Family

Dumbing down Dad: How media present husbands, fathers as useless

Comments

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 9:29 a.m.

We all do it. Like I tell my grown daughters, "Honor and respect your husbands, but only if they are following the Lord."
    Now where did I learn that?
    Of course, she gets to decide when his judgment is righteous.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 9:36 a.m.

Substance. The guy that is gone to work to bring home the bread. The guy who is gone because the car needs repair. the guy that is gone to fix the sink or something that is broke. the guy that is tired sitting on the couch trying to get all the stuff at work off his mind. The guy that has the substance in himself to do his best every day and only he knows what it took. When the only answer that you get from him is fine. That's because that's what it is to him.

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 9:34 a.m.

A direct result of the Feminist movement. Very sad indeed.

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 9:41 a.m.

As a father or four, I have felt this way for a long time. Just a continuing march from the Feminist side that fathers are optional.

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    Feb. 27, 2013 9:54 a.m.

Article quote: "It's not hard to find. If you watch TV, then you've most likely witnessed the portrayal of the modern-day husband and father as lazy, incompetent and stupid."

Man, that is so true!

I make danged sure my kids know my successes, abilities and abilities. No, not to brag, but to make sure my kids know I'm not a moron of a dad like they so often see portrayed
    on TV. One of the ways I make sure my kids treat me with respect is I don't let them call me (or their mom) "guys". It slips out from them from time to time.

Nope.

"Guys" is a term used when one is speaking to their peers. I love my kids but I am not a "peer", I am their dad.

I'm an adult with a child who is 20 years old and I STILL don't call my mom and dad "guys" either in their presence or when I'm away from them.

Parents deserve our respect. Period.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 9:57 a.m.

Disney Dads, if they exist, are mostly clueless or bumbling. And don't forget that even before many of the teevee series the kids book series Berstein Bears... the dad was always the one who never followed his own rules.

• Gadfly Smyrna, TN
    Feb. 27, 2013 10:01 a.m.

I agree basically with everything except that it is a direct result of the feminist movement. ImaUteFan should have read a bit closer and noticed that several of the positive images mentioned in the article were post-feminism. the real problem that I see though isn't just that dads are seen as dumb but that families in general are now being presented as increasingly dysfunctional. The dumb dad image was just the beginning.
    To be fair though, while Ward Cleaver was the perfect dad, what about June Cleaver. She was presented, like all housewives in the early days oof television, as being good for nothing except having babies and keeping house. Some, like Lucille Ball and Connie Stevens, were seen as out and out airheads. In the case of comedies with positive parent images, they were usually single parents like Eddie's Father or Dianah. Perhaps this explains the turnabout as women have tried to reassert their value in society. What we truly need are good shows that present a realistic if not always ideal image of men and women as mature adults who can still be funny.

• Hunam Layton, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 10:08 a.m.

Many of the stereotypes are due to a curse we brought on ourselves.

I know a lot of men who exploit the stereotype that they cannot take care of their own children, and go off to play basketball, pursue hobbies, or golf on the weekends, without a second thought about what the rest of the family is doing.

That's mom's job. Then they wonder why mom's upset.

At church, I often volunteer to watch kids at the nursery for my wife when there's a Relief Society activity, and often moms come with their kids, even though I know the husband is home. Somehow the husband has trained his wife that he cannot be entrusted to care for the kids so she takes them to a nursery over their own dad.

It's not a death sentence to watch your own kids--or even the kids of another person. But that's another evil. Men aren't trusted to watch children alone in the church, because of the potential molestation threat... kinda sad that we think of a man as just as likely to molest a child as care for it.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Feb. 27, 2013 10:13 a.m.

@ Gadfly -

So June Cleaver was presented as being "good for nothing" except having babies and keeping the home clean?

First, where would we be without women who have babies? Indeed, where would YOU be?

Second, what's wrong or bad about keeping a house clean? YOU may choose to live in a filthy home but I'll make sure I don't come and visit you.

Third, what about the unconditional love that her character showered on her children? Gues that doesn't count for anything, huh?

