Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: John Beck likes BYU's hire of the other Beck

Comments

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 18, 2013 6:14 p.m.

That is quite an endorsement. I am more encouraged by Jason Beck's hire than by Anae's hire.

• OCoug Ogden, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 6:35 p.m.

Interesting article. Enjoyed the information about Ja. Beck having received offers to coach at other schools. It'll be great if it works out, the schedule next season is rough, I don't know how much time the offensive coaching staff will have to go through the growing pains.

Time will tell, time will tell.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Feb. 18, 2013 6:57 p.m.

I thought Max Hall had a lock on this job. Anybody know if he is still down in Provo?

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 8:45 p.m.

I'll tell you why I am not thrilled or confident in these hires:

Bronco's had years to put together the correct staff. He had a learning curves himself. He spends much time on self-help books, yet not sure how much time learning about offenses.

We have yet to have the "right" staff apparently. Now--going back to Anae, who walked out on the program, had player/relations problems,and we are all supposed to be tippy-toes and sparkly-nose about it.

These hires are unproven. Maybe that is all BYU can get. The fiasco last year (Bronco called out by Doman on the radio) the decision to play Riley Nelson was Bronco's not Doman's. The way Doman was hung out to dry, after being set up to fail--the flailing of Dupaix and Cahoon...I have little confidence in the choices or handling now or in the future of this program under Bronco. Yes, his defense is amazing. That is not the program.

He dislikes and created an abyss with the fans. Bronco needs to repair the damage. There is much distress in Provo these days.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 9:39 p.m.

So who's responsible for the Brandon Doman and offensice assitants hirings? It appears that Bronco has gone unscathed in all of this and that BYU "fan" is back in line.

Wishful thinking. The fish "stinks from the head to the tail" as they say, yet Bronco (the head) is praised rather than challenged for his decisions. Let me know when Dick writes an article questioning Bronco and how the offense went so wrong in the first place.

Anae did a good job the first time and Bronco allowed the environment around the offensive coaches to be so bad that Anae left on his own (so we are told). If that is true, and no one who knows for sure says that it isn't, wasn't bronco the one ultimately responsible for the environment?

Typical.

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 10:13 p.m.

@54-10
    Aren't you a team up north (tun) follower? Not much good to talk about these days eh?

• Y's little brother Sandy, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 10:24 p.m.

54-IQ

Whittingham has had 5 different Offensive Coordinators in the last 5 years.

Utah fans would do well to refrain from throwing stones at other programs until the Utes start holding Kyle's feet to the fire for his bungled offensive hirings.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 18, 2013 11:36 p.m.

@54-10--Utes can't win half their games in either football, or basketball.

• Tilka PORTLAND, OR
    Feb. 19, 2013 12:14 a.m.

Translation - Doman screams at the quarterbacks when they make a mistake and doesn't have enough experience to be a solid coach.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 12:44 a.m.

It would actually be nice if John Beck came back to coach, but even being a back up in the NFL is pretty good money. I hope he finds his way onto another roster. Is John Beck looking like he will ink a deal with any team soon?

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Feb. 19, 2013 1:26 a.m.

All I know is someone cried.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 6:46 a.m.

The hiring of a BYU player who started in just one game and never got any meaningful playing time at quarterback is highly questionable. What practical experience does he bring to your team other than holding a clipboard for the years he was at BYU? At least Doman played and had two good years at BYU.

This hiring of the "other Beck" is curious, as is the the re-hire of Anae, the OC whom BYU couldn't get rid of fast enough two years ago.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Feb. 19, 2013 7:09 a.m.

Nice perspective from John Beck.

• shorts Payson, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 7:14 a.m.

RE:Henry Drummond
    San Jose, CA

Max Hall has to finish his degree before he can coach at BYU. From what I see I think is is finishing his degree then he can be a GA.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 7:31 a.m.

I hadn't kept track of Jason Beck after he left BYU. Thanks for a great article and interviewing John Beck for his insight. It sounded like Jason "held out" for BYU. That's good. We want someone who is hungry for the opportunity to be the QB coach at the Y. I also wonder what will happen to Max Hall and Brandon Domen, for that matter.

I just hope the chemistry of the Offensive coaches is united and up to the tough schedule for 2013. We won't know for sure until the Cougars hit the field in the first game.

It is so exciting to see what the men's BYU volleyball team is doing. Too bad we don't get all the games when they coincide with basketball. They are #2 in the nation right now and have knocked down some pretty incredible teams. Watch Friday and Saturday night on BYUtv.

