Erickson walks the talk

Comments

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 20, 2013 8:30 p.m.

Obviously a lot needs to come together for this to work but it could play out really sweet with a few developmental and chemistry factors ironing themselves out with a stable environment on the hill. The QBs have the Erickson skill set. They are inexperienced and raw. We will have to see what the new OC can do with developing young players quickly to play in the PAC 12.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Feb. 20, 2013 8:34 p.m.

Welcome to Ute Nation, Coach Erickson. We're glad to have you aboard!

Go Utes!!

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Feb. 20, 2013 9:45 p.m.

I love how he says Johnson is a superstar...yep...that is WHY he was replaced...nobody wants a "superstar" running things...we'd better have a burning out star! Oh, Utah, start saying your prayers, you are on the path of Arizona and Arizona State...never winning the big one. So sad. Really, I hope the best for you.

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    Feb. 20, 2013 9:50 p.m.

I think we have a lot of good pieces to work with. There should be more depth on the O-line this year. If they can train them up we should be in position to have a better season.

Here's hoping for success.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 20, 2013 10:03 p.m.

“Brian Johnson is a superstar in our business,” Erickson said. “He really is.”

Really? Spare us the platitudes. If he is a "superstar" then you wouldn't be here.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 20, 2013 10:29 p.m.

I'm excited to see how all this plays out on the fall. I think shotgun/no huddle will be a good fit for the Utes.

• JoCo Ute Grants Pass, OR
    Feb. 20, 2013 10:39 p.m.

Heeeeeerrrrs Ducky

What took you so long to start the negative comments, you let three people slide in before you. I guess my point is; why do you even bother. Everyone knows you'll jump onto every Utah post and share your expertise, but what you don't realize is that absolutely no one cares.

Ute fans reading these comments look at them with the understanding that it's an empty barrel that makes the most noise.

I see you took the time to "Like" your own post, how sweet.

• Roger Jolly Maricopa, AZ
    Feb. 21, 2013 12:30 a.m.

Bottom line for BYU; Join a BIG BOY conference and let's see how you would do? TCU and Utah... tough times.

Until then... enjoy being laughed at. And your fans laugh at Ute fans, "beat a winning Pac team."

Tell me when BYU beat anybody the last couple of years? They can't even beat the Utes.

• Call4Moderation Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 1:38 a.m.

First Norm Chow, now this? BJ is getting some serious mentoring. Hope it pays off.

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 5:38 a.m.

Dennis gave us mostly coach speak, he said all the right things and doned the right colors, he knows that now the work really begins. Can he make an impact for the Ute offence? With a healthy QB and a little luck with the O line Utah should be playing in a bowl again this year.

• JMT Springville, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 6:16 a.m.

I'm a BYU fan though I hope this turns out well for Utah. If he can bring the same offense as he has other teams, should be an improved year. Likely Utah has the skill to run his type of plan. With a souped up offense maybe Utah can compete for the Rose Bowl.

I think the biggest beneficiary of his presence is Brian Johnson, and a really classy act of Coach Witt to do this. Essentially, he is brining in a seasoned veteran to mentor Brian for a year. More than anything this is an investment in Brian and his future. This is the Utah management team showing how they see the future. Again, class.

Should be fun and minus one game this year I hope it goes well for Utah.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 21, 2013 7:17 a.m.

I'm optimistic. I don't see how it can do anything but help; as long as Erickson and Brian Johnson can work together. Erickson has been all over the west. If he picks up a gig at UTEP and Nevado Reno he can fill out his western coaching bingo card.

@JoCoUte

You are spot on. Haters are going to Hate. As soon as I see the name, I just scroll on down.

• BYU still rules Nephi, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 7:38 a.m.

JoCo Ute: Absolutely nobody cares, except of course you, who took the time to respond to the Duck Hunter's comment.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Feb. 21, 2013 7:41 a.m.

Ute recruiting just got a big boost.... should be intersting.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 7:52 a.m.

@jocoute

You obviously care, you wrote a 200 word response trying to tell everyone how much you don't care. lol

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 7:56 a.m.