And, yes, the 'dumbed-down' dad actually IS a result of the feminist movement. The feminist movement was ALL about 'women are strong and don't need a man because men have nothing to contribute that we need'.

Did you catch that?...'men have nothing that we need' and therefore by default, are judged to be clueless idiots.

• johnnylingo62 Gray, TN
    Feb. 27, 2013 10:54 a.m.

This is definitely a Disney issue - I don't know how many movies and TV shows that Disney produces have either no dad in the house, or a widower that re-marries poorly, or the dad is clueless about life and family. The other thing that grinds me is the incessant laugh track for every line spoken on a Disney's kid show - it's like everything the actors say is "Funny", every single line...
    Until the reality of the dilemma of single-parent families is addressed, our society as a whole will suffer. Adults need to be prepared for unselfish lifestyles BEFORE they get married and become parents. And fathers need to stick around to be a positive role model for their children, and mothers need to be partners with their husbands and work together in meaningful roles that each family circumstance requires through the various and different periods throughout their lives. This is not to say that single parents are "bad", but their is an epidemic of children growing up in single-parent homes and 40% of babies are born to unwed mothers. This is a core family emergency, and dumbing down the role of "Father" doesn't help.

• teachermom6 Northern Utah, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 11:01 a.m.

I have noticed the portrayal of men on television is horrible, this is why I haven't watched a sitcom in decades. Why can't men be portrayed more like the Charles Ingall's type: tough, caring, and as important to the family as his wife Caroline. Men and women each play an important role in a well functioning family.
    As a teacher, for the most part, the homes where there are two parents who love their children and take good care of them, bring forth the best students in the classroom. A father who is active in his child's life, actually is a huge advantage in school. Sure moms make sure the child's "to do" list is done (i.e. homework,reading logs, etc.); however, in my experience it is the dad that ensures proper behavior!
    As a wife of an wonderful man, I feel blessed everyday to work side by side with such a humble,caring,leader of our home. Who my children feel is a force to be reckoned with, instead of the dufus dads often found on the T.V. screen.

• Gadfly Smyrna, TN
    Feb. 27, 2013 11:08 a.m.

So BleedCougarBlue, you certainly seem to be able to read things that I didn't write. I never said all those things were bad. I just think June Cleaver was capable of that and more. Where would I be? Actually my mother was somewhat of a feminist before anyone ever hear of feminism. She knew her mind and spoke out on public issues whenever she felt like it no matter how many men, including my father, disagreed. She voted according to her choice. She was Democrat of all things, even though she married a Republican. She also sacrificed her health to give birth to my brother and me. She kept a clean house, usually with little help from her all male family. She gave us all unconditional love. She also worked outside the home to help support us when the Vietnamese War took her husband away and split the family income between two countries every other year. She stood by her husband for 52 years before her death. Yes, where would I be without such a great example of womanhood.

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    Feb. 27, 2013 11:08 a.m.

Oh Boo-hoo. My self esteem is shattered because some sitcoms portray Husbands/Fathers as Buffoons. NOT !. I as kid in the 60's and 70's we had all sorts of positive Father figures on T.V. To name a few we had Fred MacMurray in "My Three Sons", We had Ben Cartwright on Bonanza. Gomez Addams in the Addams Family; He really did love his Mortica, didn't he? Ozzie and Harriet, never figured out what Ozzie did for a living. The Waltons.

Apparently, the author has low regard for T.V. viewers in that we can't seem to distinguish between comedies and dramas or real-life for that matter. Would that more of us had Fathers like J.R. Ewing. America's Oil problem would have been minimized and in that perfect world not had two wars that our sons and daughters had to bleed in.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 11:13 a.m.

@BleedCougarBlue
    Actually, if you watch June she was as shrewd as they come. She got what she wanted. Eddy Haskel didn't fool her one bit. Ward did all the dirty work.
    That's far from being a dumb blonde.

• m.g. scott LAYTON, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 11:15 a.m.

