Utah

Obama says Republicans must agree to tax wealthy to avoid 'fiscal cliff'

Comments

• whatnext Clearfield, Utah
    Nov. 15, 2012 2:05 p.m.

I want to know how this will help increase job opperturnities and reduce to deficit. It does not make sence to me.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 15, 2012 2:20 p.m.

No one will question this president. He won't answer questions. Just ignore those that question you, and use the executive order to shove your agenda down peoples throats.

Potus "There you go, take your medicince....soon it will be over and this will be the new norm"

• BYUtah Fan Herriman, UT
    Nov. 15, 2012 2:20 p.m.

The fiscal cliff will hurt the Obama constituency (the poor, single women, minorities and young people trying to get a job) far more than the Romney voters. They voted for him so I think they ought to get the benefit of their bargain. So, lets play chicken and see who blinks first.

• CPA Howard Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
    Nov. 15, 2012 4:33 p.m.

Raising taxes will not cure the problem. To understand the issue and why rasing taxes won't cure the problem, you need to put a trillion in persepctive. One way to put a trillion in perspective is if you made a million dollars a day since the birth of Christ you still would be ~200 billion short. Another way is how many how many seconds are in a trillion, 31,709. If we taxed everyone making over a million 100%, you still wouldn't even start to close the gap. The answer is we need to cut entitlements and everyone pays something in to the system. Taxing the wealthy is a smoke screen to mask the real problem, to many entitlements.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 15, 2012 4:40 p.m.

Let's tax the rich?

Wow! It’s beginning. A short list of companies planning lay-offs after the election, because of the wealthy projecting added costs of Obama care:

•Texas Instruments
    •Tooele County Government
    •Aviation Services
    •Potash Corp.
    •PaPa Johns Pizza
    •Applebees
    •Westgate Resorts

A short and growing list. The golden goose is gone.

• CPA Howard Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
    Nov. 15, 2012 5:13 p.m.

Let me see we have elected for the second time a person with ZERO business experience and we wonder why we are in trouble. I am always amazed that the liberals don't factor in how businesses or business owners will react when taxes or fees go up. The haven't figured out that businesses DON'T PAY TAXES. The taxes are passed through to the consumer through either an increase in the price, a decrease in services, or a decrease in the size of the product. If they are unable to pass it through they will reduce what the employees get in benefits or compensation.

Until the liberals understand that basic principle the economy will go only get worse.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Nov. 15, 2012 6:43 p.m.

What Obama says: "We need to compromise."

What Obama means: "You Republicans need to know your place and do what I say without questioning my judgement, and if you don't, any misfortune that may come our way is your fault."

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 15, 2012 7:25 p.m.

Higher taxes, unemployment, and deficits.

Will this improve over the next four years?

How will taxing the rich, help the poor?

• Way of the Warrior ANACORTES, WA
    Nov. 15, 2012 9:16 p.m.

Wait, are we talking about an actual tax increase or a simple expiration of Bush era tax cuts? Either way, both sides need to compromise, not just the Republican party, Mr. President. Personally, I'd rather hear how congress is going to curtail spending money we don't have.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Nov. 15, 2012 9:48 p.m.

I hope we hit the cliff.

That's so everyone's paycheck reflects the reversal of the dramatic tax reductions the Bush Tax Cuts gave to the lower end of the income scale - far more dramatic than what the top got.

Maybe when people see their check, the republicans will be seen as having long ago done well for vast majority of the middle class and gotten little credit for it.

Then, we can reset the rates with a sense of realism, more recognition for forethought and less partisan vitriol.

• SoCalChris Riverside, CA
    Nov. 15, 2012 9:52 p.m.

Close loopholes. Don't raise rates.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 15, 2012 10:45 p.m.

All the money in America won't pay off the debt. Throw in our houses, cars, or belongings, and it doesn't matter. Wealthy, or poor.

Not even close. Foreclosure?

• Phillip M Hotchkiss Malta, Mt
    Nov. 16, 2012 6:44 a.m.

You TAKE from the haves amd you GIVE to the have nots. Soon no one has. Let the haves help those who have not. And both have.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 8:21 a.m.

Obama will work across the aisle. He will pass a note across that reads MY Way I won. Remember Republicans can come along but they have to ride in the back of the bus.What a fraud.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    Nov. 16, 2012 5:09 p.m.

Where are all the Obama followers to explain how this will reduce the deficit and increase employment?
    I suspect as the years pass by Obama's supporters will conveniently disappear.
    Except for those who need free phones and more entitlements.
    And whatever doesn't work will be blamed on someone else.
    I've never seen an administration dodge the blame for things that happened during their watch like the current one.
    But I still love my country. It's the best!

• Bebyebe UUU, UT
    Nov. 16, 2012 6:42 p.m.

The rich are no friends of mine. TAX em.

Get rid of most tax deductions.

• Phillip M Hotchkiss Malta, Mt
    Nov. 16, 2012 8:51 p.m.

Bebyebe so you base your friendship on how much money one makes ? Sounds like your being blinded by what someone had made of their life. Im dirt poor but admire what they done and can do with what they made. They made it ,we can,. I choose to live meagerly and my well to do friends do not look down on me.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 17, 2012 1:25 a.m.

Bebyebe,

Good. Obama is not your friend. Do you think he paid more because of his wealth? Did he pay taxes on the eighty million spent on a Hawaiian vacation?

• John Wicks Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 17, 2012 8:02 a.m.

Obama needs to be impeached before he sells us down the road.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Nov. 17, 2012 8:25 a.m.

Class warfare is alive and well. I stand amazed that people who are either to ignorant, to lacking in education, to lazy, or just to unlucky have so much dislike for those that have done what it takes to be successful. I think envy is the keyword.

• Clarissa Layton, UT
    Nov. 18, 2012 11:12 a.m.

Sometimes I wish that the states or people who want all of this free stuff should just start their own country. How about 'The United States of Entitlements?' My husband thought of that one. People are coveting things that are not theirs. They also want instant gratification. If someone has worked hard and earned a billion dollars, I am glad for them, as long as they did it honestly. America is about opportunities to improve ones future. Some of my ancestors came through Ellis Island to escape their lack of possiblities in Poland and other countries. I'm sure they are not jealous of my accomplishments. I was the first child in my family to graduate from college. It has certainly made a big difference, and no, I am no where near the 2%.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Nov. 18, 2012 1:16 p.m.

How come no one talks about all the unpaid wars? Remember cut and run? Republicans are hypocrites.

• John20000 Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 4:00 p.m.

Our country's financial situation is less like a fiscal cliff and more like quicksand. Every second, we owe more (debt) because we spend more than we tax (deficit). Spend less and people struggle. Tax more and people struggle. Is there another alternative? Yes. Freeze government spending at current levels and grow the economy (which increases tax revenue without increasing tax rates).

Or we could grow government spending and freeze the economy. Wait. We tried that the last four years.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 1:29 p.m.

Yes, class warfare is alive and well, but it is perfectly legitimate to argue for a progressive tax system where higher earning levels pay a higher % of taxes.

And let's be honest here - while Obama has not done anything to fulfill his promises of changing the way Washington works (lobbyists, transparency, etc.), the Republicans have done NOTHING to reach across the aisle or compromise on any points. True, it appears they are willing to play a game of chicken to the death, but that false bravado and unwillingness to compromise not only lost them the last election but is going to seriously harm our country.