Faith

More than 80 Olympus High School graduates open Mormon mission calls in new YouTube video (+video)

Comments

• Mayfair City, Ut
    Feb. 6, 2013 4:02 p.m.

this was great!
    And cool how many are going to at least two of them to the same mission.
    Loved all the many different reactions and even those who did not have a video, you could get a feeling of them from their pictures.
    Great video. Congratulations to all of you! :)

• Richard Larson Sacramento County(209/916), CA
    Feb. 6, 2013 4:41 p.m.

wow.
    oh joy.
    rapture.
    wow.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Feb. 6, 2013 4:59 p.m.

What a great idea! It brings a smile, I'm sure, to everyone who sees it, but adds a special memory for all those young pweople willing to serve others. Thanks to all missionaries - and of all faiths. You are doing the world and youraselves a wonderful service.

• Twigie Tooele, UT
    Feb. 6, 2013 5:35 p.m.

Congratulations to all the Olympus Missionaires...thank you for your willingness to serve, you will bless many peoples lives. May our Heavenly Father bless you all!!! and I know He will.

• Twigie Tooele, UT
    Feb. 6, 2013 5:48 p.m.

Congratulations to the missionaries of Olympus High!!! and to missionaries everywhere. Thank you for your willingness to serve. You will bless the lives of many people!!! May our Heavenly Father bless you!!! and I know He will.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Feb. 6, 2013 6:20 p.m.

So cool!

• OnlytheCross Bakersfield, CA
    Feb. 6, 2013 6:35 p.m.

Awesome. Send them all my way. I will love to share the Christ of history and Biblical purity with any sincere Latter-day Saint who knocks on my door. My passion is to bring my Mormon family and friends to the true (Biblical) Jesus, with a knowledge of/ and trust in the Holy Bible as God's Infallible Word.

You cannot call the Bible true and subscribe to Mormonism's polytheistic, polygamous, 19th-century Masonic teachings and ritual. You can be an awesome, charitable, patriotic citizen and family-supporter. But not a Biblical Holy Spirit-indwelt born-again believer.

I have yet to find a Bible-knowledgable missionary or LDS member, leaders and BYU profs included. As a 7th-generation pioneer-heritage former LDS, I dearly loved my Church and shared with everyone who was interested. I never realized that I did not understand the Biblical gospel until challenged to read it without LDS definitions. What an amazing experience: Jesus does answer the call of the sincerely penitent and searching.

It isn't a religion, it's a relationship.

• ldsrebirth Virginia Beach, VA
    Feb. 6, 2013 6:52 p.m.

Awesome, and emotional to watch! Today two of our ward missionaries stop by to say goodby. They are transfering to other wards. I was suprised to learn were expecting 30 sister missionaries within a few months in our mission, when just a few months ago we were asking for there return to our ward.

• Unbelievable West Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 6, 2013 7:19 p.m.

As you can see, it doesn't really matter where ones called to serve his/her God. Wherever one ends up, it becomes his/her own Vinyard, his/her own Jerusalem. They'll create their own stories and in the end it will have become their most favorite/memorable place in the Universe.

This video sure provided this sinful soul, hope for a better tomorrow.

• ijw Holladay, UT
    Feb. 6, 2013 8:20 p.m.

Thank you Sister Chard for your beautiful video. Your time and efforts have blessed many of us. As an Olympus alum and one who has done some missionary work, I was very touched. May God's blessings go with all of you and all missionaries from all over the world.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Feb. 6, 2013 8:24 p.m.

@OnlytheCross,

I believe in the Biblical Jesus BECAUSE I am a Mormon. I accept Jesus as my Savior and find Him in the Scriptures but also the Temple (Masonic as it may be to some) as well as in many other places. No one can tell me that I am not a Christian - that is between me and God. God will not relegate me to Hell in the next life because I was "tricked" into another belief system here. If you have accepted Jesus as the Christ, I believe we will both be in Heaven, along with millions and billions of others who lived the best they could with the light of Christ. There is no trick to God's mercy or love.

If you want to hear a BYU prof who knows his stuff, go listen to Robert Millett or Stephen Robinson. I'm sure you can find them on YouTube and I-tunes. I invite you to give the idea of modern Prophets another chance. Their mission after all, is to testify of Christ.

Remember, it was always easier for the people of Jesus' time to accept the dead Old Testament prophets rather than the current Christ.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    Feb. 6, 2013 8:42 p.m.

