Utah

Overstock CEO arrested for having gun in luggage, airport police say

Comments

• Gravedigger72 DRAPER, UT
    Jan. 17, 2013 6:57 p.m.

He forgot he had a gun with ammo in the magazine in one of his bags? I hope he has no children, grandchildren, neighbors or anyone else who might have stumbled upon that bag and not been trained in weapons safety. What a knucklehead!

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Jan. 17, 2013 7:24 p.m.

Easy mistake.
    Could of stopped a terrorist attack.

• not here COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
    Jan. 17, 2013 7:26 p.m.

And they say anti gun nuts are not all there. And he probbly belongs to the NRA.

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Jan. 17, 2013 7:42 p.m.

"Patrick was traveling and packed a bag that he hadn't used in quite some time," said Overstock President Jonathan Johnson. "He didn't realize that he had left a gun in the bag."

He's either a liar or is careless with his firearms. Who needs a home intruder to threaten you with a gun when you can stumble on a forgotten loaded firearm while rummaging through your closet?

• I Choose Freedom Atlanta, GA
    Jan. 17, 2013 7:50 p.m.

"What may be even more disturbing was the fact that all of the firearms were loaded when TSA officers found them during routine screening of carry-on bags." Really? You were disturbed that someone had a "loaded" weapon? What good is an unloaded weapon? And if the person did not realize it was in their bag then of course it would be loaded. No one carries an unloaded weapon. May as well not have one.

Makes perfect sense doesn't it? A wealthy man, CEO of a large corporation, more successful than most of us will ever be, and he tries to sneak a weapon onto an airplane so he could do heaven only knows what sort of evil. Yep, absolutely must have done it on purpose. The only thing that makes sense for sure.

I bet he is also part of the evil 1%. That should do him in for sure!

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Jan. 17, 2013 8:04 p.m.

I find it interesting how the DesNews' censors put down any comments that are critical or demeaning of others, unless of course they're critical of those on the right side of the aisle. So, for them it's okay to use terms like "knucklehead" and "nuts".

And what's wrong with the NRA's staunch defense of our 2nd Amendment rights? They're entitled to their 1st Amendment right to free speech just like the radical anti-American left is in their calling for the disarming of the country.

I pity those of you who believe America and its constitution aren't special, who are so willing to give up freedom for handouts and phoney security. I realize that this specific right to bear arms is key to our nation's freedom. Maybe you do too and that's why you regard us as the enemy.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Jan. 17, 2013 8:11 p.m.

Why can't we carry weapons on planes?

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Jan. 17, 2013 8:56 p.m.

What a responsible gun owner!

A truly responsible gun owner knows where his weapons are at ALL times. ALL times.

I can tell you exactly where my pistol is - safely at home in a gun safe. I didn't forget it and leave it my computer bag, backpack, or anywhere else.

He definitely needs his CCW permit taken away. He obviously doesn't know how to care for a weapon.

• DeepintheHeart Lewisville, TX
    Jan. 17, 2013 10:24 p.m.

If the luggage had been checked, and the clip was empty, bullets carried separately, he'd have been clear.

• EDM Castle Valley, Utah
    Jan. 17, 2013 11:32 p.m.

A shining example of a responsible gun owner! Sorry I ever said our gun laws are too loose.

• Noodlekaboodle Poplar Grove, UT
    Jan. 18, 2013 5:49 a.m.

@xscribe
    Well, if you broke out a window or pierced the hull of the plane the plane would either lose air pressure and possibly kill people or the pressure change can rip open the hull also killing people, so that would be some reasons. Another is do you really want people carrying guns when they are doing something as horrible as flying?

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Jan. 18, 2013 6:03 a.m.

"He didn't realize that he had left a gun in the bag."

With Gun ownership comes a big responsibility.

"The gun was among three firearms detected in three days at Salt Lake City International Airport security checkpoints."

Some people just don't get it. How refreshing would it be if gun advocates and the NRA stood against this type of irresponsible behavior. Their credibility would skyrocket.

This could fall into the category of

You may not be responsible enough to own a gun if.....

