Faith

Tiffany Gee Lewis: The staying power of Star Wars

Comments

• theworm63 Downers Grove, IL
    Jan. 16, 2013 7:21 a.m.

I love Star Wars and so does my son and my wife. I think the reason why it sticks around is because it teaches eternal truths about life and how we should live. It talks about an all-powerful force that tells us if we just believe, have faith and do what is right, we will have power beyond our wildest dreams. Hmm, that sounds familiar. So I say let it ride. Its time you got on board.

• whynot67 Sandy, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 9:27 a.m.

When I was going through my pre-divorce separation, I took my kids to see Star Wars Episode III. My oldest, who was 14 at the time, leaned over to me and said he noticed a parallel between Anakin's switch to the "Dark Side" and the changes his mom made in her lifestyle. He said "Mom's becoming a Sith." I couldn't argue...but I did laugh.

• Mormon Wookiee Riverton, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 9:31 a.m.

Tiffany, you totally just made me laugh out loud. “So if Lorenzo Snow lived that long ago, I guess he wouldn’t have known George Lucas?” Classic! I can't wait to have kids. You are a patient mom. :)

• donn layton, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 11:46 a.m.

Soon after George Lucas came out with STAR WARS, Episode IV back in 1977, he was quoted as saying, "Yes, thru STAR WARS, I am teaching a religion, my beliefs in Buddhism and Eastern Mysticism."

STAR WARS goes far beyond mainstream Buddhism and harmless Mysticism.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 5:41 p.m.

The power of fiction is tremendous.

And both Star Wars and the prevailing Utah religion are fiction.

• Lindsay Payson, UT
    Jan. 16, 2013 8:51 p.m.

My daughter brought home a book about the droids of SW. She would ask me about them, and I knew all their names and what they did. She thought I was awesome. She is also a big Vader fan (bawled when he died) and couldn't understand why Luke wouldn't join him, I'm in trouble.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Jan. 17, 2013 7:00 a.m.

If you have to choose between Cloud City or Alderaan, choose the Cloud City, because Alderaan gets destroyed by the Death Star.

Just thought you should know.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Jan. 19, 2013 8:39 p.m.

I wore out on Star Wars several years ago--on the 12th time I had to show the rented video to a group of school kids all in the course of a couple of school days! Believe me, it got VERY boring!

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    Jan. 25, 2013 6:19 p.m.

Obama turned down a petition to build a Death Star? Wow. I'm impressed. Also, why introduce your kids to Star Wars if you have no idea what it's all about in the first place?