Dick Harmon: What grade should Tom Holmoe get for BYU schedule?

Comments

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    Jan. 30, 2013 6:37 p.m.

A+

• Downtownchrisbrown ,
    Jan. 30, 2013 6:38 p.m.

Pretty sure Penn St., Ohio St. and Minnesota are in the Big 10, not 12

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Jan. 30, 2013 6:54 p.m.

This is exactly the type of schedule Tom Holmoe promised BYU fans by the third year of Independence and now he's delivered.

Grade A!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Jan. 30, 2013 7:04 p.m.

Normally, I'd give an AD with the Y's 2013 schedule a "B+". Had Texas, Wisconsin, and Notre Dame been Home-&-Home games, they could have earned an "A". However, Y fans have proven time and time again that they don't care "who" they play; just that they win. Hence, their immediate flirtation with the WAC. Even Bronco himself said, "the model had been set" in reference to Hawaii's weak WAC schedule back in 2007 that enabled them to back into a BCS bowl. Then after saying that, the very next team added to the cougars' already mediocre schedule: the FCS' Northern Iowa. And then they "Quested" for perfection.

I see a few cupcakes on that line up, but I'm not sure it's enough to get Y fans excited about potentially embarking on another "Quest".

The last sold out game the cougars had at LES was Utah -- who then proceded to pound them 54-10, and sending Y "fans" fleeing towards the stadium's exits by the end of the 3rd Qtr. I guess we'll have to wait and see if they can sell out a game without their big brother on the field to draw the "fans".

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 30, 2013 7:24 p.m.

D Harmon and more blue Kool-Aid.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 30, 2013 7:31 p.m.

A++++

• BYUfaninWashSt Everett, WA
    Jan. 30, 2013 7:40 p.m.

C

• Black&Blue St George, Utah
    Jan. 30, 2013 7:40 p.m.

Maybe this will help prevent the serious cases of carpal tunnel in store for all those cute little utes "fans" that sit in front of the computer screen all day waiting for the next BYU article to hit the web.

Here is a good analogy for you to consider.
    While Utah is winning the battle (Head to Head), BYU is winning the war (better overall records, higher rankings, more national exposure, ect.)

I guess fans have to decide what is more important to them?

Now can we avoid another comment thread full of garbage comments and have intelligent discussion?
    Personally, I think Holmoe is doing a fantastic job with scheduling, especially giving the unique circumstances of independence. Now Bronco & Company need to take care of business and win some games.

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    Jan. 30, 2013 7:53 p.m.

oh chrisy how do you figure you are a member of the BCS unless you play football you are not a bcs member the school might be but you yourself are not not unless you are on the board and i highly doubt that.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Jan. 30, 2013 8:06 p.m.

A+, best schedule I've seen for the cougars in at least the last twenty years. The balance is great with easier games and byes in-between the most difficult contests. I'm also thrilled to see that ten of the games are on Saturday and am optimistic that most games will be shown on national television. I will be surprised if we do any better than 7-5 (even that might be optimistic), but you can't blame Holmoe, this is about as good as it gets. Of course I'm a little biased since the schedule gives me the opportunity drive over to watch the cougs play my Badgers and I can even swing down to South Bend when they play the Irish. Go cougs!

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 30, 2013 8:15 p.m.

Easy A, are you kidding. Very silly question to ask.

• Blue Rampage Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 30, 2013 8:26 p.m.

Tom Holmoe deserves all of the howls and wolf calls we can muster. I will stick with an A- grade since he could not close Mizzou (as of this date still an 11 game schedule and open on 11/16) and had to settle for Idaho State. Clearly, Leach and Sarkesian don't need any more trouble beyond what they gets in the Pac. As for Chow, he doesn't want to get his butt kicked at home and then have to recruit against BYU on the islands. Chow has also held a grudge since Crowton got the job he felt should have been his. Lucky for us.

Holmoe is showing us why he has four Super Bowl rings. This rocks.

• Whatsnu Sandy, UT
    Jan. 30, 2013 9:00 p.m.

