Reports: Gary Andersen to be hired at University of Wisconsin

Comments

• ldsoccertodd Cedar City, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 8:56 p.m.

Reports now are that it's a done deal. Any hope Bronco will take the Utah State job?

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Dec. 18, 2012 8:59 p.m.

Famous last words:

"I only regret that I have but one life to give to my country."

"I want you to know that when I cross the river, my last conscious thoughts will be of the corps, and the corps, and the corps."

“I plan to remain the head football coach at Utah State University.”

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 9:04 p.m.

He took the job. Seriously he was never going to stay. Quadrupled his salary

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 18, 2012 9:18 p.m.

What a shame that big Money came calling again. Just when this program was thriving they will soon be on life support again.

• BYU_Aggie LOGAN, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 9:33 p.m.

No one can blame Coach Anderson for "withdrawing" from Logan for "greener" pastures. When a school with as "rich" of tradition as Wisconsin comes calling, you can't decline that "transaction."

It's sad to see him go (if that does happen), especially after everything he's done for the program here, but I wish him well and success in the B1G Ten. Wisconsin would do well to pay the man what's he's worth to land him out there.

• jpjazz Sandy, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 9:35 p.m.

I wouldn't fault him for taking the job, however to publicly claim to be staying with the Aggies and then to reverse course just 3 weeks later?? If this is true he would be one more in a long line of lying coaches within college football.

• Whattheheck? Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 9:35 p.m.

Typical Gary Andersen...ladder climber no matter whose toes he steps on or how or when he leaves a program. He did it at SUU and now he's going to abaNdon the Ags. Too bad but that's Gary...he will ALWAYS look out for himself. He speaks of loyalty but they're hollow words. I predicted his time would be at USU would be limited. Good-bye and good riddance.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 9:36 p.m.

To I Bleed Blue: It's about the opportunity to take care of him and his family. I'm sure it would have to be a significant amount of money for him to leave. In this economy wouldn't you jump at the chance? Be realistic!

The only sad part is that it leaves a sour taste in the mouth of the players and fans. Everyone else in the administration of USU probably understands all too well and would do the same thing if the opportunity presented itself to them. So would any blogger on this post.

To ldssoccer: Bronco Mendenhall works under a different system. Brigham Young University coaches are more than a sports outlet. They represent the Church worldwide. Not too many people understand or want to understand that. Mendenhall is well liked and will keep his job next year. I don't think he will be there for more than 3-4 years, but it will be on his terms. Arm chair coaches on this blog can whine all they want. We love Bronco!

Go Cougars!

• Elk Hair Caddis Sandy, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 9:40 p.m.

Hopefully Utah State can do what Boise State has done and maintain a great program even as the carousel turns.

• Stang08 Cedar City, Utah
    Dec. 18, 2012 9:53 p.m.

I called it. No one who has the success he has can say he won't go to a bigger school given the opportunity. He's a great coach and it looks like he's finally at a great team. I bet the USU fan's are crying into their pillows right about now. Good move Anderson.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 18, 2012 9:52 p.m.

Flip-flop?

Anderson didn't know this kind of offer would come when he made the statement.

• Disgruntled Nephi, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 9:58 p.m.

Would like to say I'm shocked, but......

• BYR Woods Cross, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 10:01 p.m.

IIRC, the comment that he was staying was in reference to not taking the Colorado job. That does not mean Anderson would not accept another offer. Technical, I know, but still.
    I do not blame him. But I wish he would have stayed. It was fun watching USU the last couple of years.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 10:06 p.m.

The move allows Gary Anderson to beat the Cougars again next year.

• md Cache, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 10:11 p.m.

As a Badger fan living in Cache Valley, I am happy. On the other hand, UW will likely see him move on to greener pastures if he has success there. The prior coach for UW stated that he wouldn't leave and that he didn't want to be like the SEC. He then promptly took the Arkansas opening this year. I think coaches should just shut their traps and take the jobs that suit them, rather than break promises and leave resented, disgruntled fans.

Maybe Deron Williams was wise in keeping his future plans to himself. It got him traded from SLC, but he is now making 100mil with Brooklyn.

• LVIS Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 10:11 p.m.

worf
    Mcallen, TX
    "Flip-flop?
    Anderson didn't know this kind of offer would come when he made the statement."

Every coach worth his salt knows that an offer could come. He could worded his 'I'm-staying-here' statement a bit better. He sounds like just another typical coach--never believe a thing you hear and only half of what you see.

