Utah Utes men's basketball: Runnin' Utes drop overtime thriller to ASU

Comments

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 3, 2013 7:30 a.m.

That was a good game. The Utes had oh so many chances on the final possession. It's great to see Utah competing this way. An NCAA bid is highly unlikely, but I can see Utah going .500 in the conference, and playing in a lesser post season tournament. No doubt about one thing, the program is trending upwards!

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 3, 2013 7:49 a.m.

Coach Krys has the Utes headed in the right direction. He'll get them rebuilt.

• Unca Bon OREM, UT
    Jan. 3, 2013 8:08 a.m.

From a BYU fan, the Utes are impressing me this year and I'm happy for them. Keep up the good work Coach Krys.

• shorts Payson, UT
    Jan. 3, 2013 8:35 a.m.

That is to bad they lost. I think they have a good coach.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Jan. 3, 2013 8:42 a.m.

In my opinion Coach Kryskoviak is working miracles - not only as a coach but as a recruiter as well. This is a night-and-day comparison from last year.

• Down under Pullman, WA
    Jan. 3, 2013 9:19 a.m.

In the words of so many Utah fans aimed at BYU; coulda, shoulda.

This is no surprise given that the Utes are picked to finish last, again in the PAC 10.2.

• jazz4ever San Mateo, CA
    Jan. 3, 2013 9:32 a.m.

Ya, very encouraging...though equally disappointing that they were not able to pull it off. Couple of points I noticed. The 3 to tie the game would never have happened if Utes had hustled to get the rebound. It was quite loose and anybody's ball for a short time.
    Also, I felt the utes get very stagnant when they try to run down the clock (esp when leading) as they dont really have a player who can get his own shot in the end. It would so much better for them to get into some offensive set 15-20secs and take whatever is available from that time onwards instead of waiting for the last possible second. This is the same reason they lost @ BYU also. Hope Coach LK will work on this.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Jan. 3, 2013 9:34 a.m.

That's incredible. Looks like a few more ticket sales at the HC are coming soon.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 3, 2013 10:44 a.m.

Great, physical, hard fought game. I'm not completely satisfied with another moral victory though. it's time to win some of these close games on the road.
    One great positive that Ute fans can take from the last season and a half is that Coach Krys and staff are coaching some tremendous defense and toughness. When they start to add more and more talent (scoring ability) to the system, things are gonna get silly!
    Seriously though, we've seen a similar foundation laid at Utah in years past by one of the best collegiate coaches ever. It's this kind of system that will eventually win a lot of ball games, but more importantly, NCAA Tourney games.
    Lets just hope we have this same coaching staff for several years to come. If we do, the wins will happen. Go Utes!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 3, 2013 10:57 a.m.

Come on, when the Utes beat the Cougs on the last play of the game two of the last three years, it didn't mean the teams were close. According to some Ute fans a loss is a loss and U've dominated the Cougs the last three years.

If that rationale is true, there is no woulda, coulda, shoulda. U lost to Arizona St, plain and simple.

Seriously, Utah has made great progress on defense, but still has a lot of work to do on the offensive side of the ball. 54 points in an OT game is not a lot of points.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 3, 2013 11:14 a.m.

CougfaninTexas

We are talking about basketball, not football. What's the deal with BYU fans coming on these threads to pick an agruement, and take shots at the Utes? Also, did either of those games go into overtime? Of course not. Next thing you know BYU fans will be talking about water polo scores. Good grief!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 3, 2013 11:22 a.m.

utah is doing what it has to do to stay in games but it sure isn't any fun to watch. Clank, after clang, after thump, after airball, with a bit of thuggery mixed in is not exciting basketball.

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    Jan. 3, 2013 11:47 a.m.

Utes are definately going in the right direction. I was skeptical about Coach Krys's hiring but I can see that they are rising. Good job Utes! Keep your heads up.

FYI-I bleed blue, Cougar Blue.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Jan. 3, 2013 11:59 a.m.

Wow. Well done U. I didn't expect you to be that close. Low scoring game, but at least the program is turning the corner a bit. Well done.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 3, 2013 12:09 p.m.

Duckhunter

"The headline is misleading, nothing about that game was "thrilling". It was ugly and boring with an ugly and boring style of play. I understand why utah plays that way, they have to in order to cover up their lack of talent..." "Fortunately I had the Sugar bowl and the Jazz game to watch and only tuned in to this snooze fest on time outs from those 2 games."
    _________

Two things:

1 - If you only tuned in on time outs from two other games then you're obviously not the guy anyone would go to for any postgame analysis. Your comment easily exposes your true intent for checking in. FAIL.

2 - Here's what you continually miss ... Utah isn't adopting a "style of play" as a temporary fix to cover up a lack of talent. Now is there a lack of talent? Sure. That's obviously something that will take more time. But the "style of play" is the same style Majerus implemented and succeeded with for years and years. When I say succeeded, I'm talking regular season AND post season. But I guess the postseason wins aren't exciting enough for you.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 3, 2013 12:18 p.m.

Duckhunter,

One more thing for you ... can you help me with who the author of this statement might be?

"It starts with a trouncing tonight"

Pretty sure that was written yesterday when you were trying to convince us that Utah couldn't compete in the upper half of the WCC.

Pretty sure your comment implied that ASU would trounce the Utes.

What I'm positive of? You don't have a clue what you're talking about when it comes to Utah basketball.

Once again ... FAIL.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 3, 2013 12:39 p.m.

@motorbike

They lost, I'm not sure you understand what the objective to competitive sports is but let me tell you. It is to WIN.

