Utah

Vernal smoothie shop owner charges $1 'liberal tax'

Comments

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Jan. 15, 2013 11:23 p.m.

If I had a business in a liberal state, I would move to a conservative state, lay off all my liberal employees and hire new employees in my new home.

Oh, wait, I have two businesses in Washington State (just a little left of center), but no employees. One of the businesses is a non profit business (not the way I planned it). I also have a job so I can't move.

I can dream!

• Salsero Provo, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 12:44 a.m.

Well, it's Utah. Business should be reduced by only 26%.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Jan. 16, 2013 5:52 a.m.

Completely the business owners prerogative.

But, could you imagine the outrage on Fox if this occurred in the reverse?

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 6:28 a.m.

This is an honest business man, and there aren't too many of those around anymore!

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 6:44 a.m.

Back in the 60's, foods like smoothies would have been considered liberal fare. Hippies (liberals) advocated eating fruits, and nuts and granola and not eating steak (conservative food).

As time has progressed, it is quite commonly accepted that the liberals were right, at least on food and also on the Vietnam war.

• Susan in VA Alexandria, VA
    Jan. 16, 2013 6:54 a.m.

This just reinforces what I've felt for years ... that conservatives have gone off the deep end and feel it's their way or you pay (one way or the other). Can you imagine the Headlines if a liberal charged extra to conservative customers? Rush Limbaugh would have a field day putting this down if the shoe was on the other foot. Outrageous doesn't even begin to describe this.

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 7:00 a.m.

Interesting concept, even if it isn't grounded in reality. I'm afraid I would do it a bit differently if it were my shop, though. Any conservative who openly admits that they and many other conservatives benefit from services provided by the federal government and/or can describe to me the non-existent GOP plan to balance the federal budget gets a free smoothie. Automatons like Mr. Peterson will be charged the $5 banality surcharge. I'm guessing I would collect a lot of surcharges but give away very few smoothies.

• Clinton Draper, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 7:30 a.m.

@JoeBlow It IS happening in reverse. What do you think all the liberal whinging for "the rich" to pay "their fair share" is?

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Jan. 16, 2013 7:42 a.m.

He's got the right idea. If people could actually see and feel the pain of how much liberal / progressive ideas cost the country; they would think twice before voting for representatives that support such issues as:

Climate Change (AKA Global Warming or is it freezing?)
    Environmentalism (Save the owl, the snail darter, a fish, etc.)
    Free rent, food, health care (Though someone has to pay for it.)

If there was a way to force just those who support such ideas to have to pay for them, while the rest of us got a free ride, there would be a lot less liberal / progressive thinking around.

Oh wait a minute, that's already what they do to those of us who don't support such ideas!

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Jan. 16, 2013 7:47 a.m.

Ah yes, the poor, abused rich.

Let me ask you? If the deck is so stacked against this group how is it that

Kind of hard to feel sorry for them.

• Meadow Lark Mark IDAHO FALLS, ID
    Jan. 16, 2013 7:52 a.m.

The sad thing is and what perhaps many refuse to accept is that we need a less powerful federal government and stronger state governments. The social programs should be administered by the States for their individual circumstances, and the federal government should be for national defense and repair of the interstate highways. The federal government has too much power that it abuses.

• Bill Shakespeare Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 8:06 a.m.

He's pretty brave drawing the ire of the vast throngs of liberals in Vernal. He wouldn't be pandering to commonly held views for the sake of sales, now would he?

• Bill Shakespeare Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 8:07 a.m.

RE: ravalens2

I don't think you'd like to live in a country where the rich aren't forced share with the poor. You'd have putrid city scapes and millions homeless savage vagabonds roaming the land, threatening you and your loved ones. But you would have lower taxes.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Jan. 16, 2013 8:09 a.m.

I disagree, there would be no outrage at Fox. Why? Because they would support the idea that it's clearly the business owner's choice to decide how they want to price their products.

Fox would also want the government should stay out of it, and let the people decide if they wish to support such a business. I believe Fox would say, "Let them fail or succeed based on the merits of what they offer the public."

It's liberals and progressives who would force the owner to offer not only equal pricing to all, but free smoothies to those who can't afford to pay for them.

If you support liberal / progressive ideas then support them with your money, just keep your hands off of mine.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Jan. 16, 2013 8:23 a.m.

"The poor abused rich."

Yes, you got that right, at least for those who report earned income.

For the year 2010, the top 10% of Americans paid 69.94% of the income taxes in the U.S. That's almost 70% of the income taxes paid. (Souce: U.S. Government)

If you increase it to the top 25% then those citizens are paid 86.34% of the income taxes for the year 2010.

The rest of us, (Yes, including me.) paid only about 14% of the taxes.

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 8:27 a.m.