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 10:24 p.m.

If I were USU I would make an offer to the most popular coordinator ASAP. Rumor has it they are going with him. Make a play and keep one of them.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 10:25 p.m.

Sorry to see him go, but it IS Wisconsin. He definitely left the program better than he found it. Utah State has life again. We'll see if they can keep the fire burning up there. Hopefully so.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 10:31 p.m.

Aggie fans will never believe another coach. It truly is sad. But, I agree with other posters--I can't blame him, but he needed to back off the "I'm happy here" assertions if there was ANY possibility for him to go anywhere else. This will just leave a bitter taste in the mouths of so many who loved him for the success he had at USU, and the way in which he did it.

• Ironhide Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 10:33 p.m.

Good for him. I have a lot of respect for him as a person and a coach. He didn't just quadruple his salary, he increased it by 10x. Taking both his coordinators, he'll keep Wisconsin in the top ten for years to come.

• nehu Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 10:36 p.m.

Aggie fan here and not crying at all, I do agree coaches should just be quiet until they have coached game 1 of the following season. However I do not in the slightest resent him for leaving. The trick now becomes to maintain the momentum, with the investment in the new facilities it can be done. Difficult but not impossible. Crazy to consider that just like that Gary leap frogs Bronco and Whit. But considering what he turned around I suppose the offer is well deserved. In the end though no crying here. Now if Chuckie leaves . . .

• don17 Temecula, CA
    Dec. 18, 2012 10:45 p.m.

Does this mean Utah State will be 2 and 10 next year and the University of Utah will have one more win? Will Weber State schedule them for a win? Winning at Utah State is nothing like trying to win at Wisconsin. First of all the weather stinks, and Michigan, Northwestern, Nebraska, Penn State and Ohio State come calling often! Iowa, Purdue, Indiana and Michigan State will not be push overs! One guaranteed win for everyone will be the Illini! But, then again a few million dollars a year more and playing in Dane County Wisconsin with real fans has it's draw! But coach Anderson: Don't buy a house until you win 10 games!

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Dec. 18, 2012 10:55 p.m.

GA deserves a promotion to a big time program after building a Top 25 team from nothing and helping build another winner from the ashes left behind by Urban.

• Troy06 OREM, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 11:08 p.m.

Sportsnutz I told you the coach would leave. If he truly leaves, how will you beat BYU next year?

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    Dec. 18, 2012 11:16 p.m.

I wish him success in his future endeavors. I hope he finds all that he is looking for.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 11:17 p.m.

Here is the reality for Utah State. You can attract a great coach like Andersen but if he has success he will leave. John Ralston, the coach of the 1961 Aggie team that went 9-1-1 and was ranked No. 10 at the end of the season, left for Stanford. It is what it is. It might be best to search for a good local area talent who might stay for a while best case because of these deep ties, that's the best hope. Otherwise you will get a bad coach you will fire or a good one that is out the door when the bigger programs come calling.

BTW--Mike Favero is a great HS coach and might take a crack at it, who knows I hear Louis Wong might be available too and was a college coach.

• guitarboy South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 11:35 p.m.

This hurts, and I'm a BYU fan.

I never wanted Anderson to leave.

Utah State playing well, has unified this state -- it has reduced the stupid back-biting between Utah and BYU fans. Who among us doesn't love the Aggies? In fact, everybody loves the Aggies.

This hurts. Bad.

--BYU fan

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 12:03 a.m.

@ Sooner Ute

Correction: This allows Anderson to beat BYU next year, not "again next year" as they lost to BYU this year. USU winning "again next year" would be against Utah.

I said all along that being the USU Coach is "only good if you are mediocre: lose too many and the alumni wants your head; win too many and a real program will hire you away." His record was 27 - 24---pretty mediocre overall---but he came on strong this year and sealed the deal. And just think--he had superb training from Opportunity Urban- "I love Utah and want to raise my family here."

Hogwash!!

Too bad the Aggie fans couldn't fill their stadium for the best team in the school's history. Watch them now sink into oblivian again in their new conference. (Sounds like Utah's plight, doesn't it?)

Good luck Coach Anderson, at Wisconsin, but don't look for ever playing Utah in the Rose Bowl. While you will likely make it, they probably won't.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 12:34 a.m.

Hm . . . has this been confirmed yet though?

