BYU men's basketball: Cougars bitten by Gonzaga in 'The Kennel,' 83-63 (+video)

Comments

• Tilka PORTLAND, OR
    Jan. 24, 2013 11:21 p.m.

Like I said yesterday, cougar fans needed to prepare themselves for a 20 point loss. I'm going to refrain from any comments on the officiating. The play by play guys covered it. Haws gets mauled - no foul. Olynyk took a walk to Seattle - no call. The Zags mauled BYU and got away with it.

• OC Fan Orange County, CA
    Jan. 24, 2013 11:32 p.m.

Outgunned, outplayed, outclassed.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 11:57 p.m.

Coach Rose can't say it, but Tyler was mugged & got 1 trip to the foul line...I'll say it, refs hammered Y, it was 5 on 7.

• rhappahannock Washington, DC
    Jan. 25, 2013 12:05 a.m.

It was frustrating that we were not able to close the gap in the second half. Instead, we ended up losing the second half by 1. That does not bode well for beating the Zags in Provo. There were a number of unusual statistics - Haws 0-9 and their center 9-9 likely will not happen again, but I also think the Zags will improve on their 19 turnovers.

Hopefully, Kafusi continues to develop. He went from not being on the team to playing a few minutes consistently every game. We certainly need his toughness, as we need some physical power inside. It will give us something extra for the back half of the year.

It is unfortunate that Delgado has not earned more time. I thought he played pretty well at the end of December/beginning of January. His defense could be a big help. However, Carlino has played quite well, both offensively and coming up with steals. But, he could have contributed tonight when Haws was cold.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Jan. 25, 2013 12:24 a.m.

Were these pac refs?

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Jan. 25, 2013 12:53 a.m.

Yeah...those officials...wow, man, golly geez! They made such bad calls that a player for Gonzaga shot 100% from the field and the stripe! I hate it when the refs call that.

I tried to write in pre-game that this would be a 30 pointer unless GZ cleared the bench in the second half...but the folks who monitor these posts were BYU alum and everything was denied??

Hey wait? Why am I wasting my time typing, this post will never...

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 2:50 a.m.

No DRAY it was 5 on 8 , that was the biggest homer job i have ever seen in my life, i was a referee for high school and college for over 10 years ,those refs were either paid off or they had a kid at Gonzaga,Haws was absolutely mugged many times and the trips to the foul line were absolutely unbalanced around 28 to 14 Olynyk could have walked to Pullman as many times as he traveled and no call,he should have fouled out of of the game if the refs had ever called a foul on him I counted at least 6 the,WCC refs are the worst and the problem needs to be addressed soon.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Jan. 25, 2013 3:20 a.m.

Tyler struggles against good teams. I think the pressure takes him down a couple of notches. And Davies had another off night. Gonzaga came ready to play. I think BYU will be very fortunate to make the NCAA now. I don't see the NCAA give the WCC 3 slots again, but I hope I'm wrong.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Jan. 25, 2013 3:47 a.m.

Haws couldn't hit the ocean tonight... He and Davies were double and triple teamed and BYU had no threat from the outside... I think that Sharp ended up being the High Point man so that should tell anyone who knows the BYU Team something...

BYU showed little to no patience... Even the best players can get shout down if they are double and triple teamed... They doubled Haws whenever he got the ball and unfortunately Haws didn't find the open man but instead took the contested and forced shot... He hoisted 9 attempts, but he should have only shot it about 2 or 3 times... Everytime Davies got the ball in the paint or in the low post the defense would collapse on his nad he would lose the ball (although he did play a much better 2nd half)... Rose needs some 3 ball shooters that can hit open threes... The ones he played tonight couldn't...

I thought that Winder played well, and I would have liked to have seen Delgado get some minutes at the #2...

I like Carlino but he took a few ill advised shots... The Defense should have sagged more on their bigs.

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Jan. 25, 2013 5:29 a.m.

One point! From Mr. Basketball? Cosmo Haws...one point in the elusive "marquee win"...

Say it ain't so Duck....oh well, Portland is next...he'll get back on track once he plays those high schoolers

• rafinsure Elk Grove/U.S.A., 00
    Jan. 25, 2013 6:46 a.m.

I knew this was going to be a very difficult game and a long shot even though I'm a loyal Coug fan. I have a deep respect for Coach Rose and the success he's had. However, he's going to have to broaden his recruiting pool outside the state of Utah if he hopes to win a WCC title and get more than an at-large invitation to the Big Dance. We need some of that foreign player experience like Gonzaga and Saint Mary's have brought into their programs. The foreign players have better skill sets and more shooting accuracy than the Utah home grown players. The international players are just more talented period. Also, let's hope that Saint Mary's and Gonzaga don't bolt to join the Catholic 7. If not, BYU might need to find a new home to stay relevant conference wise.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Jan. 25, 2013 6:51 a.m.

