Faith

'Mormon girls' poke fun at Utah names in YouTube video

Comments

• NightTrader Calgary AB, 00
    Dec. 10, 2012 7:41 a.m.

Just as intriguing are the rather unique to Utah hairstyles, also fairly well represented in the same video.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    Dec. 10, 2012 8:57 a.m.

A truly Utah classic. Should be shown at every maternity ward in the State.

• hardware Erda, Ut
    Dec. 10, 2012 11:20 a.m.

I wish people would think twice before they saddle their kid with a name setting them up for failure. I know employers that read those names and chuck the application in the trash before even giving the individual a chance. They don't want "free spirits". They want solid employees and this one boss said he can tell what kind of family a child came from by their made up name and they usually aren't committed individuals.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 10, 2012 12:03 p.m.

Utah is not that strange. A friend of mine did his medical internship in Memphis and kept tract of all of the crazy names he heard and saw come through the hospital. The phenetically spelled names were really hillarious.

• H-man Shreveport, LA
    Dec. 10, 2012 12:10 p.m.

I agree with Go Big Blue!!! The phenomenon is not a Utah thing. I live in Louisiana, and I could have sworn the girls in the video had gathered their list from from school rosters here.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Dec. 10, 2012 2:17 p.m.

My sister-in-law just had her first kid and gave her one of these atrocious "Utah names"...I asked her why and she told me it's because she wants her daughter to feel unique and special. I told her that if the daughter's name is what's going to make her feel unique and special, then she and my brother-in-law are not doing a very good job as parents. You can be named Elizabeth and still feel unique and special. Plus my sister-in-law has ruined any chance my poor niece ever had at being taken seriously. I hope when she's old enough she changes her name to something dignified.

• SillyRabbit Layton, 00
    Dec. 10, 2012 3:04 p.m.

I've only made one decree about my children, so far, and that is their names will not begin with the letter K.

Whenever I read a reworked baby name that starts with a K, I feel like telling the parents, "Congratulations on your creativity, oh, I mean, Kongratulations on your kreativity."

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    Dec. 10, 2012 4:12 p.m.

Strange that this would matter but it does. My wife and I gave our kids gender neutral names for that among other reasons. Also names that could not be twisted or made fun of on the School Grounds. People do miss out on jobs or even callings because of their name. Sad to say Mr. Straight and Uptight the Employer tends to be right. However sometimes you can miss out on a real Gem.Name selection can become an excuse for poor self esteem or great confidence depending on how it is handled. I once worked a Direct Marketing Room with a Women named Peaches and she did poorly despite doing everything right. We got her to use her Middle Name which was more reasonable and her sales climbed way up. It appears No one was going to buy anything from anyone named Peaches. Sunshine and Pepperoni don't work well either. If you need to as an Adult you can go to Court and have your named changed it is not very expensive and you don't need a lawyer.It can mean a life time in difference in earnings and self esteem.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Dec. 10, 2012 5:34 p.m.

They may not be mormons but the Palin family has also read the book 'baby names that will leave people scratching their heads' as well.

• Phillip M Hotchkiss Malta, Mt
    Dec. 10, 2012 6:10 p.m.

I heard of a song called boy named Sue

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    Dec. 10, 2012 7:08 p.m.

another name for a boy is NonsMoking! kid you not the mom and dad thought it would cool to remind their kid to live the word of wisdom. it is no smoking put it all together an and is sounds like Nos_Mo_king. Parents that saddle their children with names like this should be slapped!

• Kjirstin Youngberg Mapleton, UT
    Dec. 10, 2012 7:37 p.m.

The comments above mention job and school issues. My research bore this out as well. Many employers put oddly-named prospective employees straight into the trash can. Kids have it tough enough without having to go through life with a name like Latrina. (Yes, that jewel was recently bestowed upon a precious Utah girl.)

When asked to write a baby name book*, I approached this topic gingerly, as I have nieces with very unusual names. Imagine my shock while researching for the book that my nieces names (entirely made-up by their parents) had ancient and even sacred roots. In some countries, they are not at all uncommon.

Wes and Kari Clark have a terrific website on the subject, and have been collecting names for over a decade. I tried to post their site, but DN rules forbid it, so google wesclark, utah baby names. It is definitely worth a read.

(*Sacred Baby Names, published this year by CFI and available at Deseret Book)

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Dec. 10, 2012 7:46 p.m.