It's sad when half the comments for grading BYU's 2013 schedule are snide little digs from Utah fans, yet the only two comments about the retirement of Rick's sweater, both complimentary, come from BYU fans.

More proof that a large portion of "Utah fans" are really just "BYU haters".

----------

Holmoe definitely gets an A+ grade for BYU's 2013 schedule - tough, challenging opponents spread throughout the season, nice home and away balance, and great scheduling of the byes and tune-up game.

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Jan. 30, 2013 9:32 p.m.

I would give Holmoe a B for his effort and now when BYU plays .500 I will give him an A.

No matter how good you are, your going to the SF Bowl...nice

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 30, 2013 10:00 p.m.

"It is interesting that in three cases, coaches with ties to BYU (Mike Leach, Steve Sarkisian and Norm Chow) had their schools cancel series with the Cougars."

"Consider that the MWC appears to still have its boycott of BYU in place for departing."

I don't know anything about what happened with Washington and Washington St but it is very clear that Chow had nothing to do with the MCW conference scheduling the Championship game on the day Hawaii was penciled in on byu's schedule. Boycott of byu by the MWC? Seriously? Why does Harmon do this? Why is he compelled to paint byu as a victim and why do byu fans buy into this schtick? Just asking.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 30, 2013 10:10 p.m.

Great grade at this time. The schedule is "the best the Y has ever had". He should also get a grade after the season. But more importantly, what grade does he get for leading the Y to independence? Little is know about the finished schedule for 2014 and beyond. In addition, I wonder how the long term outlook is for recruiting this year and beyond. That said, I find myself supporting the Y for the first time I can remember - Perhaps I have "moved on" in baby steps.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Jan. 30, 2013 10:11 p.m.

Tom did a great job with the schedule every year he has had that responsibility. This is an excellent effort. I question his allowing so many young assistanc coaches. Not good. Sure glad he pushed for changes in the offense. We are lucky to have him as the AD. He's a great improvement over what we had before he came.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Jan. 30, 2013 10:17 p.m.

MyPerspective
    Salt Lake City, UT

"Why does Harmon do this? Why is he compelled to paint byu as a victim and why do byu fans buy into this schtick? Just asking."

Have you followed the MWC for any length of time? It isn't only Utah that loves to hate the Y. The first wall to fall though was SDSU being willing to play BYU in the Poinsetia Bowl. Seriously, many of the coaches stopped just short of swearing an oath to never play BYU again. Go back and read for yourself.

As to inferring that WSU and UW cancelled their contracts, that is a fact. That they did it because they didn't want anything to do with BYU while trying to work their way up the PAC - conjecture. Blaming it on the coaches? Unsubstantiated rumor. But possible.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Jan. 30, 2013 10:27 p.m.

A++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Miss Shields style...

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 30, 2013 10:57 p.m.

BYU schedule work = A
    Getting Cal on NCAA probation while the coach = F

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 12:23 a.m.

Given the ever changing landscape of football conferences, I'm impressed with what Holmoe has been able to accomplish in only the 3rd season as an independent. I believe Holmoe took a lot of criticism for the last two seasons of home games and there was little he could do about it with the sudden move to indy status.
    As a Ute fan I wish Chris Hill could realize his mistake of not scheduling the rivalry game for the next two years and find a way to make this happen. I don't know of any fan who wants to see a game with Fresno State instead of the rivalry with the Cougs.

Go Utes.

• Jim1027 St. George, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 12:32 a.m.

Some Utah fans may think that their schedule is A+++. However, since their schedule will represent a losing season most years then how do you factor that in? Is it that the schedule is too hard or that the Utes are too bad?

You might have to schedule your Idaho States, New Mexico States, and more. I guess that's why you dropped your old travel partner, BYU, so that you wouldn't lose one more game that could be critical to being 50-50.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 31, 2013 1:55 a.m.

I love BYU's schedule. It puts an end to trash talk about patsies from guys like me. As Ute fans, while we wait for losses to pile up to validate our position of what a real schedule can do, I think Holmoe balanced it out just right.