Only what commandment are you unwilling to keep? I wonder if people find fault with the church particurly those that leave it real reason isn't there disagreement with the doctrine as much as they try to stump someone and say they don't know there doctrine in an attempt to justify there own lack of devotion and willingness to repent of there sins.

Were does the bible say it is infallible? Too many interpertations of it. The Christ of the Bible visited Joseph Smith as a ressurected being and called him and his succesors. It does not matter what people tell you because you will find fault with them. Trample anything because you choose not to beleive the LDS church. How do you know your version of the bible is true?

I do know the LDS church is true and you can't force me to beleive otherwise.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 12:29 a.m.

Best video on You tube!

God bless these missionaries and their families and loved ones.

• Believer2 Draper, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 12:49 a.m.

Beautiful and inspiring! These wonderful young people are the hope and light of the future, and will bless the people in all these lands. As current senior missionaries in the Czech Republic, we love and appreciate so much the young missionaries, and see how they are blessing this land and people, as well as reapiing blessings and strength for themselves.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Feb. 7, 2013 8:49 a.m.

@OnlyTheCross

"I have yet to find a Bible-knowledgable missionary or LDS member, leaders and BYU profs included."

I think what you mean to say is "I have yet to find an LDS member or missionary who is willing to engage in a Bible-bashing session with me."

• woolfnthal California, PA
    Feb. 7, 2013 8:51 a.m.

So totally happy for these WONDERFUL YOUNG MEN AND WOMEN!!!!!! Sister Andresen we are excited to meet you here in Pittsburgh!!! Sooooooooooooooo proud of all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mfan Pleasant View, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 8:57 a.m.

AWESOME ARTICLE!! What a refreshing piece of news to wake up to this morning. FABULOUS!! Thank you for putting a smile on my face today!

• Kraut Menifee, CA
    Feb. 7, 2013 9:02 a.m.

We have great missionaries here in Menifee, California. They are wonderful to work with. Bless these young people who are wililng to share their lives with others. For the missionaries going to Germany, I loved it, and you will too.

• NHCougar Somersworth, NH
    Feb. 7, 2013 9:53 a.m.

Watching these clips from young missionaries receiving their missionary assignment reminds me of similar assignment extended to me many years ago. Many emotions were running through myself as I watched this video at work during lunch (needed a minute after the video ended to pull-myself together). I wish them all success through their hard work, obedience, and discipleship. Good bless!

• NT SomewhereIn, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 11:10 a.m.

Wow! WOW!

I couldn't even make it through 5 minutes of this. Amazing! Best wishes to all missionaries and their families and friends!

• IulianaB broomfield, CO
    Feb. 7, 2013 11:10 a.m.

I didn't think I would be so emotional about this, but I cried like a baby, especially since two of these kids were called to serve in the Romania, Moldova mission. I am originally from Moldova and because of dedicated missionaries, I was able to join the church 10 years ago. These two missionaries will absolutely love it there; the work is fruitful and the food is amazing!

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Feb. 7, 2013 11:26 a.m.

Outstanding.
    That was a little hard to watch, a lot of emotions.
    My sons are currently serving in:
    The Tonga Nukualofa Mission
    and
    The Florida Jacksonville Mission.

Congratulations to all Elders and Sisters... Gods Speed

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 11:37 a.m.

The gold rush is on! I suspect the missionary count is going to almost double within two years with nearly half being girls. Big changes will be needed with the youth programs in the Church to get these kids ready a year earlier now from a maturity standpoint and spiritual standpoint. The MIA program is going to have to change AND the seminary program at the senior year must have a Preach My Gospel section. I actually think getting rid of BSA is a MUST now for the Church since much more emphasis is going to have to be put on the Duty To God side of things for Boys and much less on the merit badge and camping side. Also parents are going to have to shoulder a greater burden financially for missions especially for their student / athlete kids. There isn't time for kids to work if they are ball players in high school since most sports require year round dedication and there isn't the traditional year after graduation to work for kids like there used to be. Interesting to see how this all works itself out.

• Mike S Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 7, 2013 11:39 a.m.

Congradulations to all who are called. It is great to see that many may see familiar faces from home in their Missions. We are especially jealous of the Elder that was called to Rochester Mission since that is where I lived for over twenty years. One other thing, the spelling of Pittsburg in the video is actuallly in Kansas... the proper spelling is Pittsburgh for Pennsylvanis. The natives are very particular about thi... believe me!

• Chocolate lover NO, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 2:08 p.m.

