Utah

Price couple killed in murder suicide

Comments

• WilliamLee Ogden, UT
    Feb. 10, 2013 12:15 p.m.

This is sad news to hear. The trauma these poor children are going through knowing their dad killed their mother and then himself. I don't care how bad things can get, this is not the way out. My family and I have been living through a tremendous amount of challenges for the last 20+ months with health issues (the latest of me going blind), plus the full-time care of our oldest grandson who has special needs. It is a blessing though, he could have taken the whole family, but thankfully he didn't. Just sad all the way.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Feb. 10, 2013 5:02 p.m.

According to Price Police Captain Bill Barnes, there had been no history of "domestic discord" in the home, making the incident all the more surprising.

"From the outside, it certainly came out of the blue," he said. "It's a shock to everybody that knew them. It's very horrific!"

============

Has there been a history of mental illness (depression, and SSRI anti-depressant medications?)
    Sad.

It's all too familar.

• the old switcharoo mesa, AZ
    Feb. 10, 2013 7:36 p.m.

There is a well known phenomena in sociology called the "weapons effect" that shows people are actually more violent when there are weapons present or even pictures of weapons.

More guns in our society will always mean more acts of violence because it is a primal human behavior that we barely suppress with decades of social training and actual safety. It's just naive to believe that more guns = less violence.

• OCoug Ogden, UT
    Feb. 10, 2013 10:36 p.m.

My heart goes out to the children. Heartbreaking decision by their father that will impact their lives forever.

old switcharoo- we should focus on the fact that these kids just lost their both their parents in one terrible day. Leave the gun debate for another forum and time.

• joseywales Park City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2013 10:58 p.m.

Good grief! The only people who are "more violent" when weapons are present are those already prone to violence. No one I know who owns a gun has ever used them to harm another person. And I know hundreds of gun owners. I've never looked in my safe, saw a gun and thought, "hey, I think since there is a gun here, I'll go kill someone". Bad argument.

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    Feb. 11, 2013 10:00 a.m.

Both of these people came from good, close families. Such a total shock.
    Sending prayers for their families, and especially the poor children.

• ums Naples, FL
    Feb. 12, 2013 9:03 a.m.

My condolences to the family and friends of the couple. For those who are shocked that there were no previous reports of domestic violence, know that most people do not report DVe--just as most kids do not report when they are being abused. It is sadly the norm. Did she tell a friend? Her bisho? Anybody? Maybe not. We still have a blame the victim type mentality... "why didn't she leave" rather than blaming the abuser. It can take 6, 7, or more times for a woman to leave her abuser--and she is most vulnerable when she leaves. Today is the anniversary of the death of Aasiya Zubair, a well-educated woman from Buffalo NY whose husband killer her and then beheaded her. She was just 1 of 3 women who likely died that day... as we know that every day three women are killed by their partners in this country. We know that one in four women will be a victim of domestic violence in her lifetime. Prayers for her kids.