? Doman didn't know what he was doing, and relied too heavily on Heaps to bail him out, and since his system was in chaos it could have only be lead by the captain himself. Look at the way he finished in 2010 behind Robert Anae's Offense, after Nelson was injured and Heaps was given the keys as the starting quarterback, his numbers were stealer. It’s too bad that we won't see Heaps play, in what would be his senior year, under a Robert Anae Offense that has identity and discipline. What a shame!

• That's A Good One Meridian, ID
    March 6, 2013 10:50 a.m.

The funniest reply to appear on the DesNews in response to the daily recycled Christy B comedy in a long time:

"You can really relate to the 1-11 stay-at-home-for-ALL-the-bowls experience, can't you?"

Well done 2smart4u, well done.

• MSA lehi, UT
    March 6, 2013 10:59 a.m.

There were definitely mistakes by out coaching staff with managing JH. I do wish him the best and think he has great potential to succeed. I'm not bitter in the fact he made the decision to leave. Obviously he struggled early in his sophomore year. Was it all his fault? Absolutely not. I would have loved to see him fight through his demotion and come out better for it. What was 100% his fault, was the decision to quit instead of fight through a tough situation. That is why I'm not bitter. No matter how many stars, I prefer having a tougher individual (with skills) lead my team.

• oldalum IDAHO FALLS, ID
    March 6, 2013 12:28 p.m.

Jake has more fans in his corner at Cougar Nation than he can imagine. To my recollection, he left the program without ever trashing the BYU coaching staff or the program. He is more than a football player, he is an ambassador for the Church, and a good kid. I wish him the very best.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 6, 2013 12:37 p.m.

Heaps would have been the top QB at the Y had Anae not left. Now we have Anae back but no Heaps. This was a huge mistake by Bronco getting rid of Anae and experimenting with Doman. Jake will be really good for Kansas as he was for BYU under Anae.

• DaveKnowsWhatsUp Bloomington, IN
    March 6, 2013 1:08 p.m.

Does anyone remember Daniel Bobik? The kid who transferred from BYU to play basketball at Oklahoma State who subsequently helped his team to the Final Four (after losing to BYU that year..). I was happy when Bobik left so I didn't have to watch him chunk up threes left and right, but I was even happier when he found a place where he fit and found high levels of success. I honestly hope Jake Heaps turns out like this. From everything I've heard, from people who actually know, he's a nice kid, has amazing talent, but for whatever reason didn't fit at BYU. People can cite his work ethic and heart, and there's probably some truth to that, but at this point, it's like a bad divorce and the past just doesn't really matter, I only hope the best for both parties. Good luck Heaps, and take it to the Longhorns!

And DesNews, please, enough on Heaps, if I want to know, I'll go look at the Kansas website.

• LouisD Las Vegas, NV
    March 6, 2013 1:27 p.m.

Heaps only STARTED nine games as a freshman. He was 6-3 as a starter that year. He also started 6 games as a sophomore, and was 4-2 with losses at Utah and Texas. While he didn't complete the USU game, he did start it and BYU won. In baseball, a win is a win if the pitcher goes five innings and Heaps did lead BYU to two scores. If anyone wants to fuss over that, then they also need to remember, Nelson came in cold against I believe Idaho and won that game 42-7. He left BYU as a guy who had a 13-6 lifetime record as a starter for BYU which is frankly, not bad given his career began as a true freshman, not a junior or RS sophomore like most prior starters at BYU.

• SteveOrr4576 Wayzata, MN
    March 6, 2013 1:32 p.m.

patriot - Anae decided to leave on his own.

But it would be interesting to see what Anae thought of the QB situation. I've read rumors that he was pulling for Heaps. I've read just as many rumors that he was pulling for Riley.

• Jim1027 St. George, UT
    March 6, 2013 1:49 p.m.

I can guarantee that Mendenhall will not put up with a lack of guts, and that's what Jake displayed at THAT time. Perhaps, he has developed some intestinal fortitude. Once Jake stepped out of the way of the deep six interceptor his fate was cast. Then, when you don't get the guys together for summer workouts, what do you expect?

I think he read too much in his own headlines! As I said, nobody wanted him to succeed more than I did.

His good qualities are that he throws a very good ball. Great velocity and pretty accurate.

The problem was that he was like a baseball pitcher with a 100 mph fastball and that's all he threw. If you watch the old film you'll see there was a ton of dropped passes because he was throwing 90 mph at 10 yards! Also, he wasn't that adept at reading the defense.

Now, these could be corrected if he hadn't quit. If you quit you can't win!

• scott Alpine, UT
    March 6, 2013 2:03 p.m.

patriot

"Heaps would have been the top QB at the Y had Anae not left."

For once we agree, although I think Anae left on his own accord.

Heaps' biggest issues were lack of competitiveness and not learning how to read defenses.

The play that will always epitomize Jake's career at BYU was the pick six he threw at Ole' Miss; the ball was intercepted near the goal line and Heaps was near the 20-yard line, yet Jake didn't make any attempt whatsoever to try to tackle the interceptor. Young, McMahon, Detmer, Nelson, Sarkisian would have done everything they could to make sure that defender didn't return one of their passes for a TD. Jake just stood there and did NOTHING!