Sure they played close, big deal, they LOST. And yes I saw enough of the game to know it was boring. If your idea of "thrilling" basketball is to watch 2 teams shoot about 30% and score less points in an OT game than most teams score in regulation then I suppose what you are getting is perfect for you, other than the losing part of it I suppose.

But just remember this, they LOST, again. They did not win, they LOST. They shot 30% and LOST. It was boring and it was ugly.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 3, 2013 1:04 p.m.

I'd rather watch bad basketball than listen to someone criticize and judge young men he doesn't know as "thugs." That is not only ugly but very shameful to come from one I assume is a member of my faith.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 3, 2013 1:38 p.m.

Duckhunter,

My comment had nothing to do with winning or losing the game. It had everything to do with calling you out on your previous comments and predictions.

But go on doing what you do ... divert attention elsewhere and continue pretending your comments have merit.

By the way, there are several classy comments from BYU fans on this thread so far - you could learn a few things from them if you could lower your hatred for a few minutes.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 3, 2013 1:49 p.m.

@stg

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 3, 2013 2:12 p.m.

"Weak trying to play the religion card. Only utah "fans" attmept this lame tactic. Fail."

So if you're commenting on the internet, your religious values don't matter? Integrity fail.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Jan. 3, 2013 2:21 p.m.

Duckhunter

"The headline is misleading, nothing about that game was "thrilling". It was ugly and boring with an ugly and boring style of play. I understand why utah plays that way, they have to in order to cover up their lack of talent and to be in games but from a viewership standpoint it was awful to watch. Fortunately I had the Sugar bowl and the Jazz game to watch and only tuned in to this snooze fest on time outs from those 2 games."

Couldn't agree more, even though I spent most of my time watching the Sugar Bowl, it was remarkable how many times I checked in on the Utah-ASU game to discover that the score was virtually unchanged, even though several more minutes had ticked off the clock.

One thing is certain, Utah should completely abandon any thoughts of the Runnin' Utes ever returning. The style of ball played on the hill nowadays makes a mockery of that moniker.

"Runnin' Utes drop overtime thriller to ASU" - infomercials are more accurate than that

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Jan. 3, 2013 2:32 p.m.

DUCKHUNTER SCHEDULE

Jan 1 Make resolution to become more obsessed with the Utes
    Jan 2 Watch the Utah vs. ASU game
    Jan 3 Log-on to DNews and comment on the Utah game
    Jan 4 Make airline reservations for Tulsa

• TroyTown Anaheim, CA
    Jan. 3, 2013 2:50 p.m.

Utah Schedule

September: Play bowl game.
    November: Play conference-imposed "rivalry" game.
    December: Home for the holidays.
    January: Declare basketball season over.
    March: Start making plans for September bowl game.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 3, 2013 3:18 p.m.

TroyBoy

At least be origional; how sad!

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Jan. 3, 2013 4:00 p.m.

I'm thankful the Utes are turning it around...be it good D, better shot selection this lower points, whatever...they are improving.

I'm also thankful none of my kids played sports in Highland...it would seem that the coaches there might be tilted a bit...

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 3, 2013 5:24 p.m.

@stg

You're failing, badly. If all you can do is try to call someone out over their religion, on a SPORTS article, then you really have nothing to say.

But hey why don't you prove that you truly are the guy you claim to be and head on over to the article about the MWC wanting BYU back and call out naval lint for his posts on it. I know you won't though, you are a utah "fan" and hypocrisy is the name of the game on the hill.

• Whatsnu Sandy, UT
    Jan. 3, 2013 5:34 p.m.

Truth in advertising:

The "Runnin' Utes drop overtime thriller to ASU" headline

should really read

The "Slow it down to an excruciatingly boring crawl Utes clank their way to an overtime loss at ASU"

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 3, 2013 10:12 p.m.

@ducky

Your obsession with the University of Utah is getting so old. Not only do you comment on every single article about the Utes, but you comment a handful of times on each article.

I believe there are a half dozen articles about Van Noy that you could focus your attention on but yet time and time again you chose the Utes. Hey I even hear that there is a conference that might actually want your mighty cougs.

I guess when there isn't much going on with your own team to look forward to, "fans" like you instead focus on schools that they are obviously jealous of.

As for this Utah basketball team, they are getting better with still la limited level of talent. It is only going to get better from here. Recruiting for both football and basketball is steadily getting better and better which will help us compete in our strong conference. In football, it's obviously at a high enough level to beat inferior programs such as byu on a regular basis. To think the big conference money is just barely coming in at this point is priceless. The future is bright.

Go Utes!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 9:43 a.m.

@qwesty

I enjoy angst filled posts like yours. That is what makes this so rewarding.

I notice none of you hypocrites are over on the article about the MWC wanting BYU to call out naval vet. That is why your whining falls on deaf ears.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 4, 2013 10:26 a.m.

"I notice none of you hypocrites are over on the article"

It seems the DN is taking its time deciding whether or not to upload my last response. But no that doesn't make me a hypocrite, it just means I'm not a sad little troll that tries to blast another team's fans on every single one of their articles. And if you didn't have selective memory, you'd know that I have no reservations against calling out Utah fans for senseless things they say, including Naval Vet and Utah-Hawaii Alum.

I have no problem with the majority of your comments, even when you flat out lie in them, but when someone attacks young men's character (to use your own words, "on a SPORTS article") for no reason other than the school they attend, I have a problem with that. So please, continue to bully and belittle my integrity, it's doing wonders for your own reputation.