Who is reporting this? Because the media reported that Bronco had taken the Colorado job which turned out to be wrong . . . also correct me if I'm wrong but didn't ESPN report that the super conference thing was going down before Utah was extended and accepted the Pac-12 invite?

I don't know . . . anyway if someone can substantiate or confirm this claim then I will believe it. Until then, is it still hearsay? Has an official statement from USU been made?

• Pa. Reader Harrisburg, PA
    Dec. 19, 2012 5:39 a.m.

If a division 1 athlete on scholarship changes schools he or she must sit out one year, two years if the transfer is within the conference.
    Until similar penalties are imposed on coaches under contract, or the penalty on players transferring is lifted, this is just one more example of the hypocrisy of big time college football.
    So lets stop using terms like "student athlete" and phrases like "it's all about the kids."
    It is always about the money, period.

• flyfish41 Ashton, Idaho
    Dec. 19, 2012 6:14 a.m.

As an Aggie from the 60's it was great to see them back again and this is a bummer but good for him he deserves it, Nice Guy

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 6:38 a.m.

Suppose you get hired at a company making $60k per year. You are making good money, and doing very well. Then another company comes calling and offers you $200k. What would you do? I think we all know what we would do. Sadly that is the way it works. Good luck to Coach Andersen, he earned it. Probably making a couple million a year now. Good for him. Hopefully Utah State can keep up the good work from the foundation he laid.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 19, 2012 7:46 a.m.

tooWACish&midmajoreyfortheU:

"@ Sooner Ute...Correction: This allows Anderson to beat BYU next year, not 'again next year' as they lost to BYU this year. USU winning 'again next year' would be against Utah."

Nope. Sooner Ute got it right.

(1) Wisconsin will not play Utah next year, unless we meet in the Rose Bowl.

(2) For Anderson to beat the Indy-WACers "again", he would have had to have beaten them before. And he DID. I suppose in your frantic and emotional, blue-goggled haste to to trash talk the big brother who had OWNED you 3 in a row, and 8 of the last 11 times, you had mentally blocked out that 31-16 manhandling Anderson and the 4-8 Aggies dropped on you back in 2010.

Poor traumatized coug.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 19, 2012 7:51 a.m.

Too bad Utah St. had to lose such a great coach. Hopefully, the winning would be sustainable. The MWC is a much tougher conference than the WAC. So much for that Aggie tattoo Gary got a few years ago. Oh well. I'm pretty sure Paul "Bear" Bryant was buried wearing his Texas A&M ring.

The BigTen is a great conference to be a part of. Wisconsin is a great school -- both academically and athletically. And of course, Madison is a great town. I'm sure Andersen and his family will be happy there.

Go Aggies!

Go Badgers!

Go Andersen!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 7:55 a.m.

@soonerute

"The move allows Gary Anderson to beat the Cougars again next year."

Except that he didn't beet them this year, or last year.....

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 8:04 a.m.

As funny as it is that usu fans claims about the aggies becoming the best program in the state from here on out came to an immediate crashing halt, not that it was ever going to happen anyway, it is even funnier that the utah "fans" claiming anderson was just sitting at usu waiting to take over at utah in a few years also blew up in their face. I especially love naval vets pathetic attempt to mask his disappointment in this occuring since there is no chance at all anderson would leave wisconsin to step down to the utah job when it opens up in a couple of years. LOL!

• SVfan Logan, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 8:13 a.m.

I guess what hurts the most coach A is all the hoopla about staying??? Don't go sounding your trumpet when you have no intention of staying. I Feel badly for the players and the recruiting just got crushed! Sad day in Aggieville.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 8:19 a.m.

At least he had the decency to call his players individually, rather than sending out a mass text like Todd Graham when he left Pitt.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Dec. 19, 2012 8:22 a.m.

navel vet

"Wisconsin will not play Utah next year, unless we meet in the Rose Bowl."

In other words, the Utes won't be playing the Badgers next year, so the Utes can relax because they don't have to worry about losing to a Gary Anderson led team, again.

Of course, losing to a Kilani Sitake led Aggie team at home may be an even bigger disappointment.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 8:32 a.m.

Smart man. Sconsin is a great job. He just needs to keep getting those huge linemen and RBs to Madison and they'll keep winning.

• That's A Good One Meridian, ID
    Dec. 19, 2012 8:43 a.m.

With Anderson departed who will replace Kyle Whittingham when he likely gets run out of town after a 3rd consecutive season at the bottom of the PAC?

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Dec. 19, 2012 8:56 a.m.

