Teeples: No one can argue that changing BYU's colors has not been a business success

Comments

• LouisD Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 25, 2013 10:12 a.m.

Ryan:

Color change ideas are a matter of opinion, marketing and taste. While I am not sure one can call the "tan" a "tan" (it was really close to gold), I do think it is unwise to assume words like nobody and everybody feels a certain way about anything. Personally, I always hated the Royal pansy blue. It wasn't azure or electric enough to look cool like UCLA's awesome scheme; and it was not hard enough like a NAVY which projects "solid immovable defense."

The dark blue, gold and white, which is what it really was, said power. The bibs said, they consulted the wrong designer after getting the right colors for the first time in 10 decades. But those are my opinions and not necessarily shared by everyone. I even read one person say they liked the bibs. She was the mother of a player, go figure. My point is, if you asked NOTRE DAME FANS how they feel about that dark blue and gold, they will tell you it's manly. Like me, they love it! Looking like Penn State is ok. But looking like Notre Dame would have been much better, especially being independent!

• Go Utes! Springville, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 10:14 a.m.

So, we go from a series of four articles exploring a conference invitation that never existed to a series of 2 articles about a different shade of blue?

I am sorry to say as a Utah fan i feel rather neglected by the Deseret News sports page.

• freedom in 2017 paradise, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 10:15 a.m.

I like the royal blue, but one question. Having graduated from Utah, what is their offical color. It used to be Crimson and white. Now all I see is black and a little red. I know whittingham wants the slimming visual effect of black for himself, but black is used by lots of teams. Can't whit just wear black and let the team wear ccrimson?

• Stgeorgebyu St. Georg, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 10:33 a.m.

As Coug fan I love the black that the Utes brought in. It makes the crimson pop! I loved it when BYU went with the black and royal blue this year, I bought a few things and love them. Hey if gets people like gullible me to buy the stuff then it works.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 10:39 a.m.

Go Utes!

It's off season, signing day just ended, spring football is still weeks away, so why not discuss mundane topics like the ever-shifting sands of conference re-alignment and uniforms.

btw, did anyone see the pic of the hideous new helmets OSU is considering?

• Blue Rampage Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 10:37 a.m.

The BYU Football "Teletubbies" uniforms were a horrific start Nike's redesigning of uniforms throughout college sports. It didn't take long to ditch the Teletubbies look and Bronco's move back to tradition did good things for merchandising but it hasn't been a full turnaround.

Let me suggest that the reason for the lack of support by the fan base is something different. Even in Navy blue, BYU still struggles to sell apparel. Look at University of Kentucky and North Carolina. UK's blue is close to BYU's old color and NC is powder blue. Yet those teams sell as much gear to fans as almost any school in the country, and that's 90% basketball.

So what causes BYU fans to be so cheap and unenthusiastic about wearing school colors? Go to an Oklahoma, Nebraska, Michigan, Alabama or LSU game and look for anybody NOT wearing colors. And, as much as I hate to say this, when it comes to outward fan support, the Utes put BYU to shame.

There is something else in the culture of cheapness that keeps this fan base from buying licensed gear. Apparently, the research has yet to scratch the surface.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Feb. 25, 2013 10:43 a.m.

Honestly, I liked the Royal Blue and the winning teams back in the day. If it were a choice between having a more popular type of color the fans would like with a mediocre team or a dominant winning team with less popular colors, give me the latter.

How about this for an idea my son came up with - Royal Blue uniforms on Homecoming and Black uniforms another time. The rest of the time they could wear the current uniforms.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 10:44 a.m.

@GoUtes

As a U fan, you should try to get your school to figure out what the color Crimson actually looks like.

Because, up until now, Utah teams have "Never" worn it.

See Oklahoma, Alabama etc. they wear Crimson.

Utah wears Nebraska Red.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 25, 2013 10:48 a.m.

freedom in 2017:

"I like the royal blue, but one question. Having graduated from Utah, what is their offical color."

Our official colors are Crimson and White, with black accent. Personally, I like the blackout uniforms. What I'd like to see is the Utes finally play in "Crimson". What we've been wearing all these years is more "Scarlett". If we were a true "Crimson", our red would look more like what you see at Indiana, Oklahoma, or Alabama. Even Stanford's "Cardinal" is closer to "Crimson" that what we've been wearing. The scarlett would look good as an accent on our blaokout uniforms, but for our other Home games, we need to sport the true crimson.

Go Utes!

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 10:58 a.m.

@Blue (U) Rampage

What's with the Strawman?

Nowhere in this article does it say that BYU's merchandising of the new colors and logo hasn't been a success. In fact, it states just the opposite.

You only used your false premise to take a shot at BYU fan's frugality.

I attend games and I see the new colors all over the place.
    You can't even walk into he Cougar Den on game day. It's packed.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 11:02 a.m.