Independence has its' down side. Scheduling can be a problem , but it's also nice to choose opponents rather than being locked in if you can line up good schools to play. I don't have a problem with BYU playing two patsies, one or two is par for the course for many quality programs. I just was bothered the last two years when BYU fans put stock into four automatic wins.

Utah plays one patsy next year, that being Weber State. USU might be, but I think they are still decent after Gary Anderson. It doesn't matter because BYU plays them as well.

The problem BYU has is that although it's okay playing Middle Tennessee State and Idaho, it would be better if those were tune up games early in the year. November has its' scheduling challenges. BYU does have a bye week before Utah (good move Holmoe).

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 31, 2013 1:59 a.m.

Playing Nevada is much better than Hawaii. A good MWC team is the equivalent to a bad PAC 12 team, and the PAC 12 has those. Although I hope not, I think that BYU could win 10 games next year. I don't think they will, but I see them better than 6-6. I think 7-5 or 8-4 makes sense. The schedule is tougher this year but the record might still be about the same as the QB play should be better and Anae will be an upgrade.

• Capsaicin Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 4:11 a.m.

BYU should have stayed in the MWC. Only big markets effect national appreciation. And Provo/Orem isn't exactly a big market. Never has been. The more populated east and west with their big-headed big-money big-market supremacy (along with the bcs) will always skew teams who belong "to the club"...in their favor.

Considering all the health issues football players face, and the fact that hundred sustain life-altering and brain-altering injuries, BYU should just shut down their football program.

• Lightening Lad Austin , TX
    Jan. 31, 2013 4:55 a.m.

C-
    Cons- too slow in insisting that needed changes regarding the football staff be made. He was in essence forced by the paying customers to get involved
    The man needs to be screaming like a Banchee to get the admin to hire outside help to lobby the Big XII for membership. West Virginia did and they are 1 1/2 times as far away as BYU from B12 cities with a tiny TV market, no national following, smaller attendance, Louisville, Pitt did with the ACC. BYU officials think the B12 will come begging wont happen.
    Pro- Listened to the fans but long after the football program had fallen badly. FWIW- Holmoe is the head of the football program, Socrates is his underling.
    Initiated changes in the Marriiott to change out bench seats and improve the odd color scheme. Mustard yellow, who thought that one up?

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 6:30 a.m.

@Dick

If BYU has contracts with Utah State, Boise State, Nevada and UNLV, then how is the Mtn. West Conference Boycotting BYU?

Dumping Hawaii was a blessing..... SDSU..."Never" again....New Mexico, Wyoming, Fresno, San Jose...who cares?

The only other teams worth playing from the Mtn West would be Air Force or Colorado State.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 31, 2013 7:11 a.m.

An "A" for sure; that's a really nice, well rounded schedule.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 31, 2013 7:23 a.m.

I shocked too see ute fans not give him high scores. Would have never seen that coming.

• The Watch Dog tumwater, WA
    Jan. 31, 2013 7:36 a.m.

It seemed that BYU had the chance to schedule Missouri before they scheduled Idaho State but did not act on the opportunity. I still like the schedule but wish we were still playing WSU and Hawaii.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Jan. 31, 2013 7:37 a.m.

I can't wait to see how BYU's offense does this year. I hope for great improvement while the defense keeps up the good work. Also I hope the kicking game improves. If we can maintain the defense while improving the offense and kicking, I believe BYU will surprise a lot of big name schoos we a re playing this year.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Jan. 31, 2013 7:38 a.m.

I do not think anyone else could do better with the cards dealt. Hawaii had nothing to do with the MWC scheduling the game the same day. As for the other teams there are reasons and I do not think it is because they hate BYU. Maybe a bit scared but hate no. If you have a good prospect that you may lose another game you think twice. I like this schedule because we may lose several games. But if we do it is to quality teams. If we win we get respect. I would like to see all hard games. Then we would really grow and be the team we all want. I think BYU would schedule all better teams if they were available. You do the best you can. Even ND has a few cup cakes as they too have a hard time during the final weeks. And they too need a few extra wins.

As for all please respect the topic. Not every BYU article is a Hate BYU or Hate Utah forum. Again we are not in Kindergarten seeing whose brother can beat up the other. 2 great programs with different paths. Respect this please.