LOL

Well, that's a good start. But what he should do is give the liberals only have of what they paid for and then give the other half to someone else (or just throw it away).

I love how liberals get upset over this stuff - real life application of their beliefs isn't so good.

• catcrazed Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 8:31 a.m.

Perhaps he could have people vote with $1 to a jar that defends his viewpoint on energy, or one that opposes it. I am a conservative person who thinks all viewpoints in our country should be listened to with respect, not derision. It ought to be safe for all of us to speak our minds.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 8:36 a.m.

I'm a staunchly conservative Obama supporter. Gimme the discount, and maybe think about how counter productive it is to label people.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 8:37 a.m.

Great comment, catcrazed. You nailed it.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Jan. 16, 2013 8:40 a.m.

Putrid landscapes and millions homeless?

I seriously doubt it. There would be more than enough savings to maintain our parks, cities and yes, even offer some help to those who through no fault of their own are unable to support themselves, if we eliminated the bloated government bureaucracy, unnecessary wars and kicked the undeserving off of welfare and government handouts.

There is a truism in government. Whatever you subsidize, you get more of.

Want more people on welfare? Then give it out like it was free candy. Want more federal debt? Keep providing free food, housing, health care, et cetera and it will surely happen.

That, in my opinion is "taxation without representation;" since they don't have a voice in how we are spending their money.

• bountifulmomofsix BOUNTIFUL, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 9:08 a.m.

Hmmm...my mom was as far from a 'Hippie' as you can get but I grew up drinking raw milk, eating whole grains, veggies from the garden, etc. My family got to eat 'store bought cereal' once a year. Christmas. My mom did her best to feel us well and none of my siblings were overweight until they began working at fast food joints and living on their own. Before convenience food, people ate much better but it didn't save George Washington's teeth. SO, the smoothie shop thing is not a "hippie" thing. It is just that the hippies announced their going back to basics very loudly-and more.
    I think that those who are offended by the smoothie shop owner's pricing decisions can vote by avoiding the shop. No harm done. No one needs to be offended.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Jan. 16, 2013 9:12 a.m.

Good for him, he can do whatever he wants within the law.

We need to support the disabled and poor who are willing to help themselves and try their best. There is far too much aid being given out and far too many who are abusing the system. Cuts need to be made and abusers need to be cut off. No more steak, lobster, fast food being paid for with food stamps.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 9:16 a.m.

The state constitution gives taxation authority to the legisltature, not smoothie shops. In true conservative fashion, this busniess owner chooses to praise the constitution, but disregard its content.

• Ultra Bob Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 9:45 a.m.

So what’s new? The other businessmen in Utah and throughout the nation use their commercial business to manipulate the governments policies.

Actually, I would like for all businesses to post their political views. I would even make it a requirement of the business license.

If the customer, consumer, was aware of the businesses politics he could vote with his dollars in a much more democratic election than the political elections that are rigged against him.

Since almost everybody is a consumer, the voter turnout would be terrific. No registration, no age limits, no residency requirements and no voter fraud.

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 9:48 a.m.

Dear Moderate:

Actually the practice he has engaged in is something in the world of economics that we call "price discrimination." And while it's corky and kind of dumb it's perfectly legal and in all reality is not a tax at all. Taxes are levied by the government--not individuals. This practice of "price discrimination" is practiced throughout the country in many different ways. When you buy a car, house, or really anything you bargain for. If you're a student or a senior citizen you can get discounts. It really happens all the time and there is nothing unconstitutional about it.

I really do suggest you "moderates" (code name for "liberal" and "progressive" of which many are members of the Republican party) try taking a few courses in economics, finance, and accounting. You will quickly understand why you are driving the country off a cliff (temporarily avoided one). Let me clue you in. It's because you encourage incredibly bad fiscal policies not grounded in reason.

• Most Truthful and Patriotic Layton, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 10:03 a.m.

Thanks for the warning.
    We've just added this business to our "shun list".

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 10:11 a.m.

Doesn't intend to offend? Uh huh, with the liberal population of Vernal being almost nonexistant it's like kids in high school making jokes about a kid to each other and then that kid happens to hear so the excuse is basically "hey I didn't think he'd actually hear it".

• Utah Austringer Vernal, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 10:39 a.m.

Let me tell you what started this man down this road and why he has so much community support. When Obama was first elected and named Ken Salazar as Secretary of the Interior, the first thing that happened was the cancellation of drilling leases on public lands which had already been paid for. This turned off our economic spigot. Business just shut down, houses were foreclosed, and many people lost everything. 5 years later, the leases are not renewed and the Federal Government still has our drilling lease money. NO REFUND. That's theft by deception. Current liberal policy nearly destroyed our community. So, liberal media sponges, buy your smoothies in another state...please.