2 coaches with top 2 final rankings.

I bet we are the only team the country with 2 coahces that have done that.

Let's just say that bodes very well for Ute football. This year, its a 3 team race between USC, UCLA, and Utah in my opinion. It's take Kyle a couple years to figure our our deficiencies. Why do I have faith he'll take us to the top? Because he already did take us to the top. Beating Alabama in a BCS game was not a fluke. Go Utes!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 8:01 a.m.

utah fans had better hope his first order of business is to ask bronco and Anae how to run an offense and a coaching staff. Second order of business is to ask a gull hunter how to call plays. He does that and he'll get his 3rd national championship for sure.

• Alterego Harrisville, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 8:18 a.m.

Well he doesn't exactly have a recent history of tremendous success, but I'm sure with Utah's superior athletes, superior facilities, superior hospital, superior turf, superior secretaries, superior helmets and superior parking lot, he will have the utes in a Rose bowl three of the next four years, or at least a Pac 10.2 winning record 3 of the next 4 years.

• cedarcityute cedar city, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 8:24 a.m.

It was fun to finally get to hear Dennis talk in general about their plans. Obviously it was general coach speak, but nonetheless fun to hear. I couldn't help but think how we've been on a crutch for the past 2 years with our quarterback situation. Hopefully this year we are knowingly starting out with a healthy, more experienced quarterback and can move on to bigger and better things.

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    Feb. 21, 2013 9:09 a.m.

I admittedly am a BYU fan, but I do not understand this hire at all. Dennis Erickson may be a nice guy and reasonably well-schooled in all levels of football but his track record is poor at best. Historically he starts out well but tends to flame out quickly and brightly. I don't recall any program that he has left in better condition than when he started. When I hear his name the first word that comes to mind is vagabond. I can't see this having a positive effect on Utah's program. Utah may be in over its head in the Pac 12 right now but I have always respected Whittingham's ability to coach and adjust to situations. This smacks of desperation.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 9:20 a.m.

I still think this is an excellent move for Utah. However, I think it will take a few years before Utah significantly improves its offense. We might see some improvements in the 2013 season, but I think 2014 and beyond is when we should really expect offensive improvements.

Go Utes!

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 9:26 a.m.

@CA reader,

"he starts out well". The Utes need a quick start. Erickson was not hired to be the head coach, but to jump start the offense and tutor Brian Johnson. I think he overstated Johnson as a superstar, but I think BJ could be a potential superstar.

Regarding the trolls around here, Duckhunter is the equivalent of Chris B.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Feb. 21, 2013 9:29 a.m.

“Brian Johnson is a superstar in our business,” Erickson said. “He really is.” Well, let's now add great used car salesman to Erickson's resume! Come on, Brian. Hold your own in your meetings with him. Don't let him walk all over you!!

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 9:39 a.m.

@Duckhunter

Did Duckhunter really say "Spare us the platitudes"? These come from the King of Banality: 1)"The disappointing aspect is it was a loss. The positive aspect is that we exhibited resiliency." 2)Quest for Perfection 3) Band of Brothers 4)“I'm extremely excited about this class. The first word that comes to my mind is character.” 5) "Whether we are on the road or here at Edwards Stadium, we'll be prepared to face each opponent with the effort, intensity and execution necessary to compete at the highest level.” 6)"Now we need to work on finishing and tackling at a higher level.”

And you pick one phrase from Coach Erickson's first press conference to call him out coach-speak?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 9:40 a.m.

I dont care what your past is. Just win baby!

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 9:51 a.m.

"Dennis Erickson may be a nice guy and reasonably well-schooled in all levels of football but his track record is poor at best."

You're speaking of his track record as a head coach, right? He wasn't hired to be a head coach. He was hired to be OC. Sometimes a position coach has great success but doesn't fare well as a head coach.

Example? BYU. Some Cougar fans were praying that Andy Reid would replace Bronco this year. Kicking Bronco out of the program would have been a huge mistake. Bronco is a monster defensive coordinator. As a head coach? Well... I've seen enough criticism from Cougar fans about their own team's problems. I don't need to pile on.