I see politics in just about everything, (even the Academy Awards believe it or not), and this "useless dad" business is todays liberal politics called "The New Normal". It is known that single women and single moms are much more likely to be Democrat. Married women much less so. Therefore, married women and intact families are a threat to the Democrat Party. Hollywood, one of the Democrats major media arms, helps to promote the single woman and mom as being the best way to go. Like I said, I see politics in everything.

• Gadfly Smyrna, TN
    Feb. 27, 2013 11:24 a.m.

Now let's consider some other great male role models from the "Golden Age" of television. How about Ralph Kramden, the wife abuser. (You are going to the moon Alice he says with clenched fist). Tony Nelson (How did anyone that dumb ever get to be a major?) The same for Darren Stevens. (He became a top notch advertising executive despite his mental inadequacy) Or Gomez Addams and Herman Munster??? OK, those two aren't fair examples. They are just being played outrageously for comic effect. But isn't that what all of them were doing? There were dumb dads before feminism and the stereotype got worse after but it was all for comic effect. I am not saying that it is good. But I am concerned when narrow minded people choose to ignore all sides of the story, especially when they center on one stereotype (Dan Conner is a good example) and forget the dysfunctional members of the rest of the family (Roseanne). Why does BleedCougarBlue completely ignore my comment about the greater problem of the dysfunctional family stereotype?

• Gadfly Smyrna, TN
    Feb. 27, 2013 11:27 a.m.

Say No to BO
    Good point.

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 11:29 a.m.

How often do you hear over the pulpit at our church meetings, regardless of faith, the leaders railing on fathers while at the same time praising mothers and women in general?

Answer: very often

How often do you hear over the pulpit at our church meetings, regardless of faith, the leaders railing on mothers?

Answer: never

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    Feb. 27, 2013 11:41 a.m.

I used to see women with bumperstickers on their cars which said "A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle." I found it interesting that nearly all of those women were upper middle class and white. On the other hand, try telling that to inner-city teenagers who get involved in gangs, drugs, crime, and drop out of school because, all to often, they do not have an active male role model in their lives. I was a single father, raising my children alone for some 18 years. I was able to give them an example of a purposeful, constructive life. To a large extent, this example has "rubbed off" on them.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Feb. 27, 2013 11:50 a.m.

This is part of the feminist movement.
    On a side note, would I rather be compared to Tim Allen, or Steve jobs?
    I will take Tim all day.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Feb. 27, 2013 12:11 p.m.

Most of the Dads I've known, let's say over 50%, are useless and lazy at home.
    They can't or won't fix things. Operating a "skill saw" is as no different than brain surgery and hanging sheetrock is simply out of the question.
    I know and have spent a lot of time with very capable men. Most of them are constantly helping "neighbors" who are clueless.
    I personally think the media takes a pretty "soft" approach to how most husbands/fathers behave in their homes. They me sensation at their temporal positions, wonderful obedient church goers but heaven forbid they pick up a hammer, change the filter on the lawn mover or remove a broken sprinkler head.

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 12:23 p.m.

@BleedCougarBlue - thanks for backing me up on my feminist movement comment.

Proves that Utes and Cougars can think alike!

• Fred T PHOENIX, AZ
    Feb. 27, 2013 12:37 p.m.

The article misleads by saying "idealized white American family"
    The families on TV were white, but they represented an idealized American family, period.
    When Bill Cosby's show aired, was he portraying himself as a "white family".
    Using "white" in the sentence shows bias. Why does the reporter think black families aren't like those potrayed on Leave it to Beaver? Racist stereotypes? Indoctrinated views?

• SugarCoated HEBER CITY, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 12:50 p.m.

I am a feminist. I will fight HARD for equal rights and opportunities for both men and women. Portraying men as helpless idiots without women is just as wrong as portraying a woman as a helpless idiot without a man.

I suppose some feminists might be interested in putting men down, but this feminist will never be interested in something so harmful. I hope we as a society make some changes, and we support ALL people and respect ALL people.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 12:54 p.m.