• ECR Burke, VA
    Jan. 16, 2013 10:43 a.m.

rvalens2 said, "He's got the right idea. If people...feel the pain of how much liberal / progressive ideas cost the country; they would think twice...":

Climate Change (Really? We're still debating that?)
    Environmentalism (Anyone old enough who traveled to major cities in the 70's and who re-visits those locations today can clearly see (and I mean that) that the air is more clear and environment has changed for the better - because of environmentalism)
    Free rent, food, health care (Did you deduct mortgage interest from your taxes last year? Would you say that is equal to subsidized housing? And just who is getting free healthcare - freeloaders who refuse to pay for insurance even though they can afford it and so they use the local emergency room as their doctor's office. Then of course there are those with no job or such low income that they can't afford healthcare. Have you noticed how much more someone get's charged by a hospital when they don't have insurance? But in this wonderful country I guess we should just let those people die on the street or suffer in silence. Is that what you're promoting?)

• common twit Vernal, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 11:10 a.m.

I live in Vernal. I would consider myself middle of the road in politics. I have just watched George over the past few years. (I don't know him personally) The one thing I can say about him is he knows how to promote. He came into town and tried to make his business work out. He noticed that a lot of people out here work in the energy industry. In his slow times, he would stand out with a sign asking for people to honk if they love drilling. This man seems to know how to target his demographics. There are probably 10% liberals out here. Why should he not market to the majority? Personally I just think he is a brilliant marketer. I did not even know there was a juice shop here until I read the article. Now I might go and get a juice.

• Clinton Draper, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 11:18 a.m.

@JoeBlow It isn't about feeling sorry about anybody. It is about the irresponsible ignorance and hypocrisy of those who consider themselves "liberals."

If you support thieving the rewards of labor from those who educate themselves, take financial risks, and build wealth, because you don't think it is fair that somebody sitting on their couch playing their Xbox all day doesn't enjoy the same financial rewards for their "labor," then, in my opinion, you've proven yourself a stranger, and perhaps even an enemy, to reality, intelligence, and common sense.

• Harley Rider Small Town, CT
    Jan. 16, 2013 12:03 p.m.

Well once a politician gets to Washington and served a term - he/she will realize that there is no major difference in a conservative or a liberal - from the right - left

They all as a collective group have sold America out and just put on that old dog and pony show - Republican vs Democrat

Hows that change working out in your neck of the woods ?

Who passed all them Anti American Pieces of Legislation ie- Patriot Act - NDAA ? Who passed all them Anti American Trade Agreements-ie- Nafta - Gatt ?
    Who ran up all that Debt ? We are really beyond flat broke - who keeps sending all our taxpayer monies to all them Foreign Countries ?

Liberals - Conservatives - NeoCons All Rubbish

• Utah Amicus Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 12:05 p.m.

Vernal is a tough area. The oil bosses bring fear to their employees by telling them if they vote Democrat (Obama) they will lose their jobs. Looks like they are still working but they fall for it all the time. I hope this guy figures his taxes correctly, the extra dollar needs to be taxed and reported as does the spit and whatever else is found in his smoothies. No decent person would go into his store, even if they are a member of the GOP.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Jan. 16, 2013 12:05 p.m.

Liberals love taxes so much. So, what's the big deal?

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Jan. 16, 2013 12:30 p.m.

A tax on liberals AND spinach smoothies? What a nightmare.

• merich39 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 12:51 p.m.

How exactly does he know who is a liberal and who is a conservative? I'd guess he asks for a picture ID and if the person has Jethro or Lilly Mae as their first name, or Clampett as their last name, then they qualify for the conservative discount.

• Belching Cow Sandy, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 1:23 p.m.

@Joe Blow
    "If the deck is so stacked against this group how is it that
    they have managed to amass a bigger and bigger percentage of this nations wealth."

It's pretty simple really. They work hard and have the capacity to better themselves.

• Belching Cow Sandy, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 1:27 p.m.

@Most Truthful and Patriotic
    "We've just added this business to our "shun list"."

I'm sure this business owner will be crying himself to sleep tonight.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Jan. 16, 2013 1:30 p.m.

If it's "cute" or "legal" to do this based on political views,
    it should also pass the muster on other differences as well.

For example --

Men $4.95
    Women $5.95

or

Mormons $4.95
    Non-Mormons $5.95

or

Whites $4.95
    Non-Whites $5.95

I think a lawsuit will be wiping that smug smile right off his Conservative face.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Jan. 16, 2013 1:38 p.m.

I'd be curious to know if the IRS will be conducting an audit of his books and if he is truely "reporting" those extra "taxes" he's so publically collecting?

...

• Richard Smoker Provo, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 1:43 p.m.

I adore this man.

• wasatchfrontman Murray, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 1:45 p.m.

