Dick Harmon: BYU football: BYU's Ogletree hopeful for pro day, Ziggy rumors

Comments

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Feb. 15, 2013 8:41 p.m.

As much as I liked Ogletree. The guy was a solid stud. However, my impression is he will be a non-drafted free-agent and practice squad member at best. We'll see. Let's hope I'm wrong.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Feb. 15, 2013 10:03 p.m.

It never hurts to dream and work hard to make those dreams come true. Even if Ogletree doesn't make an NFL team the work ethic and perseverance will help him be successful elsewhere in life! Good luck to him and all the guys trying to make it!

• Jim1027 St. George, UT
    Feb. 15, 2013 10:09 p.m.

Good luck, tree. It's not over til you say it's over!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 16, 2013 1:31 p.m.

I'm surprised that Joe Kruger got an invitation, but not Dave. I always thought that Dave the the bigger and the better of the two.

• IdahoCoog Malad City, ID
    Feb. 16, 2013 2:04 p.m.

Why don't BYU trainers get their guys ready for the season with toughness like this? Why don't they have the guys competing at a top physical level during the season... ATTENTION OMER.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Feb. 16, 2013 2:27 p.m.

Lets hope that Ogletree put as much effort into his class work at BYU as he did football. The real benefit of a scholarship is just that scholarship. If he has a decent education and degree from BYU, that will be worthwhile to him for the next 30-35 years. Hope he took advantage of that scholarship.

• CanuckFan Vancouver, BC
    Feb. 16, 2013 2:54 p.m.

@IdahoCoog

Agree totally - maybe they should hire Dave Stroshine to run their training program or at least bring him in as a consultant. Get him in the Spring.

• kaspercasey gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 17, 2013 8:58 a.m.

If Ogletree gets a chance I think he will perform well for an NFL team. Even if he gets picked up by an NFL team, I'm not sure he will get a legitimate chance to make the roster. NFL teams always give higher draft picks a lot more chances to make the roster. Good luck to him, hope he gets a fair chance with some team.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Feb. 18, 2013 7:26 a.m.

"I'm also surprised to see Boo Anderson working toward the upcoming draft. I don't recall him getting a lot of playing time. And if one can't crack the starting lineup on a 5-7 college team, why would they think they'd suddenly have the chops to make in on an NFL roster?"

Perhaps injuries are we he struggled to crack the starting lineup. Though, they're bigger, faster, and stronger in the league...

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 11:41 a.m.

What can it hurt to at least try. All they can say is no your not good enough. I didn't know that Ogletree was that big. And if he runs 4.5 he could get a shot good luck to all.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Feb. 19, 2013 9:37 a.m.

Might find a spot player role with a lower team, but doesn't have the drop back speed , penetration skills or power in a pro game.

• Texas Coog Fan Provo, Utah
    Feb. 21, 2013 7:45 a.m.

But he has more heart that practically anyone. No one thought he would make it at BYU either, and he proved everyone wrong. Aside from injuries, he would have been a legitimate 3 year starter. No one ever thought that about him when he first showed up on campus after his mission. He'll follow his dreams for a while, and see where they take him. He's actually a smart kid, and if this doesn't work, he's planning on going to law school.