• The Watch Dog tumwater, WA
    Jan. 31, 2013 8:01 a.m.

I'm really glad that BYU and the U decided to part ways for a while. That rivalry was very unhealthy.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 8:06 a.m.

A for awesome and R for totally rad.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Jan. 31, 2013 8:07 a.m.

A. Interesting games and well placed games. If this type of schedule can be maintained, no need for a conference.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 8:15 a.m.

bluto

"San Jose...who cares?"

True, I guess it doesn't really matter if you lose to San Jose, Boise St or Nevada. Bottom of the WAC either way.

• Rockyrd Gilbert, AZ
    Jan. 31, 2013 8:21 a.m.

Chris B-
    I'm not one of those BYU fans that hates the U. Quite to the contrary. But you can't give Hall an A+ until the Utes start to beat some of those teams. Same for the Y. Great schedule, but you have to beat some of the tough teams you schedule.

• sls Columbia, MO
    Jan. 31, 2013 8:24 a.m.

The 3 cases of coaches with BYU ties who aided in canceling games with BYU should have been expanded to 4 cases, because Whittingham also has BYU ties and he assisted in getting BYU off the schedule for the next two years. There is some typical oligopoly behavior going on from the western conferences who want to get BYU out of the marketplace, but Holmoe has done a good job in fighting back and he has been aided by the four best programs in the MWC (SDSU, Boise St, Utah State and Nevada).

The PAC12 is despicably and unjustifiably arrogant. gdog12 is correct that these 4 good teams in the MWC are as good (or much better) than the bad teams in the PAC12, and they have already proven it in head-to-head competition.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 8:31 a.m.

I think this might be their toughest schedule yet. The MWC boycotting BYU...highly dubious Dick: UNLV, Nevada, Hawaii, USU, SDSU (bowl). Ehh, what are facts though--stop the presses and go with it.

It will be interesting to see if BYU can keep future schedules up to this level. If BYU wants to compete for a possible BCS bowl or championship (and I don't know that they do) they need to try and join the Big 12. Winning that conference would put BYU in an instant spotlight, just like Kansas State this year, but that might involve a couple of losing seasons and hard work, so that's off.

If BYU is playing three or four "boycotted" MWC teams a year, might as well join it and try to win it. With the Big East as weak as it is, the MWC is essentially the new AQ for a BCS bowl. It's a pretty tough conference--BYU went 2-2 in it last year. I don't think going .500 against a conference makes you better than it, but I am sure many will enlighten me on this point.

• Y's Guy Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 8:32 a.m.

Chris B
    Salt Lake City, UT
    "Chris hill's job of getting us USC, ucla, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, Michigan, etc.?
    A++++++"

Whit's job of beating USC, ucla, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, Michigan, etc.?

F------

• ute4ever West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 9:23 a.m.

C - : How will BYU ever get to 7,8,9,10 wins without 6 WAC teams on the schedule?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Jan. 31, 2013 9:26 a.m.

Y's Guy:

The last time Whit faced Michigan...he beat them. And then went on to win the Sugar Bowl during YOUR "Quest for Perfection".

Whittingham is 2-2 vs. UCLA. If we get an "F", so does UCLA.

All of Whittingham's games vs. USC and Oregon were competitive.

We DO get an "F" vs. Washington.

And YOU get an "F" for logic. Next time, don't be so frantic and emotional.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 31, 2013 9:47 a.m.

A+ for schedule. 3 marquee programs. 7 competitive programs. 2 cupcakes. Would love to see this every year. Swapping Virginia for WSU and Nevada for Hawaii at the 11th hour improved the schedule.

B- for coaching changes. Recycling Anae as OC will be better than what we had, but I would have liked to see a more risky move. The next Chip Kelly has to be out there somewhere. DuPaix and his Option mentality was not a good fit for BYU. But none of us understood why Cahoon was fired. No announcement regarding Doman is a concern and taking so long to find a QB coach is troubling. If Detmer is announced, I will raise this grade. If Max Hall is announced, I'm even more worried.

