BYU spring practice preview: Receivers

Comments

• Jim1027 St. George, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 12:48 p.m.

Since you're always the first to post we'll wait for your 'HIGHLIGHTS' from your receivers last year. I'm sure they set the PAC12 on fire and contributed mightily to your "winning record" and great "BOWL GAME" VICTORY. That led, I'm sure to depending SOLEY on Johnson to show his offensive prowess.

As Shakespeare said, "much ado about nothing."

• cougardevil TEMPE, AZ
    Feb. 27, 2013 12:56 p.m.

Brandon: "Apo will need to prove more *adept* in the short and intermediate passing game"

Nice piece. Hoping the O-line can protect for some more vertical passing options - helps keep the defense honest, opening up the short game.

• dutgut Saint George, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 1:02 p.m.

As we saw last year, it doesn't matter how good the receivers are if the QB can't throw! Hopefully there will be vast improvement in the QB this year or this season will be very very bad!

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Feb. 27, 2013 1:10 p.m.

I agree that with Anae coaching, Cody Hoffman returning and the hope that Ross Apo can reach his potential it could be a very exciting year for receivers!

It seems from the list of players that we have a lot of options, but it would have been nice to have a little more info on the players that we haven't regularly seen like Cody and Ross. For example - speed in the 40, who is explosive off the line, who has great hands, hard to tackle, etc. Maybe that isn't well known yet and we can get an update after spring ball?

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 1:30 p.m.

Our receivers are big and athletic. Since Hill is a much better passer than Riley, I expect our receivers to all have a great year. With our combination of QB and receivers, our point production this year should be vastly improved.

Both Hoffman and Apo should go early in next year's NFL draft.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 27, 2013 1:36 p.m.

@Chris B--

* BYU to a bowl game-not the utes
    * BYU had a winning record-not the utes
    * BYU beat Utah State--utes didn't
    * BYU had the third best defense--not the utes

I could go on, but you get the point. Comedians make me laugh.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Feb. 27, 2013 1:43 p.m.

BYU has had great TEs throughout the years, but I have to admit I was drooling with the likes of Holt, Mahina and Wilson coming in several years ago; mostly 4 stars.

None have come close to measuring up to Andrew George (2 stars) and Dennis Pitta (walk on) or Johnny Harline.

One more argument against starts and for real play.

I would love to see one of the TEs have a great out season. More short, intermediate passes to the TEs could lead to more down field passes for the WRs.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 1:52 p.m.

The word is "adept" not "adapt". And it is absurd redundancy to say "moving forward." It is always assumed that things will occur in the future. No one ever talks about "moving backward," so why this goofy redundancy of everyone saying "moving forward?" Take the "moving forward" out of any sentence and the meaning is perfectly clear. Again, does anyone on the planet speak in terms of "moving backward?"

• SCCougar LEXINGTON, SC
    Feb. 27, 2013 2:16 p.m.

dumprake: This is a sports article, not an English essay

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 2:57 p.m.

One word: Tons of speed & talent.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 3:53 p.m.

We'll be sending you roses in 10 months.

• Hatch Sandy, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 7:21 p.m.

Clearly our second national championship is all but in the books.

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 27, 2013 11:44 p.m.

Chris, glad to see you are going to take up gardening. It will keep you busy during the down time after the regular season when once again, you will be home watching BYU and Utah State participate in bowl games. That happens when you win the majority of your games and it is fun to participate in post season play. I do hope your team will get to try it again sometime soon.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Feb. 28, 2013 7:34 a.m.

Mildred and Bass (brother and sister),
    You can get off the same computer now and start doing something productive with your life.

Tell your cousin Hatch to get off your computer too.

Tell Chris to send yellow roses...a symbol of friendship since he is BYU's best friend. He'll have plenty of time in December as other teams prepare for bowls.

This team could be stellar with Anae back. They have loads and loads of talent and a great class coming in. If they can't get this team to win at least 8 games, there is something wrong with coaching. These guys can win..they are really good, they just need coaches to use their talent well.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 28, 2013 9:00 a.m.

Chris B--I'll buy you a steak dinner if that happens.

• UteJunky70 midvale, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 9:02 a.m.

I tell you what BYU fans make it very difficult to not get dragged down into the muck of the Utah, BYU rivalry fight. I try to stay above it but sometimes you just can't bite your tongue.

How can any rational person argue that there team is better then a team that has beaten them 8 of the last 11 times. A team that has won 13 of the last 20. A Ute team that has blown BYU off the field 3 times in the last 9 years, while not being blown out themselves since 1996.

How can any rational person bring up bowl games when we have won 10 of the last 11 BG's we've played in. When we have more bowl victories all-time then BYU in half as many tries. It is absolutely absurd to have to listen to.

Can anyone imagine what the rhetoric from BYU fans would be like if the numbers were actually in their favor.

So go ahead cougar fans pretending that the world is flat. We UTE fans will continue to live in a little place I like to call "Reality".

• GJ Greenwood, IN
    Feb. 28, 2013 9:48 a.m.