I agree with the comments on the refs. Never seen such fouling without a whistle. Amazing.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Jan. 25, 2013 7:34 a.m.

Even with the refs we were beat by the better team last night. One thing that gave me some hope is that we did manage to fight back at the end and did not give up. I think it will be a much better game on our turf in Provo. Kelly can not shoot 100% again.

I am fine by getting beat by the better team but I think we can turn it around next time.

No excuses on Refs (OK some bad calls). Their defense was excellent. Let's get them next time.

• phantomblade Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 25, 2013 7:50 a.m.

Congratulations to the Zags on a great game!

Story of the game:

Olynyk - 100%; Harris - beast; Davies - slow; Haws - 0%

You're not going to beat many Top 10 teams on the road when your leading scorer is a no show.

Sharp had a good game; Davies finally showed up in the 2nd half, but he's way too slow when he gets the ball on the block; Carlino was trying to keep BYU in the game; but Haws was completely shutdown by the tight, physical defense of Gonzaga.

BYU simply needs to adjust and learn how get Haws shots or use the tight coverage on Haws to exploit other weaknesses in the defense.

It was a nice run, but unfortunately, what many of us have suspected all season, BYU is not an NCAA tourney calibre team this year. The Cougars still have a slim chance of getting to 25+ wins, but only if they make it to the WCC final and win a game or two in the NIT.

BYU's only chance of getting an NCAA bid is winning the WCC tourney.

• Le gros legume Rexburg, ID
    Jan. 25, 2013 7:51 a.m.

BYU never recruited anyone this past year. You cannot win if you don't have the horses and we don't have them. Even Utah, with its abysmal record, can recruit Jordan Loveridge, a top 100 player this past year. Who did we get?

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Jan. 25, 2013 7:51 a.m.

I'm not sure which is worse. Getting beaten at the buzzer or getting blown off the court right from the get go.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 25, 2013 8:17 a.m.

Ugly game, but there were a few positives:

- Sharp had a good game.

- Gonzaga improved their NCAA seeding.

- BYU fans won't have to sweat Selection Sunday

Either the Cougars win the WCC tourney to get the NCAA auto-bid or they'll have to settle for a first round home game in the NIT.

Looking ahead, BYU should be much better next season with the return of Kyle Collinsworth and the addition of Lone Peak's Eric Mika and Talon Shumway.

• GD Syracuse, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 8:20 a.m.

No need complaining about referees. You get what you get. I felt BYU had no offense. They forced shot after shot. If they can't run they don't seem to have the patient to get into offensive flow and get a decent shot. Davies frustrates me as he'll take shots falling down with four guys on him. He's got a lot to learn. Gonzaga is a very good team. I love the way they play. I think they'll do well in the post season. One last comment is BYU doesn't have the size. It showed last night and it showed against St. Mary's. Hopefully they'll regroup and win some road games coming up.
    Gary

• milner Centerfield Sanpete, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 8:21 a.m.

Easy to complain about the refs when you loose by 20 points! BYU was just beaten by a better team!

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Jan. 25, 2013 8:29 a.m.

The good news is BYU will get Gonzaga again in the Marriot Center and probably again in the WCC tourney! Redemption!

• BigRich Orem, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 8:37 a.m.

I miss Dave Rice. This offense has not functioned in tough situations all season. Bad decisions, forcing shots, one on one play, stupid mistakes, all of those things should have been practiced and coached out by this point. If no one else is hitting, it's easy to focus on Haws. Gonzaga is a better team, but BYU should be better than they are.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 8:37 a.m.

Okay this was how the game went.

1. It was 5-9, don't forget 9th players of Zag Fans

2. Jolly Giant was 100% and no show on Davies (well).

3. Haws was Mugged for sure

4. Those refs swallowed their whistles

5. Glad Sharp will be around but Davies NBA or Oversea? Yeah Over sea.

6. I like Dave Rose but he needs to find big guys over sea and yes I am looking foward to local Lone Peak guys (well Mika will be there, T.J. still HS and Emery to mission. three years wait).

7. I fell asleep about two minutes left before half time and I slept well.

8. MAYBE NIT! But no better and no way to win wcc tourney with those Zebras.

How did I fare?

• estreetshuffle Window Rock, AZ
    Jan. 25, 2013 8:38 a.m.

