High school boys basketball: Talon Shumway shines in No. 1 Lone Peak's 5A quarterfinal win over Davis

Comments

• Cougar11 Highland, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 8:11 p.m.

Congrats to the entire team. Keep it rolling and finish it out. Another shout out to Talon Shumway. The defensive stopper showed why he is in the top 10 LP scorers of all time. It's been fun watching you play both sports the last couple of years. Good luck at the next level son.

• Tiger25 Provo, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 8:57 p.m.

Talon Shumway is an amazing player that would be one of the best players if not the star at any other school. He's done a tremendous job in accepting his role as a role-player when he could've been doing so much more all this time.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Feb. 27, 2013 8:59 p.m.

Maybe another Kaufusi from the #2 or #3 position... BYU needs some consistant outside shooting in a very bad way.

• WhoCouldItBe Frisco, TX
    Feb. 27, 2013 9:32 p.m.

Next dual sport athlete at BYU?

• DHan Syracuse, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 10:00 p.m.

He was unconscious BUT scored anyway? Wow, that takes talent.

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 12:19 a.m.

Saw the game today and was very impressed. That lone peak team is the best I have ever seen. I expect them to breeze to the finals. Davis probably had the best chance to beat them although I was impressed with Brighton in the earlier game. I just think that Lone Peak is too tough this year and should win another title.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 7:23 a.m.

Go Lone Peak. You're doing a lot of great things for us and being great examples of what we stand for.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 7:47 a.m.

Number one football player in state!

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 7:48 a.m.

I can't wait to see these guys playing for the Cougars!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 8:05 a.m.

Talon has always had the ability to do this, he has simply accepted a role on the team that doesn't call for him to do it very often. He is the best athlete on that team, and it isn't even close. He would be the star anywhere else.

• Hegdehog Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 8:07 a.m.

I hope he gets the chance to try both sports at BYU. He'll be fun to watch!

• littlememe Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 11:21 a.m.

Hey, I cannot find this story in my Dnews this morning... did I miss something. There is a story about Lone Peak Football, not basketball. Where did it go?? Not in the Davis County edition??

• Duckhunted provo, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 11:32 a.m.

mmm the only aggressive player on lone peak is a football guy!!

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 12:11 p.m.

Hey, Ernest, you just may eat your sarcastic words. Shumway is probably the best all around athlete coming out of the state this year. How do I know? Coached against him in football. Watched him for the past 3 years, so you can choke on it when Ute players are eating the dust from his cleats whenever he gets to the field.

• Duckhunted provo, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 12:50 p.m.

You live in happy valley coach Biff...where unicorns are real..Shumway is another slow Utah County receiver/dback! Have you ever been out of Utah County?

• Duckhunted provo, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 1:15 p.m.

Cats,
    A great example of what you stand for like raising money to move families into your schools boundries? whoops that's footfall of course not our basketball boys?

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 5:25 p.m.

Coach Biff,

"so you can choke on it when Ute players are eating the dust from his cleats whenever he gets to the field."

I somehow wouldn't count on that if I was you.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 6:35 p.m.

@duckhunted and motortrike

I did coach Talon in both football and basketball for several years. He is the best ahtlete coming out of this state this year. He is big, tall, very fast, and he has a 40" vertical jump. He is an athletic freak.

Yes you are utah "fans" and he only had 3 stars, and he didn't go to utah, and all of the other things you guys whine about, but it doesn't change the fact he is the best athlete in the state. BYU got him and he will be giving the utes fits in the coming years. Prepare yourselves to just have to deal with it.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 6:33 p.m.

Noway coach Biff! He's number one fer sure.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 7:52 p.m.

The Lone Peak basketball team represents our state well (more than can be said for many of the posters in these comments!). Congrats to Lone Peak.

• joseywales Park City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 10:33 p.m.

I'm a Ute fan through and through, but I'll give credit where it's due. And this kid is the real deal. Why can't we be happy for a local kid to succeed no matter where he attends college? Last night was the first time I've personally viewed this team play, and they are freaks! Yes, in the best way.