• JmThms Henderson, NV
    Jan. 31, 2013 10:00 a.m.

Chris B:

Hows that inferiority complex workin for ya?

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 10:12 a.m.

Naval Vet,
    I agree that an F is not justified, but I don't see anything better than a D. No bowl game, and Whitt has yet to beat a team with a winning record. Nobody remembers that you competed, only that you won or lost. The Cougars competed against Texas, who cares; they still lost. In fact, they were just a few plays away from only having one loss, but I don't care, they still lost. Remove your emotions and the best you can give Whitt is a D.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    Jan. 31, 2013 10:22 a.m.

Naval Vet

Regardless of the name attached to the team, Whit's job of beating good PAC 12 teams - "F"

Utah is still winless against conference foes with winning records, and he's managed to lose to a couple of them, most glaringly, Colorado - grade versus bad teams - "F"

Utah did have some very good wins in 2008, but barely beating the Wolverines(3-9) 25-23 was not one of them.

Bronco's record versus USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, and Michigan

2-1 versus UCLA, 59-0 for BYU last meeting
    2-0 versus Washington
    1-0 versus Oregon, 38-8 for BYU in only meeting

Hasn't played USC, Stanford or Michigan, yet

• Y's Guy Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 10:25 a.m.

Naval Vet
    Philadelphia, PA

"Frantic and emotional'? LOL

Not very sensitive, are we?

As I recall (and you apparently don't), the Y has beat Washington, Michigan, Stanford, UCLA, Oregon.

But, keep the knee-jerk reactions coming. They're really quite humorous.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Jan. 31, 2013 10:59 a.m.

Y's Guy:

As I recall, (and you apparently don't), your point was that Whittingham gets an "F------" for not "beating USC, ucla, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, Michigan, etc", and you were proven to be illogical, frantic and emotional. So what do you do? In typical cougar fashion, you try to change the argument. Too late. You lost.

I don't recall seeing the Y beating UWa, Mich, Stanford, UCLA, OR Oregon last season at all. If you were referring to the all-time series, the ONLY team on that list the U had never beaten was Washington. But then again, We HAVE beaten USC a few times whereas you had not.

Now look what you did. You just embarrassed yourself again.

• Ronald Uharriet SWun City, Ca.
    Jan. 31, 2013 11:06 a.m.

When talking about the 2013 season, without including the 2012 and 2011 seasons which I thought weree terruble, I would give an A- grand for the scheudle if not an A.
    Scheduling Idaho was not good. As the Saragin poll points out, it only hurts us, win, lose or draw. It dramatically tears down our strength of schedule at a time that we want to be noticed by the Pac 12, Big 12, Sec, or Acc.

We could have chosen, instead of the Idaho School, the available teams that would added to our respect i.e. Syracuse, Missouri, or Wake Forest. This would have earned an A+ grade for scheduling from me.

Don’t misunderstand me, I do consider the A- to A grade almost excellent. I am grateful for the schedue that we do have vs. Texas, Wisconsin, ND, Ga Tec., Boise State, Va., and Utah.
    I didn’t think that I would ever see the day that I would consider Utah State as an equal.
    Houston has it’s ups and down years as a mid major. I hate to say it, but Hawaii has been terrible since June Jones left.

• Robroy Murray, utah
    Jan. 31, 2013 11:09 a.m.

Holmoe, A-, really good job. His majesty, Dr. Hill, D- for being afraid to play BYU, a team his team beats regularly. Can't really see his logic. Hopefully when he comes crawling back to BYU to schedule games Holmoe will send him packing.

• caleb in new york Glen Cove, NY
    Jan. 31, 2013 11:22 a.m.

I think there is only 1 patsy on this schedule - Idaho State. Middle Tennessee State thrashed Georgia Tech last year. So although BYU will be favored against them its not just a show up and win game like Idaho St. will be.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Jan. 31, 2013 11:23 a.m.

Just like....
    MSU is to Michigan/OSU
    NC State is to NC/Duke
    Iowa State is to Nebraska/Iowa

• gamer PROVO, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 11:33 a.m.