I like the traditional style and think occasionally changing it up with the black uni's BYU wore last season is fun and really though that black uni looked good. Occasionally wearing royal would be cool as well.

I really like utah's black uniforms with the red highlights and red helmet, the colors stand out and look really cool, I didn't like the ones they wore this year that looked like the Chicago Bears uni's and thought those camo ones were hideous.

• IRS Agent PROVO, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 11:04 a.m.

@ Go Utes,

So, is it insecurity or real interest that keeps bringing you to read every BYU related article?

• dww722 North Salt Lake, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 11:42 a.m.

They should have kept royal blue. That's what the greatest moments in BYU history were played in and that's where it should stay. Hasn't been the same since the change. Can you say jinx??

Btw, trivial as it is, go back to 2 stripes on the pants. Matches the helmet stripe and is a much better look. Just sayin.

• wyoute Worland, WY
    Feb. 25, 2013 12:39 p.m.

I agree with Bluto. We don't wear crimson, and really like crimson, though the tides are a little dark for true crimson. I think sooners may be the closest.

• sky2k1 Provo, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 12:39 p.m.

I personally am a fan of the royal blue, and BYU still has the problem of looking like skittles at the football game. It's pathetic. Too many people want to be unique and don't want to wear the colors, be it royal or navy blue. I love BYU, but I'm ashamed of the majority of our fan base.

• bribri86 Phoenix, AZ
    Feb. 25, 2013 12:53 p.m.

In other words...Since there isn't any real sporting news coming from the major universities of the State of Utah (i.e. winning basketball games/going to be going to the NCAA tourney), we get this article.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 25, 2013 12:57 p.m.

Bluto:

"This notion that Utah outsells BYU merchandise is just more propaganda from the insecure Bottomfeeders of East Salt lake.."

Actually, your insinuation that we do NOT is just more propaganda from the insecure fans of an irrelevant school that no elite conference wanted. According to the Collegiate Licensing Company, Utah ranked #40 (1 spot ahead of Stanford) over the LAST fiscal year. The cougars ranked #51. According to the Collegiate Licensing Company, Utah ranked #25 (2 spots ahead of UCLA) in the 1st Qtr of THIS fiscal year. The cougars were #47.

Case closed Bluto. You were wrong.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 2:24 p.m.

@Naval Vet
    Please see comment by IRS Agent

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 2:30 p.m.

Really, Ryan? "It was gear that spawned BYU’s worst football seasons since Richard Nixon was in the White House."

The gear was the problem all along and not the coaching, players, or competition? If that's true then how come UCLA was so successful wearing that awful blue sack-of-a jersey with numbers only Keith Jackson could relate to; the golden ones?

Personally, I liked the bit of tan on the uniforms and the blue helmets. Dark blue is much easier on the eyes when wearing around town, much preferable to red, or green, or purple, etc. However, red is much more impressive in the stadium than whatever the Cougar fans think is acceptable on game day.

Any major college program should outsell BYU in fan gear because, face it folks, when it comes to money the Cougar followers, as a general rule, are tighter than bark on a tree. And BYU does not have a high percentage of bandwagon fans as does Utah. I see so many wannabes wearing ute gear it makes me laugh.

Bring back some tan/gold/Cosmo fur color accent to the Y's uniforms.

• SoUtBoy25 Cedar City, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 3:43 p.m.

I have to say I did like to dark blue helmets with the all white uniforms of the Doman/Staley era. I also liked the all black uni's as a once a year thing and the royal blue unis on occasion. Overall the recent traditional uniforms are the best overall uniforms.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 4:37 p.m.

@NavalVet

You're off base again Navyboy.

Nike is the number one apparell licensee for Collegiate Teams, not Collegiate Licensing Company.

Your figures do not reflect any of the Nike-Apparell, sold by BYU.
    Remember, Nike is BYU's largest apparel licensee, not CLC.
    And BYU has many other licencees as well.

Your figures not only do not refect any of BYU's "other" apparell licensees, they also do not take into consideration the vast array of non apparel BYU themed products available through BYU- Bookstore. Many of these proprietary rights are held exclusively by BYU.

The BYU Bookstore, Cougar Den, On-Line purchases etc., are not included in your skewed presentation..

You have demonstrated time and time again an inability to debate statistics and numbers.
    Perhaps you should enroll in BYU's "Top 3 in the Nation", Accounting program.

Case re-opened...Tis thee, who be wrong!

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    Feb. 25, 2013 5:09 p.m.

A series of articles about Y the Big 12 doesn't want BYU in their conference and now an article about BYU's uniform colors and perhaps could have been a result of their losing seasons during the Crowton era.

What will they think of next?

• Moracle Blackshear, GA
    Feb. 25, 2013 5:10 p.m.

