Utah Utes men's basketball: USC too much for the Runnin' Utes

Comments

• UtahUte91 Sandy, UT
    Jan. 12, 2013 7:27 p.m.

So much for being vastly improved.

Getting blown out by what was the worst team in the conference on your home floor moves Utah solidly into last place in the conference with little hope of climbing out of the basement.

The Utes took a huge step back tonight and hopes of improving on last season's 3 conference wins and possibly having a winning overall season are pretty much dead.

When does spring ball start?

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2013 7:35 p.m.

You've got to be kidding me! Getting blown out at home by the Trojans?

USC was on a 14-game road losing streak and lost a home game to the 4-11 Cal State Irvine Anteaters just a couple of weeks ago, a team that lost to Pepperdine and Weber State. Good thing we played all of those patsies in the preseason or this team might have finished with a worse record than last season.

8-8, 0-4 in the PAC 12 and falling fast.

ugh

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Jan. 12, 2013 7:49 p.m.

Way to represent our state(and our faith Mormon Utes) for those classy chants throughout the game when calls didn't go how you wanted.

Typical hypocrisy from the hill. Loved the game!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 12, 2013 7:56 p.m.

These were the comments after the Utes close loss to AZ. I wonder if we'll see similar comments after losing to fellow cellar dweller USC.

@indycrimson - Awesome!!!

@Two For Flinching - This road trip should be a huge confidence booster for the Utes though. If you can take the #3 team in the country to the wire on their home court, there isn't anybody you can't play with.

@motorbike - I'm excited for the games this week. If the team, and particularly Washburn, continue to play like they did last week we'll see one win and likely two this week.

@SoonerUte - Is it because BYU fans are frustrated at their own team's downward trend while the Utes are on the rise?

@Uteology - Coach K has the program headed in the right direction.

And the crowning comment that the season is already over, after earlier proclaiming that the Utes would finish in the top half of the PAC.

@Chris B - I just dont care about Ute bball.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Jan. 12, 2013 8:08 p.m.

CougarFan in the Great State of TX

That made me laugh... especially that last one. LOL

I can't add anything to that. Nailed it.

• MESOUTE Albany, NY
    Jan. 12, 2013 8:14 p.m.

This program just took three huge steps in the wrong direction after playing some inspired ball to begin conference play. We still do not have Pac 12 athletes OR shooters. Still a long way to build a winner. Frustrating. So frustrating.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Jan. 12, 2013 8:25 p.m.

Did Chris B predict another Utah win and BYU loss? Thanks Chris! Keep 'em coming.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Jan. 12, 2013 8:31 p.m.

Never should have left the MWC.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 12, 2013 8:35 p.m.

Just a bad, bad game. USC had some hot shooting, and Utah didn't respond until too late. What killed the late comeback attempt was when the Trojans went to hacking, Utah missed 8 free throws. All teams are subject to bad games, but why do ours seem to happen against some of the worst teams? Seems like a focus and energy problem. The officiating was what it was, and it was out of the team's control, but there was plenty in their control that they didn't take advantage of. Shore it up and get ready to take on a better Washington State team we beat last year.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Jan. 12, 2013 8:41 p.m.

Does this mean that the nation's longest consecutive moral victory streak is over?

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 12, 2013 9:12 p.m.

Is this an immoral victory in uville??

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2013 9:14 p.m.

Today's effort was a big step backwards. The Utes shot the ball horribly and they didn't match the physical play of USC.

I hope they can regroup and pull it together for another road trip. They need to get a win soon, I thought today was going to be their best chance of breaking through.

The crowds are starting to come back to the games so the team needs to get a few victories to keep them coming.

Very classy cougintx keep up the good work, it will all come back to you soon enough.

Go Utes!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 12, 2013 9:20 p.m.

@stg

• goodDr. sandy, UT
    Jan. 12, 2013 9:49 p.m.

Diagnosis,
    DNR this team. Maybe Do Not Resuscitate. Maybe Does Not Recruit. Maybe Dang, Now that's Refreshing, Maybe Doesn't Naval vet Read. I'm not too sure, but I do know a serious case of mediocrity when I see it. And this isn't even mediocrity.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2013 10:03 p.m.

