Faith

5-year-olds in Mormon boy-band hit YouTube (+ video)

Comments

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Feb. 12, 2013 6:25 a.m.

This is really weird on a number of levels.

• PRSANDNSS CONYERS, GA
    Feb. 12, 2013 7:35 a.m.

Chill, Emajor. It's cute and they have cool parents. Enough said. =]

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 12, 2013 8:00 a.m.

Hopefully, this won't be the next trend for helicopter parents i.e. beauty pageants for girls of similar age.

p.s. Boy bands are evil.

• twinfallsid TWIN FALLS, ID
    Feb. 12, 2013 8:17 a.m.

prsandnss: come on. These are 5 year old boys! Does my 6 year old need to be sending the message that girls are beautiful? He needs to be a 6 year old, playing with cars and legos etc. And about this being a teaching moment; I'm sure the boys are going to remember the "lesson" over the red carpet and STAR treatment And apparently it was more important than the message the Young Women Presidency had prepared for New Beginnings. The message it's sending is these parents are just trying to get attention. I don't think these videos do anything to strengthen our youth or their testimonies. Make a fun video with your family and share it with your family. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't post it on youtube and pass it off as a testimony-building experience, or "teaching moment". It's just another "Put me in the spotlight!" And that's what really is our purpose here on earth....

• Abinadis friend Boise, Idaho
    Feb. 12, 2013 8:45 a.m.

What a delight. It is so great to see good messages taught to the Children. Family Home evening is a wonderful time to teach them. Bless you in raising your children in these days. You are doing the right thing. Keep up the good work.

• AChapin Albany, Linn, OR
    Feb. 12, 2013 9:02 a.m.

Cat's in the cradle.

• Grandebbie Rigby, ID
    Feb. 12, 2013 9:48 a.m.

I agree with "Emajor" that this is just weird in so many ways. If we are to teach our children correct principles, priorities need to be set on gospel centered teachings, not on being "cool" parents, or in coaching our kids to focus on things that lead them, line upon line and precept upon precept, down the wrong path. 5 year olds need to enjoy being 5, and not be focused on the things of the world. In my opinion, this video reflects parents that have worldly priorities. Don't think that these kids are not "learning" anything by making this video. Children learn from everything they are exposed to, good or bad. With the condition of the world today, parents need to be actively engaged in constantly teaching their children the things of God. I can't tell you how much this video disapoints me in just about every aspect.

• Just 'B' REXBURG, ID
    Feb. 12, 2013 10:51 a.m.

It's great to see parents who take time for their kids. Teaching them to have fun, build bonds of friendship, and spending time with a dad and siblings who care. I for one can't much wrong with that. And if in the process they are able to teach a boy how to respect a girl, wow, if only the NOW could produce such results. Cheers to the "Five and Fresh" and fun Father!!!

• Mrs TAP Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 12, 2013 10:53 a.m.

How could anyone criticize this?! It's a very wholesome way for young boys to spend their time.. a good family activity, & they, obviously, had so much fun doing it. The girls were way older & were their sisters! I loved it & just shared on FB. I can picture my 5-yr-old granddaughters doing something similar & wish we had a good videographer in the family :) Hope you cute kids make another one very soon & remain friends forever!

• crawfordzoo Barstow, CA
    Feb. 12, 2013 10:59 a.m.

There is more than one way to bond as a family. It doesn't always have to be a lesson from the Book of Mormon. Lighten up!

• DMJ Newbury Park, CA
    Feb. 12, 2013 11:13 a.m.

I see nothing inherently evil in the content. However, this production seems to be typical of this generation of parents who often post pictures and videos on FB and Youtube in hopes of eliciting responses of how beautiful and talented they and their children are.

• CougMan San Diego, CA
    Feb. 12, 2013 12:04 p.m.

I'm a bishop in San Diego and am proud that these kids and parents are finding ways to enjoy life and develop their talents. We can turn about any experience we have into metaphors to better our lives, so don't be so critical of these kids and their parents.

For those of you that are so critical of something so innocent, you need to learn to not be so judgmental. Shame on you. You can raise your children however you want. It's these kinds of extreme comments and opinions that have so much of the world thinking Mormon's are prudish. Let's fight our battles elsewhere.

I'll bet those that are making these critical comments are also proud to point to Donny and Marie as Mormon's. Were they wrong to publicly perform when they were five?