Colors do effect the preferences of some consumers, however (being a huge Cougar fan, I'm reluctant to bring this up), fans usually buy the clothes of teams they are proud of. The closer the team ranks to the #1 spot, the prouder people get, and the more they want others to know their team is a winner, so they purchase team clothes.

Winning teams sell team clothes. Win games, sell team clothes.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 5:18 p.m.

Really? The cougs are 5 and 9 against the Utes since 1999. lol.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 6:03 p.m.

BYU is just envious of Utah State.

BYU changes colors to be darker, like USU's colors.

In 2001 and 2002, USU football was Independent. Now BYU football decides independence is a good option.

I heard rumors BYU is thinking about putting horns on Cosmo.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 6:14 p.m.

The problem is really "WE" the fan. Tennessee fan where freaking bright orange all over campus and at all their games. Orange is not a pleasant color for everyone to wear, but they do--because they love their team...their team is almost their religion...BYU fans do NOT worship their teams, they love to go and support, but they do not "live" for the game. We have much more important purposes in life.

Saturdays...BYU does not tailgate well...why? Out playing with the kids, cutting the grass, helping a neighbor move Sat. morning before the game, doing home teaching, etc, etc.

Face it, BYU fans have priorities BEFORE football, and I like it that way. I miss the old royal blue...because it was the only BYU color I knew...I wear the dark blue, but I do not think it represents BYU well. It is just about money. I think BYU has sold out on many levels to get more money...too bad, because it is not what we are all about...but BYU is.

Check out a tiny cup of ice cream at a BYU game...almost like a 1/2 gallon...enough said.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 25, 2013 6:16 p.m.

Bluto:

"Tis thee, who be wrong!"

Not so Bluto..."tis THEE". It seems you don't know much about trademark licensing.

Nike is the largest "apparel" licensee. They make the hats, t-shirts, sweatshirts, scarves, etc. But the Collegiate Licensing Company is the oldest and largest licensee of "trademarks". Nike only makes Nike clothing, but the CLC licenses the "trademarks" for Nike, Knights Apparel, Gear for Sports, Top of the World, Adidas Team Inc, Colosseum Athletics Corp, College Concepts LLC, Twins Enterprise Inc, Outerstuff Ltd, J. America, T-Shirt International Inc, etc. So anytime anyone wants to put a trademarked U, or Y, or Drum & Feather, etc, it must bear the CLC license. Therefore, all Nike's clothing was factored into the CLC's ranking.

You lose.

Again.

• The Cucamongan Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Feb. 25, 2013 8:41 p.m.

If you want showmanship and something to market, it is important to have contrast in the color scheme. Navy is fine for its standard color, but contrast it with lime green, florescent orange, or hot pink. Right now it is too drab. By incorporating stylish accent colors like those above, the unis will become a true fashion statement. BYU will be stylin. More importantly, you will see sales instantly go up. After all, it is all about marketing and looking remarkably different.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 25, 2013 9:08 p.m.

Thumbs up Duckhunter,

I liked the Ute black uniforms with the red highlights and red helmet as well and also thought the other two were bad. Especially the camo ones where the uniform and the score (TCU game) were the all time embarrassment for one game.

I would also go with BYU's traditional look. The blackout ones were mice as well last year.

In the bib days , even as a Ute fan I was not happy with BYU looking that bad. The rivalry game just seemed weird with those bibs on the opposing side. It was like playing a different team. It would be like BYU playing Utah as the Utah Swoops and not Utes (you know mascot/team name issue).

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Feb. 25, 2013 9:31 p.m.

I like variety. Go with the black unis for homecoming and bring out the royal blue for bowl games to recognize tradition.

I have a Lavell Edwards autographed helmet that is navy and tan from 2001 or 2002 era. Wish I could trade it for an old royal blue or current style. I never liked the tan or the block Y.

• Straitpath PROVO, UT
    Feb. 25, 2013 9:42 p.m.

I don't care so much about the colors but I HATE the gimpy looking twisted up no direction Y. The old block Y look is classy.

• Zoniezoobie Mesa, AZ
    Feb. 25, 2013 11:05 p.m.

The official brand or mark of BYU Football is the oval Y and official apparel is Nike. Navy blue and white are the colors, no tan. Look for the block Y with the arrow inside, not the v shape. The bookstore has deals with UnderArmor, Addidas, etc, but Nike is the team brand.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Feb. 26, 2013 6:40 a.m.

While I have become more accustomed to it,I miss the real blue. It was more than a color, it was a trademark. I don't want to look like Utah State or Penn State...I want BYU to look like BYU.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 8:13 a.m.

@Naval Vet

If you think that Nike has to go through CLC for their product licensing, then you are beyond uninformed. Nike licenses it's own products!