I just bawled watching this video. What a powerful clip!!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 4:12 p.m.

re:OnlytheCross

sorry you lost your way. The CORE of your "new" beliefs are based on the The Athanasian Creed. The Athanasian Creed does NOT contain the New Testament teaching of The Savior and is in fact a complete falsification of the basic teachings of Jesus and the apostles including the very nature of God. It would do you good to review the creed and it's erroneous origins especially since the core of false concepts such as the holy trinity form the foundation of both Protestant and Catholic belief.

• Missionary Posters Kirkland, WA
    Feb. 7, 2013 5:05 p.m.

This was great. Congratulations and thanks to all the Elders and Sisters who serve as missionaries worldwide. We love and respect you. Thanks to your families for their love and support of you as well. God bless!

• sparkey Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 7, 2013 10:44 p.m.

Brought me to tears!!! This really brings back such fond, powerful memories of my own mission call!

Special congratulations to those called to the Sweden Stockholm mission...my own mission and the greatest mission in the world!!!

Aldste Barney - Sweden, Stockholm, '89-91.

• TBareC Kennewick, WA
    Feb. 8, 2013 4:06 a.m.

I loved this! Thanks for compiling it! It's an exciting time to be alive in God's Kingdom!

• sixpacktr Murfreesboro, TN
    Feb. 8, 2013 5:42 a.m.

That was so powerful watching those young people about to embark on an experience that will change them forever. We had the Elders over for dinner last night and as one of them taught us a short message before leaving on Prayer I couldn't help thinking what a wonderful foundation missionary service is to build the rest of their lives upon. The young people will have a place that will stay in their hearts forever as their 'real home'.

Only sad thing about the video,was that none of them were called to the 'true' mission of Japan Fukuoka. But I'm sure theirs are nice too!!!

• lds_believer Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 8, 2013 6:10 a.m.

Was tipped off by family member to watch this video.....AMAZING!!!! It made me smile and brought back LOADS of memories and a tear or two. I served in the Germany Hamburg Mission. I am SO glad I served a mission. It's great to see the willingness and excitement to serve. These young missionaries have an INCREDIBLE experience ahead of them. I wish them all success and happiness during thier mission. Be obedient and work hard....and watch what happens. GOOD LUCK!!! Thanks for this video.

• AndrewP Sandy, UT
    Feb. 8, 2013 8:07 a.m.

Very cool! I'm very happy for all of these young missionaries. Our daughter just arrived in the California Fresno mission and is loving it. Her little sister is waiting on her call. Both are Jordan Beetdiggers.

• AggieTitan Logan, UT
    Feb. 8, 2013 8:59 a.m.

Wow. Sister Chard thank you so much. I went to school with your older sister and Graduated in 2009. I am so proud to be part of this incredible legacy and I thank all of you for your desire and willingness to serve! Go fly the flag! I also want to express thanks and love to all of those Titans who, for whatever reason, may not have had the opportunity to serve full-time missions and yet continue to serve The Lord with all of your hearts. God bless you brothers and sisters. I'm so grateful for the Olympus community that helped to shape me into the man that I am today. Thank you, and this video is a testament to me of the kinds of families that bless the lives of thousands each day throughout the Holladay area. Just giving a little shout out to the kid that called to New York, New York! Best mission in the church! New York City South Mission baby! Congrats again Elders and Sisters, give em Heaven!

• hoterene Simi Valley, CA
    Feb. 8, 2013 9:05 a.m.

Elder Greg Watts,
    Welcome to the best mission in the Church.

• Madre USA, UT
    Feb. 8, 2013 9:48 a.m.

Fantastic video!! Made me cry. My son is leaving the MTC on Tuesday to serve in Reno, NE until he receives his visa to go to Sao Paulo, Brazil. He is so excited to be a missionary where ever he serves. I would love to know what music they are using for the video; it enhanced the feeling of the message of these neat young men and women. Good luck on your missions! You are always in the prayers of the Saints throughout the world.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    Feb. 8, 2013 9:58 a.m.

Oh, my goodness, I cried for joy through everyone of these choice young men and women who read their location for a mission. My heart swells with love and joy for everyone of them and their desire to serve their Heavenly Father. I know the Lord will watch over them and give them the strength to serve and make a difference in many lives. They will be in my prayers and thoughts as the months go by. So proud of your choice to serve.

• Madre USA, UT
    Feb. 8, 2013 10:04 a.m.

Fantastic video! It made me cry. My son is leaving the MTC next week to serve his mission in Reno, Nevada until his visa arrives for him to go to Sao Paulo, Brazil. He is so excited and ready to get out into the mission field. Good luck to each of the missionaries in this video. It is an exciting time for the youth of the church; we had three youth in our ward receive their calls this past week. I wish you well on your missions; you will always be in the prayers of the Saints throughout the world.