A+ for this Year, B, for years past, B+ for years to come.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Jan. 31, 2013 12:12 p.m.

RE: Naval Vet

Your response to Y's Guy original comment--as is often the case--changed the subject (from recent the Utes recent history to their overall history).
    Let me remind you that Y's Guy original post pointed out that since joining the PAC12 (and thereby scheduling USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, Michigan, etc) that Whit's teams deserve an F in winning those high profile games. My quick google search uncovers that Y's Guy was correct... in the last two season the Utes went 1-4 in games against the teams he mentioned. Most objective observers would give a 20% winning percentage an F. Not that this is horrible or unexpected, I doubt BYU would have fared any better in those games.
    I'm simply posting because I believe that when someone accuses another of being illogical, frantic, emotional, and changing the subject... that they should probably not post in a way that is illogical, frantic, emotional, and changes the subject. Or does that not apply to trolls?

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Jan. 31, 2013 12:46 p.m.

RE: Striker

"Utah State, a stand up program??!!! I needed a good laugh today! One good season doesn't make them a good program all of the sudden...that takes consistency. USU is nothing more than the 3rd wheel in the state, just like most programs are with a hot rivalry and little bro wanting to be a part and they never will, and they have 'state' in their name.

Just like....
    MSU is to Michigan/OSU
    NC State is to NC/Duke
    Iowa State is to Nebraska/Iowa"

----------------------

First, I'm pretty sure that Nebraska isn't in Iowa so you might want to fix your example. Second, USU isn't a one year wonder... Gary Anderson has been building the program over a number of years and they have seen consistent improvement. RIGHT NOW the Aggies are probably the best football program in the state, I wouldn't dismiss them so easily if I were you. Who knows what Anderson's departure will do to the program but I think the recent USU success and their joining of the MWC makes them a bona fide contender in-state.

• BYUSU Wellsville, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 12:52 p.m.

@ Striker

"Utah State a stand up program? I needed a good laugh today. One good season doesn't make them a good program all of a sudden.. that takes consistency."

Just how many years does it take to have consistency? Is the two years of Utah losing in the PAC make consistency?
    If USU beats Utah this year then I'm sure Utah will leave USU behind like they did BYU. Then I guess Utah will need to use Weber State for their bowl game. After all they are another "State" team.
    Tom Holome would get a A- for the great work he has done.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    Jan. 31, 2013 1:35 p.m.

Striker

Utah State, a stand up program??!!! ... One good season doesn't make them a good program... USU is nothing more than the 3rd wheel in the state... and they have 'state' in their name.

Just like....
    MSU is to Michigan/OSU
    NC State is to NC/Duke
    Iowa State is to Nebraska/Iowa"

What a strange, disjointed post.

As others have posted, Gary Anderson has been building a solid program in Logan for several years and the Aggies were clearly the best team in the state in 2012.

Your pejorative "state" little brother argument is silly, especially since you used Ohio STATE as Michigan's rival.

Arizona STATE usually has a better football program than Arizona
    Florida STATE is hardly a little brother to Florida (depends on the year)
    Ohio STATE / Ohio - laughable
    Penn STATE / Penn - hysterical
    Louisiana STATE / does Louisiana U even exist?

The point is, don't be so quick to dismiss the Aggies.

The Aggies cracked the AP Poll in 1961.
    The Utes didn't crack the AP Poll until 1994.

And until 2003, 1994 was Utah's ONLY AP Top 25 finish.

Sometimes teams re-emerge, while other teams fade. It happens.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 1:38 p.m.

Yes the 2013 schedule has some better games and some late in the year as well. So what will it produce?
    For Sure Wins – Mid Tenn & Idaho St
    50-50 Wins – these games could go either way – Virginia, Georgia Tech, U of Houston
    Possible Wins – If BYU gets lucky – Utah State & Nevada
    For Sure Losses – Texas, Utah, Boise State, Wisconsin, Norte Dame

Out of the shoot BYU will have at least 5 losses on the year but it could be worse than that. This is not the exposure you are looking for. Additionally, once you get that first loss, the season is shot. Much better to be in the safety of the old MWC.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    Jan. 31, 2013 2:34 p.m.

