Utah

Gold mine in Tooele County would use cyanide to get metal

Comments

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 8:53 a.m.

Great! More poison in the environment for vanity and profits. It's the Utah way.

• Nayajja Ephraim, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 9:19 a.m.

Great! Careful planning and regulation to allow appropriate use of our natural resources to allow an economy that will accommodate the pursuit of happiness. It's the Utah way.

• AChapin Albany, Linn, OR
    Feb. 19, 2013 10:03 a.m.

Amen Nayajja. You are correct in what you had to say. I know a little about this and it can and will work.I did it for 27 years in pipeline with oil and coal. This will be great for Utah and its school's.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 10:57 a.m.

So? What's a little cyanide among friends?

I'm sure there are adequate EPA and other regulations that will keep it safe.

Oh, Wait! This is Utah where the EPA and regulations are the enemy.

Oooooooops.

• Evets Eagle Mountain, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 11:05 a.m.

Years ago when I did my masters work in public health I did my thesis work on public health hazards in the energy industry. I found that given the right safe guards about any hazardous material can be used with little or no hazard to public health. As a matter of fact some of the most hazardous materials (in the general public eye) have less overall health hazards that some of want the public considers are the "safer" alternatives.

To this day I work in occupational health/public health and monitor workers working with very hazardous materials and the material they work with don't cause their health deficits. It is their life style that endanger them.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 12:16 p.m.

I'm sure this solution will be 1k times better than Gold Hill's previous lives, let's do this!

• L Central, Utah
    Feb. 19, 2013 3:30 p.m.

I thought we didn't want any regulations and were pledge to fight against anymore !

Yes there can be over regulation, but there can be under regulation for certain things as well. Some things that once were considered wekk regulated at one time may need modificatios because of new machines, techniques or problems not envisioned just a few years before. Just think texting while driving was not much of a problem a few years ago.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 7:51 p.m.

Pursuit of happiness. Interesting belief.
    There a many lakes and rivers in Utah that exceed safe amounts of mercury and other poisonous elements making it unsafe to eat fish or ducks harvested from those waters.
    Tell me, what is it about gold that has anything to do with the pursuit of happiness? Didn't the Nephites pursuit of "happiness" via gold lead to their downfall many times over?
    The poison in the environment is completely for vanity and the profits of just a few. It does nothing to improve society.