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    Jan. 18, 2013 6:51 a.m.

Let's not make excuses here. A responsible gun owner does not forget where he stashed a gun. He knows where it is at all times.

• vdubbin' Ogden, UT
    Jan. 18, 2013 7:44 a.m.

I have "a gun or two"... Sometimes I look in my safe and say "Hey! I haven't seen you for a while!". But seriously. Firearms aren't like that $5 bill you stuffed in a back pocket when you ate at McDonald's. You don't forget you have them. I have to call this guy on his story.

• vdubbin' Ogden, UT
    Jan. 18, 2013 7:50 a.m.

Also, it's not "clip"; it's "magazine". We can discuss the effects of cabin depressurization at 35,000ft, but anyone who asks why you need a gun on a plane must not have been around on September 11, 2001. Armed passengers could have prevented countless death and destruction. Air Marshals can carry, and they use frangible ammo that is readily available from companies like DRT. I'll let you look into why it is "plane-safe ammo".
    There are lots of reasons "why", but the fact remains that this gentleman likely just wanted to feel safe on his flight. Can't say I blame him, but as firearm owners, we have to be very cognizant of the laws and hold ourselves to a higher standard, ESPECIALLY in this day and age.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Jan. 18, 2013 7:59 a.m.

I didn't ask why one needs a gun on a plane. I asked why one can't have a gun on a plane!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Jan. 18, 2013 8:43 a.m.

This is hilarious. How many guns does this guy own? Obviously he owns so many that he can't remember where he left them all. I can just imagine him sitting down on his couch one day, feeling like he's sitting on something uncomfortable, lifting up the couch cushion and finding a loaded Glock under it. "Oh good, I've been wondering where that was."

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Jan. 18, 2013 8:51 a.m.

"Air Marshals can carry"

Yes they are. However, they have certainly been screened quite extensively and most likely have been through more than a 4 hour gun class where no shooting is required.

What they went through to be able to carry a gun on a plane would never pass mustard with the NRA for your average citizens.

And Mike Richards. We still have not heard where you draw the line. Any guns anywhere without infringement seems to suggest NO boundaries at all. Is that your stance?

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Jan. 18, 2013 9:23 a.m.

@vdubbin'

"There are lots of reasons "why", but the fact remains that this gentleman likely just wanted to feel safe on his flight."

That's not what he said. He said (through his attorney) that he FORGOT it was there. So which is it? An honest (but potentially deadly) mistake, or he wanted to feel safe? If he can't account for his loaded weapons, he should be packin' them around.

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Jan. 18, 2013 10:35 a.m.

V'Dubbin,
    "but anyone who asks why you need a gun on a plane must not have been around on September 11, 2001. Armed passengers could have prevented countless death and destruction"

Yes, so could locking cockpit doors. Now we have them. A locking cockpit door can't accidentally punch a hole in the side of the fuselage and depressurize the cabin.

• Richard Larson Galt, CA
    Jan. 18, 2013 11:51 a.m.

CheeseAndRice pat!!!

• Forgotten Man Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 18, 2013 1:59 p.m.

I wish Patrick would be more careful with his weapons but I have no problem with his carrying his gun on the plane. Maybe TSA should just ask for CCW permits for gunholders and then just concentrate on stopping bombers.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Jan. 18, 2013 2:27 p.m.

"Maybe TSA should just ask for CCW permits for gunholders and then just concentrate on stopping bombers."

No thanks.

It takes a 4 hour class and shooting the weapon is not required. You really think that everyone with a CCP should be allowed on a plane? Scary

• Mrs TAP Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 18, 2013 2:35 p.m.

It makes sense to me. Airport security found a knife in my carry-on; it had slipped down inside an outside pocket where I forgot it had ever been there. They really gave me a bad time till my daughter put the idea in their heads that my ex had put it there to get me in trouble.

Funny thing, though, is how many different airport security checks I had gone through before it was found (at least five)!

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 19, 2013 2:25 a.m.

If Second amendment rights are unlimited. Doesn't this law violate the unrestrained freedom to bear arms at all times. What is a person is confronted by the evil government on a plane?