Need some muscle under the basket. Cougars are just not good this year.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 8:40 a.m.

Losing to 10th-ranked Gonzaga on the road was not a surprise, but I was disappointed that Haws played so poorly. Teams are going to play him tough physically, so BYU is going to have to figure out how to adjust.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Jan. 25, 2013 8:53 a.m.

To all you 1-6 ute trolls:

Your crowd at the Huntsman last night would have filled the Kennel to two thirds of its capacity.

• Runner Chandler, AZ
    Jan. 25, 2013 9:01 a.m.

I was disappointed in this team in how soft they played. If the referees are going to let things go like that and allow Haws to be man-handled, then rather than complain and whine, they need to take matters into their own hands. Gonzaga played tough, physical, and nasty and BYU seemed to be looking for some type of sportsmanship award.

St. Mary's beat them up and now Gonzaga did the same thing. This team needs to toughen up, be the aggressor and when the refs are allowing rough play like that, then they need to adjust and bring the hammer. Sharp seemed like the only one that was willing to get after it. And while were at it, will somebody please tell Nate Austin to stop flopping around and get up off of the floor and compete!

• Down under Pullman, WA
    Jan. 25, 2013 9:17 a.m.

Indy Crimson,
    And how did the mighty Utes do at home against a horrible team? I noiced tht you failed to mention them. I would rather get hammered on the road by a top team that lose at home to another bottom feeder. Please lay ff the good officiating. Eventhe commentaors saw what as going on. the refs hammered the cougars in the first half hich handed the game to Gonzaga. BYU came out in the 2nd half and made some headway until the refs took over once more. Must have been PAC 10.2 refs.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 9:22 a.m.

@tom in ca

No, it's just that it's a little annoying reading all of your whining about the refs after getting absolutely manhandled by 20 points. Win with dignity and lose with dignity, if that's possible for you.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 9:32 a.m.

Looses like this make me so dang mad. The game was much closer than the score shows. If the refs made less horrible calls against us we win easy. The refs always make the Zogs win and never let us with bad calls.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 10:10 a.m.

The officiating in this game was the difference. The Zags got all the calls.

Very obvious.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Jan. 25, 2013 10:24 a.m.

"The Cougars looked completely overmatched and lethargic from the opening tip — hardly ever getting after the No. 10-ranked Zags." My word, I believe this is the most cutting, critical analysis I've read about Cougs football or basketball in the DN. This is an absolutely accurate reference. Overmatched & lethargic, indeed! And you "fans" who always base a Cougs loss on refs, hilarious! I love my Cougs, but the game I watched last night was clearly a game where we were overmatched from the opening tip-off. The refs didn't cause us to lose this game. Haws will likely never have another game like last night; however, Davies and Carlino continue to be so inconsistent and out of control. We've got a lot of problems if we hope to even sniff the NCAA Tournament this season. The loss' against the Zags and St. Mary's will hurt us. And, if we continue to play like this, there will be other losses. NIT, here we come?

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 10:34 a.m.

Typical comments about lousy officiating as the reason for the loss. Face the facts you lost to a much better, polished,and physical team. My prediction of a 15 to 20 point loss came true and I'm not surprised one bit.

• GO_COUGARS! Provo, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 11:03 a.m.

BYU is obviously the best basketball team in the conference but the refs robbed us. Every time we lose it's because of the refs. Darn refs.

• cal cougar camarillo, CA
    Jan. 25, 2013 12:10 p.m.

I saw BYU get manhandled by bigs that all look like they don't miss meals. When recruiting, we don't need 6'10" players that weigh 200 pounds. They need 40 to 50 more pounds on them.

I said this last post. We need more Kaufusi to compete with the bigger teams(St. Mary's, Gonzaga, etc.). He is our only legitimate enforcer on the team. We need to do some mauling instead of just getting mad(Dave Rose). If we don't match up with teams physically, you will have to rely on 30 feet 3 pointers that won't go in.

Also, BYU did great on Defense except for the 4th quarter. They seemed to let down. Had they not let down their guard, the final score could have been much closer.

• TrollPolice Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 12:49 p.m.

Gotta luv the massive case of denial by the kids up north, spamming BYU's game, while completely ignoring the train wreck that occurred on the hill last night.

After their brief string of moral victories, the Utes are back to playing like the same dysfunction bunch of keystone cops we've come to expect. Utah fans have been so worn down by how inept the runnin' Utes have become, that they can't even MUSSter the energy to whine or critique.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 25, 2013 2:10 p.m.

gonzaga has a great team this year, no shame in losing in spokane

go zags go

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 25, 2013 2:55 p.m.

poor officiating always favors the home team. Gonzaga got absolutely hommered at Butler. The officials will favor BYU in Provo, but it won't matter. Gonzaga is the best team west of the Rockies; and it's not even close.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 25, 2013 2:56 p.m.

