Faith

Bloggernacle Back Bench: Young divorced sister missionary shares unique story

Comments

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    Feb. 20, 2013 9:59 a.m.

Great story. I didn't know the LDS church would allow someone to serve if they were divorced. Does anyone know would the same rules apply to a young man who had been divorced?

• Shawnm750 West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 20, 2013 11:01 a.m.

@Obama10 - I assume the process would be the same in that he'd have to petition the First Presidency to get approval. I know that sisters have different rules about eligibility too.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Feb. 20, 2013 11:01 a.m.

@obama10

It's been several years, so I don't know if it is still current policy - but a good friend of mine in OH served a mission after being divorced for a couple of years. They had no children. He served with distinction, returned home and was later married about the time he turned 26.

• mconner OKLAHOMA CITY, OK
    Feb. 20, 2013 11:20 a.m.

I served a mission in 1978-79 and there were several divorced sisters in our mission, but I thought the rules had been changed to prohibit it. Evidently not. Each case is probably considered individually.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Feb. 20, 2013 5:39 p.m.

What an amazing story! Thanks for sharing it. It is truly another example of how the Lord helps us move ahead if our desires are in the right place. Congratulations Sister!

• donn layton, UT
    Feb. 20, 2013 7:38 p.m.

RE: Cinci Man What an amazing story! Thanks for sharing it. It is truly another example of how the Lord helps us move ahead if our desires are in the right place.

woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. 1Timothy 2:11-12

appoint elders in every town, as I directed you. An elder must be blameless, faithful to his Wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. Titus 1:5-6

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Feb. 21, 2013 4:12 a.m.

@donn: I assume there is a message in there somewhere.........

• starwishes20 sonora, CA
    April 1, 2013 11:47 a.m.

This kinda makes me sad and confused because i am divorced and have no children but the bishop in my old ward told me i was not eligible to serve a mission because divorced people arent allowed to, i even had somebody willing to pay for all my expenses!...im thinking i may have to talk to the bishop in my new ward...

• ShmittyWitty Maple Valley, WA
    Jan. 29, 2014 12:43 a.m.

Why did she even have to bring her husband up in this situation? What is Christlike about throwing someone under the bus? Marriage takes both people willing to make it work, some divorce because they chose to. Why not make this about her mission without even bring up her ex? I mean if her ex or his family or friends or those who knew him read this.....ugh