Big J

Actually, BYU's 2013 Schedule is exactly the kind of exposure and strong competition BYU is looking for.

Gotta love the angst and predictions of doom and gloom this schedule is generating from the kids on the hill, though.

You're obviously worried about the seismic shift in national prestige a schedule like this could produce if BYU is successful. All that talk about what a miserable failure BYU was going to be as an Independent will be resoundingly silenced.

As far as the season being shot with one loss, the schedule is strong enough that BYU could absorb a loss to a good team and still be in contention for an at-large BCS bowl.

And with ESPN as a partner, the national exposure will grow exponentially with every BYU win.

The positives of such a schedule far out weigh the negatives.

• ldsrebirth Virginia Beach, VA
    Jan. 31, 2013 2:47 p.m.

Tough Scedule. It's possible they may have a losing season? Middle Tenn plays well, and are not a push over. I hope to see them when they visit UVA.

• ldsrebirth Virginia Beach, VA
    Jan. 31, 2013 2:53 p.m.

Tough Scedule! Could possibly have a losing season. Middle Tenn not a push over. I hope to see the Cougers when they visit UVA.

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    Jan. 31, 2013 2:59 p.m.

A classic example of risk/reward.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 3:14 p.m.

A+

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 4:08 p.m.

Good schedule and great expectations.

Not sure why all the unfounded comments regarding MWC boycotts and teams that were never in the MWC with BYU, i.e. Hawaii, Boise St. SJSU, USU. And for the two of you who think SDSU decided to "schedule" BYU you get a flag for a false start. SDSU was invited to play BYU by a bowl committee.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Jan. 31, 2013 4:44 p.m.

A+ to Holmoe. Nuff said.

As for the sturm and drang predictions of disaster, not so fast. All those teams are beatable. We're not playing Alabama, Ohio State, Oregon, or LSU. I actually expect a good season next year because the D will still be tough, even without Ansah, Ogletree, and Hadley. Still have KVN and the fast secondary. Anae will fix the offense and QB play will be much much better. Undefeated? Nah, but only 2 or 3 losses? Sure.

I love independence. I'll be off to Virginia to see old friends (lived there for 7 years) and take in the UVA game in beautiful Charlottesville. Went to Ole Miss - awesome fun. Ga Tech? Atlanta rocks. Middle Tennessee State? If you haven't been to Nashville, you're missing a great great time!

Stuck in a conference?
    PAC12? - well I live in LA (OC). SF is cool, but yawn. Seattle? Love Seattle. Corvallis, Eugene, Pullman? Naw. Big12? Nowhere - Austin is OK. Nowhere else, believe me.

I'll take INDEPENDENCE!

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    Jan. 31, 2013 5:52 p.m.

He definitely gets an A for this schedule.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Jan. 31, 2013 6:41 p.m.

I have Blue Blood in my veins but Sports at BYU under the Holmoe Administration has suffered and suffered greatly...We should be in a Major Conference right now and the fact that we are not squarely rests on Holmoe's and Samuelson's back...(along with some of the Brethern who have had a voice in this matter in SLC... If BYU would have played it right, they would be a full member of the BIG XII but instead they played it "carefully" and we suffer today as a result with only hopes in the future.

We had a reputation of being High Maintenance in the MWC (we could have left the Conference a little smoother than we did and now other schools who have left the MWC tells anybody that will listen how difficult it was to deal with us... Now the world has this opinion... When we tell other conferences that we have to control TV, or that we can't or won't show them our Financials, the "difficult" reputation permiates even deeper...

For us to recruit best athletes and play the best competition we need to compromise on most every iaaue but Sunday Play.

• LindonMan Lindon, UT
    Jan. 31, 2013 7:01 p.m.

Hey Poyman, simmer down.

• Aloha Saint George Saint George, Utah
    Jan. 31, 2013 8:00 p.m.