I'll keep tabs on Jake and be happy for him if he does well, but it was his choice to stay or leave. Maybe he's matured during his redshirt year at Kansas and he's grown more competitive, but to me, leaving, instead of staying and fighting to win back his starting QB job, was just another sign of Jake's a lack of competitiveness.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    March 6, 2013 2:18 p.m.

Chris B
    Salt Lake City, UT

---

Just curious about the logic here. So, before Utah was invited, how was it that they were able to compete without BCS talent? Because they were invited, are they now competing with BCS talent? Was KWhitt magically transformed overnight into a BCS quality coach? What, is that done with a wand, or some sort of secret ceremony? Is Jake now a BCS quality QB because he is at a BCS school?

Has moving to a BCS conference improved the quality of Utah's basketball team?

I think three letters (BCS) have exacerbated the delusions on the hill. Maybe it's better for those kids like Chris. Maybe thinking you're better will make you better. Not going to a bowl, or any post-season tourneys leaves me wondering...

---

I wish Jake the best. He's a great kid and was fun to watch.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    March 6, 2013 2:50 p.m.

Finally a Y player gets to play in the Big XII.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    March 6, 2013 4:22 p.m.

There are practice phenoms, then there are playing phenoms. At BYU, we saw which one Jake was. He wasn't both.

He's a nice kid, and deserves to succeed. But, until he matures enough to become also a playing phenom (if that's possible), he won't be their starter for long.

Maybe BYU can get his team scheduled before he's done playing there. That'd be fun.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 6, 2013 5:24 p.m.

re:SteveOrr4576

As I recall there seemed to be some "rumored" hard feelings when Robert Anae left for Arizona but I may be wrong. What I do know is that Jake was growing fast under the Anae offense which consisted of the wide splits on the O-line and a precision offensive scheme which Beck, Hall and Heaps flourished under. Heaps is a drop back passer as was Beck and Hall and that is why all three jelled under the Anae offense. When Jake was thrown into the Domain offense he was upside down and never got the hang of it. Jake wasn't a read-option type QB as Doman wanted and trying to force that was a disaster. Jake has a great arm and at nearly 6'3" he is prime for the NFL if he has a couple of good years at Kansas in the Big12. He will certainly get the exposure opportunities.

• OCoug Ogden, UT
    March 6, 2013 6:00 p.m.

Good luck to Jake Heaps, I hope he does great at Kansas.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    March 6, 2013 7:13 p.m.

By the way - it wasn't the BYU coaching staff who caused Heaps to bail. Heaps left on his own accord for "greener pastures". So put the blame where it belongs.

• Ronald Uharriet SWun City, Ca.
    March 6, 2013 11:53 p.m.

I’m a Jake Heaps fan.
    I hope he get a Heisman Trophy this year with Kansas. I hope to watch as many of his
    games as possible. I think the wrong person(s) transfered. I wish Heaps would have stayed
    and those not capable of developing him would have been the one(s) to transfer.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 7, 2013 10:20 a.m.

re:Tom in CA

Heaps left because he was benched over an inferior Reily Nelson and because he didn't fit the run and boot Doman offense. If he were my son I would have told him to leave too. Now he gets a fresh start at a Big12 BCS school and is currently on top of the depth chart. BYU lost out BIG TIME.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    March 7, 2013 10:38 a.m.

So what? Jake Heaps head was so big as a freshman that his soph year could not have been more predictable as a bust. His pre-BYU press conference stating that he was going to the Y was an indicator that it was all about him.

Throwing in the inexperienced Brandon Doman and you had a recipe ripe for disaster. Heaps should have re-shirted his freshman year and been given time for the offensive coordinator to build an offense with him and his strengths in mind. That would have made Heaps successful at the Y. But as I said, it was all about him. Not the team.

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    March 7, 2013 6:03 p.m.

christy

So when a guy leaves Program Y to go to Program K, what volumes does that speak about the program he left?

For example, QB H was a highly-coveted quarterback in high school, with some sites ranking him among the top five in the nation. With QB R locking up the starting job last season, it should come as no surprise that QB M felt that he needed to leave the program to get time on the field.

Program Y = Notre Dame
    Program K = TBD
    QB H = Gunner Kiel
    QB M = Everett Golson and/or Tommy Rees

Sometimes things just don't work out.

• Mid West Ute South Jordan, UT
    March 7, 2013 8:06 p.m.

I love "Ronald" and 'Patriot"....and others who comment on Heaps playing this year. He has his name there so he feels good. There is another kid who was there last year who will walk all over the Heapster. Count your 10% on it!

• DodgerDoug Salem, UT
    March 8, 2013 1:26 a.m.

I wish Jake luck and hope he has a great two years but he is playing for Kansas and I am afraid it is going to be a bitter disappointment for him.

• Max for President Brighton, MA
    March 10, 2013 1:31 p.m.

Chris B

Side note: When a guy spends every waking minute in his mom's basement glued to her computer typing derogatory comments about a college ball club it speaks volumes about his social life.