• Drum and Feather SLC, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 10:25 a.m.

So why are Utah fans like Joco Ute, Spokane Ute, Ernest Bass and RBN having such a fit over Duckhunters comment in this article? Did any of you actually consider what he wrote or did you just have an emotional overreaction to the fact that he made a post?

Nevermind the fact that he is actually correct in what he posted, Johnson certainly is not a superstar in coaching and if he was Erickson certainly would not have been hired and Johnson would not have been demoted. That is all correct, it is true.

Yes Duckhunter posts things to get under Utah fans skin but that doesn't make everything he posts wrong and this is a good example of it. Our overreactions to his posts, without even considering the content, is what has him LOLing us all of the time. Also multiple Utah fans making multiple posts about how they don't care about his comments or his posts just proves we do care about them. It is really silly.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 10:49 a.m.

"Nevermind the fact that ... Johnson certainly is not a superstar in coaching"

Wow. Such an overreaction to Erickson's statement.
    Is Johnson a superstar right now this very moment? No.
    Does he have a great mind for the game and a coordinator talent worth developing? Yes!
    No different from any other sport where they bring in a veteran to develop the rookie.
    Ute fans get it. Cougar fans fear it.

• cedarcityute cedar city, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 10:58 a.m.

@Drum and Feather

You are right. We need to be focused on our team and not by naysayers that just try to stir people up. The point of these comments are to talk about the article, not dig at each other and say the same thing over and over and over complete with mindless stats.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 21, 2013 11:31 a.m.

@Drum and Feather

Who in the world had a "fit"? Talking about reading one's post, you may want to take your own advice in the future. Sheesh!

As far as Erickson goes, the guy can only help. I'm a big Brian Johnson fan, but the offense was so predictable last year. Before Travis Wilson took over, when ever they would bring him in for a play; it would always, and I mean always, be a QB keeper. Once he took over, it seemed like every short yardage play would be a run up the middle. Throw in some play action for heck sake. I'm not so sure Travis Wilson is the answer either. Oh well, here is to a better season........GO UTES!

• JoCo Ute Grants Pass, OR
    Feb. 21, 2013 11:53 a.m.

@ Ducky nice follow up on WhyBYU's insight. The three trolls (including CWEB) need some mirror time. Other than Ute fans, who care about following their team, who was it that took the time to read and comment on the story about Dennis Erickson and Utah football.

Uh Oh, phone's ringing looks like another call from Mountain Ridge about students skipping class and playing on their computers.

• Drum and Feather SLC, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 12:01 p.m.

Spokane Ute you just agreed with Duckhunter so you also confirmed the point I made. Of course Erickson can only help, and of course he was brought in because Johnson was in over his head last year. Johnson is not a superstar as Erickson claimed and Duckhunter pointed out.

And yes several of you had a fit over him pointing it out. If he was a Utah fan then we wouldn't take any exception to the point he made. Likewise many of us have been making fun of Bronco for the stupid things he says so why do we get all upset when a BYU fan points out a stupid comment by one of our guys?

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 12:01 p.m.

Spokane, I agree. Travis played well last year... for a freshman. That post scriptum won't be attached to his name this year. He will either play well or he won't. A sophomore, junior or senior with almost a 1:1 touchdown to turnover ratio can't be considered efficient, while a freshman gets much more slack. Also, I've heard great things about Cox so far, and believe he may give Travis all the competition he can handle, and with a new evaluator in Erickson, I think the one that gets the starting job will have earned it based on performance, not seniority.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 12:05 p.m.

@jocoute

Your claim:

"what you don't realize is that absolutely no one cares."

And yet you keep responding and proving beyond any doubt that you do "care" and you "care" deeply. LOL!

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 12:12 p.m.

Hey Ducky,

How many contracts to you have at the U of U right now? Even if I could I would not bad mouth the hand that feeds me. Not classy.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 12:26 p.m.