SL Tribune headline says it all:

"Utah State football: Aggies say, ‘This isn’t finished’ - Utah State football, Potato Bowl champions, optimistic about prospects for coming seasons."

With the key members of the coaching staff going with him, it will be hard for the Aggies to stay optimistic. It looks finished to me.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 8:57 a.m.

Good luck to Gary at Wisconsin.

Except for a certain game in November next year, I hope you have a great first season.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 19, 2012 9:07 a.m.

re: soonerute

And allows him to play in the Rose Bowl & for a National Championship, which the utes will never do.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 9:11 a.m.

Andersen did this exact same thing to SUU several years ago. I realize that Money is king but he left SUU after a very short stint to be an assistant coach at another school. His Abrubt resignation caused SUU to scramble to find a new head coach. He should Fulfill his contract then move on. The way he left so suddenly never set well with me. I know how Aggie Nation feels right now.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 9:15 a.m.

Coaches have to publicly claim they are staying. To do otherwise would undermine recruiting, hurting the school and yourself (if you don't get a good offer). He has every right to change jobs. Do the athletes recruited have every right to change their minds and switch schools if the coach was a major reason for heading to Logan?

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 9:15 a.m.

Good for Coach Anderson!

This is the nature of the beast I'm afraid. Sorry Aggies.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 9:31 a.m.

@Madden

The recruits that haven't signed yet can certainly change their minds. I'm wondering what the weicher's kid is thinking right now because the BYU ship has sailed for him.

• GACougar Atlanta, GA
    Dec. 19, 2012 9:31 a.m.

I think that every time a coach changes jobs then that should automatically release every scholarship player that committed to them. More often than not the players commit because they want to play for a certain coach. But when he leaves they are stuck. Not fair to them.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 19, 2012 9:41 a.m.

Duckhunter:

"I especially love naval vets pathetic attempt to mask his disappointment in this occuring since there is no chance at all anderson would leave wisconsin to step down to the utah job when it opens up in a couple of years. LOL!"

Never had I hoped, nor posted anything about hoping, for Andersen to replace Whittingham. Never. So it looks like the "pathetic attempt" was YOU in your desperate strawman. "LOL"!

And for what it's worth, Andersen played Center at Utah. So there actually COULD be a chance he'd leave Wisconsin for Utah. Just because YOUR alumni won't return to their alma mater, doesn't mean that ours won't. BigTen head coaches wouldn't leave their jobs for a lateral position for a MWC (or WAC) job, but it wouldn't be a stretch should they do so for a Pac-12 school if it were their alma mater.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    Dec. 19, 2012 9:48 a.m.

Duckhunter
    Highland, UT

_____________

Yay! BYU beat one ranked team this year 6 -3. Not even ranked when they played them.
    What's pathetic is they could not capitalize off that. Instead you consider wins against Idaho and New Mex St. a title run. Now that's even more pathetic.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:00 a.m.

@naval vet

I know it hurts but you'll just have to deal with it. A big 10 guy might leave to take a pac 12 job, but that pac 12 job would not be the utah job which next to colorado is the worst job in the pac 12. Once again I know it hurts but you're just going to have to deal with it. LOL!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:01 a.m.

@waccy

Was that supposed to be the answer to the question that no one asked?

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:14 a.m.

Too bad that the USU job isn't like the BYU job.

Nobody is coming after Bronco.

• buckthorn Black Earth, WI
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:16 a.m.

A Badger fan here. Folks in Madison have a decent idea of what you might be going through. And the Wisconsin players can definitely relate to the feelings of the Aggie players. It's a tough time, that's for sure. I suppose you'll have to make up your minds as to whether your (former) coach meant to deceive you or not. Yes, it's a business, and yes, the coaches need to think about their opportunities. That doesn't make it hurt less when they "dump" you for another school. Anderson seems like more of an experienced, class act than our coach was. We were all really impressed with Anderson and the Aggies when they played (and outplayed) Wisconsin in September. So good luck to all of you. Build on the success that Anderson helped to create. You'll get through it, it just feels really crummy right now.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:40 a.m.

Duckhunter:

"I know it hurts but you'll just have to deal with it."

I know it hurts you that you can provide absolutely no substance to your frantic and emotional fantasy that a BigTen coach would never consider leaving to coach their Pac-12 alma mater. I know it ALSO hurts you that you got called out for your made-up frantic and emotional strawman argument. Again.