The Utes have firmly established themselves as the worst team in the PAC-12 with fans that match. Team - embarrassment to the university. Fans - embarrassment to the state.

• Fashion Police Olympus Cove, Utah
    Jan. 12, 2013 10:17 p.m.

Qwest Perfected

"Very classy cougintx..."

The MUSS taught us all about class at the Huntsman today.

I'd could prove my point by quoting their cheers, but this is a family-friendly blog.

"...keep up the good work..."

• Down under Pullman, WA
    Jan. 12, 2013 10:41 p.m.

About what we all expected once that past the 12 game Jr. High school schedule. I predict one more win this season before they head off to the big dance. This is going to hurt the recruiting for a few years. I don't see the program competing in the PAC 10.2 for many years. I hope that the few remaining fans will not give up on them. They are paying way to much to see this.

• Down under Pullman, WA
    Jan. 12, 2013 10:49 p.m.

You should read the Utah fans comment on the CNN thread. It was pretty comical. Me thinks that there is trouble right here in Uville and the wheels are coming off.

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    Jan. 12, 2013 10:51 p.m.

Shout out to the 14-1 Aggies, whom the Utes are too chicken to play anymore.

Utah State Utah

• redfeather Palo Alto, CA
    Jan. 12, 2013 11:03 p.m.

Now what?

Is it too soon to start talking about the Utes rebuilding, again, next season?

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2013 11:05 p.m.

One step forward, and two steps back. To see another game like this after so much promise in the previous three is extremely frustrating.

Utah needs to pick up a win in Washington next week in the worst way. It's going to take something close to a miracle to save this season though.

To all the Coug fans talking about class, I'm just glad the MUSS had enough control to not litter our court with garbage when things weren't going our way.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 12, 2013 11:28 p.m.

This was a major step back for the program, absolutely humiliating.

@CougFaninTX
    Yes Coach K does have this the program headed in the right direction. The way played at Arizona, ASU, BYU, and UCLA was as encouraging as this game was embarrassing. What this games shows is the program has a long way to go before it becomes competitive.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 8:33 a.m.

Four steps forward - one step back is progress. Consider the four losses; BYU away, Arizona State away, Arizona away, and UCLA home. Losses by a total of less that 10 points (and compare those results to last year!) Yes we lost to USC big time - but make no mistake the Utes are much imporoved over last year. My family and I enjoyed the game experience. Kids got to high five the players, got on the big screen and received free back packs (let me tell you how charming Stephenie McCallister is. Her ending move on the floor routine is one of my favorite athletic memories.) Go Utes!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 9:28 a.m.

@Duckhunter

"I've got to give you credit for posting despite how much I know this one stings. Definately sets you apart from the utah "fans" like motortrike, naval vet, and the others that will never come anywhere near this thread."

Hi Ducky, how ya doing buddy? Sorry I have a life before sports, this is the first chance to get online since attending the game with my wife and son. Classy comment by the way.

@everyothercougposter

The comments on how terrible the fans were are amusing. There were some unkind chants directed at the refs, but they weren't any different than chants heard at the beloved Marriott Center. I love how cougar fans so badly want to make the U out to be evil when in fact it's not U fans who litter the court with trash when things don't go their way.

Bottom line, Utah was terrible and would've lost regardless of how it was refereed. That said, it was the worst reffed game I've seen in quite a while and they deserved to hear about it from the paying fans. As I said though, Utah was still outplayed.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 9:59 a.m.

@motortrike

"Hi Ducky, how ya doing buddy?"

Great! But of course the team I support is probably headed for the NCAA tournament so there's no need for you to worry about me. But how are you doing? This obviously is not the result you told us to expect. I was just wondering if you could point out to us how this game showed "improvement"?

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    Jan. 13, 2013 11:34 a.m.

Who am I sir?

It's nice that you and your family had a fun time at the game.

Utah's close losses to some good teams did show some improvement, but how much, considering Utah's home losses to Sac St, CS Northridge, and now this blowout loss to a very mediocre USC team?

At this point in the season, Utah and the PAC 12 appear to be improved from last season, but it also appears that Utah could easily finish with the same 3-15 conference record as the Utes had last season - net improvement in conference, none.