To "Thinkman" you are wrong. Go back to the general confrences of the LDS church. Their have been many talks given reminding women of their duties, and some have even go so far as to remind them to treat their husbands kindly.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 1:05 p.m.

Every now and again, I'll remind my kids, spouse, or anyone else to whom it is necessary that I am capable of and willing to do many things, albeit almost always differently. I run a business and manage households in 2 nations. I'm a man; every now and again I do something silly or stupid (usually deliberately). But I get stuff done, and I get results.

• John20000 Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 1:03 p.m.

"The Cosby Show" had a pretty good model of a good marriage and a capable dad, but that show was exceptional in lots of ways.

• bikeboy Boise, ID
    Feb. 27, 2013 1:09 p.m.

It's a blessing for children to have an active positive male role model in their lives. (I grew up in a household where Dad was VERY busy working long hours, but I loved when he was home, and in retrospect it's amazing how much of his "left-over" time was spent in his family duties. None of us ever felt neglected.)

It's indeed a sobering thought to consider that some kids get their views of fatherhood, masculinity, etc. from TV and movie characters. But that's probably the harsh reality. (Likewise there are certainly plenty of FEMALE characters on TV and in the movies, that I hope my daughters and granddaughters wouldn't select as role models!)

It reinforces the doctrine that children are most likely to do best when raised by both a father and mother!

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 1:10 p.m.

This is primarily used for comedy, which has always been done. The reason that it works is because people know that fathers are important, but make mistakes like everyone else. People were tired of the perfect family being portrayed on TV. Instead of the same boring portrayal of dad as the all knowing figure in the family (which any parent will tell you that they do NOT in fact have all of the answers), they are portrayed as what not to be like. Do you really think that Homer Simpson is portrayed as the ideal man? Quite the opposite. As someone else pointed out, some people are just intelligent enough to know that TV is for entertainment, not to build your family around the image.

On a different note, the sentiment found in this article is one that I find disturbing in our society. The most privileged people in our society (white males) crying foul that they no longer have the advantages that they once did. "Why can't it be like it used to be?" Because it used to be horrible for anyone other than white males.

• CWJ Layton, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 1:24 p.m.

How about a portrayal of the dad that loves his wife and children, and has done everything that he knows to be right, but works at a dead end job full of stress, only to come home from work each day to a house that is qualified for FEMA, and does his own car repairs, volunteers to coach Little League, and has hardly any time for himself.

That wouldn't sell in Hollywood.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 1:28 p.m.

@Gadfly
    When did post-feminism happen?
    Man bad/woman victim is an ongoing theme of left wing politics: i.e. deliberately manipulating the "violence against women act" to make it partisan (after two decades of bi-partisan support) so that Democrats can forward a phony "war on women" meme
    (When feminists demand equality, while simultaneously feigning victimhood when not receiving preference - instead of grasping the obvious fact that men and women are NOT the same, and cannot fairly be treated the same - they become the bully they claim to despise)
    Demonizing men has always been a byproduct of feminist dogma - one cannot gain the passive/aggressive power of victimhood without having a perpetrator to blame - and if feminists need more power; it is enticing to move beyond legitimate concerns and start making up reasons to be a faux victim in order to increase that power.
    Fortunately; Feminists do not represent all women any more than Homer Simpson represents all men

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Feb. 27, 2013 1:31 p.m.

This leads to a familiar question about whether popular culture is forming attitudes about gender roles or reflecting what is already in society.

Those who study media find it alarming how women are portrayed - particularly in commercials. Does this create expectations for the workplace? I frequently hear the complaint that men only need to show they are qualified when they apply for work, while women feel they have to demonstrate that they are good-looking first and foremost.

It also seems that kids in sitcoms are wisecracking adorable children with few real problems. Does this set up false expectations?

We should also keep in mind that these stereotypes thrive because they are popular. So why do we WANT dads to act like dunderheads in popular culture? That is the real question here.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 2:06 p.m.

@m.g. scott

What a paranoid and stressful world you must live in. Not everything is a conspiracy theory you know. Try coming back to reality.