It makes me wonder if he got an SBA loan to start his business. Dad Blamed Government

• rick122948 boise, id
    Jan. 16, 2013 1:59 p.m.

@rvalens2

speaking of unnecessary wars - your conservatives are the ones that keep putting us into them and then blaming the ones that oppose it as un-american, liberal, or pacifist.

As a vietnam vet(disabled) I think it is amazing that conservative Republicans think they have the ownership of patriotism, then many sit back and send the less affluent off to fight their wars. Take a look around and see who put us in this hole and continues to fill their pockets to keep most of us in the group paying the 14% while they keep getting richer. Trust me the 1%ers aren't inviting you or me to join their club. the 99% doing the grunt work is how they maintain the economic disparity in this country and around the world. For me I'll spend my $5.95 plus tax somewhere that respects ALL people even if they think differently than the owner.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 3:02 p.m.

LOL a lot of people posting with out any facts or knowledge, law suit hardly, tax, no he doesn't charge a tax, just a higher price. The DN said tax not him. As for the price, he says they are both listed on the price board. He only asks what price the customer wants to pay. Paying the higher product price is a choice of the customer he makes no judgement. As he said in an interview, he has a number of liberal friends that come in and pay the higher price, making a statement. He doesn't demand a higher price. He does not demand identification or proof of political leanings. Liberals are really uptight individuals. LOL. Oh and for facts, drilling in the Vernal area with Obama went from sixty rigs down to about seventeen. Obama did kill jobs in Vernal.

• toshi1066 OGDEN, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 4:26 p.m.

Do I smell free advertising here? Yes, yes I think I do.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Jan. 16, 2013 7:06 p.m.

I wonder what his tax on moderates is... 50 cents? I wonder how disappointed he would be to find out a bunch of moderate academics are the ones keeping US oil production competitive. If it weren't for a bunch of people in my business, he wouldn't have a hole to ..... in.

But it is a clever campaign.... he got the attention he wanted.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 7:06 p.m.

Making money and a profit off politics. He has the makings of a conservative politician.

• AZKID Mapleton, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 9:57 p.m.

The great lie of liberalism is that conservatives hate the poor, would cast off people to a life of poverty, etc. etc. The reality is that conservatives care for and are more than willing to help the poor. The problem we have with the status quo, is in how the government goes about it. Rather than helping people, the liberal establishment and their methods go about creating dependency which has the very effect of making people poor in the first place--by messing up the natural work=reward equation of the human condition.

I am all for a safety net. I am all for caring for the poor and have devoted many personal hours of my time and my own resources to doing precisely that. I am all for caring for those in need and giving them a hand up, and yes, even a hand out--according to their need and circumstances. But I, along with every other conservative, am against creating poverty by mis-applying and over-applying public assistance. I hate to see poverty. It pains me. And I hate to see my government causing it!

• Lagomorph Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 17, 2013 12:49 p.m.

If the proprietor really wanted to separate liberals from their money, shouldn't he charge them less? Lower price translates to greater sales volume, so total revenue goes up. A self-proclaimed conservative ought to understand markets. He seems more interested in the "gotcha" element than in getting liberals to hand over their money.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Jan. 18, 2013 10:02 a.m.

If I called myself a Democrat, or was part of the 47% including many Rebpulcians who pay no taxes --

Will this guy give me a "freebie"?

• Aggielove Cache county, USA

Mormons $4.95
    Non-Mormons $5.95

or

Whites $4.95
    Non-Whites $5.95
    ------------------------------
    Open Minded Mormon made some great points. What she missed of course is that every item she listed is either religious or what you are. Both areas are protected by the constitution. Being liberal or conservative is what you choose and therefore is not protected by the constitution. And no, you are not "born" that way (liberal or conservative).

• Civilization Oakland, CA
    March 23, 2013 2:25 p.m.

"There is a truism in government. Whatever you subsidize, you get more of." Such as more Big Oil?

"Want more people on welfare? Then give it out like it was free candy." This is pure straw man. "Want more federal debt?" Can you make a real argument that 'free candy' is such a substantial driver of the debt?

"I for one, cannot support the idea of kicking our debt down the road leaving our children and grandchildren to pay off what we so stupidly spent." Did you scream at the Bush administration for the Iraq debacle, which is in fact a significant driver of the debt we're paying for now?
    The loss of revenue by giving the wealthiest this great break, is this 'savings' for the federal goverment somehow to you?

You have the most simplistic [and reactionary] ideas and as far as I can tell regurgitating them mindlessly is sufficient. Do you think you're saying something to an adult here?

• Johnnie B taos, NM
    March 26, 2013 6:36 p.m.

As a liberal, I would be happy to pay an extra dollar, if it went to the health care of underpaid restaurant workers. But the Heritage Foundation gets enough money from the KOCH brothers. They don't need my help.