And from reading some of your recent comments, it ALSO hurts you to hear that I attended the 2011 Utah-Ga. Tech Sun Bowl last year, while you got stuck watching some irrelevant bowl game opposite Tulsa in a game that virtually nobody else watched.

That's a LOT of pain. Poor Indy-WACer.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:43 a.m.

54-IQ

"Nobody is coming after Bronco."

As long as you consider UCLA and Colorado "nobody".

------------

Madden

Coaches have to reassure skittish recruits that they aren't leaving, right up to the moment that they accept an offer to leave. It's the nature of the business of coaching. No coach in his right mind is going to tell a new recruit that he may not be staying.

Just like players, coaches have to make decisions based on what's in their own best interest. Turning down a $2.5 million/year offer to coach at Wisconsin in order to stay at Utah State making $700k would be foolhardy. Opportunities like this sometimes only come along once in a coaching career and Coach Anderson had to choose whether to stay at Utah State the rest of his career or move on.

Hopefully, the Aggies will quickly find a good coach to take Gary's place and the Utah State football program will continue to be competitive in their new conference.

• SVfan Logan, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:46 a.m.

"Opportunities are wonderful. It was very humbling the last three or four weeks to go through that process and be involved in jobs. You learn a lot, but you also learn a lot about yourself and where you want to be," Andersen told the Idaho Statesman last week. "And you sit back and take a deep breath and know who you want to be able to be around. I love the kids I get to coach here. ... The kids I have in the program, it just was not time. I look them in the eye and I need to be where I'm at." This is what hurts the most Coach A! We wonder really how sincere you were about these comments??

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:53 a.m.

Naval Vet

Why would anybody travel all the way from Philly to El Paso to watch a meaningless football game in the armpit of the country on New Years eve?

Not much has changed for the WACed PAC bottom feeders; once again, U aren't going to a bowl because U aren't good enough to beat WAC teams.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:59 a.m.

@navl vet

Hook, line and sinker. Like always. How "frantic and emotional" of you. LOL!

• Me, Myself and I The Promised Land, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 11:12 a.m.

What a bunch of hypocrites. Honestly there isn't a person alive who wouldn't do what Coach Andersen did. How can you fault somebody for moving up the ladder in their chosen career or way of life. Anyone who says they wouldn't take a big promotion, or land a job doing what they love that improved their financial and or personal well being, be it ranching, coaching, business, whatever, isn't being honest with anyone specially themselves. Good luck Coach Andersen go whoop up on Coach Meyer and the Buckeyes!!!

p.s. None of us know what went into making this decision. I'm sure there were some serious personal conflict and issues Coach Andersen had to deal with. Like the fact that his oldest son plays for USU. He does have a redshirt year so maybe he'll transfer and follow his dad who knows.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 11:13 a.m.

@ Naval Vet

Yeah, Norm Chow finally got to come back to his alma matter, too---Utah---as the OC. How'd that work out, especially against Colorado in SLC where Utah was playing to be the southern div rep in the inagural PAC 12 Championship game? How'd the Utes play at home that day?

And how many more games did Chow coach the mighty Utah offense before going to Hawaii as their head coach?

Looking at Anderson, Chow and Meyer, coaching at Utah isn't everything you think it is. Face reality for a change, even if it is painful. And enjoy watching (not playing) any bowl game of your choice this year.

• rdrunner Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 19, 2012 11:41 a.m.

You expect total commitment from your players, yet you can get no commitment out of a head coach...nice. I knew it would likely happen sooner or later, just didn't think it would happen after his comments about staying at USU. At some point it all boils down to the money don't it.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Dec. 19, 2012 11:53 a.m.

I'm shocked anyone bothers with the standard "I'm the coach of University X; I'm not going anywhere" public statements. Any fan with even a fleeting knowledge of modern sports dismisses these worthless "promises" as the fluff they are.

If anything, it's a bad sign when you hear a coach make a point to say things like this. It's akin to the dreaded "vote of confidence" owners routinely give coaches/managers a few months/weeks before firing them. He may not have had the Wisconsin offer when he said he'd remain in Logan, but of course he knew he'd become Ron Burgundy (kind of a big deal) and was going to get offers with many zeroes attached.

You can't blame the guy; who wouldn't accept wheelbarrows of money to move from cold, snowy Logan to warm, sunny . . oh, wait. Well, the money's still nice. Good luck, Gary. Your phony assurances don't even bother me, because I actually pay attention to sports and knew as soon as you said "I'm staying!" that was just your way of saying "goodbye."