Le-a is pronounced Ledasha in SC. (because the - is not silent)

• Rural sport fan DUCHESNE, UT
    Dec. 10, 2012 11:27 p.m.

Hey, Go Big Blue!

The word is "phonetically", and you are right, they are "hilarious". Until the 1000th time poor Xela has to explain it is "shayla", not zeela.

Seriously, some cultures spell names strangely because they are mostly semi-literate, Utah does it to be cute? Knock it off!

Maybe names like these are why so many significant Utahns use initials in their names, so they can be taken seriously?

• chinamom Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 2:11 a.m.

LOVED.THIS. We have definitely moved past all the "La" names of the early decades....LaVeryl, LaShal, LaMeryl, etc....that used to be so prevalent.....So much more creative now.....(is this when I should admit my oldest child has a "La" name...but ONLY because he was named after a wonderful relative my hubby respected and honored....??)

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Dec. 11, 2012 7:39 a.m.

Very funny but not at all unique to Utah. These girls ought to come down south sometime if they want a REAL feast of names.

• O'really Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 11, 2012 8:39 a.m.

They should do a video on Idaho names,too. Oh my!

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 9:34 a.m.

Making fun of names, no matter how impractical they may seem, is a horrible practice. We should celebrate people for who they are and not how ridiculous their names may be. These two girls have done this for comedic effect, not to share unique Utah names, as they manifested by changing the spelling of a name to make it funnier. They should be ashamed for this behavior. Most parents lovingly give their children names and they should not be made fun of, just as anyone of any certain physical/racial trait should be respected and not derided. Shame on them and shame on the rest of us for making fun of things like this.

• GeoMan SALEM, OR
    Dec. 11, 2012 9:47 a.m.

The problem with people poking fun at Utah, or Mormon, names is that they fail to realize that these types of names are common throughout the US. The only explanation I can come up with is that people grow up in a bubble where they think everyone has names from a short list and then as they move somewhere else, or go to a university, they suddenly realize that the world is much bigger. Apparently it frightens them and they respond by trying to incorrectly compartmentalize the "differences" into geography.
    Just go to any of the many states that publish lists of the names registered on birth certificates each year and you will quickly see that New York, Oregon, Minnesota, Alabama, and California, etc. all have a rich and diverse supply of "creative" parents that are not from Utah. Nor do they all belong to Utah's predominant religion.
    The video was cute. I think I would have toned down some of the accents and hairdos. To each his own, but even caricatures can be too extreme to be funny. Maybe they will do a sequel where they get people with their real names and accents on camera?

• BigBopper Vernal, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 10:52 a.m.

Who really cares what you name your child? My word, this has to be the most pointless article. A bunch of Michigan people making fun of Utah names? Get a life. I named my children a variety of distinct names, or paring of names, and I am proud of it. I also spell them differently than the 'norm.' What is that to you? For the Mormons, what if you are hit with inspiration? What about of the traditions of taking part of each of the parent's names to name a child? Who cares. If there is one thing, I will not make fun of a name given by a loving parent, you shouldn't either.

• CB Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 12:18 p.m.

This is great! And I thought I had a problem with my name (Cheryl) while growing up (1940's)

• Lasvegaspam Henderson, NV
    Dec. 11, 2012 12:25 p.m.

Ooops, BigBopper, a sore spot was obviously hit. However, I must add that Vernal, where you write from, has that same Utah-sounding twang which causes people to say it out loud in funny ways! Nothing personal; it’s just the way it is.

Just as your choice of using the phrase “my word” reveals something about you, so does your asking, “What about the traditions of taking part of each of the parent’s names to name a child?” Are you surprised that both are foreign to someone like me who was born and raised in Chicago? The point is that the world is larger than Vernal OR Utah.

Good for you to not make fun of a name given by a loving parent; however, the world will and does! One does a disservice to a child when one saddles him/her with a colloquial-type name. FYI, colloquialism means local or regional dialect. (Example: At the grocery store Utahns will ask if you’d like your items in a “sack”. Everywhere else the word “bag” is used.)

• Lasvegaspam Henderson, NV
    Dec. 11, 2012 8:32 p.m.

