Faith

NBA takes a page from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Comments

• Breakfast of Champions Provo, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 7:55 p.m.

Hahaha, does DN try to throw "Mormon" in the title whenever they can just to get more hits? This was the biggest stretch for a connection ever.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Nov. 26, 2012 8:21 p.m.

I took a page from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir once when I stood up and sang.

• Fifth Angel Orem, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 9:36 p.m.

Try watching the video before commenting. It wasn't the DeseretNews that pointed out that the Choir sings this song, it was the national news.

• rok San Diego, CA
    Nov. 26, 2012 11:13 p.m.

That's quite the stretch just to get the Mormon tie-in there.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Nov. 27, 2012 6:05 a.m.

Watch the ABC News video first before commenting...

• Rock Calgary, Alberta
    Nov. 27, 2012 6:07 a.m.

jeez, what a bunch of insecure whiners.

• The Dixie Kid Saint George, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 6:14 a.m.

The Mo Tab was the first thing I thought of when I saw this video. Plus, I think its funny how hard D Wade is concentrating to get his part right.

• Bob Aagard holladay, ut
    Nov. 27, 2012 8:37 a.m.

I watched the video. It was NOTHING like any rendition of Carol of the Bells I have heard the Mormon Tabernacle Choir perform. I was thinking more along the lines of The Muppets.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    Nov. 27, 2012 9:26 a.m.

Come on guys, you're always telling us that WE (LDS)should loosen up and not take ourselves so seriously.
    Now who's being grinch-ish :)

• Jimmy James Salt Lake City, Ut
    Nov. 27, 2012 3:22 p.m.

I watched the video and I still think this is a stretch to get the Mormon tie-in. It's articles like these that represent so well my growing disappointment with the Deseret News. As a very active Mormon, it saddens me that Des News has given up on reporting local news and only wants to do interest pieces on "Mormon" news. Mormons in the NFL, Mormons getting married. The other day when a local boy won his age bracket in a world chess tournament, the emphasis was placed on how it was an opportunity for him to share his faith rather than just letting us know how cool it is there's a chess champion among us.

We already have Church News. It's called: LDS church news. Sadly, now we only have one local newspaper that actually covers local stories (and it's not the Deseret news).

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 27, 2012 4:09 p.m.

I love the video.
    The "Mormon" tie was stated by ABC news,
    This is in the Faith section of DN, the same section that contains LDS Church News.
    There is nothing wrong with DN reporting on this.
    Seriously, you guys, don't you have something better to whine about?

• Tim Jones Salt Lake City, Ut
    Nov. 27, 2012 4:31 p.m.

idablu: Good point on it being in the "faith" section, I hadn't realized this. I found the article because the Des News had listed it as a "top story". (It's not.) However, the "tie-in" by ABC news is not actually a tie-in. They simply needed video / music of somebody else singing Carol of the bells for an example, and just so happened to choose the Mo-tab rendition. Carol of the bells is not a Mormon song nor was it made famous by Mo-tab. Mo-tab just happens to be one of the many groups to have performed it. This is not a Mormon moment and it bugs me that Des News is trying to portray it as so.

• ryanwin Mapleton, UT
    Nov. 28, 2012 12:21 p.m.

For this to actually bother some people that Des News acknowledged the tie in that ABC made is so funny! OCD much, people? ROFL!