Utejunkey, I applaud your choice to live in reality, but it must really stink to do so as a Ute fan this year. Fortunately you can always fall back on your gymnastics team. Better luck next year with football and basketball.

• Gilmore in Milford Spanish Fork, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 10:08 a.m.

Watch out for the Utes this year, with our recruiting class we'll have the best team speed in the country.

• GD Syracuse, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 11:36 a.m.

Brett Thompson should be in there in place of Apo or any of the others

• JmThms Henderson, NV
    Feb. 28, 2013 11:55 a.m.

UteJunky70,

You say that you 'try to stay above the muck' in the BYU-Utah rivalry. But if that is true, why do you even get involved in BYU discussion threads? That proves to me that you indeed do not try to stay 'above the muck', but rather want to stir up muck along with Chris B and others. I for one have never been to a Utah Ute discussion forum or article thread. I have no desire. I care not what they are doing or saying. Why can't you and Chris B and others do the same? Why the incessant attention to all things BYU? Why the obsession? Isn't there enough interest in your team and school's programs? You would not get defensive comments from BYU fans if you wouldn't provoke them. I don't care about the university of Utah. I don't care about your athletic teams.

• LouisD Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 28, 2013 12:56 p.m.

I suspect sending BYU Roses won't make up for so many lame comments ChrissyB. You certainly wont see much of the Rose Bowl except when Utah plays my Bruins in Pasadena.

• UteJunky70 midvale, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 1:06 p.m.

@JmThms

I explained yesterday why I comment on your team. I'm a football fanatic. I have every right to comment on a BYU football program that I have respected and followed since the days of Gifford Neilson and Jim McMahon. I was as big a fan of Lavell Edwards as any cougar fan. My philosophy is you have to respect your opponent in order to truly enjoy beating them. That's what makes It meaningful.

I've probably watched as many BYU games over the last 30 years as any BYU fan. Granted I'm watching for a different reason. However I still have great respect for the young men down there and their character.

I will say I have never detected any level of respect from BYU fans toward my UTES. Especially cougar fans like you, based on your post. The nature of the best rivalries is that you want to see your team win and their team lose. Indifference is not an option. Therefore I dismiss your statement that you don't care about the UTES.

• Res Novae Ashburn, VA
    Feb. 28, 2013 1:48 p.m.

"I tell you what BYU fans make it very difficult to not get dragged down into the muck of the Utah, BYU rivalry fight."

Says the guy who showed up in the comments to a BYU article randomly responding to imaginary comments about head-to-heads and bowl games that no one was talking about here.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Feb. 28, 2013 5:32 p.m.

There have been a couple of years when Utah was clearly the better team and blew BYU out. Many of the other recent Utah wins, however, were more due to BYU being stupid than Utah being better. I will say there was even one year when a horrible call by the officiating crew allowed Utah a chance to win that they should not have had; and they capitalized on it. BYU still had a chance to win that game, however, and allowed a guy to go 100% unblocked; and he ended up blocking a field goal to cement Utah's win.

No, Utah hasn't been the better team. They have, however, been the more disciplined team; which has been the difference.

In two recent games where BYU has been able to beat Utah, the Tight Ends have made a huge difference. We all remember Harline, who is still wide open. We also remember George splitting two defenders. IMO, the lack of a true TE presence is what BYU has been really missing the last few seasons. If Anae can get that back, the BYU offense will once again put up points. And Apo will get his shots.

• Down under Pullman, WA
    Feb. 28, 2013 5:44 p.m.

UteJunky,
    More like "Reality TV" sometimes called fantasy. By the way, it's not real just so you know. Enjoy your Utah "Reality"
    Reality is that BYU went bowling last year and Utah did not unless it was in your fantasy world.

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    March 1, 2013 12:35 a.m.

I like this group of receivers. Now if we can only find a QB who can find them and trust them all. Hoffman is a great receiver and will have a big year. Ryley Nelson thought Hoffman was the only receiver on the field. If he wouldn't have locked on Cody so much, he may not be just an afterthought as a BYU QB. There are up to 5 receivers in the pattern at any given time, and a QB who doesn't have happy feet can be a very successful passer if he goes through his progressions. Hope Tysom Hill is ready to roll.

• North Guy Corinne, UT
    March 1, 2013 7:41 a.m.

Jm Thms

Finally someone speaks out what I as a BYU fan believe wholeheartedly, UTE fans read and post on Utah sports. Good Luck to Utah State, Utah, BYU, and Weber State.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    March 2, 2013 1:15 p.m.

Anybody else still confused about why Mendenhall got rid of Cahoon?

Makes. Absolutely. NO. Sense. To. Me.

Cahoon was THE leading receiver in the entire CFL (he knows what it takes to catch a football) and our receivers improved big-time under his coaching; going from butter-fingers in 2011 to consistent, impressive ball-catchers in 2012. (Just watch Cody Hoffman's highlights.)

So....we get ride of him?

I'd really like to know why Mendenhall did that. If it was just because Anae didn't know the guy, I would have said, "Tough. Get to know him. He stays."

GO COUGARS!