Can anyone tell me what music was used in this video? It greatly enhanced the message and I would love to purchase the CD.

• eaglemom Eagle Mountain, UT
    Feb. 8, 2013 10:16 a.m.

Who did the music for the video with Olympus HS Mission Callings?

• woundedpossum Cedar Park, TX
    Feb. 8, 2013 10:51 a.m.

Great video. To Sister Simonsen, hurry on over here. There's work to git done!

• Big_Bird West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 8, 2013 12:21 p.m.

I don't know any of these kids, but I cheered for all of them. This video gave me goosebumps!

• Olysupporter Hollady, UT
    Feb. 8, 2013 12:55 p.m.

oly kids are great the class of 2011 did a video like this last year they had 84 boys (before they changed the age for girls)that had received thier calls at the time they put it together. Titans all over the world.

• rok San Diego, CA
    Feb. 9, 2013 7:05 a.m.

I've never seen sister missionaries that looked like that before. Those were some nice houses. Did you see the size of those fireplaces? It's like Grayson Manor.

• wear2manyhatz Holladay, UT
    Feb. 9, 2013 7:04 p.m.

My son and I joined the Church just about a year ago; in some part because of his father's return after almost 30 years. He is now considering a mission. A lot to handle for a special needs Son of God.

I hope this video will help him make up his mind.

there is never a right time or place to bash anyone. I made missionaries weep for having much more knowledge of the First and Second Covenants than they. But I never disrespected...or now, disrespect, anyone else. And I expect, and get, the same treatment.

Love God with all your mind, heart and soul. And love your neighbor as yourself.

How simple a message...

• lynnea1 JEFFERSON CITY, MO
    Feb. 9, 2013 7:55 p.m.

What an amazing and moving video this is! It's so wonderful to see the excitement in our youth when they get their mission call. What a miracle and a labor of love shines through!

• Jack Aurora, CO
    Feb. 10, 2013 11:55 a.m.

@ Patriot.
    No, now is the time to understand why the Prophet and Apostles sponsored BSA and moved away from their own brand of scouting in 1913, and CONTINUED to support it since. BSA is the tool we have been given to train young men to be great missionaries. It was inspired then and is now.....remember "no unhallowed hand...". If BSA is not working in your ward or stake it isn't BSA fault, it's those adults who think they can change it or ignore what they don't like and try (and fail) to do it their own way. Duty to God does not replace Scouting! For those who think that the Church could do a better job on its own...then why haven't they? The program works if you implement it fully, not just partially! Boys need to be challenged, to be outside, to be able to achieve to succeed. They need to lead and be allowed to grow and learn. Now, more than ever we need to prepare boys to serve missions and BSA is the tool to do it.

• Scovy rexburg, ID
    Feb. 10, 2013 1:29 p.m.

Good for them in making the Prophets new announcement coming true, they will make great missionaries. Just think by the end of this year they are predicting up to 90K missionaries in the field.

• kaikoa Provo, UT
    Feb. 11, 2013 7:53 p.m.

@onlythecross
    You don't know the bible yourself....there is no point of talking to you coz at the end i know whos going to win

• GabrielTruman Rexburg, ID
    Feb. 11, 2013 11:15 p.m.

@OnlyTheCross
    And what did you find, reading the Bible from a non-mormon and strictly objective perspective? There are a number of ways to interpret most portions of the Bible.
    The Mormon Perspective of the Bible, as you call it, clarifies doctrines which may seem to be contradictory. For instance, Matthew 4:1 says that Jesus was led up of the spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil. In the very same book, in chapter 26 verse 41, Jesus tells his apostles, "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."
    By this account, Jesus would be a hypocrite, would he not? It is only with the added information from the Joseph Smith translation that such a situation is clarified: Jesus went up into the wilderness "to be with God."
    One might argue that Jesus was greater than man, and therefore, that the rules do not apply for him. But then why would he have been baptized either? "Thus it becometh us to fulfill all righteousness." Why would Jesus disobey his own commands for us and thus break the rules he has made for us concerning righteousness?

• GabrielTruman Rexburg, ID
    Feb. 11, 2013 11:30 p.m.