I'm so happy to have coach Erickson finally join the staff. I'm excited to see what he can do with Utah's offense.

Spring ball is just around the corner and I for one can't wait.

Welcome to the Ute family Dennis.

Go Utes!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 21, 2013 12:32 p.m.

And the down south melt-down begins again with earnest, lead by lil ducky as usual!

I was very skeptical about the Erickson hire, but the more I hear of his plans, and the more I hear from the fans of other schools he coached at, the more optimistic I am becoming. He is a PROVEN commodity with an immeasurable wealth of experience and recruiting connections. He recognizes BJ for his brilliant football mind. Superstar is a stretch right now, by any measure, but unlike Doman, the potential is there for greatness. We'll see how it all plays out on the field next season, so southie rhetoric is just hot air.

CA reader: "I admittedly am a BYU fan". Ya think??

Ernest T. Bass: You are a riot dude - I love all your posts, seriously.

Go Utes!!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 12:36 p.m.

To all those taking coach Erickson's comments our of context. This was his complete statement on BJ.

"Brian is a superstar in our business. I've spent 3-4 days with him, and he is. You're not a player like that, and do the things he does as a competitor and not be able to transfer that to a coach."

Of course BJ is not "superstar" as a coach YET. Coach Erickson was partly referring to BJ and the fact that he called many of his own plays in the Utes 2008 undefeated season and can be a great OC and head coach because of his unique abilities.

I think that he hit the nail on the head about QB play too. Your success is determined at the QB spot and I like what's in place and coming.

The fact that the Utes staff has stayed together through all of this speaks volumes. This is a great hire.

Go Utes!

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 12:45 p.m.

@Drum & Feather,

I'm just pointing out that little bird hunter ought to be consistent. Coaches often speak in hyperbole, i.e. Bronco's quest for perfection. Oh, bad example, he really believed what he was saying.... but you get the picture. Bronco is the king of platitudes, and yet ducky chooses to point out Erickson in his first press conference. The irony was thick, and the kettle was black. It needed to be pointed out.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 21, 2013 1:32 p.m.

@Drum and Feather

Nope, I just scroll right over his comments like I said. I don't read his comments. Sorry if that equates to "throwing a fit" and has upset you. I'm certainly not upset, not in the least bit. Nice job of patting Ducky on the back though; I'm sure he appreciates it.

@stGtoSLC

Agreed. I really hope that what ever QB is deemed the starter, that the decision is made early on. I don't beleive Chase Hansen is due back for another year? I expected great things from him coming out of HS. I'm really hopeful that Travis Wilson can get it done; but I haven't been overly impressed so far. Maybe Cox is the answer. We shall see! Take care Guy; I always enjoy the back and forth!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 3:14 p.m.

Erickson also said he "doesn't know who will call all the plays" they might both do it. Huh? You are the offensive coordinator and you don't know who is going to call the plays? Really? Maybe you guys can trade off every other game? Or maybe each half? Or perhaps by quarter? Gee why not just every other play, that really should work well. Why don't you all just fraw straws and whoever gets the short one calls the next play?

LOL!

• cedarcityute cedar city, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 3:32 p.m.

I do think that was more a political answer than anything. Any answer would probably be considered a "bad" answer.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 4:42 p.m.

Or maybe they could bring back an OC after he was fired. LOL! LOL!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 5:06 p.m.

@rbn

Or maybe they could keep taking back a guy that keeps quitting on them? Talk about co-dependent. LOL!LOL!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 21, 2013 5:50 p.m.

I just love how the Utah-obsessed "flock" to these Utah stories! It is entertaining to see the reactions!! Keep it up!

Where is Fangupo?

• Maverick West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 21, 2013 8:29 p.m.

Great Hire!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 22, 2013 4:39 a.m.

Duckhunter:

"You are the offensive coordinator and you don't know who is going to call the plays?"

He didn't say he didn't know who would call THE plays. He said he didn't know who would call ALL the plays. That means he hadn't determined -- before Spring training -- whether he would call all the plays, or if Johnson would be ready to take a few series. Don't be so frantic and emotional. "LOL"!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 22, 2013 9:44 a.m.