For Utah fans, the most discouraging factor in this rebuilding process is this is a Senior-dominated team - 3 of Utah's five starters are Seniors.

So, the Utes will once again be back in rebuilding mode next season, just as they've been since 2005.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 13, 2013 12:03 p.m.

@Duckhunter

------------

It didn't but games at top 10 Arizona, #1 WCC BYU, ASU, and UCLA did. Those games were 4 steps forward, this game was a major leap backwards.

Just as soon as you could point out how getting pounded by ND, Baylor, Iowa State, FSU shows that you'll be anything more than a one-and-done IF you do get in? Or maybe you're just happy getting an invitation.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 12:14 p.m.

@uteology

"Just getting an invitation" is infinately better than not getting one at all.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 12:56 p.m.

@Duckhunter

I'll respond to a few of your comments:

"This obviously is not the result you told us to expect."
    I didn't ever make any predictions, I simply said Utah could pick 1 or 2 wins up if they played like they did against Arizona and ASU ... unfortunately they didn't.

"I was just wondering if you could point out to us how this game showed "improvement"?"
    First of all, did I say it did? No the reality is that this game was a step backward. Did you need to see that in writing to make you feel better? See I get on here and admit things like that all the time, it's you who we never see that from.

"Just getting an invitation is infinately better than not getting one at all."
    This is all a matter of opinion and Ute fans know where BYU fans stand on this - in both football and basketball. Let's just say this ... been there done that. Ute fans are ready for a bigger challenge in both sports. This may mean less bowl games and less tourney appearances but that's quite alright.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 5:44 p.m.

Motortrike

"Ute fans are ready for a bigger challenge in both sports.

I'm sure Ute fans all over the fruited plain are just busting with pride for Ute football and basketball and are as patient as Job waiting for something great to happen in Ute sports.

Let us know when Ute sports make it to 50% winning.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Jan. 13, 2013 5:44 p.m.

motorbike

"Ute fans are ready for a bigger challenge in both sports. This may mean less bowl games and less tourney appearances but that's quite alright."

More ineptitude doesn't prove anything. Utah fans may be ready for bigger challenges, but Utah's teams obviously aren't.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 7:42 p.m.

Phoenix

"Utah fans may be ready for bigger challenges, but Utah's teams obviously aren't."

You're exactly right, and who's arguing with you? See Utah fans know full well it's gonna take some time to compete for such elite conference championships. We walk into the PAC-12 with EVERYTHING stacked against us. And quite frankly, even if and when we can have years among the elite of the PAC-12 there will still inevitably be that upset and we STILL won't break through. But now just imagine if and when Utah does have that break through season in football or basketball and wins a conference championship ... that my friend will be a sweet day and worth waiting for. Something BYU fans may never get to experience unless they can get that glorious invitation one day. I wish you luck my friend. In the meantime, we Ute fans are happy for you guys and all those cute little wins that get you the courtesy invitations to bowl games and tourneys. Like I said before, been there done that.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 10:10 p.m.

@cougfans

It might be a little early claiming your invite to the NCAA tournament. I have a feeling this year the WCC is going to get one invite and how it sits right now, that means Gonzaga will be dancing. Your mighty basketball team has a good amount of wins but just like your football team, most of those wins are against poor competition. Even the Utes who you all bag on, took your team to the final minute at home. There hasn't been one signature win for you all season. It seems like byu has been behind in a lot of their games this year against weak opponents and that doesn't say much about your program.

As for the Utes, every fan knows and has stated that this game was a step backwards. I think you could all learn something from that though we all know that byu "fans" have selective memory.

Go Utes!

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Jan. 13, 2013 10:31 p.m.

QP

Actually, one of the leading NCAA bracket prognosticators stated that he was going to be watching the BYU-Santa Clara game specifically.

There's little doubt that he came away duly impressed with BYU's performance.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2013 10:46 p.m.

@phoenix

Still can't call beating a mediocre Santa Clara team a signature win. I know they are one of the better teams in the WCC, but they aren't the same team as last year.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Jan. 14, 2013 8:09 a.m.

QP

"Still can't call beating a mediocre Santa Clara team a signature win."

One thing's for sure, unlike Utah fans in football, BYU fans can't count their win over the Utes in basketball as a signature win.

Latest RPI and BPI Rankings