A+ Holmoe should get props for this kind of schedule in year number 3 of independence. You can what you want about how important football is, but Utah, Mormons, and BYU will not get as much national respect until they play and compete evenly with the big schools and conferences. They need to become a top 15 team perennially. You have to have the right schedule and recruiting classes to start. Most of the recruiting classes that were signed when independence started are coming home from missions now. We'll watch how it goes- good luck

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    Jan. 31, 2013 9:49 p.m.

Black&Blue
    St George, Utah

Here is a good analogy for you to consider.

________

Here is a real analogy for you to accept as fact.
    BYU has WAC padded its schedule for many years to get wins. Their record against ranked teams the past several years is awful. Their rankings have mostly been built upon lame scheduling. BYU has been exposed on national TV. Boise St., Utah, San Jose St.....Their national TV exposure has sub par ratings. USU had a higher bowl rating than BYU did!

• Wireless Lawyer Lehi, UT
    Feb. 1, 2013 1:25 a.m.

Anyone know what the buy out $$$ were for the three teams that cancelled game contracts with the Y?

• hmataele West Valley City, 00
    Feb. 1, 2013 2:13 a.m.

I wish the Utes the best after this season. Its sad what money has done to politics, music and now geographical college rivalries. My cougars will be successful this year and in the future. We own our own destiny. It was scary jumping off the cliff in to the unknown, but seeing how many fans we can get at such different locations warms my heart. I went to the Notre Dame game at Notre Dame Stadium last year and am planning on going to it this year too. I encourage all cougar fans to go to at least one away game this year and show how much we support our school and independence. I'm excited for the future of cougar football and the schedule Tom Holmoe has put together. Go cougars!

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Feb. 1, 2013 8:06 a.m.

Sad there's no TCU game this year. Those are always fun to attend.

• JD Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 1, 2013 10:27 p.m.

Holmoe is more than likely not even responsible for any of this schedule. The Athletic Director job at BYU is nothing more than a mouth piece/spokesmodel. He does not make any decision without approval from people above him. Whereas at most schools, the Athletic Director actually has power and is the person to make big time decisions. Holmoe has very little to do but wait for something to read to the press. So taking that into account, the schedule appears to be a step up from other years. But.....two years in a row by seasons end, BYU ends up with a #80 and higher strength of schedule. It looks like it could happen again. I can't stand that Harmon paints a picture that Provo has had it so rough in scheduling. Really? Join a conference like the rest of America and stop complaining. Oh, that's right, nobody wants Provo in their league. Finally, if the scheduling was so great, you'd think Provo would score higher in the recruiting rankings. But being ranked in the bottom third of college football for the past 2 years, while your rival has recruited two top 30 classes is really bad. Grade D

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Feb. 1, 2013 11:53 p.m.

JD,
    You need to do some better homework. Holmoe has everything to do with this schedule. From the very first phone call to reviewing and signing the contract. As for where they rank in recruiting; irrelevant. Notre dame is in the top ten in recruiting every year and all but the last couple of years they have hardly qualified to go to a bowl game. As for Utah, I bet they would rather be in the bottom 1/3rd and go bowling than to be in the top 1/3rd and stay home like this year. The way it looks, next year will be more of the same.

• #1 SLC Sports Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 3, 2013 4:53 p.m.

This is a program that should either go back to the MWC or be dropped outright. Perhaps the latter would be best sicne it matches up best with the mission of the smaller religious based WCC schools. Senior church leaders would likewise be smart to use the mission-surge period to re-evaluate and perhaps cutback the enrollemnt ceiling at BYU. Church controlled schools have no business being involved in big time college football programs that contribute to Sunday play leagues (the NFL), nor be invloved in post graduate research programs or major professional programs (Law & MBA), should NOT be part of the offerings of a church school. All BYU does is detract from the missions of state owned and operated institutions such as Utah State University, and this has all BYU has done for the past half century. The LDS church does not need a big time football program to fulfill the mission of BYU.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Feb. 4, 2013 8:54 a.m.

"54-10

Salt Lake City, UT

BYU schedule work = A
    Getting Cal on NCAA probation while the coach = F"

Definite like if Holmoe actually got Cal in trouble. Give me a 9 on the Richter for Berkeley and Palo Alto!