Family

Provo band Neon Trees to appear on byutv

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 22, 2013 6:32 p.m.

With hair that would get them kicked out of byu, and I have heard their music has some swears in it, I can't believe byu would promote such things!

• Heidi T. Farmington, Utah
    Jan. 22, 2013 8:43 p.m.

What??????? Really????????????

• MaryH BLACKWELL, OK
    Jan. 23, 2013 6:32 a.m.

you're kidding, right????

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Jan. 23, 2013 6:49 a.m.

May I ask Chris B., do you work for the Honor Code Department at BYU? You seem to know EVERYTHING. You don't seem to be bored yet to make strange comments everytime BYU appeared on DN. Why don't you just move along with your life and relax.

I never heard of this group Neon Trees and their image really surprised me. I wonder what ThePianoGuys thought of them?

• raybies Layton, UT
    Jan. 23, 2013 7:09 a.m.

Neon Wha?

Are you sure they've made it big?

• wilson-kelly Vale, OR
    Jan. 23, 2013 9:09 a.m.

Well, after a little research it appears HALF of the group is still LDS.
    When mormons hype their own, it kinda makes me nervous. It seems to never fail as a set up for disaster. Maybe we should recognize Christian musicians, there are some good ones out there.
    From the Pittsburg City Paper, Aug. 15, 2012:
    "Perhaps Neon Trees currently downplay their Mormon roots to avoid alienating their growing mainstream audience. Severson notes "a fear in the Mormon community of media scrutiny. … It's a church with a lot of troubled background, and Mormon musicians risk being misunderstood."
    The 'CHURCH' has a troubled background?... yeah...uh,huh...okay.... whatever floats your boat....
    Yeah, it appears Severson has 'out grown' the church thing. Won't be peddling this group to my youth.

• Ender Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 23, 2013 9:23 a.m.

LOVE Neon Trees!!! Great music and even better live. Great to see a hometown band making a go at it on the big stage.

• Y_is_for_Yale Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 23, 2013 11:40 a.m.

Forget BYU. With hair like that, they'd get kicked out of NYU.

Maybe a little less Paul Mitchell and a little more creativity. This band's music is as stale as the TV channel they'll appear on.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Jan. 23, 2013 11:41 a.m.

A great local and Now world famous band who gives back to their community.
    Cancelled a PArk City concert because the promoters lied and were charging MORE than the agreed ticket price, so they cancelled that show and are performing for $10 buck in Provo

I see we still unabashedly judge books by their cover round these bouts'

• Richard Larson Galt, CA
    Jan. 23, 2013 11:47 a.m.

Oh thank goodness that I
    DO NOT get this channel!!!!

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Jan. 23, 2013 12:02 p.m.

And here I thought that the DN only overhyped BYU football players (yes, I like my Cougs). Apparently, it crosses over into "LDS" entertainment? RE: Wilson-Kelly, good research. Too bad readers have to do the "indepth" research for the DN writers.

• statman Lehi, UT
    Jan. 23, 2013 3:40 p.m.

Rich - if you get this website, you DO get this channel...

• jj_74 Seal Beach, CA
    Jan. 24, 2013 2:58 a.m.

I don't see why you guys are being so hard on BYUtv. Lots of their new shows seem to be outside the box, which is good, because I never heard about anybody watching the channel before that. Don't get me wrong, I'm an active member of the LDS church, but when I watch TV, I don't want someone preaching at a podium in Idaho. The shows that BYUtv is currently producing are safe shows with uplifting messages (including audio-files) that are actually trying to be entertaining! I really don't see what's wrong with that. Can't Mormons listen to fun music and watch entertaining programs?

Also, most of the bands on Audio-Files aren't LDS. Isn't it cool that Neon Trees has Mormon/Utah roots? I think it is!

• Wanda B. Rich Provo, UT
    Jan. 24, 2013 9:40 a.m.

Wow, quite a few judgmental commenters today. I'm in my 50s, and, frankly, I really like some of their music, which I can say for a lot of bands and solo artists. Neon Trees have got talent, particularly Tyler G. So, before you judge, why don't you read a little about them and listen to their music.

As for representing BYU and their LDS faith, I think they're doing a much better job than, say, Mitt Romney did. Oh, but there I go, being judgmental. Well, at least I know enough about both to make a judgment. I'll take Neon Trees any day over that other RM from BYU.