Let's celebrate the fact that Mormon kids and youth can take advantage of our modern day media and have good clean fun doing it. I would be proud to be their bishop.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 12, 2013 12:30 p.m.

From the article I thought the boys would be singing in the video. Not sure about the lip sync talent factor. Still it was cute.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Feb. 12, 2013 1:04 p.m.

Uh, why is this news? This is bizarre. Along the Wasatch Front, there seems to be an obsession with fame/fortune as if that's where try happiness is found.

• rickplatts Ridgecrest, CA
    Feb. 12, 2013 2:10 p.m.

I thought this was fun. Also, I love getting ideas on ways to have wholesome fun with my boys. I am not the "fun" dad that my kids deserve, so things like these are inspiring to me. I would love to do something like this with my kids, but I lack the time, talent, and creativity to do it. I say kudos to these parents for being awesome!! I'm sure they are strengthening family relationships through happy quality time spent together doing righteous activities. And THAT'S what the gospel is all about!!!

• Richard Larson Galt, CA
    Feb. 12, 2013 2:28 p.m.

Shamelessness!!!!!
    Their 15 minutes of fame and glory,
    (not to mention their so called family home evening time)
    would be better spent by doing something for the community!!

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Feb. 12, 2013 2:59 p.m.

Cougman,

"you need to learn to not be so judgmental"

"Shame on you"

Okey dokey!

• Yermom American Fork, UT
    Feb. 12, 2013 3:20 p.m.

Seriously! If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. If you didn't like the video, chilax and find something else that rocks your boat. It is just some kids having fun with their families. If they don't teach/live the gospel the way you think they should...then make a change in your own home. Don't be casting stones for people who are just trying to have a little fun. I enjoyed the video. I thought it was cute!

• jeanie orem, UT
    Feb. 12, 2013 3:38 p.m.

If you have ever spent any time with 5 year old boys you know their are keenly aware of girls and feel they ARE beautiful in a very pure and innocent way. Yes, kindergarten boys play with cars and Legos, but they also notice girls they think are beautiful. As a teacher of kindergarteners and 1st graders I can tell you some cute stories about this. There is nothing wrong or evil about this video, it's darling. What a fun activity for a bunch of young friends.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Feb. 12, 2013 4:27 p.m.

Amen Emajor!

When did the D-News become desperate for the attention of the world for the LDS religion? Does anyone find the obsession with gaining the praise of man to be off-centered from the Gospel Teachings? It's cool to have hobbies, but it looks like these five-year-olds are being pushed into this by their parents to satisfy their need for attention. It just seems strange and looks like parents living vicariously through their children.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Feb. 12, 2013 5:48 p.m.

Some people here need to lighten up! Honestly!

• EightOhOne St. George, UT
    Feb. 12, 2013 7:24 p.m.

@ Emajor,

thats a bishop for ya!!

• Fumish Litchfield Park, AZ
    Feb. 12, 2013 8:50 p.m.

To begin, I'm only 17, so my view of the world is a little limited. But I HAVE had the pleasure to be in the same ward as these wonderful boys, their fathers (one is my Priest Quorum advisor), and Bro. Wiggins, who is one of the smartest, most fun, and most humble members of the church I have ever met. He is wonderful at reaching out to young men in the throes of teenage angst feel involved at youth activities. As I read the comments of some people casting blame on Bro. Wiggins for his "pride" and "worldliness", I remembered the stories I have heard since I was a five-year-old myself. I remembered the stories where Christ commented about "casting the first stone" and "the beam in your own eye." Even more important, there was absolutely nothing wrong with what he did, as the article clearly shows the boys' eagerness. I am also the home teacher of Cougar, and as he excitedly showed my dad and me this video, I was impressed by the feeling of wholesomeness about it all.

• Fumish Litchfield Park, AZ
    Feb. 12, 2013 9:18 p.m.

Sorry, this is continued from the above comment. I'm a wee bit verbose!
    At the tender age of five, all of these boys are already "stalwart" in the gospel, and telling their older sisters they are beautiful is not only completely righteous, but extremely touching. I would ask any that feel this is "worldly" to please use the same filter with their own comments, as it seems that some could be considered a self-proclamation of their own steadfastness - an unfortunate outcome that was most likely completely unintended, but could be misconstrued by others via the Internet.