• Spitvalve Denton, TX
    Feb. 27, 2013 2:03 p.m.

I miss Robert Young and Fred MacMurray.

• LunchBoy DRAPER, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 2:11 p.m.

It's extremely simple: stupid people are funny to watch, and most men don't take offense at seeing their gender portrayed as stupid. Hence, men on TV tend to be stupid.

• Milton Orem, Utah
    Feb. 27, 2013 2:28 p.m.

It's really sad with the way that Dads are treated, especially in custody issues!

• George Bronx, NY
    Feb. 27, 2013 3:17 p.m.

Back when I was a kid...... oh wait it was no different. seriously look at some of the old movies from the 20's and 30's this is nothing new other then we have gotten old and nostalgic just like our parents did and their parents before them. the world really is not falling apart.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 3:20 p.m.

As a husband, I don't particularly like the way TV fathers are portrayed, but remember that successful TV shows like "The Simpsons" "Everybody Loves Raymond" and "Family Guy" are so much more than just everyone sitting around, watching Dad make a fool of himself.

I remember my mother-in-law telling me once how she hated the character of Marie on "Everybody Loves Raymond" because it portrays mothers-in-law and grandmothers as excessivley nosy, critical and selfish.

The beginning of the article talked about how the focus group in question did not ever have a teenage boy babysit for them, but I think little of this has to do with the portrayal of dads on TV. Often its more the stereotype that feeding and taking care of little kids is unmanly and shows weakness.

Recently at the hotel I work at, a mom and dad were busy grabbing their luggage and I found myself chatting with the two year old girl for a few minutes. When the parents got back the mother said, "I'm surprised you had the patience to deal with her."

I replied, "I have six younger siblings."

• dorthypacker1 West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 3:43 p.m.

Great article! I agree with everything you said. Keep up the good work!

• JanSan Pocatello, ID
    Feb. 27, 2013 4:18 p.m.

@ Thinkman
    I am a woman in my late years and I cannot ever remember hearing a leader railing on the men over the pulpit. I have heard of talks where the leaders are concerned about too many fathers leaving the home or working too many hours. I think it was their opinion that they were also needed in the home to be fathers.

As far as mothers go - you may not hear it so much, but what do you think most of our RS lessons are about? To teach us to be better wife's and mothers and sometimes the women can be really hard on themselves in there.

I am SO THANKFUL that I had a great father! He was not perfect, but I always knew that he loved me and was grateful that I was his daughter. Fathers are so important to the home! I know--- being a divorced woman, just how much the father is needed in the home for so many different reasons. God bless you Honorable Fathers! Wish there were more of you out there.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 7:35 p.m.

When I read articles like this, I wonder what world the Dnews is living in. I have noticed that people of a certain political persuasion have the need to invent a boogy man in order to keep that persecution complex going.
    This article is the perfect example of that

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 8:50 p.m.

re: John20000 1:03 p.m. Feb. 27

If there is such a thing as the *typical* American Family; it lies somewhere between the Bundy's & Huxtable's... but that is just my opinion

TV is entertainment & art imitating life. People who believe the media is engaged in some kind of social engineering need to get a life.

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 8:58 p.m.

re: Ernest T 2/27

Agreed.

What would social conservatives be w/o the need to go on a Don Quixote like crusade? answer: tolerable

• Jack Aurora, CO
    Feb. 27, 2013 10:15 p.m.

Let me point the discussion back to where it started. Men need to be men: providers, defenders, head of the household who honor and respect their wives. TV and movies portray men as the article says, and it gives some the excuse they need to slack off. Back when, a man needed to prove himself or be thought by other men to be unworthy. Now, there is no incentive to prove oneself since no pride or honor is at stake. That has been taken away by the modern thought of "men are not needed". Well,pop culture addicted world, you got what you wished for. Men get the message that they aren't expected to do anything but slack off, so that's what they do. They don't fulfill roles as fathers, husbands and gentlemen because it isn't in style anymore. Wonder why men don't step up? There's your answer....and yes, the LDS Church leaders have taken men to task for not doing what they are supposed to do. General Priesthood Meeting is often the arena where it happens.