I like Rose but this game is on him. Gonzaga psyched Haws completely out of his mind. He wasn't doing his team any good, yet he continued to force shot after shot. Davies, same thing. When the defense is clamped down on these guys they need to look for the open man. When the ball is fed to Davies in the post, you figure half the time the result will be a very poor shot or turnover. He holds on to the ball way too long and holds does the same jukes every time. Olnyk made him look like a grade schooler. Not even comparable.

Rose needs to get this team playing TEAM basketball. Right now there is too much selfishness and impatience from Davies, Carlino, and Haws. Now that the rest of the conference knows how to get into Haws' head you'll see games like this more often, especially when the refs are prone to swallow their whistle in a physical game. Too many guys think they can be a Jimmer.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 25, 2013 3:29 p.m.

The Refs cost BYU the game? Really?
    Fouls: Gonzaga 20, BYU 18
    Free Throws: Gonzaga 19-23, BYU 17-22
    FG %: Gonzaga 57%, BYU 36%
    Rebounds: Gonzaga 33, BYU 23

No, BYU got out played, out coached and out shot by a much better Gonzaga team. I thought that BYU fans only made excuses when they lost to Utah. Boy was I wrong. I do give Big Ups for some of the BYU fans though; like SoCalReader for shooting it straight and keeping it real.

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    Jan. 25, 2013 4:05 p.m.

BYU needed a Noah Hartsock last night--his absence is the most-glaring difference between last year's team and this year's.

• YGradFan CENTERVILLE, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 4:23 p.m.

@Spokane Ute, Keep in mind that some of those posters that are claiming the refs cost the Cougars the game are ute trolls in disguise. I don't think any true Coug fan that knows anything about basketball, and that watched the game, could claim this. Gonzaga was just a much better team. They shut down both Haws and Davies. We can't win if these two don't have decent games. The other players are too inconsistent.

To the ute trolls: amazing that you can get on a BYU article and try to tell us how bad the Cougs are, and yet your team can't win a game, at home, against the other cellar-dwellars of the PAC 10.2. Go critique your own team. There's plenty there that needs critiquing. And, by the way, you can start bragging about the size of the WCC gyms when you can actually get 6,000 fans out to watch your team.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 25, 2013 4:32 p.m.

YGradFan

I hear ya' guy. Thanks for the response and the accurate post. Like I said before, no shame in losing to Gonzaga. I've lived in Spokane for almost 7 years; and this is by far the best Zags team I've seen. Very solid, very deep. A probable first round pick in Olynik and a second round pick in Harris. Take care and have a good one!

• Tilka PORTLAND, OR
    Jan. 25, 2013 4:40 p.m.

I think we can expect Haws will struggle in most of the away games this season.

• Pc12 Sandy, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 4:45 p.m.

I'm a huge byu fan, and have to say that the refs were not the reason we lost this game. Byu needs to focus on making every Trip down the court a key possession rather than just chucking up shots. Haws looked awful last night, and I'm afraid he is going to have trouble in the future, his quickness is a concern. But hopefully he learns from this game and improves. Really looking forward to Kyle collinsworth coming back next year. The kid is a stud.. Carlino needs to be more of a leader out there. Byu really needs a game manager out there on the floor to control the tempo

• Pc12 Sandy, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 4:46 p.m.

Go cougs

• Old Navy Provo, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 5:54 p.m.

Tough loss. Does anyone know if Haws has mono or some other sickness? Last night, he looked unhealthy and like he was dragging out on the court.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 25, 2013 11:32 p.m.

Old Navy, if he, or any other player, had mono, no competent healthcare professional would ever clear him to play.

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Jan. 26, 2013 2:37 a.m.

Hi Brother Down Under
    Thank you for asking for further input from me. I'm honored.

1. I commented on this board about how poorly BYU played. I also commented on the Utah board, on how badly we consistently play. I also commented on a political story and did not speak of either game or team, I hope you find it appropriate to comment on specific topics, by article?

2. Gonzaga had 2 more fouls called on them than your undersized, under skilled team from a meaningless conference. They had 20 fouls. BYU committed 18.

3. Did the officials cause a Zag player to shoot 100% against you? Or were my posts or the commentators to blame? It couldn't be poor defense could it? Surely BYU is perfect defensively...

Thank you.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Jan. 29, 2013 10:19 a.m.

Uteanymous - Shumway is a WR?