Good for you to not make fun of a name given by a loving parent; however, the world will and does! One does a disservice to a child when one saddles him/her with a colloquial-type name. FYI, colloquialism means local or regional dialect. (Example: At the grocery store Utahns will ask if you’d like your items in a “sack”. Everywhere else I’ve ever lived, the word “bag” is used.)

• Phillip M Hotchkiss Malta, Mt
    Dec. 11, 2012 8:53 p.m.

You can say that again lasvegaspam

• Allen Salt Lake valley, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 11:54 p.m.

I knew a guy named Donald Duckworth. He changed his name to Peter.

• anti-liar Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 12, 2012 5:31 a.m.

To some here, of course people shouldn't make fun of or roll their eyes at others' names. The problem is that we are not in a perfect world and some will do it anyway. This is why naming a girl "Abraham" is such an ill-advised idea.

• MA in MD FROSTBURG, MD
    Dec. 12, 2012 7:34 a.m.

Uh, no ... these are a burden to a child, but not as bad as the ones that come from the inner city neighborhoods of Baltimore!

• Mom of 8 Hyrum, UT
    Dec. 12, 2012 7:59 a.m.

When I lived in Virginia I saw a lot of strange names, too, unfortunately because parents were only semi-literate. One checker at a grocery store had the name of "Chasity" on her badge, but it was pronounced "Chastity."

She insisted the rest of the world didn't know how to spell the word right, not her parents.

We purposely made sure none of our children have names that begin with a "Mc" or a K, or named them after cities.

Perhaps we need to resurrect good solid old-fashioned names, like Walter and Ethyl . . .

• Mike in Sandy Sandy, UT
    Dec. 12, 2012 8:02 a.m.

Names aside---I speak of usage, grammar, sentence structure and syntax---- I have never seen the butchering of the English language as rampant as it is here in Utah.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    Dec. 12, 2012 10:17 a.m.

Another Utahism -- "oh my heck."

• Allen Salt Lake valley, UT
    Dec. 12, 2012 10:37 a.m.

@Lasvegaspam

Colloquialism really is regional, as you said. Your example of a sack/bag is a good example, because in West Virginia those things are called pokes.

If parents choose to give a child a strange name with weird spelling, that is their choice. I may think their choices are strange and funny, but I will never say anything to their child. Friendships are based on human relations not on the names we were given. My given name has the spelling of a surname not of a given name, because I was named after my great grandmother, Martha Allen. If people spell my name Alan or Allan, that's fine with me. They are conditioned to use the common spelling while I was given a different spelling. A similar situation exists with my surname of Leigh. My family pronounces it lay while the traditional pronunciation is lee. As long as I know they are referring to me, I don't care how they pronounce it. (I used to correct people until I had a math teacher at USU who ignored my corrections and continued to call me lee. After my experiences with her, I realized her pronunciation was not important)

• Brent Walton GIG HARBOR, WA
    Dec. 12, 2012 10:37 a.m.

I am not a girl, but I've always wondered why my name was so concentrated in Utah. Every other Brent I've known also had Utah roots.

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 12, 2012 10:55 a.m.

It's not a "Utah" thing. It's a US thing. Am I the only one who thinks it's a little obnoxious that these girls are running around making fun of UT when they're not really Utahns?

• holly56 LOVELAND, CO
    Dec. 12, 2012 9:32 p.m.

Bwahahaha! My given name is HOLLIS!!! But I'm 56 years old... LOL

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2012 10:08 a.m.

I've never, in my 57 years, had anyone ask me if I wanted my items in a sack. "paper or plastic" maybe. And then I just told them I don't use credit cards...

• Dr H LAYTON, UT
    Dec. 17, 2012 11:53 a.m.

I think our modern Western culture is perhaps the first in history to give their children sounds for names, instead of a word that actually means something significant. Native American names like Sitting Bull, etc carried special meanings, just as ancient Israelite names did (ie, Jesus wasn't named that because it sounded cute, rather because the name literally means 'Jehovah saves' in Hebrew). Our Western culture used to name its children after ancestors or other individuals who might serve as role models. It's a pity that we have now turned to labeling our children forever with cute sounds, like McKayla and a thousand other names that have no meaning whatsoever. A name can be such a significant thing that it's a shame to waste such an opportunity. My name is David, which means 'beloved' in Hebrew and is of course the name of one of the greatest Bible heroes. That has been an inspiration to me since I was old enough to learn about the Biblical David. Too bad so many kids will never have that kind of legacy.