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Dec. 19, 2012 12:16 p.m.

Utah schools will always stuggle to keep talent since it is such a small market, and therefor the dollars just aren't there. Wish it weren't so... but it is what it is.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Dec. 19, 2012 12:36 p.m.

I'm not surprised that Aggie fans are having such a difficult time with this - this is the first time you've been used and lied to by a coach. As a Utah fan, I remember Urban Meyer saying the same things in 2004. Such is the life of a successful mid-major.

But Aggies, you can take comfort in the fact that you are a successful mid-major, just like Utah was a decade ago. The only fanbase around here that hasn't had to deal with something like this is BYU...and that's because nobody wants their coach.

• Me, Myself and I The Promised Land, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 12:56 p.m.

99% of you would do the same in Coach Andersen's shoes. The remaining 1% wouldn't only because they'd worry too much about what people might say about them.

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 1:02 p.m.

timid sparrow

"The only fanbase around here that hasn't had to deal with something like this is BYU...and that's because nobody wants their coach."

Sorry, but your crimson-colored glasses have distorted you view of reality.

Bronco turned down the UCLA job last season and didn't even seek the Colorado job this year (even though he was considered one of the top candidates). Bronco has also been mentioned as a candidate for several other head coaching positions in years past.

Just because Bronco hasn't accepted an offer from another school, doesn't mean he hasn't been wanted.

---------

LaVell was pursued for many other jobs during his tenure at BYU.

And even Gary Crowton, who left BYU in disgrace, was pursued by Oregon and LSU as an OC, which is all he ever really was suited to be and why he failed so miserably at BYU.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 19, 2012 1:33 p.m.

WAC man:

"Why would anybody travel all the way from Philly to El Paso to watch a meaningless football game..."

What "meanlingless game"? I didn't fly all the way to down to El Paso to watch a Utah-UTEP game. In fact, we hadn't even played that game since 1996. I was talking about the 2011 Sun Bowl vs. Ga. Tech. Which was a meaningful game.

Anytime one plays in a #2 million New Year's Eve game on CBS, it's a meaningful game. A "meaningLESS" game would be whenever one plays a UTEP in the postseason, or some other game that nobody watched, like the 2011 Armed Forces Bowl. Try to not get them confused.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 19, 2012 1:35 p.m.

Duckhunter:

Hook, line, and sinker? What are talking about? You just got reproved and embarrassed. You didn't reel ME in. I reeled in YOU! Don't be so frantic and emotional.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Dec. 19, 2012 1:54 p.m.

You are way off Truth Machine. At least do your research first.
    How do you turn down something that was never offered in the first place? UCLA never offered the job to Bronco.

And we now know for a fact HE DID INTERVIEW WITH COLORADO on Nov 29th!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 19, 2012 1:56 p.m.

tooWACishandmidmajoreyfortheU:

"...Norm Chow finally got to come back to his alma matter, too---Utah---as the OC. How'd that work out,..."

In characteristic cougar kneejerk reaction, you failed to read before responding. How frantic and emotional of you. I was very specific about BigTen coaches leaving to coach at a Pac-12 school. Here it is again (emphasis in all caps):

"BigTen HEAD COACHES wouldn't leave their jobs for a LATERAL position for a MWC (or WAC) job, but it wouldn't be a stretch should they do so for a Pac-12 school if it were their alma mater."

Chow's situation does not apply here because he did not leave the BigTen as a Head Coach to become the Head Coach in the Pac-12. And for what it's worth, Chows transition (from Pac-10 OC to Pac-12 OC) worked out just fine for Utah. He got us to an 8-5 record and into a relevant bowl game with a D-II QB.

Oh yeah...and his offense POUNDED yours 54-10. You guys are still smarting over that one. Haha!

Chow also did not leave the U for a lateral position at Hawai'i.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 19, 2012 2:06 p.m.

tooWACishandmidmajoreyfortheU:

"Looking at Anderson, Chow and Meyer, coaching at Utah isn't everything you think it is."

Oh no? Look again!

Meyer coached at Utah, then accepted another Head Coaching job in the SEC for 4-times his Utah salary.

Andersen coached at Utah, then got PROMOTED to a head coaching position at Utah State.

Chow coached at Utah, then got PROMOTED to a head coaching position at Hawai'i.