• Belinda, Melbourne Australia Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Feb. 12, 2013 9:22 p.m.

People need to lighten up - it's a bit of fun and made me smile. These kids are being kids. My kids used to sing along in the car to their favourite pop songs. Heck, I still do it myself now. So what if Dad chose to share it on Facebook with the world. I don't think their Dad is looking at them as the next big thing. It was a bit of fun. How come having fun is considered weird, lame or even evil.

C'mon people lighten up and enjoy it. I think they are pretty darn cute!

• ajperky Riverton, Utah
    Feb. 12, 2013 11:28 p.m.

Soooo cute! My kindergartener's song is "I love you, like a love song, baby" and I can't get her to stop singing it! Way to have fun and turn it into a teaching moment, and your own little Mormon Message.

The Church embraces technology and is using to expose people to the gospel. I love all the Mormon Messages that are being used in all aspects of teaching in church today. All you judgemental commenters need to get with the times like the Church is.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Feb. 12, 2013 11:32 p.m.

I didn't like it, nothing to do with age, just didn't like it.

• Grandebbie Rigby, ID
    Feb. 13, 2013 6:30 a.m.

I didn't mean to come off as "judgemental", although admittedly, I have read my comment again, and I can see that is exactly how I sounded, and I feel I need to apoligize. I don't know these parents, and it sounds like they are wonderful people. That being said....my concern is that this band that the boys are lip syncing to, has since put out a song that is not appropriate for any LDS youth to listen to, the song is very immoral and beyond suggestive, and NOT respectful of girls. By making this video and putting it on youtube, seeds have been planted, I am sure these little guys are loving the attention that this brings, and that is my concern. A Bishop mentioned earlier that Mormons are considered "prudish", well....I think of it more a "peculiar", and we are, and we should be. The world is falling further and further away from God and His teachings, and if we are to be faithful and valient, we are going to have to be "different" than the world. Someone mentioned Donny and Marie Osmond....they actually sang, and their music was age appropriate.

• twinfallsid TWIN FALLS, ID
    Feb. 13, 2013 8:22 a.m.

CougMan: My husband is a bishop. We do amazingly fun things with our children (Like watching UTE games!) A lot of the ladies in my ward would not say that I am dignified enough to be a bishop's wife because I am not serious enough. So I definitely know how to let my hair down. However, let's not make this video out to be something it's not. It's a fun have a good time together video It is not about teaching these boys a spiritual lesson. It was about "look at me". We take funny photos and videos of our kids, but feel no need to get praise and accolades from the world. We enjoy them with extended family and friends. It's great to have good clean fun I agree.I don't want my kids to think the gospel is about sound bytes and popular music with no substance behind it, but about giving Christ-like service and loving others without making sure everyone can see it and pat them on the back. Have them do an awesome Mormon Message about what the gospel means to them.

• AKFan JUNEAU, AK
    Feb. 13, 2013 8:49 a.m.

News Flash. Five year olds can lip sync.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Feb. 13, 2013 9:11 a.m.

I haven't seen the video, but I have no quarrel with parents teaching boys to respects girls and women. The only thing I wonder--how long before copyright issues come up--particularly if they're using a copyrighted product to produce things to sell to finance a mission? They may find themselves shortly in the need of a lawyer.

• gigi_gorgeous New York, NY
    Feb. 13, 2013 1:19 p.m.

BORING.

• jcamp Mald, ID
    Feb. 13, 2013 2:59 p.m.

I thought you boys were wonderful!! I am glad your families shared your fun with the world. Gave me ideas... and I KNOW that children love the fun and attention. Lord know we can use the possitive reinforcements. Unfortunately the world is filled with negative people, you just have to learn to ignore them, because they don't go away, infact- they just get louder when you point out thier negativity, so just ignore them, you were Fabulous, thank you parents for the post!! I look forward to my son doing something this fun in a few years. KUDOS!!!!

• Dode Smithfield, UT
    Feb. 13, 2013 10:13 p.m.

I thought it was great! Some people need to watch their glass houses and not be so judgmental.....

• fairlucyrose UK, 00
    Feb. 14, 2013 8:46 a.m.

There are many other ways in which to teach your children to respect girls without having to encourage them to become part of the pop culture and have them pretend that they are miniature pop idols.

• Hampb0ne Nashville, TN
    Feb. 14, 2013 12:44 p.m.