@OnlyTheCross
    Also, if the Bible is totally infallible, why would it ever be contradictory? Because it seems to be, without a proper perspective and interpretation of it.
    For that matter, without any knowledge of what the Bible is teaching, no man could ever understand it, infallible as it may be. Even Jesus taught his disciples the interpretations of his parables. Would he ever give us a book that we could not understand and depend on us to understand/translate it by ourselves? There are a multitude of ways one could interpret the messages of the Bible—one could take the parable of the hundred sheep and take it at face value, arguing that the simple meaning is that if we are a shepherd and we lose a sheep, we should go after it so we can bring it back to the fold of ninety and nine—that that is the extent of the meaning and there is nothing more to it.
    Can you ever isolate yourself into a totally objective view of the Bible? If you are not using LDS definitions, you are using someone else's, aren't you? How can you know beforehand that those are correct?

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 12, 2013 10:59 a.m.

@Onlythecross
    "My passion is to bring my Mormon family and friends to the true (Biblical) Jesus"

By that do you mean the 4th century derivative of Jesus that was conceptualized over 300 yrs after His death through political debate and compromise under threat of banishment by a Roman Emperor (if you didn't sign the creed) rather than the actual 1st century Jesus we read about in the New Testament?

James 1:5 says, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." It says if you don't understand something you need to ask God, not convene a political convention and debate the subject until you can find a compromise that everyone is satisfied with and is approved by the Emperor.

This creed teaches that God and Jesus are incomprehensible. That is contrary to the Bible. John 17:3 says, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." It says that knowing the only true God and His Son is the foundation of eternal life. You can't have it both ways.

• Rwright Seattle, WA
    Feb. 14, 2013 11:26 a.m.

I'm a Mormon, but find this kind of crossover between Deseret News and LDS Church News disturbing. Editorial objectivity is passe, apparently. I am here from Reddit, where this is being panned as a silly propaganda video. I don't really see how Deseret News can defend itself from charges that it increasingly acts as the Ministry of Information either. There is a reason I no longer subscribe to a local paper.

• killpack Sandy, UT
    Feb. 15, 2013 10:27 a.m.

Rwright,

There isn't one single journal out there, local or not, that is without bias or an agenda of some kind. You're asking for the impossible. Do you really think a national paper like USA Today or NYT isn't trying to make you think a certain way? Because if you do, they have certainly accomplished their mission.

• Mauiman Kihei, HI
    Feb. 15, 2013 11:57 a.m.

Great video of these Olympus youth even though I went to Skyline. :-)

• bw00ds Tucson, AZ
    Feb. 18, 2013 8:51 a.m.

So wonderful to see how important this was to all of them. This was awe-inspiring!

• AZhombre Mesa, AZ
    Feb. 20, 2013 1:52 p.m.

Danielle et. al. Thanks for your good works! Had to send the link to everyone. Can't imagine anyone not tearing up like I did. Would like to see former mission president's face when he watches it. All of these worthy young adults will make terrific ambassadors of Christ. Thanks for bringing back sweet memories when 4 of our 6 children opened their calls, and when I did. Great to see all the phones used to share the good news! And everyone was pleased to serve wherever they were called by a prophet of God. Especially enjoyed "Dear Elder Farley..." then said, "Doesn't that sound great?" Sister Flynn... "Honduras something mission"! Having served in the CA Mission, 44 yrs ago, we brought the restored gospel of Jesus Christ to 4 countries. Now the region has many missions and 5 temples. "Te-gu-ci-gal-pa" temple in that country's capital city. Thanks again. No wonder we've enjoyed a spiritual feast with multiple young men and women coming to the temple before leaving on their missions. Their mission president's and others must feel great joy receiving such wonderful, sweet, young missionaries joining their forces to testify of Christ. Awesome!

• grouchyoldman Arden, NC
    Feb. 22, 2013 2:32 p.m.

After so many years I did no know that I could feel again in my heart the feelings of 45 years ago. Congratulations my friends. Return with honor and avoid the sophistry of those who would distract you from the path that the Lord has directed for you.

• softball ump Lehi, UT
    March 1, 2013 5:10 p.m.

my wife and I volunteer at the MTC... we play the role of investigator so the elders/sisters can practice teaching. We were thrilled about the younger sisters... We have seen a dramatic increase in sisters.. Sorry, elders, no offence intended, but, Sisters bring something to the table that the elders can NEVER bring.... Our son is currently in the South Carolina, Columbia Mission... surprised no to see that mission in this video... our daughter came home three years ago from Riverside Ca....

• Breathe Deep Eagle Rock, ID
    Dec. 2, 2013 4:11 p.m.

@OnlyTheCross

You are the perfect example of:

"Those who leave the church - Cant leave the church alone"