@naval lint

So at what point does johnson start calling 'some' of the plays? Just more proof that whittingham just can't let other coaches do their jobs.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Feb. 22, 2013 10:33 a.m.

Duckhunter,

The co-offensive coordinator situation at the U is no more weird than a program that runs it's OC out of town and brings in a young "prodigy" only to dump him after 2 years and then brings back the original OC. That's odd. Look in the mirror before lobbing your hand grenades, I would expect more from you given your track record of delivering hypocrisy speeches.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 22, 2013 1:18 p.m.

U 90

Spin cycle!

Utah's OC situation is much weirder!

How many programs have had co-OCs, fired one, demoted the other, brought in an old OC long past his prime for a year, promoted a 25-year-old QB coach with only two years coaching experience to OC (youngest OC in the country), then demoted him and brought in another old coach long past his prime to nurse-maid the youngster who obviously wasn't qualified to be an OC in the first place, ALL within a five-year period???

Utah has had FIVE OCs in FIVE years, and both demoted OCs are still on staff, included one who has left the staff TWICE, only to return shortly thereafter because he couldn't decide whether he wanted to stay or leave.

It doesn't get ANY weirder than what's going on up on the hill.

• midpacmajor Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 22, 2013 1:39 p.m.

Isn't Dennis Erickson really the TRI-Offensive Coordinator?

After all, isn't a Passing Game Coordinator an Offensive Coordinator, by definition?

It seems Kyle is still overlooking a few key coaching positions.

Don't the Utes also need a Running Game Coordinator and a Scoring Game Coordinator?

How about 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Down Coordinators?

If Kyle hires enough Offensive Coordinators he could have one for every offensive player. Wouldn't that be neat?

Of course with Whittingham micro-managing everything (word is he even tried to micro-manage Chow), you still have to wonder who will really be in charge of Utah's offense.

No wonder Dennis was confused when he was asked who would be calling the plays!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 22, 2013 4:11 p.m.

midWACmajor:

"...isn't a Passing Game Coordinator an Offensive Coordinator, by definition?"

No, a "Passing Game Coordinator" is not an O.C. Just because Roderick is a cougar alumnus, doesn't mean he's in charge of the offense. All the Passing Game Coordinator is responsible for are coordinating the passing plays. The O.C. coordinates ALL the plays that had been drawn up and put in the playbook.

Just so we're crystal clear on this...a "Passing Game Coordinator" doesn NOT coordinate the running game. All the running plays in the playbook were drawn up and coordinated by another coach. The "Passing Game Coordinator" does not decide on sideline when a "Passing" play will be called. That would be the O.C. Or in Utah's case, Erickson.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Feb. 22, 2013 7:49 p.m.

Uteanymous

Apparently not weird enough to stop the Utes from busting the BCS and BYU over the past 10 years

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Feb. 22, 2013 8:32 p.m.

Naval Vet

What on earth does Roderick being a BYU alumnus have to do with his responsibilities as a Passing Game Coordinator?

What exactly is he doing when he's "coordinating" passing plays?

Who's "coordinating" running plays, or do they just "coordinate" themselves?

If Erickson is in charge of calling plays, what exactly is BJ "coordinating" during games, those funny-looking signs to signal in the plays?

It all gets so confusing when U simply make up titles to save face.

------

U 90

Obviously weird enough that the Utes have been in steady decline for the last five years while they've been doing the OC shuffle.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Feb. 22, 2013 10:40 p.m.

Snack

I can tell it bothers you that you team can't beat that declining program

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Feb. 24, 2013 11:24 a.m.

U 90

Obviously it bothers U that the team that "can't" beat U continues to finish with better records and higher national rankings.

Unfortunately for U, even your spin is inaccurate. Bronco is 3-5 versus Kyle, so obviously BYU can beat U. More importantly, Bronco has FIVE Top 25 finishes compared to only THREE for Kyle, proving that on a national scale, BYU is still better than U.

Get used to it! That's been the case for the last 40 years.