Enough of bashing by bloggers on a BYU site. You read your articles and make comments, and let us have our opinions without the constant back and forth. It is so stale and old, and I don't care anymore!

Go Cougars!

• timpClimber Provo, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 7:56 a.m.

One of Bronco's good attributes is his ability to quickly learn from mistakes. His new coaches are all blue chippers and we will see improvement in the overall play of BYU. When the coaches learn to work together the improvement will be significant.

• Stgeorgebyu St. Georg, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 8:19 a.m.

I hope this works out. It is true Anae had trouble with players and other coaches. It is also true that the leader Bronco should bear some more responsibility for the offensive troubles, he is the one who is doing the hiring.
    Now is Jason a good coach? Does playing time mean he isn't? His resume says he has potential. Playing time means nothing. Many great coaches are better teachers then they are players. As also there are many examples of great players being terrible coaches. There is a big difference between doing and knowing what to do.
    That said I would have loved to have Detmer, but he is living a happy life so I say, have at it.
    We have to get a better o-line and have a more stable running game along with a consistent passing game. I hope we will gain an identity with our offense. Our defense is known for stopping the run and being able to go after them when we have broken them down.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 8:46 a.m.

@54iq

How many offensive coordinators has utah had the last 6 years?

Let's examine the Beck hiring in comparison to the bj hiring.

Beck - graduate assistant at top 25 program, offensive assistant at top 5 program, passing game coordinator at 1-aa school, qb coach at 1aa school, offensive coordinator at D2 school. Basicly a pretty standard coaching trajectory, advances in repsonsibilities and positions over a steady period of time. Now hired as a QB coach at a perenial top 25 program, not as offensive coordinator, qb coach.

bj - immediately hired as a qb coach straight out of school, no time as a grad assistant, no time as an offensive assistant, no time as anything gaining any experience. qb's under his tutelage actually got worse. Promoted to offensive coordinator of a pac12 school despite being in diapers and being a failed qb coach. Immediately leads offense to a 109th ranking. Gets demoted after 1 season although is allowed to retain the weird title of "co".

Hmmmmm......if I was you I would maybe concern myself with the offensive, and I mean that in every sense of the word, staff at the worst program in the pac12.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 8:49 a.m.

Well said BYUAlum.

• Down under Pullman, WA
    Feb. 19, 2013 9:06 a.m.

Ducky is right on target. Nuff said on the topic!!!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 9:13 a.m.

Awesome hire! It was aweseom when Anea had to leave and Doman was awesome and now it's awesome Anea is back and Beck is awesome. Great leadership decisions!

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 9:22 a.m.

@duckhunter

thats not actually true about BJ. He was not immediately hired, but nice try... Also, who says he failed as a QB coach? He took a terrible John Hays and turned him into a serviceable QB. I for one choose to trust those that actually know a thing or two about football (the coaches), rather than trusting some guy who calls himself duckhunter that has as much actual knowledge about the situation as my dead grandmother.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Feb. 19, 2013 9:30 a.m.

Great insight. So, John Beck "loves" the hire of Jason Beck. And that insight is based on what? John has never been coached by Jason, so, basically, he's going over the same thing that anyone else could go on-- stats of what he may have done elsewhere. Honestly, we Cougs fans can certainly "hope" that this, as well as all the others, will be a good hire. Bottom line, no one knows how Jason Beck will do ..... including John. John Beck's insight means nothing to me. Any why would John know Jason was in "high demand" rather than the sporters writer perhaps digging deeper on his end. And "if" a head coaching "opportunity" was at College of the Canyons, we're supposed to be more excited Jason Beck was offered a job to coach a Junior College team?

• kaspercasey gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 19, 2013 10:12 a.m.

Great article and great perspective by Jo Beck. I think Ja Beck will be a solid hire. A lot of BYU fans need to get over the fact that BYU did not get Ty Detmor. Jason Beck does not have the celebrity factor that Ty did but I think he will be a good coach and he is a proven commodity. I think Doman was a good QB's coach too but Anae should be able to hire his own guys. I honestly don't think how the QB's coach performs is going to make it a good or bad season anyways, how Anae performs as an OC will though.

• Utehaterforlife West Valley, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 10:16 a.m.

All I know is Harline is still open!

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    Feb. 19, 2013 10:48 a.m.

Interesting article. Of course, you always hope for a home run in these hirings. It sure sounds good now and Jason Beck sounds like an up-can-coming coach, but Brandon Doman was as well. Only time will tell.