And, for what it's worth, Sanford parlayed HIS coordinator's position at Utah into a Head Coaching position at UNLV. Whittingham ALSO got promoted to a Head Coaching position after a coordinator's position at the U. That's a grand total of 4 Utah coordinators getting promoted to a Head Coaching job in the past 8-yrs.

How many cougar coordinators had left their schools to accept a Head Coaching job at an FBS program since Crowton left? Because I can't think of any.

Seems to me that coaching at Utah would be a lot bigger of a deal than coaching down there in Provo.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 19, 2012 2:13 p.m.

Truth Machine:

"Sorry, but your crimson-colored glasses have distorted you view of reality...Bronco turned down the UCLA job last season and didn't even seek the Colorado job this year (even though he was considered one of the top candidates)."

Uh-uh! It's YOUR blue-goggled lenses that had been distorting reality. Bronco did NOT turn down the UCLA job last season. He was never OFFERED it. He was also never a leading candidate at Colorado. He just had his name surfaced by a writer from the Denver Post, and not the CU Athletic Dept. And that same writer specified that Butch Jones was the top candidate; not Bronco. CU wasn't interested enough to interview him.

Cold, hard, miserable facts. Nobody outside of Provo wants Bronco.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 2:38 p.m.

@naval

Another "frantic and emotional" reply claiming "victory". LOL!

Once again hook, line, and sinker. LOL!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 2:41 p.m.

I've got to admit, naval's "frantic and emotional" meltdown, and post after post after post, declaring himself victorious, is the crowning achievement of this thread. Definately one of the best ones we've had around here in a loooooong time. LOL!

Nice job Cougar fans!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 2:44 p.m.

@naval

So who are you trying to convince that you actually went to America's armpit to watch a meaningless game? Yourself? LOL!

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 2:48 p.m.

Naval Vet

Utah's Sun Bowl game was soooooo "meaningful" that Utah actually DROPPED from #38 to #39 in Sagarin after beating #56 Georgia Tech.

Meanwhile, BYU's supposedly "meaningless" Armed Forces Bowl win propelled BYU from #40 to #34, while only dropping Tulsa a few spots to #35.

-----------

Chow did such an amazing job as Utah's OC, that Utah fans were thrilled to see him leave. Hawaii took him as an act of desperation.

Anderson was the reason for Utah's success in 2008, and it's not coincidental that since he moved to Utah State, Utah has been in steady decline, while Utah State was rising to their greatest season ever.

-----------

upinthenight

So who should we believe?

A BYU-hater with no inside knowledge, or the coach who turned down the offer?

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Dec. 19, 2012 2:58 p.m.

Naval Vet

Utah was nothing more than a stepping stone for Urban.

Hawaii took Chow because he's a native son and they were desperate.
    (Utah fans were happy to see him go and Utah added absolutely NOTHING to Chow's credentials.)

It was BECAUSE of Anderson that Utah achieved the success they did in 2008; he would have been even more successful at a higher profile school. Now he'll get his chance.

• Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovo St. George, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 7:11 p.m.

Great move for Coach Anderson. USU fans, want another coach with Andersons work ethic and style...hire Ed Lamb from Southern Utah. Lamb is one of the highest character, hardest working coaches I have been around. Very much like Anderson.

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 8:49 p.m.

for those of you saying that loyalty in football coaching is gone these days i've got two local names for you just to name a few: Kyle Whittingham, and Lance Reynolds. Kyle has been offered SEC head coaching jobs, and elected to stay at Utah. Reynolds has also been offered head coaching, and coordinator jobs in the NFL as well as in the NCAA, but has elected to stay out of loyalty to BYU. I know both of these men very well, and to say they have integrity is an understatement.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 7:56 a.m.

Saying you will stay is usually the preamble to leaving.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:14 p.m.

Truth Machine:

"Bronco was interviewed for the UCLA job after last season, which proves that the Bruins were interested in Bronco. Bronco revealed Wednesday, December 5th, during a 45-minute question-and-answer session with reporters that after the 2011 season he received an offer to be the head coach at an FBS program (which he didn't identify), but decided to turn down the offer and stay at BYU....So who should we believe?"

"Who" should we believe? Or "What" should we believe? Just because Bronco allegedly interviewed for a head coaching position after the 2011 season, doesn't mean it was UCLA. You have no proof he interviewed in Pasadena. You just filled in the blanks with your own frantic and emotional fantasy. How do you know his interview was with UCLA, as opposed to..say...Fresno State?