I am seriously baffled by the negative comments in here. With so many parents sticking their kids in front of a TV or some form of electronic device to entertain their kids, we are seeing a drop in social skills. Here we have a wonderful example of young kids having fun, being supported by their parent(s) and creating a life long memory. I cant believe someone said that this was "all about fame" or "for their parents, not the kids." Did you read the article at all?! Weren't the boys constantly reminding Bro Wiggins about the video? They werent forced into this with some adult agenda. My goodness. I applaud Bro Wiggins and encouraging these kids to socialize, have fun, make "music" and strengthen the bond between these kids. I hope I can be as good of a father to my young kids as Bro Wiggins is to his children.

• Dawn C Phoenix, AZ
    Feb. 15, 2013 2:49 p.m.

Wow! I am totally blown away by some of the rude, self-righteous, and judgmental comments written here by people who have no idea of who Blaine Wiggins is or how he lives the gospel or that he teaches his children. If every member of the church lived their lives the way he does, it would be a much better world. If you can't enjoy some innocent fun, then don't watch this or any of his other fun videos. He didn't solicit this interview, Deseret News went to him. Thank goodness our Heavenly Father is the ONLY one who will be doing the final judging.

• Shazandra Bakersfield, CA
    Feb. 16, 2013 10:20 p.m.

Awesome, adorable, beautiful little creations from God. Go boys!! And your sistas are precious, too!!

• bw00ds Tucson, AZ
    Feb. 18, 2013 9:11 a.m.

So many people are being so judgmental over an innocent thing where some families are having some good fun. In my opinion, what is worse than your perceived "weirdness" or the sentiments of those like @Grandebbie are your haughty attitudes, elevating yourselves above those parents and determining what is right and what is wrong for them to teach their children, in what way to teach them, and what is a right or wrong activity in which to participate. They were just having fun. Like you should. Get off of your judgement seat and just have some fun! Only on the internet these days is where people can take a simple, fun news story and get all bent out of shape.

• bw00ds Tucson, AZ
    Feb. 18, 2013 1:02 p.m.

I must comment on an apology given in a previous post. The apology came with a "I apologize, BUT..." clause. The clause stated that the group that the boys lip-synced to has another song that is allegedly not LDS standards-appropriate and that "seeds have been planted." The apology for being judgmental was negated by once again being judgmental. She is now being judgmental on what music that these parents allow their boys to listen to and how they parent. I have chosen to listen to music/watch media that lives up to what I feel is appropriate. If we were to eliminate music by anyone who did a song that we thought was inappropriate, that would eliminate probably most artists today. I choose to recognize the good things people do. True, there might be a point in which I say,"no more" to that artist. A movie example: Anne Hathaway was in "Brokeback Mountain" and as I understand it, did a scene very much not in my standards. However, I watched "Les Miserable" and was inspired by her breath-taking performance. I'm glad I watched it. Unfortunately, LDS members on occasion are the most judgmental people.

• InspectorC Wasatch Front, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 9:29 p.m.

I believe I have a more active sense of humor than most Mormons. And I love to have good, clean fun as much as any Mormon. So I'm already "lightened up" and "chilaxed"! 8^)

But I HAVE TO GIVE THIS VIDEO A HUGE THUMBS-DOWN --as have the MAJORITY (+61%) of commenters on this board!

I wouldn't call this video "evil", but the whole thing is just "wrong on so many levels." The kids are cute, and the song itself is clean and upbeat. But I just sense that the PARENTS may be too caught-up in seeking worldly popularity: trying to create a YouTube sensation out of their children; posters; t-shirts; screaming 12-year old YW/fans; popularity contests, puffed-up egos, etc. etc.

The video, in and of itself, is not too bad. It's more the "interview" of the egotistical parent in this article that's scary.

• PokkitFrog Cleveland, TN
    Feb. 20, 2013 8:34 p.m.

I can't believe these pessimistic people. When I was 30 yrs. old my 5 year old son took a woman by the hand, pulled her down to his level & told her she was beautiful. Have you never taken a picture &/or taken a video of you children & grandchildren & shown it to others? They are hams (as most children are) that love the attention & are innocent to hate. They tell it as they see it. These are 9 children that have been taught to see beauty in all & parents (since all the parents had to give their permission for this to be done) that love their children enough to let them do something they love. & none of those children look like they have been forced to do this.