Trademarks are not established through CLC.
    Trademarks are established by each Institution, through the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

CLC is only a Licensing Firm contracted by Colleges.

CLC is used by some Schools and not by others, as a clearinghouse to license those entities which want to use a particular Schools Logo and Brand, in the manufacturing and marketing of apparel.

CLC does "Not" license every product, which a School may choose to market.

Each "School" maintains it's right to accept or reject any proposal (as they own their Trademarks) before it approves a license to produce.

Some schools use "In-house Licensing", i.e. USC, Yale, Ohio State, Oregon (wonder why?), Michigan St., Indiana etc.

Others may use licensing firms i.e. CLC , LRG or others..

Some schools will use a combination of both, In-House-Licensing and Licensing Firms.
    Which is what BYU does.

Which is why you, only using CLC's numbers to demonstrate total merchandise sales, is
    disingenuous and/or uniformed.

Check Mate!

• Buffalo1 McLean, VA
    Feb. 26, 2013 1:22 p.m.

They can wear any color they want, as long as they win in it ... but no bibs again -- never, ever.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 26, 2013 1:55 p.m.

Bluto:

You were already "check mated" 2 moves ago. The CLC licenses the TRADEMARKs. Had you done your research, you would have known.

"The CLC is the nation's leading collegiate TRADEMARK licensing and marketing agency...CLC assists collegiate institutions in protecting, developing, and managing their brands through a systemic and targeted approach focused on each individual client...CLC is the largest, strongest, and most influential agency of its kind and represents the vast majoriety of all collegiate merchandise."

"The Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC), the trademark licensing affiliate company of IMG College, has been the leader in connecting passionate college fans to their favorite college brands for more than three decades."

"CLC proudly represents nearly 200 colleges, universities, conferences, bowls, the NCAA, and the Heisman Trophy."

All the FBS and FCS teams in Utah are licensed by the CLC.

Here is a short list of the largest sportswear companies whose collegiate products have their TRADEMARKS licensed through CLC:

NIKE, Knights Apparel, Gear for Sports, Top of the World, Aididas, Colosseum Athletics, College Concepts, Twins Enterprise, Outerstuff, J. America, T-Shirt Int'l, Tailgate Clothing, Haddad, MJ Soffe, 5th & Ocean, Russell, New Era Cap, JanSport, Lakeshirts, Zephyr,...

• Wireless Lawyer Lehi, UT
    Feb. 26, 2013 11:12 p.m.

Sorry Navel Vet, Bluto is right. CLC does license trademarks and some schools may use them on an exclusive basis, but some schools don't use them at all and some who do, don't use them on an exclusive basis.

Similarly, while Nike certainly obtains rights to some marks from CLC, Nike can also obtain those rights directly from the school or from CLC's competitors.

Accordingly, using CLC licensing numbers doesn't provide a comprehensive picture of the marketplace.

Don't worry, I'll stick up for you next time you are right.

• OregonCougarFan Keizer, OR
    Feb. 27, 2013 10:32 a.m.

I buy Cougar wear regardless of the color because I love BYU that much, but I really do miss the royal blue -- it's so much more vibrant than the navy.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 27, 2013 1:59 p.m.

Wireless Lawyer:

So the Collegiate License Company licenses tradmarks for Nike's collegiate apparel, and Nike makes cougar collegiate apparel...but uses their OWN trademark licensing anyway? The CLC lists both Nike AND the Y as trademark clients. I'm sorry, but that just doesn't make any sense. That's like having a perfectly fine brand new Porsche sitting in the garage, but driving an identical rental car to and from work anyway.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 2:50 p.m.

NavalVet

It's been explained to you over and over again.
    The above posts by myself and Wireless Lawyer could not be made more clearly.
    Your inability to understand is just tedious at this point.
    You've been schooled, move on.

• Wireless Lawyer Lehi, UT
    Feb. 27, 2013 5:22 p.m.

Consider this pro bono legal work (so I don't have to charge you my hourly rate) to explain some pretty basic legal concepts.

CLC provides sublicenses to third parties for trademarks owned by others, they don't own the marks. So for example, Harvard can engage CLC to license Harvard marks to third parties for a royalty. CLC takes a cut of the royalty and sends the balance to Harvard. Harvard puts in the license agreement restriction on the sublicense right (e.g. can't sublicense Harvard marks to beer manufacturers). That arrangement allows Harvard not to have to deal with every company who may want to license its marks. But if the arrangement with CLS is non-exclusive Harvard can also license its marks directly to third parties.

If Nike wants to make appearal bearing the Harvard mark they can choose to either get the license from CLC or Harvard. I imagine most large universities deal directly with Nike because of the volume they can expect (and to avoid having to pay CLC a cut of that revenue) but Nike goes to CLC for smaller schools who don't have the legal bandwidth to do individual licensing agreements.