Step up to the plate men!!!

• Rural sport fan DUCHESNE, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 10:50 p.m.

"I remain optimistic that family still has more influence than media," Kelly said.

Sadly, the author appears to not understand that only about 50% of American youth live in a traditional "family", the other half is "the New Normal", and a large percentage of both groups spend FAR more time in touch with peers in person or via social media than with any real human role model outside their own age group.

• Ironhide Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 11:07 p.m.

Ernest T and Hank,

So you're saying that the portrayal of dumb dad's isn't real and doesn't impact the way society sterotypes dads? While I agree that some conservatives are whiny and picked on, speaking for an entire movement that is not your own is weak and only discredits your comments.

There are men who fit the sterotype sitcoms portray. But as usual, there are those who take the minority of any group and rap up an entire race, gender, religion, political party, movement, into one as if they all behave that way, all believe that way, all support and standardize the expressions of the extremists. Can we grow up A LOT please? Immaturity and lack of emotional control is rampid among opinions. Have an opinion. Share an opinion. But learn to deal with other opinions without condescension, arrogance, biting sarcasm and disrespect. Then maybe someone would care to listen.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 12:40 p.m.

re: Ironhide

Its okay for conservatives to proactively engage in histrionics and amateur theatrics but a little sarcasm is uncalled for? REALLY!?

"So you're saying that the portrayal of dumb dad's isn't real and doesn't impact the way society stereotypes dads?"... "There are men who fit the sterotype sitcoms portray"

Art imitates life. Homer Simpson & Peter Griffin are based on a person or several individuals. I have yet to see their actual flesh and blood doppelganger. Let me know when you do, okay?

• luv2organize Gainesville, VA
    Feb. 28, 2013 2:08 p.m.

I don't let my kids watch much TV. Show like I-Carly (not sure if it is still around) and others are just disturbing! I think most of the shows (for kids and adults) dumb down both mom and dad and devalue the nuclear family.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Feb. 28, 2013 2:16 p.m.

Thinkman
    Provo, UT

Answer: very often

Answer: never

11:29 a.m. Feb. 27, 2013

===========

Agreed!

I've noticed the same disparity.

I've seen friends and family members walk away from OK marriages simply because they weren't yet "PERFECT" and could never live up to all the unreal expectations.

Ward Cleaver had a June Cleaver.

But somehow -- some women expect the Ward Cleaver to their endless nagging and henpicking as being A-OK

• LDissel Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 9:23 p.m.

I have also noticed this disturbing trend in television. It is terrible that men are lowering their expectations of themselves and women are expecting to teach their husbands, boyfriends, and brothers how to care for a child.
    However, in defense of television, there are a few shows that are almost a throwback to the "Cosby" days. Two of note are "Last Man Standing" and "Guys With Kids." The former is new Tim Allen comedy about a man with three daughters, and a grandson. He is shown to be a loving father who tries to understand his daughters and support them in their decisions. Some of those decisions he does not like.
    "Guys With Kids" shows three sets of friends who show three different family dynamics. All three are loving fathers who fulfill a great role in their children's lives who are shown to be equal to their wives in terms of general stupidity.
    These shows are no where near where they should be in creating an ideal family dynamic, nor are they as popular as the "Simpsons" and "Family Guy," but they are a step in the right direction.

• zabivka Orem, UT
    March 3, 2013 9:00 a.m.

I don't see how this is part of the feminist movement. Every feminist that I know would actually support the notion that a man could capably handle a non-traditional role in his family, such as being a stay-at-home parent.

If anything, I would say that many of the TV ads that show men as incompetent in the home are just pandering to the mothers who are at home watching the ads. The "Peter Griffin" stereotype in television shows, on the other hand, is simply an exaggeration of some of the behavior that working men espouse in order to avoid doing extra work at home. Men love to laugh at themselves. Ever notice that the way men say "I love you" to their friends is to dish out a well-placed insult?