First, you don't have to be a great player to be a great coach. Plenty of history along those lines. Just becuase Jason did not start over John Beck, he should not be written off. But not having been in the heat of battle regularly as a Division I QB could cause issues of understanding with his QB's. There again, only time will tell.

Bronco should be under fire for the offense last year. He made the call to hire Doman. If BYU goes 6-6 for the next three years, he will be gone. I would guess he is not one to deflect criticism and is the first one to say that the offensive woes were ultimatley his responsibility.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 11:16 a.m.

I think Jason Beck will do a great job for BYU. Fantastic hire.

In fact, it brings a tear to my eye too John.

• GD Syracuse, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 11:26 a.m.

I don't think Dick Motta played high school ball. He won a state championship with a small school in Idaho. He then put Weber State on the map with some great athletes. Finally he was a very good coach in the pros. Is experience necessary I would say not entirely. To say Jason has no experience would eliminate his high school playing days. Some people have a natural instinct to be a good coach. Studying the game, learning from coaching clinics, learning from mistakes all enter in. I hope Jason does well and I have confidence that he does. What John Beck said about him would indicate that.
    Gary

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 11:45 a.m.

So my son has a hitting coach he takes instruction from for baseball. This guy was never more than a high school baseball player although he has been a coach for quite a long time. One of the other kids this coach works with is the son of a former major league baseball player. I asked this guy, the former major leaguer, why he didn't just teach his kid himself and he says because he has no idea how to teach a kid to hit, he knows how to hit but teaching it is an entirely different thing so he has this other guy teaching his kid how to hit.

None of us has a clue if Ty Detmer can teach qb's. We do know brian johnson isn't very good at it. Just being a former great player, like Detmer, or a former ok player, like johnson, does not mean you can be a good teacher/coach. Being a good coach or teacher is a skill set all its own and is not necessarily related to the kind of player a guy was.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Feb. 19, 2013 12:32 p.m.

RE: Duckhunter

I love your comparison of hitting coaches. Now if you could just leave Utah out of the discussion you'd have a really good point to make. Go Cougs!

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 12:40 p.m.

Wiscougarfan
    River Falls, WI

Duckhunter can't leave Utah out of the discussion because Utah is all he thinks about.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 1:47 p.m.

timpClimber
    Provo, UT
    One of Bronco's good attributes is his ability to quickly learn from mistakes.
    ---------
    I've seen ZERO evidence of this...

Stgeorgebyu
    St. Georg, UT
    -----
    Amen.

AZguy
    Phoenix, AZ

-------
    "Saying" you are responsible isn't the same thing as making good decisions. Playing Riley was a bad decision.

GD
    Syracuse, UT
    ------
    And an NBA Championship with Washington.
    Rick Majerus was a lousy player, and a great coach.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 19, 2013 2:48 p.m.

@AZguy

"I would guess he (Bronco) is not one to deflect criticism and is the first one to say that the offensive woes were ultimatley his responsibility."
    - - - -
    I have seen no evidence of this. In fact my observation has been that when he does make mistakes or bad decisions, he will NOT own them. And I would agree that Doman's failure as OC is mostly on Bronco.

I really like Doman. He really is a good guy. Is there anyone with any information as to what will become of him, or where he is now?

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    Feb. 19, 2013 4:08 p.m.

re: Fillmore in Milford with an ernest bass at 10:54pm

I love how you just can't move on from BYU despite your declarations otherwise. Keep it up and you'll soon be awarded obsessed stalker status. Congrats.

Maybe you should be more concerned with the pathetic play of your own team. It's very unlikely that they'll win enough games to be bowl eligible again this year.

• Proud Ute ,
    Feb. 19, 2013 9:58 p.m.

AltaHawkFan

Sandy, UT

What's the matter, is their tongue in check commentary hitting a little too close to home?
    Somebody either needs a life or sense of humor and it's not either Mildred or Ernest.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 21, 2013 3:58 p.m.

No, Proud Ute, with Mildred and Ernest (same person?) and a host of other trolls, it is the same old schtick over, and over, and over again. It really has lost its humor. I don't know, there is something about obsessive hate that loses its luster after awhile.....

• Proud Ute ,
    Feb. 21, 2013 4:48 p.m.

idablue,
    Haters are going to hate. If it's not the bombastic, over the top style of Chris B or the tongue in cheek of Mildred/Ernest you must prefer the blowhard pontification of duckyg.
    All the same from my viewpoint, just keep scrolling.